GAP Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

great managers
great co-workers
busy during holidays
I enjoy working with the Gap family & the costumers
Fun workplace with good coworkers to create a fun working environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 12, 2016
Good starting job for any high school student as you are able to develop your people skills while interacting with others. Able to meet new people and create friendships with others. Gain responsibility for your actions and able to learn from those experiences.
The management was good
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 11, 2016
This company had the best management, but it had the worst salary. Also, the raise on your salary was next to nothing. One of my co-workers got a 3 cent raise after working for one year.
Gap Inc BCC (Closed Now)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 10, 2016
punch in and start with go backs. clean sections typically on the adult side which was more messier. did cash sometimes but usually I would be on the floor helping customers with sizes or even arranging sections. Pay wasn't as good and management was very terrible
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Pay was terrible
Great First Job With Many Amazing Employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAJuly 7, 2016
Gap was a great experience for me as it taught me a lot about sale skills and talking to people in general. I find I'm much more confident with talking to strangers.

The atmosphere was extremely happy and fun yet focused which I loved because it was a perfect mix. Our costumers were our first priority and I made sure that was key everyday.
Overall Decent
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 5, 2016
At first glance, it is a perfect job. Typically get the hours you want, asking the manager is all you really need to move positions (same base pay). Younger staff, personable people. The job starts weighing harder on you a few months in. Managers can be flaky and unhelpful at times, and while they are often doing their best, they can only do so much to salvage a dying company. Furthermore, Sometimes managers like to pull rank on each other, which makes things difficult in higher stress situations. Often, I would show up to work and they'd cut shifts that didn't need to be cut, often leaving two people to handle a busy days' cleanup just to meet comp. On special promotion days and holidays, managers would get food for the staff, which was nice. Customers are the worst part of the job, as to be expected. Often, managers will bend company policy without explaining them to the customer, so it reflects horribly on regular staff, who now look stubborn and uninformed. Pay is increased based on performance, but seasonal employees make a higher base and often are asked to stay, and are often not the most competent workers, leaving lower payed and overall better employees doing most of the work. Pay is also not scaled, so if minimum wage increases, no matter what your current salary is, it will not increase with it, which feels like a wage loss. Not a horrible place to work if you have ins with managers, but it gets draining and monotonous (even if every day is a new experience, it's usually a cookie cutter bad one with customers). Also has one of the best discounts a retail  more... store could offer.  less
Pros
Friendly staff and managers, amazing discount.
Cons
Unstable hours, shaky management team, no visible upward mobility.
Great Structure and routine
Assistant Manager/Men's and Kids Brand Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa South, ONJuly 4, 2016
Gap is the company that founded specialised clothing retail. They have been around long enough to know a lot about what works day in and day out and have structured themselves around what works. solid operational foundations, and realistic goals setting have made this a great learning enviornment.
A very good company as a start in Canada. They were very helpful to let me prepare for my medical certification in my profession
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 17, 2016
I work in Banana republic, Shops at Don Mills. My manager was so helpful with me, due to being new in Canada, and a mother of a 4 yrs old son. They appreciate hard workers, and offer managerial positions when they people are qualified. They were super helpful to let me take weeks off to prepare for my studying. Banana Republic and Gap company were the reason I could be successful again in my medical field due to their support.
Pros
Facilitating work due to life circumstances. A wonderful company with great staff members
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 9, 2016
It's a great place to work, but working hours is not enough I hope I get more hours in the future.
I am a hardworking person and I have been working 12-14 hours a day but here it's very very short even not half of my previous job, you can't call it part time not even 20 hours a week.
I hope to get more in the future.
Pros
Stuff discounts
Cons
Very short hours
Inclusive and diverse, fun and flexible work environment!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
The Gap is a great company to work for and to contribute to! You learn more through interacting with team members, valuable customers, and the management team! It's an accepting and inclusive company, where associates and customers alike, all have something unique to bring!
Awful management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 6, 2016
Never scheduled enough workers especially in the mornings. Mornings often consisted of 2 managers, 1 cashier, and 1-2 floor people, a store this size requires more than 5 employees to run it. The store was never under scheduled due to lack of employees management always made sure there was 50+ employees at all times, they simply refused to give everyone the hours we all desperate need and deserve. On top of everything I cant even say we were at least given a superb discount to cancel out the lack of hours, there is nothing superb about 25%.
Typical Work Day at Gap
Seasonal/Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 5, 2016
Majority of the management team is composed of very hard-working dedicate, friendly people, however there are some exclusions as per usual.
Gap
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 3, 2016
Best company i Worked for. Focus on the people and development. Good balance between trading and training. Environment diversify and strong leadership.
the teamwork was good and safe place however management tends to push workers to do more.
Merchandise Handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 25, 2016
the day start with the team being assembled and work being assigned to each member. The work assigned could be done properly however the management pushes hard on workers.
Pros
teamwork was good and the pay was ok
Cons
the job was really hard and had to lift heavy and constant walking
Merchandiser, Sales Associate
Merchandiser, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2016
Enjoy Merchandising and Sales Associate Responsibilities. Jobs focused on creating an enjoyable Experience for Customers and increasing sales for the companies I have worked for and presently work for.

Creating clean, attractive displays and maintaining same, key to satisfying customer. Having a smile and positive attitude evident to customer that I enjoy my day to day responsibilities.
Pros
Clean store, good management, learning new skills, good customer experiences ongoing
Cons
Only if pros are not followed, and they are continually followed by myself
very good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  south edmonton commonMay 17, 2016
Close knit and kind team members who were a lot of fun to work with and very encouraging. Managers were very flexible and considerate at work.
Gap Outlet
PART TIME EMPLOYEE (Former Employee) –  Toronto Premium OutletsMay 15, 2016
It was a great experience that helped me to learn the basics of retail work. The enviroment was very fast paced and friendly.
Okay Environment
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2016
The working environment is okay. However, their management keeps changing. Not much opportunities for advancement.
Fun workplace environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMay 5, 2016
I enjoy meeting new people on a daily basis and assisting them in whatever it is they are looking for. I have a passion to learn and grow within a company and Gap has fulfilled this passion.
No real management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONMay 3, 2016
All the managers are on a power trip and will be sure to let you know where the power stands. Lack of respect makes for a not so productive work environment