GP Strategies Employee Reviews

Nice Work Environment
Program Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Troy, MI24 January 2017
Great company to work for- The management staff are super friendly and always willing to help out.
Awesome work/life balance- Employees have the ability to work remotely and use flex time to accommodate as needed.
Very few cons- career advancement is very hard to obtain and the benefits packages are really costly.
Get the experience and then get out-- white collar sweatshop
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  VA19 May 2016
Many of the jobs at this company are mis-classified as hourly casual jobs. Qualified experienced talent is only engaged ad hoc a couple hours a week at the discretion of low level project managers who don't understand labor laws. The problem is, folks, that it is illegal not to pay hourly employees for their work even if you can't bill the client. Many experienced new hires are brought in under these circumstances hoping to get a full time salaried gig with benefits.
I worked here to get experience. Which I did. And that's it. This company needs a major management overhaul. Hopefully the new overtime laws will cause the leadership to review their management practices
Great work and coworkers, little support or recognition from organization
Principle Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NY3 September 2016
This is a training company that does not believe in training their own employees. Everything must be learned on the fly. Management does not suffer mistakes well, and if one is made will not provide a second opportunity. They provide little support and expect the employee to produce with very tight timelines. The employee is expected to work over 40 hours a week without compensation and is an unwritten, though spoken rule.

The objectives given to advance were based on getting the right projects to perform the necessary tasks to achieve the objectives. Management however does not give opportunities to take on these tasks and continually uses the same people to perform the same jobs. Much like a factory. Thus, the company provides little opportunity to advance as I had to leave their employ and return to get a promotion which, became just a promotion in name only.

They have good, not great, benefits and compensation was decent.

The people I worked with were exceptional. GP does a very good job hiring outstanding employees. I very much enjoyed the people I worked with and the work itself was very exciting and fun.

I very much enjoyed my work and was very good at it. GP won projects based on my previous work many times, sometimes years later but I received no "official" recognition, just the accolades of my peers.

Management is not empathetic to the employee however MY supervisor was and I enjoyed working under his direction.

Lastly, upper management has no vision.
Pros
Interesting work, opportunities to travel, great coworkers.
Cons
No training, little room for advancement, extra hours expected, little support.
Mixed feelings
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  PA9 September 2016
Your days can go from fast-paced to looking for work depending on the projects you work on from day to day. It also depends on the time of year. Most of the time the SMEs start of really excited and give you a "yeah yeah," but then half way through the project they tend to not like something (even after asking specific questions) because the SME didn't communicate their original expected results.

As for management, they are flexible about work/life balance stuff, but they are drones to the corporation and play the corporate politics game. Remember, it's a delicate balance with the saying "the customer is always right." However, the company and management allow the client to push back and get what they want, just to save a client. Even if it means causing unnecessary re-work on the designer or developers end. Another thing management does is keep low performing staff members. While I believe in second and even third chances, someone who continually is a low performer should be let go after they fail to perform better given the third chance. Management doesn't do this. Instead they allow the person to be given more than a dozen chances, but the person never performs any better. As for advancement; if you show an interest in something that is related to your field, but outside your current job, management says "that isn't your job therefore no you cannot get training in that skill."

For the most part my co-workers are great to work with. Like any other company, it takes a little time to get use to each others personalities. We all have a pretty good rapport with one another.
  more... We joke, laugh, and have fun all while maintaining professionalism.

