GM Employee Reviews in Canada

Physically demanding place to work for
Line assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 17, 2015
The management are uncaring and the employees use to be great people to work with but over time have become unfriendly. Job security is very low.
Co-Op Job
Computer Network Techician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 17, 2015
Not the best use of my skills. Spent more time putting stickers on machines and appeasing egos than actually fixing computers. All technical work was pushed to EDS.
Pros
Great Name, great intro to the corporate world
Cons
Location, Union
Fun but hard work on paint line
Line Worker in the paint department (Former Employee) –  oshawaMarch 5, 2015
one of the hardest parts of my jobs was keeping up with the line speed but after two days i had it under control. i had lots of fun at this job the people i was working with were very great and open minded
Pros
good pay
Cons
late
High Pressure working environment
Non union worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 2, 2015
High Pressure to learn and do your job as fast as humanly possible. Which I enjoyed but others might not. A typical day consist of building cars, for myself I installed doors on the Vehicles.
fun
Fan Services (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 12, 2015
this is really fun place to work as a little part time job but nothing else. Not much room to move up in managment although that seems to be changing rather quickly. so.
Pros
fun
Cons
only weekends
fun, great learning experience
Progressed to repairman (Former Employee) –  Toronto CaFebruary 11, 2015
I was constantly trouble shooting problem and repairing. GM treated employees respectfully and generously. I am saddened GM closed and moved to the US.
Pros
one day a month off with pay. on top of other hollidays
Cons
n/a
Decent second employment
Suites Hostess (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 4, 2015
They were right when they told me it would be the easiest serving job you would ever have. Not having any previous serving experience, I still think that notion is correct. It is an easy night time job to get you some extra cash. You aren't guaranteed a large tip, but if you are friendly and get their desires quickly, you can encounter some pretty generous people.
The management is a little disorganized, but I can't blame them. There's 3/4 of them looking after about 40 people as well as dealing with any customer/hostess issue throughout an event.
This only works for people with another part-time job, the hours are very scattered throughout each month.
Pros
tips
Cons
hours
A very enjoyable experience as a customer service representative
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Across CanadaFebruary 1, 2015
We were offered the opportunity to be fully trained in General Motors products and services and subsequently travel across the country and staff regional and international auto shows. Worked with a fantastic group of people and the management was very supportive.
We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
treated like rats by the staff.
General Motors
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, OnDecember 30, 2014
I enjoyed working here and if the Truck Plant hadn't closed I would still be there
Pros
culture of advancement for those who earned it
productive
General labor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONDecember 23, 2014
good working environment, work safety, team work, time management
Great Place to work
Cafeteria employee (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONDecember 16, 2014
When I got to work there was always people saying hello and Being very gracious.
I learned how to prepare food for the cafeteria and serve to employees of general motors Canada I also got tours of The G.M Centre it was really Cool to see the Truck plant and car plant lines and how the employees there were definitely a team
Wages and benefits, Good people to work with.
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 14, 2014
Lost job due to corporate restructuring. Good work practices in safety and team dynamics.
benefits
Cons
corporate company restructuring
Accounting Analist
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  VENEZUELANovember 11, 2014
• Classify, prepare, codify, and register new accounts, bills and other financial statements according to the stablished procedures using manual and digital sistems.
made seat covers for General Motors Products.
Stock Clerk,Inspection,Sewing Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 24, 2014
good job raise a family . At the time General Motors was the largest car company in the world. They were world leaders in manufacturing processes. At the time the sewing departments were producing large volumes per day of finished back seats for Oldsmobile and Chevy automobiles.
Many learning opportunities
Project Engineer (CAE) (Current Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 21, 2014
Many learning opportunities
Career development oppotunities
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
Pros
good wages
Cons
lack of managerial effectiveness
great place to work
Tool Setter (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONAugust 11, 2014
Assembly line work

very repetitious

great co-workers

learned how to build engines, transmissions
Pros
great pay
Cons
shift work
Lots of good people !!!
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Windsor OntJuly 29, 2014
Each day clean all men's washrooms and locker room. Plus be on call for emergency clean ups .
Pros
good money and lots of friends
Cons
dirty work
amazing company
It Operations (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 19, 2014
the only issue is there is no place for me to grow
-best manager
-best benefits
-love working for GM
Pros
love the work enviroment
Cons
can't grow.

4.2