GM Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun working environment
Customer Service Advisor / Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONDecember 1, 2015
Good place to work if you live in the Durham region. No traffic and good health benefits. Management is very accessible and training is very good. Lots of different lines of business to keep you interested.
Pros
Free perks at local businesses
Cons
short lunches and breaks
Fast paced line work.
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONOctober 30, 2015
A typical day at work at GM would be very fast paced I would fasten steering rods to the car using an air gun, and clip the splashguards to the bottom.
Pros
High salary
Cons
Hard on body
Overall I've enjoyed my time at GM
Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 10, 2015
Working on the assembly line at General Motors could be very monotonous and not very difficult. However, by volunteering in health and safety groups I was able to change up the monotonous of my job as well as keep up to date on work place hazards in my industry. While being a member of the health and safety group I was able to strengthen my relationships with different levels of management as well as my fellow co-workers.
The hardest part of my job was trying to build a bridge between seniority employees whom would try to resist change with the ideas of new management in regards to health and safety.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my ability to change jobs every three months. This allowed me to learn more about the products we were building as well as meet new people that have turned into great friendships.
Pros
family like environment
Cons
no job security
Great wages, steady work. good care
Weapons assembly technician (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 15, 2015
Great place to work , excellent benifitsgood hours lots of paid holidays and always willing to make sure we had the right tools for the job
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
can get hectic but still good
Great Group fo fellow employees
Material Technician (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 26, 2015
Busy and sometimes stressful, learned some computer skills, great group of surpervisors that I worked for over 30 years, however through later years GMs drive to be more competitive has led to less training for its employees! Made several good friends over the years!
Pros
Wages, benefits, pension!
Great Work Enviroment
Quick Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 30, 2016
It is a great place to work at. All of the staff is friendly and work together as a team. The management is very easy to talk to and very understanding of medical issues etc. I have never had an issue in 7 years of employment. It is never a dull moment as the venue holds various events such as hockey games, concerts etc. The only downside is the employment is not enough to live on, it is part time/seasonal.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
part time/seasonal
Waiting for contract negotiations
Machine Tool Setter (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 14, 2016
Contract will be a pivotal time at this plant. the people are good to work with, direct supervisors are good to work with. machining lines, assembly lines, none of the jobs i've encountered are overly physical or laborious. too bad management is looking to reduce their costs by contracting out our jobs to the lowest bidder. Eventually they will pull of Canada all together....
Pros
flexible with time off in my department
Cons
supplemental work force employee = temp = second class citizen
great place
team lead (Former Employee) –  west paint oshawa ontJanuary 20, 2016
see what repairs need to be done 1st , prioritize older jobs , delegate work, hand out & check stock reorder stock if needed, check parts list for chassis. check managements requests . , follow up on repair list . hardest part of job is keeping every body happy , most enjoyable part of job is working with every one to get the job done right & keep every one happy, leave area clean & ready for next shift,
Pros
pat on the back for a job well done
Cons
some long days
Good Midnight job with good hours.
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 2, 2016
Days went by fast, so made working there feel quick. The management was fine, you did nothing wrong they did not have a problem with you. Other co-workers are nice to chat with and be around. The job was an all around good job for a temporary full time job.
Pros
Jobs were easy to learn
Cons
Short breaks
Very talented management
Lighting Program Manager Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 17, 2016
Great team to work with and the management was very talented at getting the best from their people. The GM systems are rather complex and sometimes cumbersome but quite effective regarding global communication for a large corporation.
Pros
compationate work place
Its fine as a short term job, but nothing more
BOH Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, OntarioOctober 1, 2015
The place used to be fun to work at, but with its recent spike in popularity, the job is now more tedious and stressful than ever before.
Pros
Food with break, flexible hours
Cons
Long hours, work does not equal pay, stressful
Productive and fun workplace
Maintenance Supervisor / Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 15, 2016
My experience at GM West Paint Shop is fun, always learning new things, working with many different machines and paints, and communicating with many people. Every employee in the WPS are kind, friendly and really great people to work with.
Excellent job for summer student
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 16, 2016
Worked in truck plant for two summers and enjoyed every minute of it. I wish i could have become a full time employee. Wage and benefits package are excellent. The co workers and shifts were very easy to incorporate in to my life.
excellent work force
Car and truck assembly line operator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 16, 2016
Management were available to answer any question about the required duties and co-workers well trained. Training in terms of work place health and safety was excellent.
Pros
excellent salary and benefits
Cons
certain hours of operation
demanding , but paid well
team leader (Former Employee) –  oshawaSeptember 23, 2015
first thing was to check that everyone in my group was at work , if not I would do their job until someone come to cover the job. I would take toque checks and record the results. THE workers in my group were good workers and I would give them extra breaks when I had the chance to show my appreciation. The lower level management were good to work with although we did have to deal with some group leaders that had no idea about the jobs we did.The hardest part of the job was trying to get things fixed properly i.e. hoists .
Pros
good pay
Cons
bad union
Fast Paced
Cashier/ Cook (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The work at the general motors centre is consistent and constant. It is very high paced and easy. The co-worker that you meet there are wonderful whole hearted people that you will have the pleasure to work with. The supervisors are wonderful and very helpful. The fans are very nice and understanding. There is a lot of opportunity to work some very cool events.
Pros
Cool events
Cons
not many hours
Food Service
Server / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 7, 2016
Served food within different departments of the facility, nightly cleanings, and nightly cash deposits.

Most enjoyable part was working during special events and seeing different performers and artist.
The first 25 years flew by. Last 5 were tough
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 19, 2016
mostly good people.Learned about time management. I learned how to work with both hands equally .I enjoyed working with different people, of different backgrounds.
Pros
the people
Cons
physically demanding
Nice place to work.
MCO Design Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 8, 2016
People and managing are so friendly.

I have leaned different way to have a good project management.

This Work provide a lot of knowledge from different people in the organization
productive
General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 1, 2015
work in the morning and in afternoon,past pace environment,punctual,the management are nice and approachable people,the hardest part of the job is working at night shift.I have a friendly co worker
Pros
good benefits
Cons
minimum hours

4.2