GM Employee Reviews in Canada

Customer Service Rep
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJune 29, 2015
Keeping Customers Finances with General Motors current. Small knit office with approx. 40 employees. Working in a very nice building. Co-workers were all friendly and helpful.
Pros
close distance from home
Cons
not enough variety in daily work
Great people to work with
Tool Setter,Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 26, 2015
My job was a three shift operation,not the easiest to do but the people that I worked with made all the difference made good friends and a good re-pore with management,well some you can't please everyone
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Enjoyable and valuable work experience
Quick Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 25, 2015
A typical day beings with being assigned your working area, which may differ each shift. You start in your area by setting up essentials that you need to use throughout your shift (mainly being food, stocking utensils. You learn efficiency during this process as well as how other areas work if you are assigned to an unfamiliar work space. Management is close the the other employees, and they are regularly by your side to help during working hours and also there to help with any issues you may have. This job is a demanding one due to the fast paced nature of it, which can become difficult, especially if something does not go to plan. However, the working environment is a very nice one and is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Nowhere better to work!
Computer Programmer and Warranty Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 23, 2015
The best thing that ever happened to me was landing a job at GM. No company is perfect, and there's always going to be something you don't like or don't agree with, but overall I was very challenged, motivated, and monetarily rewarded for my efforts.
Pros
job security
Great pay
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2015
Assembly of various parts to vehicles.
Personally learned how to put together and take apart different aspects of a vehicle.
Management is always getting the bad rap. But, they have a job to do to keep things running at the nominal rate.
Most co-workers you would be able to get along with but as with most places there is some malcontents.
Hardest part of General Motors is learning the first job you do. After that it seemed most jobs were easy to learn.
The best part of the job here was pay day.
Pros
Knowing your hours were steady.
Cons
Uneasiness about layoffs.
Great energy, lots of people
Suite Runner (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
The general motors centre was all about customer service, assisting customers and bringing them their orders was 90% of the job the other 10% was cleaning. I learned how to bus tables/rooms in a restaurant environment. The management was strict but still very nice and professional. My co-workers were always very supportive. The hardest part of the job was cleanup at the end of the day. But I loved meeting new people everyday.
Pros
meeting new people, great food
tedious
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  OshawaMay 5, 2015
Excellent salary and benefits. Shift work. Excellent group of people.
Fast paced and no tolerance for error. Repetitive work.
Pros
salary and benifits
Cons
shift work
Great place to work and great environment.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 5, 2015
Everyone is welcoming right away, and they train you how to do multiple jobs. Great job to be at for security, I'd recommend it to anyone!
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 4, 2015
Great experience, a lot of opportunit.

Learn about the automotive manufacturing process.

At General Motors Canada, we market a full range of fuel-efficient Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles and related services. With over 23,000 people dedicated to delivering the best product to our customers, we are one of Canada's largest automotive dealer network
productive
General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 1, 2015
work in the morning and in afternoon,past pace environment,punctual,the management are nice and approachable people,the hardest part of the job is working at night shift.I have a friendly co worker
Pros
good benefits
Cons
minimum hours
Fun workplace with friendly team members
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 29, 2015
During my stay at General Motors of Canada, I discovered the following:
- the atmosphere is conducive for learning and working;
- GM is committed to the growth and career development of employees;
- GM employees are friendly and loving people.
Physically demanding place to work for
Line assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 17, 2015
The management are uncaring and the employees use to be great people to work with but over time have become unfriendly. Job security is very low.
Co-Op Job
Computer Network Techician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 17, 2015
Not the best use of my skills. Spent more time putting stickers on machines and appeasing egos than actually fixing computers. All technical work was pushed to EDS.
Pros
Great Name, great intro to the corporate world
Cons
Location, Union
Fun but hard work on paint line
Line Worker in the paint department (Former Employee) –  oshawaMarch 5, 2015
one of the hardest parts of my jobs was keeping up with the line speed but after two days i had it under control. i had lots of fun at this job the people i was working with were very great and open minded
Pros
good pay
Cons
late
High Pressure working environment
Non union worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 2, 2015
High Pressure to learn and do your job as fast as humanly possible. Which I enjoyed but others might not. A typical day consist of building cars, for myself I installed doors on the Vehicles.
fun
Fan Services (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 12, 2015
this is really fun place to work as a little part time job but nothing else. Not much room to move up in managment although that seems to be changing rather quickly. so.
Pros
fun
Cons
only weekends
fun, great learning experience
Progressed to repairman (Former Employee) –  Toronto CaFebruary 11, 2015
I was constantly trouble shooting problem and repairing. GM treated employees respectfully and generously. I am saddened GM closed and moved to the US.
Pros
one day a month off with pay. on top of other hollidays
Cons
n/a
Decent second employment
Suites Hostess (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 4, 2015
They were right when they told me it would be the easiest serving job you would ever have. Not having any previous serving experience, I still think that notion is correct. It is an easy night time job to get you some extra cash. You aren't guaranteed a large tip, but if you are friendly and get their desires quickly, you can encounter some pretty generous people.
The management is a little disorganized, but I can't blame them. There's 3/4 of them looking after about 40 people as well as dealing with any customer/hostess issue throughout an event.
This only works for people with another part-time job, the hours are very scattered throughout each month.
Pros
tips
Cons
hours
A very enjoyable experience as a customer service representative
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Across CanadaFebruary 1, 2015
We were offered the opportunity to be fully trained in General Motors products and services and subsequently travel across the country and staff regional and international auto shows. Worked with a fantastic group of people and the management was very supportive.
We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
treated like rats by the staff.

4.2