GM

1.3K reviews

GM Employee Reviews

We were Supplemental Work Employees (contractors) brought in by management and agreed to by the CAW for temporary work until the new contract was sign
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2015
I didn't mind the hard work. Mgmt was in the process of enlarging all the jobs and downsizing the work force. We (SWEs) were not warmly welcomed by the rank and file of the CAW because we were contractors and not employees. They thought we had no business having certain jobs; translation: every lousy job should have gone to us. I was put in the Paint Shop, which is a preferred destination of GM workers because they are considered the easy jobs. I was covering for a person on long-term disability, but that didn't matter to the people who worked there and they let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not welcome. They would get upset with me for working too hard. Their motto is 'save some for the next guy'. They were in the Paint Shop because they didn't want to work hard and they hated anyone trying to show them up. That's not what I was intending to do, but SWE's were expendable if they didn't bust their humps.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
treated like rats by the staff.
It was a great place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 7, 2013
I worked steady days. We carried a pager so that when a call came in we would answer the page via computer. We would then check out what we needed for the job and get the necessary tools /equipment for the job.

I learned how to work with others, patience, safety.

Management was for the most part cooperative. If I didn't feel that the job wasn't safe I was free to voice that without consequences.

My co workers were the same. We worked together in an adult fashion. We would discuss the best wa tio handle the job and get it done.

The hardest part of the job was explaining to a production supervisor why we had to shut a machine down to do a certain job. We had to lock out al power to a machine for it to be safe to work on and production didn't like to do that.

We had freedom of the plant, so we were able to go to different areas on free time. We weren't tied down to a job and our supervisor didn't mind as long as we had our pagers with us.
Pros
we got a lot of over time, usually weekends
Cons
sometimes it was extremely hot and dirty
Fast paced enterprise
Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 8, 2013
It is difficult to describe GM from a technology perspective, since up until this year, they did not really have an IT division in their portfolio. However, I have been working for GM for the last 15 years in IT indirectly (through EDS, and HP), and now directly.

GM is moving very quickly and steady towards new innovation. It's exciting to see how this will pan out. It's been nice that I've been able to work on many different things. I'm the type of person that likes to be challenged. I love to learn new things. From this perspective, GM is great.

On the flip-side, GM has really tightened up their budgeting. They are looking at every expense in detail. They do their homework when it comes to making decisions. Therefore, they're also very tight with compensation. I have yet to see an example of "pay for performance" from a personal level.
Pros
lots of different opportunities in it. nearly unlimited.
Cons
very conservative with compensation.
Overall I've enjoyed my time at GM
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 10, 2015
Working on the assembly line at General Motors could be very monotonous and not very difficult. However, by volunteering in health and safety groups I was able to change up the monotonous of my job as well as keep up to date on work place hazards in my industry. While being a member of the health and safety group I was able to strengthen my relationships with different levels of management as well as my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was trying to build a bridge between seniority employees whom would try to resist change with the ideas of new management in regards to health and safety.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my ability to change jobs every three months. This allowed me to learn more about the products we were building as well as meet new people that have turned into great friendships.
Pros
family like environment
Cons
no job security
Always a fun day at work
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  ChasissFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day at GM consisted of building 400 cars per shift. And making sure the cars were built properly.

I learned a lot about time management because you only had a certain amount of time to do your job. If you did not finish your job within that time from you would shut the line off because you went out of your foot prints. It taught me to work faster and make sure the job was done right.

My co-workers were fantastic it was like working with family. We always had a good laugh and there was always good conversation.

The hardest part of my job was operating the hoist gun and getting into small spaces.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and making sure you were making the customers happy by building there cars properly.
Pros
great co-workers, easy jobs
Cons
long hours, short lunch breaks
Productive and Workplace Fun.
Work on the line (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 17, 2015
My typical day at work is I would punch in and my supervisor will tell me a list of things todo before me and my co-worker would start cleaning the store for example take out the recylcing to the bin, break down a skid if not already broken down and when I'm working Iwould find ways to speed up the work process or an easier way of doing the job. I would not say anything is hard about the job but you always have to be doing something and I'm totally fine with that, and the most fun part of my job is just talking to my co-workers and making jokes and just have a good time when we are done with are jobs.
Excellent work environment with dedicated employees.
ASSEMBLER/TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 23, 2013
It was a pleasure to be associated with a first rate company that always held safety as its highest priority. There was always learning opportunities available and advancement opportunities if you chose them. I worked with some of the most dedicated people in the industry and it showed in our quality records.The work had its challenges as there are 14 000 or more parts on any typical vehicle and keeping everything perfect was challenging , at the end of the day it was rewarding to know that an excellent product was going to an eager customer.
Pros
excellent pay and benefits as well as great co-workers
Cons
n/a
Working the line
Line Worker, Student Temp (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 10, 2014
This was my favourite place to work

I would punch in at 6 am or 3 pm. shifts where 8 hours with a 30min lunch and two 15 min brakes.

