GM

GM Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
body repair
CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENT (Former Employee), torontoJanuary 21, 2014
great place to work gained valuable knowledge and I loved the city, it was exciting.
good
Inventory Clerk - Parts Division (Former Employee), Pointe-Claire, QCJanuary 4, 2014
Shipping / Receiving

• Inventory
• Preparing orders for selected dealerships
• Warehouse duties
N/A
Winter Test Driver (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Kapuskasing, ONDecember 19, 2013
Great people and fun environment to work.
I highly recommend this job
excellent place to work
Forklift operator, Assembler, Inspector, Janitor (Former Employee), Windsor, ONDecember 4, 2013
Pros: excellent place to work
had many good years of work. made lots of friends and made lots of money.
Project Associate (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaNovember 15, 2013
Designed and developed an electric machine used in hybrid vehicle, to figure out the loss of the motor correctly
Experienced with LABVIEW data acquisition and equipment analysis
Organized and managed the time frame effectively for all the projects
Fast paced enterprise
Information Specialist (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONNovember 8, 2013
Pros: lots of different opportunities in it. nearly unlimited.
Cons: very conservative with compensation.
It is difficult to describe GM from a technology perspective, since up until this year, they did not really have an IT division in their portfolio. However, I have been working for GM for the last 15 years in IT indirectly (through EDS, and HP), and now directly.

GM is moving very quickly and steady towards new innovation. It's exciting to see how this will pan out. It's been nice that I've been able to work on many different things. I'm the type of person that likes to be challenged. I love to learn new things. From this perspective, GM is great.

On the flip-side, GM has really tightened up their budgeting. They are looking at every expense in detail. They do their homework when it comes to making decisions. Therefore, they're also very tight with compensation. I have yet to see an example of "pay for performance" from a personal level.
Great Company to work for
Pipefitter Apprentice (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 16, 2013
Pros: great job assignments & great career
I was able to take my Pipefitter Apprenticeship & worked for 33 years. Due to the economic time I was offered a retirement package. I feel too young to just take life easy. I would like to work for a few weeks, months or years as required.
i enjoyed working there
Mécanicien-soudeur (Former Employee), montreal, QcJuly 15, 2013
Pros: good co-worker
Cons: not enough salary
I really enjoyed working there,
there was good co-worker.
But the salary wasn't enough
Excellent work environment with dedicated employees.
ASSEMBLER/TEAM LEADER (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 23, 2013
Pros: excellent pay and benefits as well as great co-workers
Cons: n/a
It was a pleasure to be associated with a first rate company that always held safety as its highest priority. There was always learning opportunities available and advancement opportunities if you chose them. I worked with some of the most dedicated people in the industry and it showed in our quality records.The work had its challenges as there are 14 000 or more parts on any typical vehicle and keeping everything perfect was challenging , at the end of the day it was rewarding to know that an excellent product was going to an eager customer.
Great pay, benefits and people
Receiving Clerk, Warehouse Attendant, Group Leader (Current Employee), Leader, SKMay 9, 2013
Cons: attrition
This company has enabled me to learn every aspect of the facility, from shipping to receiving. The people have been great to work for these past 30 years.
Excellent Job
LINE WORKER (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 3, 2013
Pros: availability
Cons: long hours
Work environment was fast-paced and energetic
Learned to work as a team to complete certain jobs
auto manufacturer
Machine repairman/millwright for line repair (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 23, 2013
Pros: lots of hours and training
Cons: plant reductions and man power reductions
Great company to work for with lots of training and experiences in maintenance departments, operating fork lifts, mobile cranes, man lifts, cherry pickers, bucket trucks, as well as doing installations, break downs, Maximo reporting, PM's.
Good industrial work experience
Assembler (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 19, 2013
Pros: good work experience
I Learned how to work in mass production, at a fast work pace, and how to pace myself and produce a quality product.
not a lot of hours and very union.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), stcatharinesApril 10, 2013
Pros: great benifits
Cons: too many eyes waiting for you to mess up.
Everyone is watching you all the time and no one works. Amazing that anything gets done.
Maintenance Clerk
Chassis Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee), Oshawa ONFebruary 28, 2013
I currently am employed on Contract at General Motors Oshawa. It is a very challeging position.
ok
MACHINE OPERATOR & LABOURER (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: the rate of pay is good
Cons: benefits are getting worse every contract and jobs are getting faster
Great people there but management doesn't care for it's workers
It was a great place to work
Laborer (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: we got a lot of over time, usually weekends
Cons: sometimes it was extremely hot and dirty
I worked steady days. We carried a pager so that when a call came in we would answer the page via computer. We would then check out what we needed for the job and get the necessary tools /equipment for the job.

I learned how to work with others, patience, safety.

Management was for the most part cooperative. If I didn't feel that the job wasn't safe I was free to voice that without consequences.

My co workers were the same. We worked together in an adult fashion. We would discuss the best wa tio handle the job and get it done.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a production supervisor why we had to shut a machine down to do a certain job. We had to lock out al power to a machine for it to be safe to work on and production didn't like to do that.

We had freedom of the plant, so we were able to go to different areas on free time. We weren't tied down to a job and our supervisor didn't mind as long as we had our pagers with us.
worth to work
Senior Engineer (full time) (Current Employee), banagloreSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: very good culture
Cons: sometimes routine work
working in GM is a wonderful experince . I learnt new FEA softwares. All co-workers are very supportive always.
Opportunity to learn new skills
ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ASSEMBLER/ LEAD HAND (Former Employee), London, ONJune 18, 2012
This company was a good place to work because I was given the opportunity to develop new skills. My co-workers were great to wor with and very supportive. Management was always open to suggestions to improve quality and productivity
Very friendly, enjoyable company to work for.
Customer relation in business development (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 29, 2012
I enjoy working for General Motors, but as I am currently only part-time, I am looking to get into a full-time position in my field as an Administrative assistant.

About GM

Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world. From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art – Read more