GM Employee Reviews in Canada

Overall I've enjoyed my time at GM
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 10, 2015
Working on the assembly line at General Motors could be very monotonous and not very difficult. However, by volunteering in health and safety groups I was able to change up the monotonous of my job as well as keep up to date on work place hazards in my industry. While being a member of the health and safety group I was able to strengthen my relationships with different levels of management as well as my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was trying to build a bridge between seniority employees whom would try to resist change with the ideas of new management in regards to health and safety.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my ability to change jobs every three months. This allowed me to learn more about the products we were building as well as meet new people that have turned into great friendships.
Pros
family like environment
Cons
no job security
Fun working environment
Customer Service Advisor / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONDecember 1, 2015
Good place to work if you live in the Durham region. No traffic and good health benefits. Management is very accessible and training is very good. Lots of different lines of business to keep you interested.
Pros
Free perks at local businesses
Cons
short lunches and breaks
Great Work Enviroment
Quick Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 30, 2016
It is a great place to work at. All of the staff is friendly and work together as a team. The management is very easy to talk to and very understanding of medical issues etc. I have never had an issue in 7 years of employment. It is never a dull moment as the venue holds various events such as hockey games, concerts etc. The only downside is the employment is not enough to live on, it is part time/seasonal.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
part time/seasonal
great place
team lead (Former Employee) –  west paint oshawa ontJanuary 20, 2016
see what repairs need to be done 1st , prioritize older jobs , delegate work, hand out & check stock reorder stock if needed, check parts list for chassis. check managements requests . , follow up on repair list . hardest part of job is keeping every body happy , most enjoyable part of job is working with every one to get the job done right & keep every one happy, leave area clean & ready for next shift,
Pros
pat on the back for a job well done
Cons
some long days
Good Midnight job with good hours.
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Days went by fast, so made working there feel quick. The management was fine, you did nothing wrong they did not have a problem with you. Other co-workers are nice to chat with and be around. The job was an all around good job for a temporary full time job.
Pros
Jobs were easy to learn
Cons
Short breaks
Waiting for contract negotiations
Machine Tool Setter (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 14, 2016
Contract will be a pivotal time at this plant. the people are good to work with, direct supervisors are good to work with. machining lines, assembly lines, none of the jobs i've encountered are overly physical or laborious. too bad management is looking to reduce their costs by contracting out our jobs to the lowest bidder. Eventually they will pull of Canada all together....
Pros
flexible with time off in my department
Cons
supplemental work force employee = temp = second class citizen
I am student and working on project Assocoiated and sponsored by GM
GM Pace Project (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 6, 2016
currently, I am working on a project that is the part of GM PACE competition. It has been a great opportunity to work under the guidance of professors and employees from GM. Whenever my team has any problem they helped us a lot. With their support, we are able to achieve the top ten position in this competition and hoping to win this.
Fun place to work as internship
Administrative Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 30, 2015
Nice place to worked at with amazing co-workers and management. Very friendly atmosphere to be around, very supportive and ready to help always.
Laid back, decent place to work with good pay.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 6, 2016
A typical day is to begin your shift at 6:30am with driving and testing vehicles till 2:30pm when your shift is over. My co-workers were great to work with as well as management for the most part. Hardest part of the job would be the repetitive nature of factory work. Other than that it was good.
IT Incident Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ONJuly 13, 2016
The people and atmosphere are great. They are very accommodating and easy to work with. I learned so very much and took so many courses. My co--workers were a pleasure to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendliness of everyone I came across.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Very talented management
Lighting Program Manager Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 17, 2016
Great team to work with and the management was very talented at getting the best from their people. The GM systems are rather complex and sometimes cumbersome but quite effective regarding global communication for a large corporation.
Pros
compationate work place
demanding , but paid well
team leader (Former Employee) –  oshawaSeptember 23, 2015
first thing was to check that everyone in my group was at work , if not I would do their job until someone come to cover the job. I would take toque checks and record the results. THE workers in my group were good workers and I would give them extra breaks when I had the chance to show my appreciation. The lower level management were good to work with although we did have to deal with some group leaders that had no idea about the jobs we did.The hardest part of the job was trying to get things fixed properly i.e. hoists .
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad union
relaxed environment, computer oriented, easy to learn
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  markhamOctober 6, 2015
Great company, co-workers were all very welcoming and friendly. My first position as a receptionist so I've learned a lot about the receptionist role. Management is always willing to help me out when I have questions. My trainer was very patient with me when I started, answered all of my questions thoroughly and went through my personal notes with me. Very well known company and I'm very pleased to be a part of it.
Pros
Something different to do daily
Cons
Not enough hours for me
General Motors of Canada
Locomotive Tester Technician (Former Employee) –  2021 Oxford Street London OntarioJuly 13, 2016
General Motors of Canada was the best company to work with. Excellent working conditions, amazing pay, and excellent benefits.
Pros
General Motors is the best company
Cons
there are no cons they were the best in the field of Locomotives
Excellent job for summer student
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 16, 2016
Worked in truck plant for two summers and enjoyed every minute of it. I wish i could have become a full time employee. Wage and benefits package are excellent. The co workers and shifts were very easy to incorporate in to my life.
General Motors Centre
CONVERSIONS STAFF (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 7, 2016
The General Motors Centre not GM. Just a bad place to work, no room to move up and very little hours. Management will lay you off without any notice, no breaks and poor paid. Management picks who will move up.
Pros
Cons
The job
Productive and fun workplace
Maintenance Supervisor / Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 15, 2016
My experience at GM West Paint Shop is fun, always learning new things, working with many different machines and paints, and communicating with many people. Every employee in the WPS are kind, friendly and really great people to work with.
Productive learning environment
Production and Assembly Line Team Member (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 20, 2016
Working at General Motors has prepared me for future leadership positions centered in a team-work environment. The culture of the workplace was conducive to learning.
excellent work force
Car and truck assembly line operator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 16, 2016
Management were available to answer any question about the required duties and co-workers well trained. Training in terms of work place health and safety was excellent.
Pros
excellent salary and benefits
Cons
certain hours of operation
Food Service
Server / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 7, 2016
Served food within different departments of the facility, nightly cleanings, and nightly cash deposits.

Most enjoyable part was working during special events and seeing different performers and artist.

4.2