GAP Inc. Employee Reviews

Not many opportunities, but overall pretty good
Cashier, Sales Associate, Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Alberta17 March 2017
I enjoy working here; it is a decent job for a student. The management is great and so is the overall working environment. However, it is rare for anyone to receive a raise or promotion, even if you've been working there for a long time. Regardless of how hard you work, you don't make any extra money, which is why I believe employees should either get commission for their work, or cashiers ask every customer who helped them out and that employee would receive some sort of compensation.
Pros
Good Managers
Cons
No Opportunities or Rewards
customer service,management
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2017
Great work place, learned a lot very customer focused. Great culture. Most enjoyable part of my job was helping the employees grow and reach too the next level. And always holding the company too the highest standards.
Pros
free lunches
productive and friendly
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 February 2017
only my both managers mans are friendly and good with the employers the other people is very rude with the news person or when you are the other culture or country they dont help you.
Pros
free lunches
Work was easy and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
It was fast paced at times, there was always something to do. At the beginning of working there it was fun and it was a placed i loved to go to but a couple months later management had changed and it felt like i didn't belong, or didn't want to work there anymore. The reason why i had quit was because of poor management and a lack of action put forth for reasons that are personal. I learned how to deal with a variety of customers, and a way of speaking when trying to give opinions or selling products. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting coworkers that ended up being my closest friends.
Pros
Work parties after hours, meeting new people
Cons
Fun team and place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 September 2016
Easy going, enthusiastic team.
Great location et benefits
Management was not the best, it could be a little better
It is a good place for student
fun workplace
Car washer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 February 2017
It was good time spent there and the pay was also good. everyone was cooperative. the hardest part of the job was finishing 10 hours which was quite tough,
Pros
Free lunches and bonuses
The management was good
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2016
This company had the best management, but it had the worst salary. Also, the raise on your salary was next to nothing. One of my co-workers got a 3 cent raise after working for one year.
Fun place to be
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 October 2016
I would come in, clock in, check my emails, and then get on the floor and begin selling product to customers and giving them one on one experiences. Throughout the day I would coach my associates on giving the best customer service and what that looks like. Depending on the shift I'd either be opening or closing the store (putting cash in the drawers or completing the deposit, updating our promo or writing the closing email).
I learned how to truly be a leader and what leadership aspects and styles worked best for me and showed to be successful to me. The management team was great, everyone was hard working, driven, and strives for the store's success, it was a really great motivation to be the same. Everyone I worked with took well and were easy to lift with my energy, everyone took advice well and was fun to be around.
The hardest part of the job was when I was a merchandiser, the only merchandiser at the time, through Christmas, but I managed to keep a small team rallied and focused on getting everything done.
I'm a people person, so the most enjoyable part of the job is the people, whether it's a customer, someone I'm working with, or interviewing future associates.
Easy job with lots of physical labour
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC2 March 2017
Working at gap was easy and it gave an opportunity to start up a job career in Kamloops. It was more of a physically active job then mentally active job as compared to m past experience.
Comfortable work environment
Sales Associate, Cashier (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC3 January 2017
Gap is a good start into retail with flexible hours. Great management and sales team makes it a great place to work. Easy to learn and pick up the basics of retail.
Pros
employee discount
Gap Inc BCC (Closed Now)
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2016
punch in and start with go backs. clean sections typically on the adult side which was more messier. did cash sometimes but usually I would be on the floor helping customers with sizes or even arranging sections. Pay wasn't as good and management was very terrible
Pros
good benefits
Cons
Pay was terrible
Busy workplace with good coworkers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 December 2016
This is one of the better jobs I have had. Great coworkers, sweet discount (50%). The one major downside is that because Gap has a higher price point than somewhere like Old Navy (even though it's run by the same people), it attracts lots of richer people. I once had a woman come in looking for a winter jacket to replace her 2 y/o daughters Prada winter coat! Hardest part of this job is keeping your cool with entitled and impossible customers, as well as some of the early start shifts (for restocking the floor, starts around 6am).
Pros
Great discount and coworkers
Cons
Super early hours sometimes
i love my job it was good.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC29 December 2016
