GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

Good Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 October 2017
Good staff with great management team pushing emplyees to make sales. Customers are the biggest con of this job but besides this the job is a good work environment
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  toronto13 October 2017
it was a good experience, the employees were not very friendly because they never took the time to get to know their fellow co-workers, they always cut shifts
Pros
good amount of breaks
Cons
when i get a shift, they cut it in half and send me home early
fun place to work
Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 October 2017
working at the gap was a very fun experience. the whole team was in great moods. they made coming to work very fun. the environment was always happy and uplifting. they would always have potlucks every Friday. they would reward their employess with food and prizes. I never felt like an employe there I felt like family.
Pros
very uplifting team
Cons
very long hours
amazing coworkers and environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2017
difficult management, do not consider the needs of the employees and mistreat employees as well. Scheduling is disorganized and do not give out even hours to employees
Great discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John East, NB7 October 2017
The best part about this job, was helping customers find what they needed. The hardest part was, not having enough, staff on the sales floor. The store manager, was hardly ever on the sales floor. The assistant managers, were great except for one being negative most days. Overall my time at the Gap was good.
Pros
Discount
Stayed for the coworkers and comfort
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2017
Retail in general is a stressful environment. Without the support of your manager it's just no longer bearable, which was the case with me. The best years working at the Gap are when team support is unbreakable and you have coworkers to rely on.
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2017
good work environment. Love the people and love the clothing. Really good training and very fast paced. Loved working at the TPO Gap. Would love to go back if i could.
This was a terrible place to work
Key Holder/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2017
I didn't enjoy working here.
It was very disorganized. One manager would say one thing about the schedule and then the other the complete opposite.
Customers weren't the best either.
The company apparently spies on the staff with tiny cameras in the cash registers....which is what I was told by them anyways....
No trust for their employees.
Pros
Alot of hours
Cons
Bad pay
great place to work
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Bolton, ON24 September 2017
great place to work. great team and management. good pay and benefits. good teamwork environment.
fast paced environment and productivity required and expected.
Pros
all
Cons
Fun workplace with generous employee discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2017
Gap was my first job as I entered university and it allowed me the opportunity to work for a company with a strong and recognizable brand image. This ubiquitous retailer employed a diverse group of people and the managers I worked with were very flexible with my class schedule. I enjoyed my time with the company as it gave me great exposure to the workings of a retailer.
Pros
Very strong and effective associate on-boarding program that was mirrored by other companies
Great people/management
Sales Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 September 2017
The management will support you and want to further your development. Very accommodating to student schedule. Great work environment, I was happy to go to work!
Fine but very boring.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB11 September 2017
The work that you do at the gap is very routine, nothing really changes, you have busy and slow days but other then that it is very boring. I found that I never really became a part of the work team, they never signed me up for benefits or anything but they wouldn't listen to me when I tried to ask. Being young was definitely a disadvantage and I felt very looked down upon.
Decent.
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2017
I can barely remember what it was like to work there. It was a forgettable job however I have no complaints about any aspects of the job at all. Decent.
fun place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC7 September 2017
love going into work
everyone i work with is amazing
i always know may tasks and always know who to go to when i need something to do
well organized environment
Pros
environment
Cons
not enough hours
boring work folding clothes.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petaing Jaya, Malaysia5 September 2017
folding clothes, making sure we keep and eye on the customer(s) upselling and matching styles to increase sales
rigid environment, long work hours, no real advancement in the career.
Pros
discounts on items
Cons
boring and long hours
High energy, high productive, high drive to succeed
Manager (Current Employee) –  Whistler, BC3 September 2017
I love that every day is different. There are new items in store weekly, new promotions, and new approaches. What I've learned most is how to adapt to change while still maintaining a positive attitude, and putting the customer first. There's never a dull moment, and there are opportunities to excel and find your best. What can be challenging is adjusting your personal priorities to match the business needs, but in the end you learn a valuable skill. The job is rewarding, and the team works well together. This particular location is an award-winning location, and they are competitive!
Pros
Lots of opportunity for work (6am to midnight - can fit around other jobs), Great people, Leadership team communicates well, Focused on winning
Cons
Changes in business needs require an open mind to adaptations
Fun, fast pace working environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2017
A typical day at work would be to live and have fun by demonstrating the companies core values.

What I have learned is together as a team we learn quickly from our experiences and strive to win or achieve our goals as a store.

Managers inspire and drive performance of their team through coaching and feedback.

The workplace culture is always fun , exciting and challenging.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with people of all ages and backgrounds.
Inconsistent Work and Unfriendly/inconsistent Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 August 2017
Management is inconsistent. They keep hiring new people when they always send you home early or cancel your shifts a day in advance.

I don't know how they can keep hiring new employees when they can't even give hours to the employees they already have. They say full time hours but send you home because management has no idea how to budget. Expect only $90 per week or in 2 weeks (get paid biweekly) you get paid $190 at most... that's with you picking up extra shifts.

3/5 managers are very rude and made you feel scared to make any mistakes because of the attitude they give you. You are not treated with respect from management. One manager will tell you will thing and the other manager will get mad at you for doing that exact same thing that you were just told what to do. Hours inconsistent and not a good working environment. Only plus is the other employees are nice.. but almost all employees have a problem with management styles.

Hopefully other GAP locations are better.. hopefully it's just this location...
Pros
Other employees, employee discount
Cons
Rude and inconsistent management, no/inconsistent hours, always sent home early with frequent shifts cancelled.
Don't work here
Lead (Former Employee) –  Ontario25 August 2017
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Micro managing all over the place from corporate right down to store level. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 August 2017
I enjoyed my time with Gap, they taught me everything I needed to know to survive in retail, while providing me with a great place to learn and excel. The managers were great and always super helpful. Made lots of friends there and we had a great time together. Just as any retail job it got quite repetitive at the end, but overall it is a great beginner job and it's very possible to keep rising up within the company.
Pros
Long breaks, great people
Cons
menial

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAP Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.