GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

Gap Inc BCC (Closed Now)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2016
punch in and start with go backs. clean sections typically on the adult side which was more messier. did cash sometimes but usually I would be on the floor helping customers with sizes or even arranging sections. Pay wasn't as good and management was very terrible
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Pay was terrible
Fun team and place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 September 2016
Easy going, enthusiastic team.
Great location et benefits
Management was not the best, it could be a little better
It is a good place for student
The management was good
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2016
This company had the best management, but it had the worst salary. Also, the raise on your salary was next to nothing. One of my co-workers got a 3 cent raise after working for one year.
Overall Decent
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 July 2016
At first glance, it is a perfect job. Typically get the hours you want, asking the manager is all you really need to move positions (same base pay). Younger staff, personable people. The job starts weighing harder on you a few months in. Managers can be flaky and unhelpful at times, and while they are often doing their best, they can only do so much to salvage a dying company. Furthermore, Sometimes managers like to pull rank on each other, which makes things difficult in higher stress situations. Often, I would show up to work and they'd cut shifts that didn't need to be cut, often leaving two people to handle a busy days' cleanup just to meet comp. On special promotion days and holidays, managers would get food for the staff, which was nice. Customers are the worst part of the job, as to be expected. Often, managers will bend company policy without explaining them to the customer, so it reflects horribly on regular staff, who now look stubborn and uninformed. Pay is increased based on performance, but seasonal employees make a higher base and often are asked to stay, and are often not the most competent workers, leaving lower payed and overall better employees doing most of the work. Pay is also not scaled, so if minimum wage increases, no matter what your current salary is, it will not increase with it, which feels like a wage loss. Not a horrible place to work if you have ins with managers, but it gets draining and monotonous (even if every day is a new experience, it's usually a cookie cutter bad one with customers). Also has one of the best discounts a retail  more... store could offer.  less
Pros
Friendly staff and managers, amazing discount.
Cons
Unstable hours, shaky management team, no visible upward mobility.
It's alright.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2016
My job as a Sales Associate/Cashier has given me a start on how to provide great customer service and to assist customers with trying on different types of clothing. Management at my location is pretty good, however they push you very hard sometimes even when they know that sometimes a sale can't/won't happen (during slow days, or even when the customer clearly just wants to look around and I've done all I could). The coworkers are excellent and are always in a positive mood as well as friendly, which makes it very tolerable. Nothing terribly hard or amazing since it's such a basic starting position to be quite honest. However, they always hire so many people to work for my location that it's completely overstaffed. This leads to not getting enough or even barely any hours/shifts. Even though I'm currently still employed with them with what should be a part time permanent position, I haven't had a SINGLE shift in months. I know most, if not all, of the people that still work at my location don't even get more than 20 hours a week. I understand that sometimes hours get cut due to economic/business reasons and I'm not expecting to get an insane amount of hours weekly, but this is just ridiculous. They might as well advertise that they are hiring seasonal associates without promising how many hours they'll receive. They really need to rethink their hiring practices and policies in my opinion. Lastly when it comes to pay, it's very basic at minimum wage. Don't expect any raises (unless min. wage is going to go up while you work there, or you are making a crazy amount of sales and  more... the managers favor you). It seems to me that there is little to no room for advancement from within, unless again you are just beyond amazing at the job and the managers "worship" you, or you have prior management experience from somewhere else.  less
Pros
Great working environment and coworkers are awesome.
Cons
Practically little to no shifts (for me anyway). Little to no room for advancement.
Gap
General Labour (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 October 2016
Very good pay, options for overtime, work is repetitive but do able. Good hard work gets rewarded, comfortable and safe environment
Pros
paid break
Fun place to be
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 October 2016
I would come in, clock in, check my emails, and then get on the floor and begin selling product to customers and giving them one on one experiences. Throughout the day I would coach my associates on giving the best customer service and what that looks like. Depending on the shift I'd either be opening or closing the store (putting cash in the drawers or completing the deposit, updating our promo or writing the closing email).
I learned how to truly be a leader and what leadership aspects and styles worked best for me and showed to be successful to me. The management team was great, everyone was hard working, driven, and strives for the store's success, it was a really great motivation to be the same. Everyone I worked with took well and were easy to lift with my energy, everyone took advice well and was fun to be around.
