GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

Seasonal Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 November 2016
Learned how to use a scooter for fast paced picking.
Packing into correct bags and labeling bags correctly.
Very friendly staff. Pleasant work atmosphere.
Pros
paid lunches
Cons
sometimes not enough work
Fun Place To Work!
Retail sales associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 November 2016
Love My Job at GAPKIDS! Excellent place to work. awesome co-workers and very flexible hours! I love working with the public and I find GapKids has awesome customers :)
Gap
General Labour (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 October 2016
Very good pay, options for overtime, work is repetitive but do able. Good hard work gets rewarded, comfortable and safe environment
Pros
paid break
Full of drama
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2016
Management likes to choose favorites and if you're not one of them you will be treated poorly, and given almost no hours regardless of your work ethic.
Amazing environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
Though I only worked at GAP for a couple of months, it was a great experience otherwise. The staff was very welcoming, the store was well ran and the training was fun.
Pros
Wonderful culture and atmostphere
Cons
Cleanliness
Fun place to be
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 October 2016
I would come in, clock in, check my emails, and then get on the floor and begin selling product to customers and giving them one on one experiences. Throughout the day I would coach my associates on giving the best customer service and what that looks like. Depending on the shift I'd either be opening or closing the store (putting cash in the drawers or completing the deposit, updating our promo or writing the closing email).
I learned how to truly be a leader and what leadership aspects and styles worked best for me and showed to be successful to me. The management team was great, everyone was hard working, driven, and strives for the store's success, it was a really great motivation to be the same. Everyone I worked with took well and were easy to lift with my energy, everyone took advice well and was fun to be around.
The hardest part of the job was when I was a merchandiser, the only merchandiser at the time, through Christmas, but I managed to keep a small team rallied and focused on getting everything done.
I'm a people person, so the most enjoyable part of the job is the people, whether it's a customer, someone I'm working with, or interviewing future associates.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON29 September 2016
management and team was great, a typical day at work was enjoyable as everyone welcomed you. it was a very friendly environment
Fun team and place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 September 2016
Easy going, enthusiastic team.
Great location et benefits
Management was not the best, it could be a little better
It is a good place for student
fun and friendly place to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 September 2016
I have gained excellent customer service skills and have met very friendly people. Over time I have some regular customers that like to come shop when I am working.
new experience
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2016
I haven't really worked for a long time at the GAP, but the reason why I had to stop working there is that they give very minimum hours per week, which was not what I was looking for by that time. My co-workers were very friendly and fun to work with.
great
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 September 2016
good people you work with, fun and flexible. just couldnt stay longer because of school.
if you dont reach the sale target some managers will be a little difficult about it but eh thats normal
slavery work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 September 2016
The Gap inc, very friendly place to work, just need to make sure they are serious about their work schedule, i've been called to not come in "because we aren't busy" how do you know when your going to be busy? you are in the heart of downtown on Bloor Street. (One time I didnt go to work for entire week) Too many Team Leaders and not a lot of training is provided, Care too much about how the company is labeled and advertised and care less about their staff unless its staff that have been their for longer than 2 years
Pros
great clothing
Cons
unorganized and careless
good experience
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON27 August 2016
amazing place to work, on an average day i would pick merchandise and load unto trucks. i learned how to me very efficient and organised
Short Term Contract
IT Consultant (contract) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 August 2016
This was a pop up seasonal contract that only lasted through the Christmas holiday. Nightshift during a cold cold winter. Good experience working within the Network environment.
Pros
I got to prove myself
Cons
It was a temp gig
Awesome retail place to work... for both hours, and experience.
Customer Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC14 August 2016
The staff perks are awesome if you like shopping, and the atmosphere is friendly. This is an awesome place to build customer service skills and build a love for fashion. Basic telephone skills are taught and not too much responsibility for high school entry level work.
Pros
Discount perks
Cons
maybe lack of full time positions
retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 August 2016
a typical day at work very busy. I learned to manage my time and work quickly and efficiently. I was really enjoyable to work there with my amazing co-workers.
Pros
discount
One manager was hard to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON8 August 2016
As a student there are certain things I am unable to control such as exam periods. I was unable to get the time off for my Saturday exam because I was unaware that it would be on a Saturday in December, and I had already booked time off to go home for three days in order to have some time with my family. This meant I had to blow a shift in order to write my exam because the manager would not give me time off. Then they stopped giving me shifts all together and I was not aware or told I had been fired.
It's alright.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2016
My job as a Sales Associate/Cashier has given me a start on how to provide great customer service and to assist customers with trying on different types of clothing. Management at my location is pretty good, however they push you very hard sometimes even when they know that sometimes a sale can't/won't happen (during slow days, or even when the customer clearly just wants to look around and I've done all I could). The coworkers are excellent and are always in a positive mood as well as friendly, which makes it very tolerable. Nothing terribly hard or amazing since it's such a basic starting position to be quite honest. However, they always hire so many people to work for my location that it's completely overstaffed. This leads to not getting enough or even barely any hours/shifts. Even though I'm currently still employed with them with what should be a part time permanent position, I haven't had a SINGLE shift in months. I know most, if not all, of the people that still work at my location don't even get more than 20 hours a week. I understand that sometimes hours get cut due to economic/business reasons and I'm not expecting to get an insane amount of hours weekly, but this is just ridiculous. They might as well advertise that they are hiring seasonal associates without promising how many hours they'll receive. They really need to rethink their hiring practices and policies in my opinion. Lastly when it comes to pay, it's very basic at minimum wage. Don't expect any raises (unless min. wage is going to go up while you work there, or you are making a crazy amount of sales and  more... the managers favor you). It seems to me that there is little to no room for advancement from within, unless again you are just beyond amazing at the job and the managers "worship" you, or you have prior management experience from somewhere else.  less
Pros
Great working environment and coworkers are awesome.
Cons
Practically little to no shifts (for me anyway). Little to no room for advancement.
A wonderful work environment
District Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 July 2016
The better part of my day was the chance to help develop top talent to become future leaders. It gave me the chance to guide people into areas of the business that best suited them and their goals.
Pros
Friendly environment
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2016
The job was okay. Was very over staffed, didn't get the hours i asked for, the management didn't have much of a relation with other members of staff, and it just seemed like there was a lot of politics in that location.