The hardest thing about the job is the unrealistic deadlines and hours to complete a project. Goes back to how client expectations are handled.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the fun we have at our office. Things like the Halloween party where everyone dresses up in costume. Another enjoyable part of the job is when a client does recognize your hard work and they let management know and that is shared with the department in the departmental meeting.
Pros
Dress down daily (unless going to client or client is on sight), open office space
Cons
open office space (can be both pro and con yes), healthcare
Needs direction
Teachnician (Former Employee) –  Escondido, CA10 January 2017
Company structure is a nightmare, no direction what so ever. Corporate needs to take a detailed look into day to day operations, specially when techs travel out of state.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Having to work 10 days straight (mandatory) with no OT compensation
Great organization to work for
Training Manager/Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Meridian, MS8 February 2017
I was afforded many opportunities to advance within GP Strategies. GP Strategies is also a great organization and one can advance rapidly.
Culture in need of change
Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX9 August 2016
Being driven to be one of the largest training companies in the nation has resulted in a culture in the company that doesn't value it's most prized asset, i's people.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule\Location
Ok
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, CO17 November 2016
The company works on a good ol boy philosophy. The manager has zero experience as a manager. He was a trainer that was appointed to take the position when another manager left. Great place for retired Navy to apply.
Great Opportunity
Account Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Southeast USA10 October 2016
Great job and place to work. Great co-workers and meeting new and differing personalities is rewarding. Helpful and friendly staff that assists in any and all endeavors.
Very nice company
Program Administrator/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Troy, MI13 April 2016
I work with a great group of ladies in a very busy call center. We handle many company education/tuition accounts. It is a very good company and very competitive in their fields.
Great company to work for
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Remote27 August 2015
The best thing about GP Strategies is their willingness to work with you. Management is extremely supportive in making your job/life balance work for you. They are willing to make adjustments to scheduling, travel situations, and assignments so that you can accomplish your personal goals.
Unfortunately, there are issues with finding job advancement or career path. If you know exactly what you want and how you plan to go about getting there, this is not an issue. However, you have to know what steps to take because the company does not have a direct path to any specific career.
Very hands off management that respects your skills
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZ27 December 2015
Very hands off management, as long as you are completing your duties and the customer is happy you are free to manage your time as you see fit. The benefits are good and management is overall fair.
I work at a contract location
Training Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL4 March 2016
My experience with GP has been from a distance since a work at a client site. Their benefits are very good and I have been with them for over 5 years now.

They are a training organization and work all over the world.
Great place to work.
Developer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX12 July 2016
Excellent atmosphere and colleagues. I was able to do the majority of my work from home. Some travel was required but not excessive. Great group of professionals to work with and learn from.
GP provides valuable Training Solutions on a contract basis
Training Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FL15 September 2013
During a typical day at work I am making sure that I am servicing the needs of the client to the best of my ability. I am there to run their training center. I support the trainers and the learners in any way they need assistance. I thoroughly enjoy working with the trainers, both internal and external.

All in all, the most valuable and enjoyable part of my job is the customer service work that I do. I know that I have made a difference.
Pros
Working for a large organization allows for great benefits
Cons
Having such a small GP presence, leaves me out of touch with the GP culture
Good company
Mechanical Engineer- Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX29 April 2016
Good company great work environment and training. GP Strategies cover many industries and business. they have projects overseas. Flexible hours
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
it is hard to find a permanent position (they use contractors)
Project Lead
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MD11 February 2016
GP Strategies is an excellent company. Positive management team that encourages growth in all business areas. Great company to engage with for a long period of time.
Interesting projects and oppportunities, but unstable company
Senior Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD15 March 2016
While GP is a great company to work for, they are unstable and not doing well in the industry. Employees are made to worry about not having enough work to do and are often furloughed through no fault of their own.
Pros
Interesting work and opportunities
Cons
unstable
Nice place to work
Desktop Support Analyst Tier 2 (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD25 March 2016
Nice place to work has some issues but then what place doesn't, Desktop Support is much the same in any company, GP has its challenges due to the inefficiencies of a team oriented support structure, and organizational issues. Its pluses are its great people its pay structure and its location as well as its stature in the industry.
Fun, quiet place
LMS Administrator - GE Healthcare Global Account (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN1 May 2016
I love my workplace. As long as you're going your work, there is no issue. Come in, do what you need to and leave. Pretty great.
Cons
Not a place for extroverts