Gap Inc. Employee Reviews

Great team and friendly atmosphere
Sales Associate (part time) (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, Toronto, Ontario18 November 2017
I worked seasonal with possibility of becoming permanent. I learned that retail means easy sales and good workplace culture, with the manager easy to approach. The perks are getting insurance, even while working part-time.
Pros
free lunch on special occasions.
Cons
not enough hours, most overnight seasonly.
Best work place ever
Co-op Placement (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON15 November 2017
This job was hard work but I got to managed it while working as team with the other employees and they treated me like family I started my co-op placement we turn the bad into good outcomes because we enjoyed working with each other and there were very welcoming and loving
Pros
Got placement credits
Cons
Didnt get paid
fun team, but difficult to balance with lifestyle
CASHIER/SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON7 November 2017
Working at the Gap made me realize how important meeting daily goals is and how to interact and deal with customers. It also showed me how to be a team player and to get along with my co-workers. The best part about working at Gap is the team. The hardest part about working at gap, is the hours and the inconsistency of hours given each week. It is either to short or too long. Other than that, it is a great place to work.
Pros
the team
Cons
the hours
productive workplace with cultural diversity issues
Merchandise handler (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 November 2017
i kid you not, not a single one of my non-english-speaking co-workers bathed. ever. and it does not stop there they also dont brush a single teeth. its crazy it really is.
Pros
the pay
Cons
10 hour shifts, hot warehouse, dusty, stinkyy co-workers
Great working environment with co-workers
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2017
Everyone at the Gap is very friendly and caring, we all respect each other and enjoy working together as a team. We all continue to work hard to help make the companies goal everyday. Although, I wish we got some sort of benefits with all the hard work we give in.
Cons
no benefits
Productive and Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC27 October 2017
Very friendly co workers and management. Really helpful to learn about retail. Great experience. Great place to gain confident on customer service skills.
Fun workplace with limited hours
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2017
The Gap is a fun workplace with limited hours. Management is somewhat accommodating but will not exceed a certain amount of hours for their staff in retail stores, yet they continuously hire groups of new people to add to already over-staffed store. You will typically receive 3-5 hour shifts. You can expect to be scheduled for about 10 hours a week unless you ask for more or pick up shifts, in which case you'll find it difficult to exceed 15 hrs/week. Pay is standard minimum wage.

There is not much to do, however management will "create" tasks in order to keep you busy, but it does not exceed much more than folding, hanging, and telling customers about store offers. They will watch your cash performance. If you do not get a certain percentage of customer e-mails, it will reflect poor performance, which creates unnecessary stress.

The employee discount is fantastic at about 30% to 40% off on top of promo offers. This discount also extends to Banana Republic and Old Navy, although the percentage off decreases at ON. Staff can range in personality, but they are mostly friendly people.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short hours, hard to get longer or more frequent hours, often mindless tasks, not much room for advancement
Management is horrible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 October 2017
Managers would sit around and talk, nobody worries about the changing rooms, it makes it easy for customers to steal stuff because literally nobody watches them. It's poorly run and could be way better if people actually tried.
Pros
The discount off clothes.
Cons
Short hours, They dont offer breaks until 15 minutes after your break was supposed to start, You typically have to remind them when your break was. Very slow.
Good Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC18 October 2017
Good staff with great management team pushing emplyees to make sales. Customers are the biggest con of this job but besides this the job is a good work environment
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  toronto13 October 2017
it was a good experience, the employees were not very friendly because they never took the time to get to know their fellow co-workers, they always cut shifts
Pros
good amount of breaks
Cons
when i get a shift, they cut it in half and send me home early
fun place to work
Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 October 2017
working at the gap was a very fun experience. the whole team was in great moods. they made coming to work very fun. the environment was always happy and uplifting. they would always have potlucks every Friday. they would reward their employess with food and prizes. I never felt like an employe there I felt like family.
Pros
very uplifting team
Cons
very long hours
amazing coworkers and environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2017
difficult management, do not consider the needs of the employees and mistreat employees as well. Scheduling is disorganized and do not give out even hours to employees
Great discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John East, NB7 October 2017
The best part about this job, was helping customers find what they needed. The hardest part was, not having enough, staff on the sales floor. The store manager, was hardly ever on the sales floor. The assistant managers, were great except for one being negative most days. Overall my time at the Gap was good.
Pros
Discount
Stayed for the coworkers and comfort
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 October 2017
Retail in general is a stressful environment. Without the support of your manager it's just no longer bearable, which was the case with me. The best years working at the Gap are when team support is unbreakable and you have coworkers to rely on.
Great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 October 2017
good work environment. Love the people and love the clothing. Really good training and very fast paced. Loved working at the TPO Gap. Would love to go back if i could.
This was a terrible place to work
Key Holder/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 September 2017
I didn't enjoy working here.
It was very disorganized. One manager would say one thing about the schedule and then the other the complete opposite.
Customers weren't the best either.
The company apparently spies on the staff with tiny cameras in the cash registers....which is what I was told by them anyways....
No trust for their employees.
Pros
Alot of hours
Cons
Bad pay
great place to work
Merchandise Processor (Current Employee) –  Bolton, ON24 September 2017
great place to work. great team and management. good pay and benefits. good teamwork environment.
fast paced environment and productivity required and expected.
Pros
all
Cons
Fun workplace with generous employee discount
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2017
Gap was my first job as I entered university and it allowed me the opportunity to work for a company with a strong and recognizable brand image. This ubiquitous retailer employed a diverse group of people and the managers I worked with were very flexible with my class schedule. I enjoyed my time with the company as it gave me great exposure to the workings of a retailer.
Pros
Very strong and effective associate on-boarding program that was mirrored by other companies
Great people/management
Sales Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 September 2017
The management will support you and want to further your development. Very accommodating to student schedule. Great work environment, I was happy to go to work!
Fine but very boring.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Balzac, AB11 September 2017
The work that you do at the gap is very routine, nothing really changes, you have busy and slow days but other then that it is very boring. I found that I never really became a part of the work team, they never signed me up for benefits or anything but they wouldn't listen to me when I tried to ask. Being young was definitely a disadvantage and I felt very looked down upon.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gap Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.