The people all worked as a team and where all was willing to help each other. Very positive workplace.

A day on the line would consist of lots of little pieces to be attached to the vehicle in one minute. These little jobs would be repeated for 4 hours than after lunch every one had the option to switch places.

Very fast paced environment
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
extremely repetitive
Various jobs had various supervisors. All different
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Too many years to tell a typical day. I included that as much as I could in job descriptions. I held many positions.

Most co-workers were great. I had one that was abusive in the extreme and management were not only unsupportive but they transferred me and kept her.

99% of the jobs were great. My job in Engineering was as well until the arrival of the other secretary. Management was ineffective and preferred to turn a blind eye even though others complained about her.

The most enjoyable part was the rest of the staff.
Pros
good wages
Cons
lack of managerial effectiveness
relaxed environment, computer oriented, easy to learn
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  markhamOctober 6, 2015
Great company, co-workers were all very welcoming and friendly. My first position as a receptionist so I've learned a lot about the receptionist role. Management is always willing to help me out when I have questions. My trainer was very patient with me when I started, answered all of my questions thoroughly and went through my personal notes with me. Very well known company and I'm very pleased to be a part of it.
Pros
Something different to do daily
Cons
Not enough hours for me
Great energy, lots of people
Suite Runner (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
The general motors centre was all about customer service, assisting customers and bringing them their orders was 90% of the job the other 10% was cleaning. I learned how to bus tables/rooms in a restaurant environment. The management was strict but still very nice and professional. My co-workers were always very supportive. The hardest part of the job was cleanup at the end of the day. But I loved meeting new people everyday.
Pros
meeting new people, great food
Great Co-workers, Supervisors With No Experience
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 12, 2014
A typical day on the consolidated assembly line included approximately 325 vehicles being worked on per shift. Jobs are planned and timed by ergonomic consultants that determine how much work can be done by one person safely on each car. Every second is accounted for and employees are pushed to the limit on a lot of jobs.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
repetitive work, short breaks and lunch
Self Employed
Self Employed (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 31, 2014
• Provided general contracting services to independent small businesses and property owners for interior and exterior renovation solutions across the GTA.
• Services included decking repair or replacement, interlocking stone, general exterior maintenance, painting, plumbing, minor electrical, specialized landscaping and general interior repairs.
• Quickly established a solid client base resulting from referrals.
• Seasonal work - not very stable with a bad winter like we just had.
Pros
challenging
Cons
seasonal work
Great Place to Work
Mechanical Engineer & Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 4, 2015
Great experience, a lot of opportunit.

Learn about the automotive manufacturing process.

At General Motors Canada, we market a full range of fuel-efficient Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles and related services. With over 23,000 people dedicated to delivering the best product to our customers, we are one of Canada's largest automotive dealer network
Good Midnight job with good hours.
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Days went by fast, so made working there feel quick. The management was fine, you did nothing wrong they did not have a problem with you. Other co-workers are nice to chat with and be around. The job was an all around good job for a temporary full time job.
Pros
Jobs were easy to learn
Cons
Short breaks
nothing ever changed
Temporary Full- time (SWED) (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 18, 2016
not a bad place to work, but working on the line and doing the same thing over and over again got to be a tad bit boring. lots of nice people who made working there not so bad. Learned lots and gained some knowledge
Pros
good money, nice people, good enviroment
Cons
short breaks, boring at times
Assembly Line Worker
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Followed proper job requirements consistently throughout each day of work. Stayed up to date with safety requirements and procedures. Working on the line kept me on my toes and took great attention to detail. The plant has such an open environment that I got to meet some great folks while working there.
made seat covers for General Motors Products.
Stock Clerk,Inspection,Sewing Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 24, 2014
good job raise a family . At the time General Motors was the largest car company in the world. They were world leaders in manufacturing processes. At the time the sewing departments were producing large volumes per day of finished back seats for Oldsmobile and Chevy automobiles.
Fun but hard work on paint line
Line Worker in the paint department (Former Employee) –  oshawaMarch 5, 2015
one of the hardest parts of my jobs was keeping up with the line speed but after two days i had it under control. i had lots of fun at this job the people i was working with were very great and open minded
Pros
good pay
Cons
late
auto manufacturer
Machine repairman/millwright for line repair (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 23, 2013
Great company to work for with lots of training and experiences in maintenance departments, operating fork lifts, mobile cranes, man lifts, cherry pickers, bucket trucks, as well as doing installations, break downs, Maximo reporting, PM's.
Pros
lots of hours and training
Cons
plant reductions and man power reductions