GM Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
General Motors
Job Setter & Machine Set (Former Employee), WindsorSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: excellent wages and benefits, job security, intersting work.
Cons: shift work
Working in this facility for thirty years was great. I had the opportunity to learn on the job every day I was there and I also made some very good friends.
Having worked in different jobs within this facilty I believe it has given me a varied education in the manufacturing industry and I know I can put this to good use where ever I work in the future.
Licensed lift truck driver (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 2, 2014
Pros: great salary and benefits.
Cons: long commute to and from work.
Over the 30 years of working for General Motors I had lots of opportunity to meet lots of great people and learn new skills. I worked as a team and individually. I was picked frequently to train other employees on many different jobs on the line and on forklift. Management always treated me with respect and I treated them the same.
Good Student Position
General Labourer (Temporary Part-Time) (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 22, 2015
For being a student, GM is a great place to be working. The pay is great, jobs aren't too physically demanding, but there is a pretty steep learning curve the first day or two.
Great pay
Assembly Technician (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2015
Pros: Knowing your hours were steady.
Cons: Uneasiness about layoffs.
Assembly of various parts to vehicles.
Personally learned how to put together and take apart different aspects of a vehicle.
Management is always getting the bad rap. But, they have a job to do to keep things running at the nominal rate.
Most co-workers you would be able to get along with but as with most places there is some malcontents.
Hardest part of General Motors is learning the first job you do. After that it seemed most jobs were easy to learn.
The best part of the job here was pay day.
Great Co-workers, Supervisors With No Experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2014
Pros: good compensation
Cons: repetitive work, short breaks and lunch
A typical day on the consolidated assembly line included approximately 325 vehicles being worked on per shift. Jobs are planned and timed by ergonomic consultants that determine how much work can be done by one person safely on each car. Every second is accounted for and employees are pushed to the limit on a lot of jobs.
It was phenomenal
CAE (Computer Aided Engineer) (Former Employee), Oshawa OntarioAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Basketball/foosball tournaments, team lunches, team building excersizes, lead your own project later on in the term
For me personally it was a great experience as a mechanical engineering intern. Typical day of work for the majority of my term was, check emails, start work that I had scheduled out for myself (ex. complete mesh fixes for hood (different programs), get certain part of project done, go to meeting, lunch, finish work I had planned, write down what needs to be done for tomorrow (personal thing I had started doing as a reminder) and then time to go home. Work life balance that was outlined by my manager was great, allowed us to manage our own time and trusted us to complete our work. The environment was constructed to allow individuals to grow in terms of technical ability and also showcase the different achievements or findings they came across to the local team. My coworkers were always helpful and mindful that I was still developing as a junior CAE, they literally never turned down my need of assistance whether it was for software or a structural assessment for a specific component or work order. Allowed us to see the physical side of the job (the actual plant where some of the parts were being made was across the street from us), we were shown this on the tour for interns. Overall the job encouraged growth, doing work you thought would benefit the company and the customer. Thought it was an amazing intern job. Also a bunch of extra curricular activities like team lunches/team building exercises, as well as larger scale activities like a summer barbecue for the centre or a basketball/foosball tournament.
Wages and benefits, Good people to work with.
Assembler/Machine Operator (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONNovember 14, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: corporate company restructuring
Lost job due to corporate restructuring. Good work practices in safety and team dynamics.
Fast paced technical environment
Maintenance Group Leader (Current Employee), Leader, SKJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: salary plus overtime
Cons: long hours
Typical day at work:
assess manpower, verify PM's, manage any breakdown, troubleshoot and repair offline equipment, interact with management and write techincal shift report at the end of shift
good pay - very repetitive work
Material Handler/DockTec (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: good pay and benifits
Cons: boring work
assembly line work - no room to advance to a better job for the first 10 years or so - people great to work with - management like many other companies mix of good and bad - hardest part is the boredom associated with repetitive work
Busy and great place to work
Chef (Current Employee), Oshawa, OntarioJuly 15, 2015
Management staff are great very approachable and helpful, everyone works as a team. Some days the hours are long, but still enjoyable.
GM - good place to work
Quality Control Technician/Team leader (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 14, 2013
Pros: salary is very good
Cons: long hours and low raises
Good company to work with. Good work life balance. Flexibility. Safety training and attitude towards safety is commendable.
Nowhere better to work!
Computer Programmer and Warranty Analyst (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 23, 2015
Pros: job security
The best thing that ever happened to me was landing a job at GM. No company is perfect, and there's always going to be something you don't like or don't agree with, but overall I was very challenged, motivated, and monetarily rewarded for my efforts.
We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: pay was decent
Cons: treated like rats by the staff.
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Great people to work with
Tool Setter,Machine Operator (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMay 26, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: N/A
My job was a three shift operation,not the easiest to do but the people that I worked with made all the difference made good friends and a good re-pore with management,well some you can't please everyone
Decent second employment
Suites Hostess (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: tips
Cons: hours
They were right when they told me it would be the easiest serving job you would ever have. Not having any previous serving experience, I still think that notion is correct. It is an easy night time job to get you some extra cash. You aren't guaranteed a large tip, but if you are friendly and get their desires quickly, you can encounter some pretty generous people.
The management is a little disorganized, but I can't blame them. There's 3/4 of them looking after about 40 people as well as dealing with any customer/hostess issue throughout an event.
This only works for people with another part-time job, the hours are very scattered throughout each month.
Physically demanding place to work for
Line assembler (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 17, 2015
The management are uncaring and the employees use to be great people to work with but over time have become unfriendly. Job security is very low.
ok
MACHINE OPERATOR & LABOURER (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: the rate of pay is good
Cons: benefits are getting worse every contract and jobs are getting faster
Great people there but management doesn't care for it's workers
Fun workplace with friendly team members
Visiting Scientist (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 29, 2015
During my stay at General Motors of Canada, I discovered the following:
- the atmosphere is conducive for learning and working;
- GM is committed to the growth and career development of employees;
- GM employees are friendly and loving people.
Always a fun day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), ChasissFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, easy jobs
Cons: long hours, short lunch breaks
A typical day at GM consisted of building 400 cars per shift. And making sure the cars were built properly.

I learned a lot about time management because you only had a certain amount of time to do your job. If you did not finish your job within that time from you would shut the line off because you went out of your foot prints. It taught me to work faster and make sure the job was done right.

My co-workers were fantastic it was like working with family. We always had a good laugh and there was always good conversation.

The hardest part of my job was operating the hoist gun and getting into small spaces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and making sure you were making the customers happy by building there cars properly.
Customer Service Rep
Customer Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioJune 29, 2015
Pros: close distance from home
Cons: not enough variety in daily work
Keeping Customers Finances with General Motors current. Small knit office with approx. 40 employees. Working in a very nice building. Co-workers were all friendly and helpful.
Headquarters