GM Employee Reviews in Canada

relaxed environment, computer oriented, easy to learn
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  markhamOctober 6, 2015
Great company, co-workers were all very welcoming and friendly. My first position as a receptionist so I've learned a lot about the receptionist role. Management is always willing to help me out when I have questions. My trainer was very patient with me when I started, answered all of my questions thoroughly and went through my personal notes with me. Very well known company and I'm very pleased to be a part of it.
Pros
Something different to do daily
Cons
Not enough hours for me
Its fine as a short term job, but nothing more
BOH Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioOctober 1, 2015
The place used to be fun to work at, but with its recent spike in popularity, the job is now more tedious and stressful than ever before.
Pros
Food with break, flexible hours
Cons
Long hours, work does not equal pay, stressful
demanding , but paid well
team leader (Former Employee) –  oshawaSeptember 23, 2015
first thing was to check that everyone in my group was at work , if not I would do their job until someone come to cover the job. I would take toque checks and record the results. THE workers in my group were good workers and I would give them extra breaks when I had the chance to show my appreciation. The lower level management were good to work with although we did have to deal with some group leaders that had no idea about the jobs we did.The hardest part of the job was trying to get things fixed properly i.e. hoists .
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad union
Good Student Position
General Labourer (Temporary Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
For being a student, GM is a great place to be working. The pay is great, jobs aren't too physically demanding, but there is a pretty steep learning curve the first day or two.
Excellent working environment, pure fun, very energetic place to work
Director, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2015
Thia was a learning organization, we provided lots of opportunity for store staff to move up in the organization with the righ training. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this company, it was a team environment and I really enjoy working with a team. This company does so much for its employees. No day is really typical in HR that the enjoyment of working in HR.
Pros
employee leasing plan, discount on GM cars
Cons
travel was involved when GM acquired Financialinx, travel to Texas was required
It was phenomenal
CAE (Computer Aided Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa OntarioAugust 12, 2015
For me personally it was a great experience as a mechanical engineering intern. Typical day of work for the majority of my term was, check emails, start work that I had scheduled out for myself (ex. complete mesh fixes for hood (different programs), get certain part of project done, go to meeting, lunch, finish work I had planned, write down what needs to be done for tomorrow (personal thing I had started doing as a reminder) and then time to go home. Work life balance that was outlined by my manager was great, allowed us to manage our own time and trusted us to complete our work. The environment was constructed to allow individuals to grow in terms of technical ability and also showcase the different achievements or findings they came across to the local team. My coworkers were always helpful and mindful that I was still developing as a junior CAE, they literally never turned down my need of assistance whether it was for software or a structural assessment for a specific component or work order. Allowed us to see the physical side of the job (the actual plant where some of the parts were being made was across the street from us), we were shown this on the tour for interns. Overall the job encouraged growth, doing work you thought would benefit the company and the customer. Thought it was an amazing intern job. Also a bunch of extra curricular activities like team lunches/team building exercises, as well as larger scale activities like a summer barbecue for the centre or a basketball/foosball tournament.
Pros
Basketball/foosball tournaments, team lunches, team building excersizes, lead your own project later on in the term
Great Group fo fellow employees
Material Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 26, 2015
Busy and sometimes stressful, learned some computer skills, great group of surpervisors that I worked for over 30 years, however through later years GMs drive to be more competitive has led to less training for its employees! Made several good friends over the years!
Pros
Wages, benefits, pension!
Productive and Workplace Fun.
Work on the line (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 17, 2015
My typical day at work is I would punch in and my supervisor will tell me a list of things todo before me and my co-worker would start cleaning the store for example take out the recylcing to the bin, break down a skid if not already broken down and when I'm working Iwould find ways to speed up the work process or an easier way of doing the job. I would not say anything is hard about the job but you always have to be doing something and I'm totally fine with that, and the most fun part of my job is just talking to my co-workers and making jokes and just have a good time when we are done with are jobs.
Busy and great place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioJuly 15, 2015
Management staff are great very approachable and helpful, everyone works as a team. Some days the hours are long, but still enjoyable.
Great wages
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 13, 2015
In my employment at General Motors I have been exposed to many different jobs on different shifts.General Motors provides great pay.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioJune 29, 2015
Keeping Customers Finances with General Motors current. Small knit office with approx. 40 employees. Working in a very nice building. Co-workers were all friendly and helpful.
Pros
close distance from home
Cons
not enough variety in daily work
Great people to work with
Tool Setter,Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 26, 2015
My job was a three shift operation,not the easiest to do but the people that I worked with made all the difference made good friends and a good re-pore with management,well some you can't please everyone
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Enjoyable and valuable work experience
Quick Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 25, 2015
A typical day beings with being assigned your working area, which may differ each shift. You start in your area by setting up essentials that you need to use throughout your shift (mainly being food, stocking utensils. You learn efficiency during this process as well as how other areas work if you are assigned to an unfamiliar work space. Management is close the the other employees, and they are regularly by your side to help during working hours and also there to help with any issues you may have. This job is a demanding one due to the fast paced nature of it, which can become difficult, especially if something does not go to plan. However, the working environment is a very nice one and is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Nowhere better to work!
Computer Programmer and Warranty Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 23, 2015
The best thing that ever happened to me was landing a job at GM. No company is perfect, and there's always going to be something you don't like or don't agree with, but overall I was very challenged, motivated, and monetarily rewarded for my efforts.
Pros
job security
Great pay
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2015
Assembly of various parts to vehicles.
Personally learned how to put together and take apart different aspects of a vehicle.
Management is always getting the bad rap. But, they have a job to do to keep things running at the nominal rate.
Most co-workers you would be able to get along with but as with most places there is some malcontents.
Hardest part of General Motors is learning the first job you do. After that it seemed most jobs were easy to learn.
The best part of the job here was pay day.
Pros
Knowing your hours were steady.
Cons
Uneasiness about layoffs.
Great energy, lots of people
Suite Runner (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
The general motors centre was all about customer service, assisting customers and bringing them their orders was 90% of the job the other 10% was cleaning. I learned how to bus tables/rooms in a restaurant environment. The management was strict but still very nice and professional. My co-workers were always very supportive. The hardest part of the job was cleanup at the end of the day. But I loved meeting new people everyday.
Pros
meeting new people, great food
tedious
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  OshawaMay 5, 2015
Excellent salary and benefits. Shift work. Excellent group of people.
Fast paced and no tolerance for error. Repetitive work.
Pros
salary and benifits
Cons
shift work
Great place to work and great environment.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 5, 2015
Everyone is welcoming right away, and they train you how to do multiple jobs. Great job to be at for security, I'd recommend it to anyone!
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 4, 2015
Great experience, a lot of opportunit.

Learn about the automotive manufacturing process.

At General Motors Canada, we market a full range of fuel-efficient Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles and related services. With over 23,000 people dedicated to delivering the best product to our customers, we are one of Canada's largest automotive dealer network
productive
General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 1, 2015
work in the morning and in afternoon,past pace environment,punctual,the management are nice and approachable people,the hardest part of the job is working at night shift.I have a friendly co worker
Pros
good benefits
Cons
minimum hours

4.2