The hardest part of the job was when I was a merchandiser, the only merchandiser at the time, through Christmas, but I managed to keep a small team rallied and focused on getting everything done.
I'm a people person, so the most enjoyable part of the job is the people, whether it's a customer, someone I'm working with, or interviewing future associates.
One manager was hard to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON8 August 2016
As a student there are certain things I am unable to control such as exam periods. I was unable to get the time off for my Saturday exam because I was unaware that it would be on a Saturday in December, and I had already booked time off to go home for three days in order to have some time with my family. This meant I had to blow a shift in order to write my exam because the manager would not give me time off. Then they stopped giving me shifts all together and I was not aware or told I had been fired.
Excellent workplace
Loss Prevention Agent (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON22 March 2016
Excellent workplace and benefits.
Good hours of work
Friendly and professional managers and co-workers
Good company to work for
slavery work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
The Gap inc, very friendly place to work, just need to make sure they are serious about their work schedule, i've been called to not come in "because we aren't busy" how do you know when your going to be busy? you are in the heart of downtown on Bloor Street. (One time I didnt go to work for entire week) Too many Team Leaders and not a lot of training is provided, Care too much about how the company is labeled and advertised and care less about their staff unless its staff that have been their for longer than 2 years
Pros
great clothing
Cons
unorganized and careless
Awful management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 June 2016
Never scheduled enough workers especially in the mornings. Mornings often consisted of 2 managers, 1 cashier, and 1-2 floor people, a store this size requires more than 5 employees to run it. The store was never under scheduled due to lack of employees management always made sure there was 50+ employees at all times, they simply refused to give everyone the hours we all desperate need and deserve. On top of everything I cant even say we were at least given a superb discount to cancel out the lack of hours, there is nothing superb about 25%.
Merchandiser, Sales Associate
Merchandiser, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2016
Enjoy Merchandising and Sales Associate Responsibilities. Jobs focused on creating an enjoyable Experience for Customers and increasing sales for the companies I have worked for and presently work for.

Creating clean, attractive displays and maintaining same, key to satisfying customer. Having a smile and positive attitude evident to customer that I enjoy my day to day responsibilities.
Pros
Clean store, good management, learning new skills, good customer experiences ongoing
Cons
Only if pros are not followed, and they are continually followed by myself
Typical Work Day at Gap
Seasonal/Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2016
Majority of the management team is composed of very hard-working dedicate, friendly people, however there are some exclusions as per usual.
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2016
The job was okay. Was very over staffed, didn't get the hours i asked for, the management didn't have much of a relation with other members of staff, and it just seemed like there was a lot of politics in that location.
A very good company as a start in Canada. They were very helpful to let me prepare for my medical certification in my profession
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2016
I work in Banana republic, Shops at Don Mills. My manager was so helpful with me, due to being new in Canada, and a mother of a 4 yrs old son. They appreciate hard workers, and offer managerial positions when they people are qualified. They were super helpful to let me take weeks off to prepare for my studying. Banana Republic and Gap company were the reason I could be successful again in my medical field due to their support.
Pros
Facilitating work due to life circumstances. A wonderful company with great staff members
Fun place to work at
Stock/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON25 November 2015
Very easy and enjoyable job
it gets very busy
management was extremely friendly, same with co-workers
you dont really get bored as there are many positions
Pros
great co workers, management, benefits
Cons
must work on weekends and available to close
Fun Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Yorkdale Mall29 April 2016
It's all about the people with Gap, Inc! The company seems to attract fun and passionate individuals. It feels like a family when you find the right fit. Unfortunately, the dynamic is apt to change quickly with new management and the opportunities for growth seem limited unless you can balance absolute commitment to your job with flux hours and minimum wage.
Pros
Good Employee Discount, Good Management, Good Company Values
Cons
Fluctuating Hours, Low Wages, Changing Environment
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON29 September 2016
management and team was great, a typical day at work was enjoyable as everyone welcomed you. it was a very friendly environment
Full of drama
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2016
Management likes to choose favorites and if you're not one of them you will be treated poorly, and given almost no hours regardless of your work ethic.
Amazing environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
Though I only worked at GAP for a couple of months, it was a great experience otherwise. The staff was very welcoming, the store was well ran and the training was fun.
Pros
Wonderful culture and atmostphere
Cons
Cleanliness