GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

Not many opportunities, but overall pretty good
Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Alberta17 March 2017
I enjoy working here; it is a decent job for a student. The management is great and so is the overall working environment. However, it is rare for anyone to receive a raise or promotion, even if you've been working there for a long time. Regardless of how hard you work, you don't make any extra money, which is why I believe employees should either get commission for their work, or cashiers ask every customer who helped them out and that employee would receive some sort of compensation.
Pros
Good Managers
Cons
No Opportunities or Rewards
Busy workplace with good coworkers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2016
This is one of the better jobs I have had. Great coworkers, sweet discount (50%). The one major downside is that because Gap has a higher price point than somewhere like Old Navy (even though it's run by the same people), it attracts lots of richer people. I once had a woman come in looking for a winter jacket to replace her 2 y/o daughters Prada winter coat! Hardest part of this job is keeping your cool with entitled and impossible customers, as well as some of the early start shifts (for restocking the floor, starts around 6am).
Pros
Great discount and coworkers
Cons
Super early hours sometimes
Very fun and flexible place to work
Brand Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 January 2017
Working at Old Navy (Gap Inc.) has been very interesting and fun. I've learned a lot, and had so much fun in the process. One of the best things for me is how incredibly flexible the workplace is (at least at my branch).
Pros
Very energetic place to work, lots of fun
Cons
Physically demanding job (watch out for long shifts)
Easy work but can get boring
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON15 February 2017
Worked here for less then a year because I got another opportunity somewhere else. The work was generally easy, folding clothes and organizing. I never got to the cash because i wasn't there very long.
Worst part is doing shipment at 530 in the morning.
Good place to work but needs improvement on hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 March 2017
Typical work day included cleaning up around the store, helping customers, processing transactions and greeting customers. At times you would be required to do ship from store as well.
Pros
fun work enviornment
Cons
Not nearly enough hours.
Work was easy and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
It was fast paced at times, there was always something to do. At the beginning of working there it was fun and it was a placed i loved to go to but a couple months later management had changed and it felt like i didn't belong, or didn't want to work there anymore. The reason why i had quit was because of poor management and a lack of action put forth for reasons that are personal. I learned how to deal with a variety of customers, and a way of speaking when trying to give opinions or selling products. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting coworkers that ended up being my closest friends.
Pros
Work parties after hours, meeting new people
customer service,management
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2017
Great work place, learned a lot very customer focused. Great culture. Most enjoyable part of my job was helping the employees grow and reach too the next level. And always holding the company too the highest standards.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
very clean, great people to work with
MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR ACTING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Bolton, ON30 January 2017
leading the maintenance team was very rewarding, Developing a strong and skilled team , controlling assets and providing all necessary tools to grow, while staying in budget made for a great day overall.
Great place to start
Brand Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 February 2017
Perfect first job for busy individuals, flexible hours and almost any time off you need. Shifts range from 3 hours to 9 hours in one day, and they will always try their hardest to not pay you for a break which is unfortunate. Not bad, but not great.
Productive and good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 March 2017
I really enjoyed my first canadian experience at work, but unfortunately I didn't get along with the manager who was always in a bad day. But we talked and got along, which helped the production of the store during the holidays.
Productive and principled workplace
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Bayview Village, ON13 March 2017
The staff are friendly and welcoming in the store and try to help the new employees with tasks and other responsibilities. Also on some of the days they offered free pizza and juice which was really awesome.
Great work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON9 March 2017
All co-workers are friendly. Feels really warm. Work made easier with such friendly and cooperative managers. Fairly an easy job. Great experience to have for a new starter in retail.
Pros
Friendly managers
Cons
Not a lot of hours
slavery work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
The Gap inc, very friendly place to work, just need to make sure they are serious about their work schedule, i've been called to not come in "because we aren't busy" how do you know when your going to be busy? you are in the heart of downtown on Bloor Street. (One time I didnt go to work for entire week) Too many Team Leaders and not a lot of training is provided, Care too much about how the company is labeled and advertised and care less about their staff unless its staff that have been their for longer than 2 years
Pros
great clothing
Cons
unorganized and careless
productive and friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2017
only my both managers mans are friendly and good with the employers the other people is very rude with the news person or when you are the other culture or country they dont help you.
Pros
free lunches
Nice place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC12 January 2017
GAP is a nice place to work, specially for who loves the brand. Good managers, flexible schedule, nice colleagues. I've been improved my vocabulary and customer service skill.
Pros
Discount of 50% for workers
Cons
Few hours a week
Easy job with lots of physical labour
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 March 2017
Working at gap was easy and it gave an opportunity to start up a job career in Kamloops. It was more of a physically active job then mentally active job as compared to m past experience.
Could have been better
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2017
I was only seasonal. but I was never trained well. if I folded things wrong I got yelled at.. asked several times to be trained with nothing. never got days i requested off. wouldn't go back personally
Comfortable work environment
Sales Associate, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC3 January 2017
Gap is a good start into retail with flexible hours. Great management and sales team makes it a great place to work. Easy to learn and pick up the basics of retail.
Pros
employee discount
Summer job
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 March 2017
It was a fast paced environment and the staff was friendly and welcoming. The managment was intimidating but kept great order. I learned alot working there and i appreciate the work experience.
One manager was hard to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON8 August 2016
As a student there are certain things I am unable to control such as exam periods. I was unable to get the time off for my Saturday exam because I was unaware that it would be on a Saturday in December, and I had already booked time off to go home for three days in order to have some time with my family. This meant I had to blow a shift in order to write my exam because the manager would not give me time off. Then they stopped giving me shifts all together and I was not aware or told I had been fired.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAP Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.