GM Employee Reviews in Canada

We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
treated like rats by the staff.
amazing company
It Operations (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 19, 2014
the only issue is there is no place for me to grow
-best manager
-best benefits
-love working for GM
Pros
love the work enviroment
Cons
can't grow.
not a lot of hours and very union.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  stcatharinesApril 10, 2013
Everyone is watching you all the time and no one works. Amazing that anything gets done.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
too many eyes waiting for you to mess up.
Busy and great place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioJuly 15, 2015
Management staff are great very approachable and helpful, everyone works as a team. Some days the hours are long, but still enjoyable.
Decent second employment
Suites Hostess (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 4, 2015
They were right when they told me it would be the easiest serving job you would ever have. Not having any previous serving experience, I still think that notion is correct. It is an easy night time job to get you some extra cash. You aren't guaranteed a large tip, but if you are friendly and get their desires quickly, you can encounter some pretty generous people.
The management is a little disorganized, but I can't blame them. There's 3/4 of them looking after about 40 people as well as dealing with any customer/hostess issue throughout an event.
This only works for people with another part-time job, the hours are very scattered throughout each month.
Pros
tips
Cons
hours
Nowhere better to work!
Computer Programmer and Warranty Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 23, 2015
The best thing that ever happened to me was landing a job at GM. No company is perfect, and there's always going to be something you don't like or don't agree with, but overall I was very challenged, motivated, and monetarily rewarded for my efforts.
Pros
job security
i enjoyed working there
Mécanicien-soudeur (Former Employee) –  montreal, QcJuly 15, 2013
I really enjoyed working there,
there was good co-worker.
But the salary wasn't enough
Pros
good co-worker
Cons
not enough salary
Physically demanding place to work for
Line assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 17, 2015
The management are uncaring and the employees use to be great people to work with but over time have become unfriendly. Job security is very low.
excellent
Line assembler & Material Handling (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 9, 2014
Good place to work, excellent pay and benefits, co-workers with good values.
Great people to work with
Tool Setter,Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 26, 2015
My job was a three shift operation,not the easiest to do but the people that I worked with made all the difference made good friends and a good re-pore with management,well some you can't please everyone
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Fun workplace with friendly team members
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 29, 2015
During my stay at General Motors of Canada, I discovered the following:
- the atmosphere is conducive for learning and working;
- GM is committed to the growth and career development of employees;
- GM employees are friendly and loving people.
A safe and positive work environment that has provided well for my family
Fork Lift Operator/Janitorial/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 6, 2013
A fast paced work environment, where we all had to work together.
Time management was most important.I have worked with some great people who have different interests and opinions which has made me a more versatile person.The hardest part of the job was making split second decisions that could have impacted productivity and time restraints. The best part was seeing my efforts come to fruiton.
Pros
great career with many perks
Cons
excessive heat and noise
Customer Service Rep
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJune 29, 2015
Keeping Customers Finances with General Motors current. Small knit office with approx. 40 employees. Working in a very nice building. Co-workers were all friendly and helpful.
Pros
close distance from home
Cons
not enough variety in daily work
Great wages
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 13, 2015
In my employment at General Motors I have been exposed to many different jobs on different shifts.General Motors provides great pay.
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 4, 2015
Great experience, a lot of opportunit.

Learn about the automotive manufacturing process.

At General Motors Canada, we market a full range of fuel-efficient Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles and related services. With over 23,000 people dedicated to delivering the best product to our customers, we are one of Canada's largest automotive dealer network
Culture in the company is excellent, but at this time, vive in the workplace is poor due to business reorganization.
Executive Assistant, SALES, MARKETING & DEPT (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioJune 24, 2012
Company has a very nice business culture. Everyone is so nice to work with. Pleasant atmosphere all the time. Management is excellent, treats their employees with utmost respect. Co-workers are fun to work with, like an extended family type of culture. The job is most enjoyable as everyone else is getting along well.

If not for re-organization in the company, I will be staying there until my time to retire is due.
Pros
fitness gym in the building
Cons
reorganizing all the time. there seems to be no security in every one's job anymore.
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
Pros
good wages
Cons
lack of managerial effectiveness
Good place to work, had no issues. Treated with respect by management and co-workers
Automotive Line Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa,OntarioOctober 24, 2012
Would report to supervisor and get my job task for the day. I was performing the function of a Utility Relief operator. Worked in Body shop all of my time as a G.M employee. Learned how to perform approximately 40 jobs and 20 of those functions were performed on the assembly line. Could perform all tasks at line speed. Management allways treated me with respect,as I allways performed all of my tasks,to the best of my ability.All of my co-workers were great people, and treated me with respect.We all got along with each other. Hardest part of the job would be the wear and tear on your body. Heavy lifting in some areas. Most enjoyable part would be,the people on the shop floor. All there for the same thing. Build the best product defect free for our customers.
Pros
being able to see a vehicle being build from start to finish
Cons
hard work, tough on the body.
A very enjoyable experience as a customer service representative
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Across CanadaFebruary 1, 2015
We were offered the opportunity to be fully trained in General Motors products and services and subsequently travel across the country and staff regional and international auto shows. Worked with a fantastic group of people and the management was very supportive.
It was a great place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 7, 2013
I worked steady days. We carried a pager so that when a call came in we would answer the page via computer. We would then check out what we needed for the job and get the necessary tools /equipment for the job.

I learned how to work with others, patience, safety.

Management was for the most part cooperative. If I didn't feel that the job wasn't safe I was free to voice that without consequences.

My co workers were the same. We worked together in an adult fashion. We would discuss the best wa tio handle the job and get it done.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a production supervisor why we had to shut a machine down to do a certain job. We had to lock out al power to a machine for it to be safe to work on and production didn't like to do that.

We had freedom of the plant, so we were able to go to different areas on free time. We weren't tied down to a job and our supervisor didn't mind as long as we had our pagers with us.
Pros
we got a lot of over time, usually weekends
Cons
sometimes it was extremely hot and dirty

4.2