GM Employee Reviews in Canada

Working the line
Line Worker, Student Temp (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 10, 2014
This was my favourite place to work

I would punch in at 6 am or 3 pm. shifts where 8 hours with a 30min lunch and two 15 min brakes.

The people all worked as a team and where all was willing to help each other. Very positive workplace.

A day on the line would consist of lots of little pieces to be attached to the vehicle in one minute. These little jobs would be repeated for 4 hours than after lunch every one had the option to switch places.

Very fast paced environment
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
extremely repetitive
Self Employed
Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 31, 2014
• Provided general contracting services to independent small businesses and property owners for interior and exterior renovation solutions across the GTA.
• Services included decking repair or replacement, interlocking stone, general exterior maintenance, painting, plumbing, minor electrical, specialized landscaping and general interior repairs.
• Quickly established a solid client base resulting from referrals.
• Seasonal work - not very stable with a bad winter like we just had.
Pros
challenging
Cons
seasonal work
Licensed lift truck driver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 2, 2014
Over the 30 years of working for General Motors I had lots of opportunity to meet lots of great people and learn new skills. I worked as a team and individually. I was picked frequently to train other employees on many different jobs on the line and on forklift. Management always treated me with respect and I treated them the same.
Pros
great salary and benefits.
Cons
long commute to and from work.
A Company in Transition
Truck Plant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 10, 2014
General Motors has been the worlds largest car manufacturer for a great many years. It is owned by a series of share holders that in my opinion interfere with its ability to adapt to the newer world markets.They are in a state of transition between old world and new.At my time of employ they were having trouble embracing the new world ways of manufacturing. I hope that they survive in the future for the sake of all of us.They have produced some truly iconic vehicles.They like any other company have good and bad in them.
Pros
well paid if you were full time
Cons
a harsh environment to work in sometimes
My work make a difference in the production of vehicle.
Test Driver (Current Employee) –  Kapuskasing, ONNovember 26, 2013
Working in a cold envirement,communicate oraly and in writing part failures or problems to technicians. Moving and charging batteries at charging station. Pushing vehicle with push trucks performing oil changes. I consider myself a people person and my co-workers are not comfortable to ask me for help. The hardest part of the job would be driving in stormy weather. What I enjoyed the most is that I spend a lot of time driving and working outdoors.
Pros
outdoor work
Cons
seasonal work only
Fast paced and very interesting.
Group Leader Prismatics (Current Employee) –  St. CatharinesJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day is usually a minimum of 9 hrs. My position is to support the hourly Team Leaders in all aspects of the process. My co-workers are a mix, covering all levels of experience. Most enjoyable part of the job is when the teams succeed in an issue that they planned, worked on and completed with positive results.
Pros
comfort zone. i have worked for gm in many capacities over 35 years.
Cons
at times long hours.
Excellent work environment with dedicated employees.
ASSEMBLER/TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 23, 2013
It was a pleasure to be associated with a first rate company that always held safety as its highest priority. There was always learning opportunities available and advancement opportunities if you chose them. I worked with some of the most dedicated people in the industry and it showed in our quality records.The work had its challenges as there are 14 000 or more parts on any typical vehicle and keeping everything perfect was challenging , at the end of the day it was rewarding to know that an excellent product was going to an eager customer.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits as well as great co-workers
Cons
n/a
Culture in the company is excellent, but at this time, vive in the workplace is poor due to business reorganization.
Executive Assistant, SALES, MARKETING & DEPT (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioJune 24, 2012
Company has a very nice business culture. Everyone is so nice to work with. Pleasant atmosphere all the time. Management is excellent, treats their employees with utmost respect. Co-workers are fun to work with, like an extended family type of culture. The job is most enjoyable as everyone else is getting along well.

