GM Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent working environment, pure fun, very energetic place to work
Director, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Thia was a learning organization, we provided lots of opportunity for store staff to move up in the organization with the righ training. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this company, it was a team environment and I really enjoy working with a team. This company does so much for its employees. No day is really typical in HR that the enjoyment of working in HR.
Pros
employee leasing plan, discount on GM cars
Cons
travel was involved when GM acquired Financialinx, travel to Texas was required
made seat covers for General Motors Products.
Stock Clerk,Inspection,Sewing Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 24, 2014
good job raise a family . At the time General Motors was the largest car company in the world. They were world leaders in manufacturing processes. At the time the sewing departments were producing large volumes per day of finished back seats for Oldsmobile and Chevy automobiles.
Great energy, lots of people
Suite Runner (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
The general motors centre was all about customer service, assisting customers and bringing them their orders was 90% of the job the other 10% was cleaning. I learned how to bus tables/rooms in a restaurant environment. The management was strict but still very nice and professional. My co-workers were always very supportive. The hardest part of the job was cleanup at the end of the day. But I loved meeting new people everyday.
Pros
meeting new people, great food
General Motors
Job Setter & Machine Set (Former Employee) –  WindsorSeptember 27, 2012
Working in this facility for thirty years was great. I had the opportunity to learn on the job every day I was there and I also made some very good friends.
Having worked in different jobs within this facilty I believe it has given me a varied education in the manufacturing industry and I know I can put this to good use where ever I work in the future.
Pros
excellent wages and benefits, job security, intersting work.
Cons
shift work
Satisfying and challenging
Press technician/Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 16, 2015
Being a transfer press operator was a very satisfying,challengeing job. Suppervisors were excellent to work for co-workers were great to work with.Hardest part of the job was when the press broke down.The best part of the job, great prodution numbers at the end of the day.
Pros
job satisfaction
Cons
traffic at the end of the day
Licensed lift truck driver (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 2, 2014
Over the 30 years of working for General Motors I had lots of opportunity to meet lots of great people and learn new skills. I worked as a team and individually. I was picked frequently to train other employees on many different jobs on the line and on forklift. Management always treated me with respect and I treated them the same.
Pros
great salary and benefits.
Cons
long commute to and from work.
Enjoyable and valuable work experience
Quick Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 25, 2015
A typical day beings with being assigned your working area, which may differ each shift. You start in your area by setting up essentials that you need to use throughout your shift (mainly being food, stocking utensils. You learn efficiency during this process as well as how other areas work if you are assigned to an unfamiliar work space. Management is close the the other employees, and they are regularly by your side to help during working hours and also there to help with any issues you may have. This job is a demanding one due to the fast paced nature of it, which can become difficult, especially if something does not go to plan. However, the working environment is a very nice one and is the most enjoyable part of the job.
So much teaching/learning, so much variety
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  London ONOctober 6, 2015
General Motors has built many, many locomotives for here and abroad. This was a large shop with many welders which equates to so much knowledge that is/was passed throughout the shop. Truly a gold mine of information.
Pros
Lots of training, lots of variety
Cons
Lack of freedom regarding OT
Great Co-workers, Supervisors With No Experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2014
A typical day on the consolidated assembly line included approximately 325 vehicles being worked on per shift. Jobs are planned and timed by ergonomic consultants that determine how much work can be done by one person safely on each car. Every second is accounted for and employees are pushed to the limit on a lot of jobs.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
repetitive work, short breaks and lunch
Productive and Workplace Fun.
Work on the line (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 17, 2015
My typical day at work is I would punch in and my supervisor will tell me a list of things todo before me and my co-worker would start cleaning the store for example take out the recylcing to the bin, break down a skid if not already broken down and when I'm working Iwould find ways to speed up the work process or an easier way of doing the job. I would not say anything is hard about the job but you always have to be doing something and I'm totally fine with that, and the most fun part of my job is just talking to my co-workers and making jokes and just have a good time when we are done with are jobs.
Fast paced technical environment
Maintenance Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Leader, SKJanuary 2, 2013
Typical day at work:
assess manpower, verify PM's, manage any breakdown, troubleshoot and repair offline equipment, interact with management and write techincal shift report at the end of shift
Pros
salary plus overtime
Cons
good pay - very repetitive work
Material Handler/DockTec (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 7, 2014
assembly line work - no room to advance to a better job for the first 10 years or so - people great to work with - management like many other companies mix of good and bad - hardest part is the boredom associated with repetitive work
Pros
good pay and benifits
Cons
boring work
GM - good place to work
Quality Control Technician/Team leader (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 14, 2013
Good company to work with. Good work life balance. Flexibility. Safety training and attitude towards safety is commendable.
Pros
salary is very good
Cons
long hours and low raises
Wages and benefits, Good people to work with.
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 14, 2014
Lost job due to corporate restructuring. Good work practices in safety and team dynamics.
benefits
Cons
corporate company restructuring
Great pay
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2015
Assembly of various parts to vehicles.
Personally learned how to put together and take apart different aspects of a vehicle.
Management is always getting the bad rap. But, they have a job to do to keep things running at the nominal rate.
Most co-workers you would be able to get along with but as with most places there is some malcontents.
Hardest part of General Motors is learning the first job you do. After that it seemed most jobs were easy to learn.
The best part of the job here was pay day.
Pros
Knowing your hours were steady.
Cons
Uneasiness about layoffs.
Good Student Position
General Labourer (Temporary Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
For being a student, GM is a great place to be working. The pay is great, jobs aren't too physically demanding, but there is a pretty steep learning curve the first day or two.
It was phenomenal
CAE (Computer Aided Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa OntarioAugust 12, 2015
For me personally it was a great experience as a mechanical engineering intern. Typical day of work for the majority of my term was, check emails, start work that I had scheduled out for myself (ex. complete mesh fixes for hood (different programs), get certain part of project done, go to meeting, lunch, finish work I had planned, write down what needs to be done for tomorrow (personal thing I had started doing as a reminder) and then time to go home. Work life balance that was outlined by my manager was great, allowed us to manage our own time and trusted us to complete our work. The environment was constructed to allow individuals to grow in terms of technical ability and also showcase the different achievements or findings they came across to the local team. My coworkers were always helpful and mindful that I was still developing as a junior CAE, they literally never turned down my need of assistance whether it was for software or a structural assessment for a specific component or work order. Allowed us to see the physical side of the job (the actual plant where some of the parts were being made was across the street from us), we were shown this on the tour for interns. Overall the job encouraged growth, doing work you thought would benefit the company and the customer. Thought it was an amazing intern job. Also a bunch of extra curricular activities like team lunches/team building exercises, as well as larger scale activities like a summer barbecue for the centre or a basketball/foosball tournament.
Pros
Basketball/foosball tournaments, team lunches, team building excersizes, lead your own project later on in the term
ok
MACHINE OPERATOR & LABOURER (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Great people there but management doesn't care for it's workers
Pros
the rate of pay is good
Cons
benefits are getting worse every contract and jobs are getting faster
Always a fun day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  ChasissFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at GM consisted of building 400 cars per shift. And making sure the cars were built properly.

I learned a lot about time management because you only had a certain amount of time to do your job. If you did not finish your job within that time from you would shut the line off because you went out of your foot prints. It taught me to work faster and make sure the job was done right.

My co-workers were fantastic it was like working with family. We always had a good laugh and there was always good conversation.

The hardest part of my job was operating the hoist gun and getting into small spaces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and making sure you were making the customers happy by building there cars properly.
Pros
great co-workers, easy jobs
Cons
long hours, short lunch breaks
We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
treated like rats by the staff.

4.2