GM
1,158 reviews

GM Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Workplace Fun.
Work on the line (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJuly 17, 2015
My typical day at work is I would punch in and my supervisor will tell me a list of things todo before me and my co-worker would start cleaning the store for example take out the recylcing to the bin, break down a skid if not already broken down and when I'm working Iwould find ways to speed up the work process or an easier way of doing the job. I would not say anything is hard about the job but you always have to be doing something and I'm totally fine with that, and the most fun part of my job is just talking to my co-workers and making jokes and just have a good time when we are done with are jobs.
Busy and great place to work
Chef (Current Employee), Oshawa, OntarioJuly 15, 2015
Management staff are great very approachable and helpful, everyone works as a team. Some days the hours are long, but still enjoyable.
Great energy, lots of people
Suite Runner (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
Pros: meeting new people, great food
Cons: long hours
The general motors centre was all about customer service, assisting customers and bringing them their orders was 90% of the job the other 10% was cleaning. I learned how to bus tables/rooms in a restaurant environment. The management was strict but still very nice and professional. My co-workers were always very supportive. The hardest part of the job was cleanup at the end of the day. But I loved meeting new people everyday.
tedious
Production Worker (Former Employee), OshawaMay 5, 2015
Pros: salary and benifits
Cons: shift work
Excellent salary and benefits. Shift work. Excellent group of people.
Fast paced and no tolerance for error. Repetitive work.
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 4, 2015
Great experience, a lot of opportunit.

Learn about the automotive manufacturing process.

At General Motors Canada, we market a full range of fuel-efficient Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles and related services. With over 23,000 people dedicated to delivering the best product to our customers, we are one of Canada's largest automotive dealer network
Physically demanding place to work for
Line assembler (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 17, 2015
The management are uncaring and the employees use to be great people to work with but over time have become unfriendly. Job security is very low.
Fun but hard work on paint line
Line Worker in the paint department (Former Employee), oshawaMarch 5, 2015
Pros: good pay
Cons: late
one of the hardest parts of my jobs was keeping up with the line speed but after two days i had it under control. i had lots of fun at this job the people i was working with were very great and open minded
High Pressure working environment
Non union worker (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 2, 2015
High Pressure to learn and do your job as fast as humanly possible. Which I enjoyed but others might not. A typical day consist of building cars, for myself I installed doors on the Vehicles.
fun, great learning experience
Progressed to repairman (Former Employee), Toronto CaFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: one day a month off with pay. on top of other hollidays
Cons: n/a
I was constantly trouble shooting problem and repairing. GM treated employees respectfully and generously. I am saddened GM closed and moved to the US.
We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
Pros: pay was decent
Cons: treated like rats by the staff.
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers – more... because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps. – less
General Motors
Team Leader (Former Employee), Oshawa, OnDecember 30, 2014
Pros: culture of advancement for those who earned it
I enjoyed working here and if the Truck Plant hadn't closed I would still be there
made seat covers for General Motors Products.
Stock Clerk,Inspection,Sewing Machine operator (Former Employee), Windsor, ONOctober 24, 2014
good job raise a family . At the time General Motors was the largest car company in the world. They were world leaders in manufacturing processes. At the time the sewing departments were producing large volumes per day of finished back seats for Oldsmobile and Chevy automobiles.
Many learning opportunities
Project Engineer (CAE) (Current Employee), Warren, MISeptember 21, 2014
Many learning opportunities
Career development oppotunities
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: good wages
Cons: lack of managerial effectiveness
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
great place to work
Tool Setter (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONAugust 11, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: shift work
Assembly line work

very repetitious

great co-workers

learned how to build engines, transmissions
Lots of good people !!!
Custodian (Former Employee), Windsor OntJuly 29, 2014
Pros: good money and lots of friends
Cons: dirty work
Each day clean all men's washrooms and locker room. Plus be on call for emergency clean ups .
Great Co-workers, Supervisors With No Experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2014
Pros: good compensation
Cons: repetitive work, short breaks and lunch
A typical day on the consolidated assembly line included approximately 325 vehicles being worked on per shift. Jobs are planned and timed by ergonomic consultants that determine how much work can be done by one person safely on each car. Every second is accounted for and employees are pushed to the limit on a lot of jobs.
Working the line
Line Worker, Student Temp (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 10, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: extremely repetitive
This was my favourite place to work

I would punch in at 6 am or 3 pm. shifts where 8 hours with a 30min lunch and two 15 min brakes.

The people all worked as a team and where all was willing to help each other. Very positive workplace.

A day on the line would consist of lots of little pieces to be attached to the vehicle in one minute. These little jobs would be repeated for 4 hours than after lunch every one had the option to switch places.

Very fast paced environment
Self Employed
Self Employed (Former Employee), Oakville, ONMarch 31, 2014
Pros: challenging
Cons: seasonal work
• Provided general contracting services to independent small businesses and property owners for interior and exterior renovation solutions across the GTA.
• Services included decking repair or replacement, interlocking stone, general exterior maintenance, painting, plumbing, minor electrical, specialized landscaping and general interior repairs.
• Quickly established a solid client base resulting from referrals.
• Seasonal work - not very stable with a bad winter like we just had.
a factory enviroment
General Labour (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 23, 2014
starting working here at a young age and learned numerous jobs , safety tips and how to work with a team or work individually
some jobs where more physical than others

1 2 3

About GM

Growth opportunities at GM for talented people are as wide as the world. From the design and engineering of new state-of-the-art – Read more