If not for re-organization in the company, I will be staying there until my time to retire is due.
Pros
fitness gym in the building
Cons
reorganizing all the time. there seems to be no security in every one's job anymore.
A safe and positive work environment that has provided well for my family
Fork Lift Operator/Janitorial/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 6, 2013
A fast paced work environment, where we all had to work together.
Time management was most important.I have worked with some great people who have different interests and opinions which has made me a more versatile person.The hardest part of the job was making split second decisions that could have impacted productivity and time restraints. The best part was seeing my efforts come to fruiton.
Pros
great career with many perks
Cons
excessive heat and noise
see below
Tooling Designer and Processor (Former Employee) –  General Motors - Oshawa - Car Plant - ChassisApril 10, 2012
Challenging, fast paced, Progressive leadership roles, Ability to mentor groups to achieve goals.
Satisfaction of job well done at conclusion of day to day assignments.
Enjoyed working with vast cross sections multi-functional unionized skilled trades both inside and outside workers..
Ability to work with the Quality Control Systems Groups for collection of data to drive research, analysis, & strategic planning.
I am very grateful for the chance to work for GM.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OnFebruary 24, 2014
I work at General Motors of Canada as a Temporary Part-Time worker. This job involves shift work twice or thrice a week on the line in the south Oshawa assembly plant.

I was given this job in early 2013 and have loved working here. This job has allowed me to pay for my ongoing university education and to gain an inside perspective of the manufacturing field (something I think all engineers working in the field should learn).

The work here is simple, but it has allowed me to network and to learn from people inside the business. Shift time works perfectly with school, as I work in the night shift, so work never clashes directly with school.

Overall, I absolutely love working at General Motors of Canada and I'm thankful for the opportunity to learn from them.
General Motors
Job Setter & Machine Set (Former Employee) –  WindsorSeptember 27, 2012
Working in this facility for thirty years was great. I had the opportunity to learn on the job every day I was there and I also made some very good friends.
Having worked in different jobs within this facilty I believe it has given me a varied education in the manufacturing industry and I know I can put this to good use where ever I work in the future.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits, job security, intersting work.
Cons
shift work
Good people with freedom in the role
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 19, 2013
I was headhunted for this job, GM is trying to get back into the leasing side of the car business. Due to changes in the senior management structure and territories, I am no longer part of this organization.
A typical day with this company was travelling to GM stores in a designated territory and training new sales people on leasing
Pros
great people, freedom, working on your own
Cons
alot of driving
General Motors of Canada Limited is a Dynamic Work Place Environment and Culture
Electrical Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 20, 2012
General Motors of Canada Limited is a large Cooperation. The Enterprise have many different divisions of companies within its organization. Each company functions within its defined departments to achieve the company goals. From Management to the workers are part of its daily operational objectives.
A typical day at work are meetings, gathering informations, review informations and then perform form-fit-function functional process. The hardest part of the job is the human relationship, it is the communication between management and their co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is every other Friday, we call it TGIF my friend!
Pros
free breakfast some time...
Cons
long hours...
Best place I've worked at
Factory Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 31, 2013
Get up at 5:00 AM get off at 2:30PM.Built interior for every General Motors Car.Bosses were great.The job was hard on your hand.There was a lot of pulling when you were sewing seat cushions.Building door panels.Co-workers were the best.Getting up some mornings at 3:00AM because we started at 4:00.The job and the people most enjoyable.
Pros
learned how to sew
Cons
hard on the hands building interior for cars.
fun
Fan Services (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 12, 2015
this is really fun place to work as a little part time job but nothing else. Not much room to move up in managment although that seems to be changing rather quickly. so.
Pros
fun
Cons
only weekends
Always a fun day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  ChasissFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at GM consisted of building 400 cars per shift. And making sure the cars were built properly.

I learned a lot about time management because you only had a certain amount of time to do your job. If you did not finish your job within that time from you would shut the line off because you went out of your foot prints. It taught me to work faster and make sure the job was done right.

My co-workers were fantastic it was like working with family. We always had a good laugh and there was always good conversation.

The hardest part of my job was operating the hoist gun and getting into small spaces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and making sure you were making the customers happy by building there cars properly.
Pros
great co-workers, easy jobs
Cons
long hours, short lunch breaks
We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
treated like rats by the staff.
Productive and Fun work environment
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 10, 2013
General Motors offered unique opportunities to get hands on experience working in sales, marketing and advertising. A typical day included working with the advertising agency and dealer marketing boards to develop and execute marketing plans, advertisements and programs. My co-workers were enjoyable to work with and were very team-oriented.
great place to work
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 19, 2013
I was working with a great group of guys who were very patient and helpful to me while I was learning the job. I enjoyed working 2 weeks days, 2 weeks afternoons. it worked out great for my and my husband, we were opposite shift so there was always someone home with the kids. I also got to see my husband at work since his job was near me. The best part of the job was meeting new people.

4.2