GM Employee Reviews in Canada

amazing company
It Operations (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 19, 2014
the only issue is there is no place for me to grow
-best manager
-best benefits
-love working for GM
Pros
love the work enviroment
Cons
can't grow.
Great Co-workers, Supervisors With No Experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2014
A typical day on the consolidated assembly line included approximately 325 vehicles being worked on per shift. Jobs are planned and timed by ergonomic consultants that determine how much work can be done by one person safely on each car. Every second is accounted for and employees are pushed to the limit on a lot of jobs.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
repetitive work, short breaks and lunch
Licensed lift truck driver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 2, 2014
Over the 30 years of working for General Motors I had lots of opportunity to meet lots of great people and learn new skills. I worked as a team and individually. I was picked frequently to train other employees on many different jobs on the line and on forklift. Management always treated me with respect and I treated them the same.
Pros
great salary and benefits.
Cons
long commute to and from work.
great place to work for 31 years.
Plant Custodian (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 29, 2014
many great experiences. met and associated with many people.
productive
Line worker / Assembly (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntApril 12, 2014
fast paced,
teamwork,
job was repetitive, creating an easy routine
Working the line
Line Worker, Student Temp (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 10, 2014
This was my favourite place to work

I would punch in at 6 am or 3 pm. shifts where 8 hours with a 30min lunch and two 15 min brakes.

The people all worked as a team and where all was willing to help each other. Very positive workplace.

A day on the line would consist of lots of little pieces to be attached to the vehicle in one minute. These little jobs would be repeated for 4 hours than after lunch every one had the option to switch places.

Very fast paced environment
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
extremely repetitive
Self Employed
Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 31, 2014
• Provided general contracting services to independent small businesses and property owners for interior and exterior renovation solutions across the GTA.
• Services included decking repair or replacement, interlocking stone, general exterior maintenance, painting, plumbing, minor electrical, specialized landscaping and general interior repairs.
• Quickly established a solid client base resulting from referrals.
• Seasonal work - not very stable with a bad winter like we just had.
Pros
challenging
Cons
seasonal work
a factory enviroment
General Labour (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 23, 2014
starting working here at a young age and learned numerous jobs , safety tips and how to work with a team or work individually
some jobs where more physical than others
Terrible Environment
Departmental Group Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 16, 2014
You would not to wish the workplace on your worst enemy. Those that work in management are treated like dogs.
Small group of CSR every one got along
Bilingual CSR/ Parts and services (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Great atmosphere! shift work every pulled their weight every one helped each other in finding solutions supervisor always there to help
Pros
open door policy
Cons
shift work
I am very grateful for the chance to work for GM.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OnFebruary 24, 2014
I work at General Motors of Canada as a Temporary Part-Time worker. This job involves shift work twice or thrice a week on the line in the south Oshawa assembly plant.

I was given this job in early 2013 and have loved working here. This job has allowed me to pay for my ongoing university education and to gain an inside perspective of the manufacturing field (something I think all engineers working in the field should learn).

The work here is simple, but it has allowed me to network and to learn from people inside the business. Shift time works perfectly with school, as I work in the night shift, so work never clashes directly with school.

Overall, I absolutely love working at General Motors of Canada and I'm thankful for the opportunity to learn from them.
Always a fun day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  ChasissFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at GM consisted of building 400 cars per shift. And making sure the cars were built properly.

I learned a lot about time management because you only had a certain amount of time to do your job. If you did not finish your job within that time from you would shut the line off because you went out of your foot prints. It taught me to work faster and make sure the job was done right.

My co-workers were fantastic it was like working with family. We always had a good laugh and there was always good conversation.

The hardest part of my job was operating the hoist gun and getting into small spaces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and making sure you were making the customers happy by building there cars properly.
Pros
great co-workers, easy jobs
Cons
long hours, short lunch breaks
Great Learning experince / Teamwork
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 11, 2014
after 3 months of employment i was promoted to Utility Relief .
I was to learn 30 jobs on motor line and fill in where needed.
Learning something new everyday.
Pros
job rotation
Cons
short term employment hired as a swe ( supplemental work employee)
A Company in Transition
Truck Plant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 10, 2014
General Motors has been the worlds largest car manufacturer for a great many years. It is owned by a series of share holders that in my opinion interfere with its ability to adapt to the newer world markets.They are in a state of transition between old world and new.At my time of employ they were having trouble embracing the new world ways of manufacturing. I hope that they survive in the future for the sake of all of us.They have produced some truly iconic vehicles.They like any other company have good and bad in them.
Pros
well paid if you were full time
Cons
a harsh environment to work in sometimes
Quality
Contract Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  warren, miJanuary 29, 2014
Support fuel system AQP/PPAP timing requirements. Excessive travel
Pros
learning the aqp process
Cons
low pay and travel
Sales and Financing
Sales and Finance (Former Employee) –  Florida, MichiganJanuary 29, 2014
This job was not just about selling cars . I learned how to help people repair there credit . Auto sales and financing is the second largest purchase most people buy it was a good felling when you would see your client drive off in there new car .
Pros
helping people
body repair
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee) –  torontoJanuary 21, 2014
great place to work gained valuable knowledge and I loved the city, it was exciting.
Fast paced and very interesting.
Group Leader Prismatics (Current Employee) –  St. CatharinesJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day is usually a minimum of 9 hrs. My position is to support the hourly Team Leaders in all aspects of the process. My co-workers are a mix, covering all levels of experience. Most enjoyable part of the job is when the teams succeed in an issue that they planned, worked on and completed with positive results.
Pros
comfort zone. i have worked for gm in many capacities over 35 years.
Cons
at times long hours.
excellent
Line assembler & Material Handling (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 9, 2014
Good place to work, excellent pay and benefits, co-workers with good values.
good pay - very repetitive work
Material Handler/DockTec (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 7, 2014
assembly line work - no room to advance to a better job for the first 10 years or so - people great to work with - management like many other companies mix of good and bad - hardest part is the boredom associated with repetitive work
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
boring work

4.2