i only want to change the job is its to far. Otherwise i loved my job
all my co-workeres were so good. we use to work hard and even have fun .help each other.
Pros
sometimes
Cons
One manager was hard to work with
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON8 August 2016
As a student there are certain things I am unable to control such as exam periods. I was unable to get the time off for my Saturday exam because I was unaware that it would be on a Saturday in December, and I had already booked time off to go home for three days in order to have some time with my family. This meant I had to blow a shift in order to write my exam because the manager would not give me time off. Then they stopped giving me shifts all together and I was not aware or told I had been fired.
Okay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 July 2016
The job was okay. Was very over staffed, didn't get the hours i asked for, the management didn't have much of a relation with other members of staff, and it just seemed like there was a lot of politics in that location.
Nice place for work life balance
RMS Application Lead (Former Employee) –  Dalian China24 July 2016
The company provides opportunity to all and have been very supportive with the employees work life balance and to the advancement of ones career
Pros
Work From Home
Cons
Night Shift
Gap
General Labour (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 October 2016
Very good pay, options for overtime, work is repetitive but do able. Good hard work gets rewarded, comfortable and safe environment
Pros
paid break
Overall Decent
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 July 2016
At first glance, it is a perfect job. Typically get the hours you want, asking the manager is all you really need to move positions (same base pay). Younger staff, personable people. The job starts weighing harder on you a few months in. Managers can be flaky and unhelpful at times, and while they are often doing their best, they can only do so much to salvage a dying company. Furthermore, Sometimes managers like to pull rank on each other, which makes things difficult in higher stress situations. Often, I would show up to work and they'd cut shifts that didn't need to be cut, often leaving two people to handle a busy days' cleanup just to meet comp. On special promotion days and holidays, managers would get food for the staff, which was nice. Customers are the worst part of the job, as to be expected. Often, managers will bend company policy without explaining them to the customer, so it reflects horribly on regular staff, who now look stubborn and uninformed. Pay is increased based on performance, but seasonal employees make a higher base and often are asked to stay, and are often not the most competent workers, leaving lower payed and overall better employees doing most of the work. Pay is also not scaled, so if minimum wage increases, no matter what your current salary is, it will not increase with it, which feels like a wage loss. Not a horrible place to work if you have ins with managers, but it gets draining and monotonous (even if every day is a new experience, it's usually a cookie cutter bad one with customers). Also has one of the best discounts a retail  more... store could offer.  less
Pros
Friendly staff and managers, amazing discount.
Cons
Unstable hours, shaky management team, no visible upward mobility.
It's alright.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 July 2016
My job as a Sales Associate/Cashier has given me a start on how to provide great customer service and to assist customers with trying on different types of clothing. Management at my location is pretty good, however they push you very hard sometimes even when they know that sometimes a sale can't/won't happen (during slow days, or even when the customer clearly just wants to look around and I've done all I could). The coworkers are excellent and are always in a positive mood as well as friendly, which makes it very tolerable. Nothing terribly hard or amazing since it's such a basic starting position to be quite honest. However, they always hire so many people to work for my location that it's completely overstaffed. This leads to not getting enough or even barely any hours/shifts. Even though I'm currently still employed with them with what should be a part time permanent position, I haven't had a SINGLE shift in months. I know most, if not all, of the people that still work at my location don't even get more than 20 hours a week. I understand that sometimes hours get cut due to economic/business reasons and I'm not expecting to get an insane amount of hours weekly, but this is just ridiculous. They might as well advertise that they are hiring seasonal associates without promising how many hours they'll receive. They really need to rethink their hiring practices and policies in my opinion. Lastly when it comes to pay, it's very basic at minimum wage. Don't expect any raises (unless min. wage is going to go up while you work there, or you are making a crazy amount of sales and  more... the managers favor you). It seems to me that there is little to no room for advancement from within, unless again you are just beyond amazing at the job and the managers "worship" you, or you have prior management experience from somewhere else.  less
Pros
Great working environment and coworkers are awesome.
Cons
Practically little to no shifts (for me anyway). Little to no room for advancement.
Amazing environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
Though I only worked at GAP for a couple of months, it was a great experience otherwise. The staff was very welcoming, the store was well ran and the training was fun.
Pros
Wonderful culture and atmostphere
Cons
Cleanliness

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GAP Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

81%