GP Strategies Employee Reviews

Get the experience and then get out-- white collar sweatshop
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  VAMay 19, 2016
Many of the jobs at this company are mis-classified as hourly casual jobs. Qualified experienced talent is only engaged ad hoc a couple hours a week at the discretion of low level project managers who don't understand labor laws. The problem is, folks, that it is illegal not to pay hourly employees for their work even if you can't bill the client. Many experienced new hires are brought in under these circumstances hoping to get a full time salaried gig with benefits.
I worked here to get experience. Which I did. And that's it. This company needs a major management overhaul. Hopefully the new overtime laws will cause the leadership to review their management practices
Very hands off management that respects your skills
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZDecember 27, 2015
Very hands off management, as long as you are completing your duties and the customer is happy you are free to manage your time as you see fit. The benefits are good and management is overall fair.
I work at a contract location
Training Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 4, 2016
My experience with GP has been from a distance since a work at a client site. Their benefits are very good and I have been with them for over 5 years now.

They are a training organization and work all over the world.
Great company to work for
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  RemoteAugust 27, 2015
The best thing about GP Strategies is their willingness to work with you. Management is extremely supportive in making your job/life balance work for you. They are willing to make adjustments to scheduling, travel situations, and assignments so that you can accomplish your personal goals.
Unfortunately, there are issues with finding job advancement or career path. If you know exactly what you want and how you plan to go about getting there, this is not an issue. However, you have to know what steps to take because the company does not have a direct path to any specific career.
Culture in need of change
Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 9, 2016
Being driven to be one of the largest training companies in the nation has resulted in a culture in the company that doesn't value it's most prized asset, i's people.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule\Location
Project Lead
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 11, 2016
GP Strategies is an excellent company. Positive management team that encourages growth in all business areas. Great company to engage with for a long period of time.
Great place to work.
Developer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2016
Excellent atmosphere and colleagues. I was able to do the majority of my work from home. Some travel was required but not excessive. Great group of professionals to work with and learn from.
Interesting projects and oppportunities, but unstable company
Senior Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 15, 2016
While GP is a great company to work for, they are unstable and not doing well in the industry. Employees are made to worry about not having enough work to do and are often furloughed through no fault of their own.
Pros
Interesting work and opportunities
Cons
unstable
Good company
Mechanical Engineer- Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 29, 2016
Good company great work environment and training. GP Strategies cover many industries and business. they have projects overseas. Flexible hours
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
it is hard to find a permanent position (they use contractors)
Nice place to work
Desktop Support Analyst Tier 2 (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 25, 2016
Nice place to work has some issues but then what place doesn't, Desktop Support is much the same in any company, GP has its challenges due to the inefficiencies of a team oriented support structure, and organizational issues. Its pluses are its great people its pay structure and its location as well as its stature in the industry.
Fun, quiet place
LMS Administrator - GE Healthcare Global Account (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2016
I love my workplace. As long as you're going your work, there is no issue. Come in, do what you need to and leave. Pretty great.
Cons
Not a place for extroverts
Great flexible schedule working from home
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCApril 27, 2016
Great work from home job that allows me to be flexible with my family needs. Small close-knit group that really works well together.
Very nice company
Program Administrator/Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Troy, MIApril 13, 2016
I work with a great group of ladies in a very busy call center. We handle many company education/tuition accounts. It is a very good company and very competitive in their fields.
Job may not last long
Cisco Instructor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDDecember 5, 2015
My job as a Cisco Instructor for GP Strategies was well-compensated, and I got great management support. Unfortunately, demand for the course I am teaching appears to be evaporating, and I am not getting a lot of work.
Mixed feelings
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  PASeptember 9, 2016
Your days can go from fast-paced to looking for work depending on the projects you work on from day to day. It also depends on the time of year. Most of the time the SMEs start of really excited and give you a "yeah yeah," but then half way through the project they tend to not like something (even after asking specific questions) because the SME didn't communicate their original expected results.

As for management, they are flexible about work/life balance stuff, but they are drones to the corporation and play the corporate politics game. Remember, it's a delicate balance with the saying "the customer is always right." However, the company and management allow the client to push back and get what they want, just to save a client. Even if it means causing unnecessary re-work on the designer or developers end. Another thing management does is keep low performing staff members. While I believe in second and even third chances, someone who continually is a low performer should be let go after they fail to perform better given the third chance. Management doesn't do this. Instead they allow the person to be given more than a dozen chances, but the person never performs any better. As for advancement; if you show an interest in something that is related to your field, but outside your current job, management says "that isn't your job therefore no you cannot get training in that skill."

For the most part my co-workers are great to work with. Like any other company, it takes a little time to get use to each others personalities. We all have a pretty good rapport with one another.
  more... We joke, laugh, and have fun all while maintaining professionalism.

The hardest thing about the job is the unrealistic deadlines and hours to complete a project. Goes back to how client expectations are handled.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the fun we have at our office. Things like the Halloween party where everyone dresses up in costume. Another enjoyable part of the job is when a client does recognize your hard work and they let management know and that is shared with the department in the departmental meeting.
Pros
Dress down daily (unless going to client or client is on sight), open office space
Cons
open office space (can be both pro and con yes), healthcare
Leaders in the Industry
Business Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDFebruary 12, 2016
Several divisions and leadership. Smart people with great diversity. Most people do not leave. Many employees have been there for upward of 15 years. Experts in the industry.
GP provides valuable Training Solutions on a contract basis
Training Associate (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 15, 2013
During a typical day at work I am making sure that I am servicing the needs of the client to the best of my ability. I am there to run their training center. I support the trainers and the learners in any way they need assistance. I thoroughly enjoy working with the trainers, both internal and external.

All in all, the most valuable and enjoyable part of my job is the customer service work that I do. I know that I have made a difference.
Pros
working for a large organization allows for great benefits
Cons
having such a small gp presence, leaves me out of touch with the gp culture
Fun, Beneficial and decent salary.
sales team leader (Former Employee) –  HalifaxJanuary 5, 2016
I loved my job working at GP strategies as i was the leader of a small call center, but unfortunately i was made redundant.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
staff morale
A great company and reputation
Implementation Consultant - SuccessFactors (Current Employee) –  Home BasedJuly 31, 2015
This company is the best I've worked for in terms of trust, work/life balance and personal growth. I have the best Manager and fantastic work colleagues.
Pros
Work Flexibility
Cons
For me, no UK office base
Creative and excellent management
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boxborough, MAApril 18, 2014
This company is driven for success. Management easy to reach and excel at communication. Life work-balance is great and extremely talented and fun co-workers!
Pros
growing company, management, work-life balance
Cons
not flexible in finding new assignments