GM Employee Reviews in Canada

Self Employed
Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 31, 2014
• Provided general contracting services to independent small businesses and property owners for interior and exterior renovation solutions across the GTA.
• Services included decking repair or replacement, interlocking stone, general exterior maintenance, painting, plumbing, minor electrical, specialized landscaping and general interior repairs.
• Quickly established a solid client base resulting from referrals.
• Seasonal work - not very stable with a bad winter like we just had.
Pros
challenging
Cons
seasonal work
a factory enviroment
General Labour (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 23, 2014
starting working here at a young age and learned numerous jobs , safety tips and how to work with a team or work individually
some jobs where more physical than others
Terrible Environment
Departmental Group Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 16, 2014
You would not to wish the workplace on your worst enemy. Those that work in management are treated like dogs.
Small group of CSR every one got along
Bilingual CSR/ Parts and services (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Great atmosphere! shift work every pulled their weight every one helped each other in finding solutions supervisor always there to help
Pros
open door policy
Cons
shift work
I am very grateful for the chance to work for GM.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OnFebruary 24, 2014
I work at General Motors of Canada as a Temporary Part-Time worker. This job involves shift work twice or thrice a week on the line in the south Oshawa assembly plant.

I was given this job in early 2013 and have loved working here. This job has allowed me to pay for my ongoing university education and to gain an inside perspective of the manufacturing field (something I think all engineers working in the field should learn).

The work here is simple, but it has allowed me to network and to learn from people inside the business. Shift time works perfectly with school, as I work in the night shift, so work never clashes directly with school.

Overall, I absolutely love working at General Motors of Canada and I'm thankful for the opportunity to learn from them.
Always a fun day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  ChasissFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at GM consisted of building 400 cars per shift. And making sure the cars were built properly.

I learned a lot about time management because you only had a certain amount of time to do your job. If you did not finish your job within that time from you would shut the line off because you went out of your foot prints. It taught me to work faster and make sure the job was done right.

My co-workers were fantastic it was like working with family. We always had a good laugh and there was always good conversation.

The hardest part of my job was operating the hoist gun and getting into small spaces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and making sure you were making the customers happy by building there cars properly.
Pros
great co-workers, easy jobs
Cons
long hours, short lunch breaks
Great Learning experince / Teamwork
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 11, 2014
after 3 months of employment i was promoted to Utility Relief .
I was to learn 30 jobs on motor line and fill in where needed.
Learning something new everyday.
Pros
job rotation
Cons
short term employment hired as a swe ( supplemental work employee)
A Company in Transition
Truck Plant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 10, 2014
General Motors has been the worlds largest car manufacturer for a great many years. It is owned by a series of share holders that in my opinion interfere with its ability to adapt to the newer world markets.They are in a state of transition between old world and new.At my time of employ they were having trouble embracing the new world ways of manufacturing. I hope that they survive in the future for the sake of all of us.They have produced some truly iconic vehicles.They like any other company have good and bad in them.
Pros
well paid if you were full time
Cons
a harsh environment to work in sometimes
Quality
Contract Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  warren, miJanuary 29, 2014
Support fuel system AQP/PPAP timing requirements. Excessive travel
Pros
learning the aqp process
Cons
low pay and travel
Sales and Financing
Sales and Finance (Former Employee) –  Florida, MichiganJanuary 29, 2014
This job was not just about selling cars . I learned how to help people repair there credit . Auto sales and financing is the second largest purchase most people buy it was a good felling when you would see your client drive off in there new car .
Pros
helping people
body repair
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  torontoJanuary 21, 2014
great place to work gained valuable knowledge and I loved the city, it was exciting.
Fast paced and very interesting.
Group Leader Prismatics (Current Employee) –  St. CatharinesJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day is usually a minimum of 9 hrs. My position is to support the hourly Team Leaders in all aspects of the process. My co-workers are a mix, covering all levels of experience. Most enjoyable part of the job is when the teams succeed in an issue that they planned, worked on and completed with positive results.
Pros
comfort zone. i have worked for gm in many capacities over 35 years.
Cons
at times long hours.
excellent
Line assembler & Material Handling (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 9, 2014
Good place to work, excellent pay and benefits, co-workers with good values.
good pay - very repetitive work
Material Handler/DockTec (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 7, 2014
assembly line work - no room to advance to a better job for the first 10 years or so - people great to work with - management like many other companies mix of good and bad - hardest part is the boredom associated with repetitive work
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
boring work
good
Inventory Clerk - Parts Division (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCJanuary 4, 2014
Shipping / Receiving

• Inventory
• Preparing orders for selected dealerships
• Warehouse duties
N/A
Winter Test Driver (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONDecember 19, 2013
Great people and fun environment to work.
I highly recommend this job
Fun Workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONDecember 14, 2013
Standing, interacting with people, dealing with money, cleaning, friendly co-workers.
excellent place to work
Forklift operator, Assembler, Inspector, Janitor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 4, 2013
had many good years of work. made lots of friends and made lots of money.
Pros
excellent place to work
My work make a difference in the production of vehicle.
Test Driver (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONNovember 26, 2013
Working in a cold envirement,communicate oraly and in writing part failures or problems to technicians. Moving and charging batteries at charging station. Pushing vehicle with push trucks performing oil changes. I consider myself a people person and my co-workers are not comfortable to ask me for help. The hardest part of the job would be driving in stormy weather. What I enjoyed the most is that I spend a lot of time driving and working outdoors.
Pros
outdoor work
Cons
seasonal work only
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaNovember 15, 2013
Designed and developed an electric machine used in hybrid vehicle, to figure out the loss of the motor correctly
Experienced with LABVIEW data acquisition and equipment analysis
Organized and managed the time frame effectively for all the projects

4.2