GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

Fun team and place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 22, 2016
Easy going, enthusiastic team.
Great location et benefits
Management was not the best, it could be a little better
It is a good place for student
fun and friendly place to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 15, 2016
I have gained excellent customer service skills and have met very friendly people. Over time I have some regular customers that like to come shop when I am working.
new experience
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 11, 2016
I haven't really worked for a long time at the GAP, but the reason why I had to stop working there is that they give very minimum hours per week, which was not what I was looking for by that time. My co-workers were very friendly and fun to work with.
great
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 7, 2016
good people you work with, fun and flexible. just couldnt stay longer because of school.
if you dont reach the sale target some managers will be a little difficult about it but eh thats normal
slavery work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2016
The Gap inc, very friendly place to work, just need to make sure they are serious about their work schedule, i've been called to not come in "because we aren't busy" how do you know when your going to be busy? you are in the heart of downtown on Bloor Street. (One time I didnt go to work for entire week) Too many Team Leaders and not a lot of training is provided, Care too much about how the company is labeled and advertised and care less about their staff unless its staff that have been their for longer than 2 years
Pros
great clothing
Cons
unorganized and careless
good experience
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 27, 2016
amazing place to work, on an average day i would pick merchandise and load unto trucks. i learned how to me very efficient and organised
Short Term Contract
IT Consultant (contract) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 23, 2016
This was a pop up seasonal contract that only lasted through the Christmas holiday. Nightshift during a cold cold winter. Good experience working within the Network environment.
Pros
I got to prove myself
Cons
It was a temp gig
Awesome retail place to work... for both hours, and experience.
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 14, 2016
The staff perks are awesome if you like shopping, and the atmosphere is friendly. This is an awesome place to build customer service skills and build a love for fashion. Basic telephone skills are taught and not too much responsibility for high school entry level work.
Pros
Discount perks
Cons
maybe lack of full time positions
retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 9, 2016
a typical day at work very busy. I learned to manage my time and work quickly and efficiently. I was really enjoyable to work there with my amazing co-workers.
Pros
discount
One manager was hard to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONAugust 8, 2016
As a student there are certain things I am unable to control such as exam periods. I was unable to get the time off for my Saturday exam because I was unaware that it would be on a Saturday in December, and I had already booked time off to go home for three days in order to have some time with my family. This meant I had to blow a shift in order to write my exam because the manager would not give me time off. Then they stopped giving me shifts all together and I was not aware or told I had been fired.
It's alright.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2016
My job as a Sales Associate/Cashier has given me a start on how to provide great customer service and to assist customers with trying on different types of clothing. Management at my location is pretty good, however they push you very hard sometimes even when they know that sometimes a sale can't/won't happen (during slow days, or even when the customer clearly just wants to look around and I've done all I could). The coworkers are excellent and are always in a positive mood as well as friendly, which makes it very tolerable. Nothing terribly hard or amazing since it's such a basic starting position to be quite honest. However, they always hire so many people to work for my location that it's completely overstaffed. This leads to not getting enough or even barely any hours/shifts. Even though I'm currently still employed with them with what should be a part time permanent position, I haven't had a SINGLE shift in months. I know most, if not all, of the people that still work at my location don't even get more than 20 hours a week. I understand that sometimes hours get cut due to economic/business reasons and I'm not expecting to get an insane amount of hours weekly, but this is just ridiculous. They might as well advertise that they are hiring seasonal associates without promising how many hours they'll receive. They really need to rethink their hiring practices and policies in my opinion. Lastly when it comes to pay, it's very basic at minimum wage. Don't expect any raises (unless min. wage is going to go up while you work there, or you are making a crazy amount of sales and  more... the managers favor you). It seems to me that there is little to no room for advancement from within, unless again you are just beyond amazing at the job and the managers "worship" you, or you have prior management experience from somewhere else.  less
Pros
Great working environment and coworkers are awesome.
Cons
Practically little to no shifts (for me anyway). Little to no room for advancement.
A wonderful work environment
District Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2016
The better part of my day was the chance to help develop top talent to become future leaders. It gave me the chance to guide people into areas of the business that best suited them and their goals.
Pros
Friendly environment
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 25, 2016
The job was okay. Was very over staffed, didn't get the hours i asked for, the management didn't have much of a relation with other members of staff, and it just seemed like there was a lot of politics in that location.
good job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 14, 2016
best place to work.
great managers
great co-workers
busy during holidays
I enjoy working with the Gap family & the costumers
Fun workplace with good coworkers to create a fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 12, 2016
Good starting job for any high school student as you are able to develop your people skills while interacting with others. Able to meet new people and create friendships with others. Gain responsibility for your actions and able to learn from those experiences.
The management was good
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2016
This company had the best management, but it had the worst salary. Also, the raise on your salary was next to nothing. One of my co-workers got a 3 cent raise after working for one year.
Gap Inc BCC (Closed Now)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 10, 2016
punch in and start with go backs. clean sections typically on the adult side which was more messier. did cash sometimes but usually I would be on the floor helping customers with sizes or even arranging sections. Pay wasn't as good and management was very terrible
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Pay was terrible
Great First Job With Many Amazing Employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJuly 7, 2016
Gap was a great experience for me as it taught me a lot about sale skills and talking to people in general. I find I'm much more confident with talking to strangers.

The atmosphere was extremely happy and fun yet focused which I loved because it was a perfect mix. Our costumers were our first priority and I made sure that was key everyday.
Overall Decent
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 5, 2016
At first glance, it is a perfect job. Typically get the hours you want, asking the manager is all you really need to move positions (same base pay). Younger staff, personable people. The job starts weighing harder on you a few months in. Managers can be flaky and unhelpful at times, and while they are often doing their best, they can only do so much to salvage a dying company. Furthermore, Sometimes managers like to pull rank on each other, which makes things difficult in higher stress situations. Often, I would show up to work and they'd cut shifts that didn't need to be cut, often leaving two people to handle a busy days' cleanup just to meet comp. On special promotion days and holidays, managers would get food for the staff, which was nice. Customers are the worst part of the job, as to be expected. Often, managers will bend company policy without explaining them to the customer, so it reflects horribly on regular staff, who now look stubborn and uninformed. Pay is increased based on performance, but seasonal employees make a higher base and often are asked to stay, and are often not the most competent workers, leaving lower payed and overall better employees doing most of the work. Pay is also not scaled, so if minimum wage increases, no matter what your current salary is, it will not increase with it, which feels like a wage loss. Not a horrible place to work if you have ins with managers, but it gets draining and monotonous (even if every day is a new experience, it's usually a cookie cutter bad one with customers). Also has one of the best discounts a retail  more... store could offer.  less
Pros
Friendly staff and managers, amazing discount.
Cons
Unstable hours, shaky management team, no visible upward mobility.
Great Structure and routine
Assistant Manager/Men's and Kids Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ONJuly 4, 2016
Gap is the company that founded specialised clothing retail. They have been around long enough to know a lot about what works day in and day out and have structured themselves around what works. solid operational foundations, and realistic goals setting have made this a great learning enviornment.