GM

GM Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent work environment with dedicated employees.
ASSEMBLER/TEAM LEADER (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 23, 2013
Pros: excellent pay and benefits as well as great co-workers
Cons: n/a
It was a pleasure to be associated with a first rate company that always held safety as its highest priority. There was always learning opportunities available and advancement opportunities if you chose them. I worked with some of the most dedicated people in the industry and it showed in our quality records.The work had its challenges as there are – more... 14 000 or more parts on any typical vehicle and keeping everything perfect was challenging , at the end of the day it was rewarding to know that an excellent product was going to an eager customer. – less
Great pay, benefits and people
Receiving Clerk, Warehouse Attendant, Group Leader (Current Employee), Leader, SKMay 9, 2013
Cons: attrition
This company has enabled me to learn every aspect of the facility, from shipping to receiving. The people have been great to work for these past 30 years.
Excellent Job
LINE WORKER (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 3, 2013
Pros: availability
Cons: long hours
Work environment was fast-paced and energetic
Learned to work as a team to complete certain jobs
auto manufacturer
Machine repairman/millwright for line repair (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 23, 2013
Pros: lots of hours and training
Cons: plant reductions and man power reductions
Great company to work for with lots of training and experiences in maintenance departments, operating fork lifts, mobile cranes, man lifts, cherry pickers, bucket trucks, as well as doing installations, break downs, Maximo reporting, PM's.
Good industrial work experience
Assembler (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 19, 2013
Pros: good work experience
I Learned how to work in mass production, at a fast work pace, and how to pace myself and produce a quality product.
not a lot of hours and very union.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee), stcatharinesApril 10, 2013
Pros: great benifits
Cons: too many eyes waiting for you to mess up.
Everyone is watching you all the time and no one works. Amazing that anything gets done.
Maintenance Clerk
Chassis Maintenance Clerk (Current Employee), Oshawa ONFebruary 28, 2013
I currently am employed on Contract at General Motors Oshawa. It is a very challeging position.
ok
MACHINE OPERATOR & LABOURER (Current Employee), St. Catharines, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: the rate of pay is good
Cons: benefits are getting worse every contract and jobs are getting faster
Great people there but management doesn't care for it's workers
It was a great place to work
Laborer (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: we got a lot of over time, usually weekends
Cons: sometimes it was extremely hot and dirty
I worked steady days. We carried a pager so that when a call came in we would answer the page via computer. We would then check out what we needed for the job and get the necessary tools /equipment for the job.

I learned how to work with others, patience, safety.

Management was for the most part cooperative. If I didn't feel that the job wasn't safe – more... I was free to voice that without consequences.

My co workers were the same. We worked together in an adult fashion. We would discuss the best wa tio handle the job and get it done.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a production supervisor why we had to shut a machine down to do a certain job. We had to lock out al power to a machine for it to be safe to work on and production didn't like to do that.

We had freedom of the plant, so we were able to go to different areas on free time. We weren't tied down to a job and our supervisor didn't mind as long as we had our pagers with us. – less
worth to work
Senior Engineer (full time) (Current Employee), banagloreSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: very good culture
Cons: sometimes routine work
working in GM is a wonderful experince . I learnt new FEA softwares. All co-workers are very supportive always.
Opportunity to learn new skills
ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL ASSEMBLER/ LEAD HAND (Former Employee), London, ONJune 18, 2012
This company was a good place to work because I was given the opportunity to develop new skills. My co-workers were great to wor with and very supportive. Management was always open to suggestions to improve quality and productivity
Very friendly, enjoyable company to work for.
Customer relation in business development (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 29, 2012
I enjoy working for General Motors, but as I am currently only part-time, I am looking to get into a full-time position in my field as an Administrative assistant.
Great People to work with
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Oshawa OntarioMay 22, 2012
Pros: i have learned a great deal about quality control.
Cons: not to fond of afternoons.
I have learned a great deal in quality when dealing with the assembly of a variety of cars/parts. I fully enjoyed working with the people at General Motors.
repair vehicle
Shop Foreman/Mechanic (Former Employee), kentville NSMay 21, 2012
Pros: great place to work
Cons: not enough hours
company was great to work for people were always there to help u in anyway they could.
it was a fast pace enviroment with a lot of slow downs
Production Worker (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 11, 2012
My coworkers were good to work with and made the shifts go by fairly good. Since it was a job that is dictated by market demand it was a bit of a roller coaster for job security.
Approved of the Intern Life
Intern (Former Employee), Warren, MIDecember 19, 2014
Although I was working only as an intern in engineering, the company had a pretty good culture. You work with your teammates daily and I don't think there is an option to work from home ever. Everyone seemed knowledgeable and had a good mix of work hard/play hard.

Of other companies I've seen, they have the best town halls. Everyone in the office is – more... invited and has the ability to ask the high-ups questions about the company. This is a great if you have a question rather than mindlessly shaking your head based on company decisions. – less
fun and steady work environment
Auto Exterior Sander (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 16, 2014
Busy, fun, sometimes stressful yet manageable day. I worked 12-13 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of this job was knowing that I resolved my clients issues on their account.
Consevative Management
Design Release Engineer (Former Employee), Warren, MIDecember 16, 2014
Pros: dynamic environment with limited resources
Cons: lean organization
Design Release Engineer, Warren, Michigan
Research and future product development of automatic transmissions accessories such as power take-off, shift cables, indicators, tubes, and Transmission Oil Cooler lines, quick connect features, and Engine Oil Cooler lines. Designed validation tests and oversaw product development of Powertrain package. Performed – more... the Project Design, mock-up, component fabrication, assembly, build and the analysis of the GMPT 4L80-E and Allison Twin countershaft and Planetary designs for light duty applications with Power Take-Off and an integrated hydraulic pump system for Auxiliary Power.

Project Engineer, Rochester, New York
Product development of ETC, MPFI and alternate fuel system programs, including electronic throttle control. Developed test programs, supervised technicians, coordinated vendor proposals with facilities, engineering and model shop.

Technical Liaison, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
In charge of operations at an off-site engine dynamometer and vehicle laboratory. Controlled budget, insured integrity of data and directed technicians for all test procedures.

Project Engineer, Flint, Michigan
Designed and implemented a state-of-the-art engine dynamometer and Vehicle Emission Test Site. Developed vendor bid proposals, evaluated equipment and analyzed cost comparisons to achieve goal within budget. Enforced quality control of test data. – less
Disorganized work environment
Software Developer (Current Employee), Roswell, GADecember 15, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: little advancement oportunities
The IT Departments are new In GM, so there is still a lot of room for improvement. Opportunities for advancement are scarce.
Structured lunches
Paid Intern (Former Employee), Newark, DEDecember 11, 2014
Fair and reasonable management. Clear direction and communication of expectations. Good work / life balance. Good group of co-workers. Management committed to mentoring. Performance oriented managers. Excellent benefits program. Positive attitude by all co-workers. Very professional support staff.

About GM

Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world. From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art – Read more