GP Strategies Corporation Employee Reviews

very educational job
Senior Training Consultant (Current Employee) –  Remote13 November 2017
In general, I enjoy what I do for work at GP Strategies. It's tough having to travel so much for work, but the times when I'm able to work remotely are well worth it!
Good place to start, but not a lot of career progression opportunities
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD16 October 2017
It's a good place to start one's career and gain experience. However, after some time, there is lack of career growth opportunities. Senior/executive leadership is very set in their way and "old school" lacking innovation and fresh new energy and perspective. They also lack checks and balances and therefore treat certain employees very differently from others purely based on personal relationships. Your experience may vary depending on the group you work for. The culture is pretty negative in a sense that leaders don't want anyone to be a superstar in fear of threatening their position/control.
Easy job, disorganized
Business Development Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN14 August 2017
I enjoyed the people that I worked with and the work/life balance was very nice. However, the projects are very convoluted, there's not much direction in where the company is going, and it's difficult to get in contact with many colleagues
Productive, well known, highly regarded.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MD7 August 2017
My short tenure there allowed me to learn more about the behaviour and people readiness for a job.

We worked in teams - which allowed all of us to bring forth the best we had to the project.

Many PHD's were employed and part of the team's success
Pros
remote, travel, fun team members
Cons
change of commission and sales products
Heavy work loads
Course Administrator (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI26 July 2017
You will never have a moment to breath. This is a fast paced, heavy work load company. The culture is mostly women. It is the place for you if you enjoy a sorority like culture.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too heavy a work load
Terrible management political climate
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma12 July 2017
High turnover Love the job hiring younger and cheaper no advancement. Look at upper management. Roles they are in they are unqualified for good ole boy system.
Pros
Cons
No pay raises
Company is ok, Management is not
Course Curriculum Administrator (Current Employee) –  CT3 July 2017
Company offers typical benefits.
Pay is great.
Manager could not be bothered to check in or develop staff.
Reviews never conducted for first year.
Manager caught in lies
People hired and fired without announcements
Pros
benefits, flexible
Cons
manager
dangerous work environment
Millwright/CNC (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, TX27 June 2017
every day is different and you never get to speak with a direct supervisor and breaks are very short. this is an industrial job and requires a lot of safety measures.
Range of accounts
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire18 May 2017
GP Strategies provide the opportunity to work on a range of accounts covering many different sectors.There are opportunities to work from home in some roles.
Opportunity given
Assessor (Current Employee) –  England14 April 2017
The job is what you make it. If you're organised and on top of it then you'll love it and have your weekends off.You hit the ground running in this job but training is always there you just have to ask!
Pros
Book visits when you want and more holiday I've had in any job ever
Cons
Can be tiring with the driving

Want to know more about GP Strategies Corporation?

Ask a question
Poor culture
Senior Media Producer (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI1 February 2017
Lots of employees who have been there a long time whiokeep their jobs for only that reason. Not progressive, very insular, management doesn't really have a clue about the actual performance of employees. The production department (one person) is awful ... limited skills, poor attitude, insecure bully. Beware.
Pros
Reasonable though not great compensation
Cons
Employees set in their ways, not interested in new/better ways of working, defensive and insular
Terrible place to work.
Learner recruitment consultant (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham25 November 2016
No training given and direct management were lazy. No engagement with staff apart from being told you've not done well enough (with unrealistic targets). Threatend constantly with job loss and made tonfeel like a number. All staff were unhappy.
Incompetent Management
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Remote14 September 2016
As others have said, the new-hire training is minimal. Business units are run as small companies. My business unit had terrible management. Entire management team was built on cronyism, so managers were unqualified and incompetent in their roles.

Management did not perform proper project analysis and the employees and customers suffered needlessly. Work was always at break-neck speed to meet impossible deadlines. The customer would then be delayed and/or have to cough up more money. The customer loved me and I did nothing but improve the customer's experience with GP, yet I was reprimanded for not being good at snowing the customer. I was basically reprimanded for not knowing when and how to lie to the customer.

As for compensation, the pay was not competitive for my field. When I left GP, my salary increased from $68K to $85K. Benefits are standard but expensive to the employee for such a large company.

I gave two stars instead of one because I admire the work GP does as a company. Though, as far as I know, maybe all of the work suffers from these same issues. ☹️
Pros
Remote work
Cons
Poor management, Low salary, medium expensive benefits, poor customer experience, no work/life balance
Poor Company with no ambition who put immense pressure on staff
Tutor/ Teacher (Former Employee) –  Blackpool15 January 2016
I worked as Tutor for this company from 2009 to 2014. During the Beneast days I would of highly recommended this company. However when the company was taken over 2012/2013 by GP Strategies.
Then mass redundancies and a company who new nothing about what they were doing took over. Pressure from senior management to hit targets in employability and qualifications that learners are never going to achieve.
The college is based on the outskirts of Blackpool and this also makes it difficult to send learners too.
I remember once being in a meeting with a senior manager where the senior manager tried to get me to get other teachers and staff into trouble by "snitching" on them.
Also a manager higher than this telling all staff around the table that if you don't like the job then "leave".
From a company that was highly in profit under Beneast to a company that has no idea what it is doing.
Working for this company will seriously affect your career and your mental health.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Poor Management - Bully Boy Tactics
Challenging, fast paced job.
Mechanical Engineering Manager & Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CA23 November 2014
Although this is a corporation this business unit is run like it's own medium sized company. The staff have many roles which keeps the job interesting and challenging. The business unit performs engineering, design, fabrication, and construction.
Workplace has a productive environment and overall good place to work.
Senior Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, Tx14 January 2014
A typical day at work involves ensuring the days agenda is prepared and all tasks are prioritized. Being an administrative person requires being prepared for your tasks and the ability to be available to all personnel for assistance while executing those tasks.

I am the Administrative Assistant to the Sr. Vice President and two Directors. Each superior has very different styles of managing and it is imperative that an Administrative Assistant is able to cohesively work among those styles.

The hardest part of my job is the commute. I enjoy my job and all of its aspects but find the time spent on the road to be a bit of a challenge.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the ability to be versatile and assist various employees, clients and perform varying tasks.
Hard work with a variety of interns
Training Developer Intern (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH2 February 2013
I am able to come into the office and work with numerous other interns. We work on documents individually on our own computers but use each other for advice and support. This atmosphere is fairly fast pace but enjoyable. We are able to talk to each other as we work hard.
Productive workplace
Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, OR19 June 2012
A self-empowered place to work. To work here, you need to be a self-starter, work without management oversight, and be able to teach yourself. The office is filled with very talented, creative individuals who work hard so they can play hard. We have free food, espresso, and ping pong which is a plus.
Pros
free food, cool people, nice work/life balance
Cons
no career advancement training, no training for new employees, little management involvment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GP Strategies Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6