GE Transportation

GE Transportation Employee Reviews

They work you until you're numb to it
n/a (Current Employee) –  n/a2 December 2016
The typical work day for an employee is 10-11 hours. If you put in your 8 hours and then leave, you're a "lazy" employee. It's a high-stress environment every day. Managers are very good at committing to unreasonable goals and tasks - especially because all they have to do is commit and not actually follow through with them. There is no work-life balance - no matter what they try to tell you when they hire you on. They do invest a lot of time and money to train employees and teach them all they need to know. To me, this doesn't compensate for all of the other negatives of this company.
Self directed work place
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PA8 September 2016
I enjoyed my job for most of my career. Maintenance on the machines could be a lot better. Management personnel being hired regardless of experience in a manufacturing environment.
Best group of guys I ever worked with. Period
Remanufacture Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO27 April 2016
This reviewer worked as a temp and due to a labor depute was not retained. I was however offered a position later that due to health issues at the time i was not able to take. Management seemed very open to work with me when I had a family emergency arise even though I was just a temp. I loved the work and the guys i worked with were more than willing to help with training of new skills or fine tuning of existing skills, even offering to skip breaks just to help out. If a position becomes available again i would be more than happy to go back.
Didn't had very good work life balance
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bangalore, Karnataka7 August 2016
Didn't had very good work life balance.

I was full time employee of Ge transportation. Joined as Engineer in train control component group . Didn't had nice experience.
Fun Work place, Flexible work hours and new challenges
Engaging environment
Too many meetings though
good pay and benefits
Locomotive assembler (Former Employee) –  Erie, PA17 June 2016
Ge has a reputation for the past 100 years building the best locomotives in the world. The company offers good pay and benefits
Iam very productive and dependable person. I would be a great asset to your Company
Service Technician II (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV28 April 2016
Review our daily work schedule and began the work that has to be done. I work 10 hours shifts and over time if need. I follow all the safety sheets for what ever project we are working on at the time. The most enjoyable time of the day is when we get new contracts for Train parts.
Pros
bonsus
benefits
A great company to work
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bangalore, KA6 January 2016
Fantastic Company to start the career.

There are lot of ways in which one can stood up as a leader in GE Transportation. One can show all their engineering knowledge in GE.
Lot of projects and their experience will give you confidence.
Excellent manager and Team work offers great mindset to work.

Overall it's a great company.
Pros
Learning and Challenges
Cons
Salary
Loved who I worked with very poor management
Lead Management Engineering Planner - PMO Office (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FL8 June 2016
very poor management, harassment that the H.R. dept could not do anything about for 10 years after numerous complaints.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
extremely poor management
Daily challenges, team environment that works together to obtain the same goal and develop a robust product.
Mechanical Design Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Erie, PA13 April 2016
A typical work day consisted of. A brief meeting was held to review the status of the project and tasks and status of each member. If one of the team members had incomplete tasks we would assist them to keep project on track. Your day was not structured and chained to a desk for hours at a time. But very free flowing to travel about the facility, weather it was concept, design, development, to prototype testing production. Every team member was specialized in a function but was not limited to one, cross training and mentoring held a big part of that. Management had very little part of the equation only to review status of the projects and recognize our accomplishments with complementary lunches. I have to say the most demanding part of this position was vendor supplied parts not meeting our demand dates to fulfill our testing and production dates. To sum up the position held, project was very challenging with a demanding schedule, but with the team I was involved with it was very enjoyable.
Pros
Team environment that worked together and complemented each other, that made it a pleasure to be part of a project.
Cons
Contract Ended
Productive and fun place to work
SAS SQL Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL17 February 2016
Productive and fun place to work. Not much of learning opportunities.
Work life balance is good. Management is supportive.
Pros
Long term profile
Cons
No learning opportunities
Good Job Culture
Train Control Engineer. The Responsibilities (Current Employee) –  Whitefield, KA22 December 2015
GE have a good Working Environment,they Acknowledges Innovation and Supports you. Team Culture is good in GE and have Average Work Life Balance.
Pros
Good Environment for Working
Cons
Learning Opportunities are less
Excellent
IM Program Manager Business Solutions (Current Employee) –  Erie, PA26 October 2015
Wonderful place to work with great people and competitive salary. Expect long hours with lots of reward. A wonderful, rewarding, and relaxed atmosphere with high expectations but little worries about non-work related stressors. Excellent work from home policy.
Relaxed Corporate Environment
Tier 1 Software Applications Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA31 March 2016
GE Transportation holds value in diversity, teamwork, efficiency, timeliness, and productivity. As this is my first career opportunity, I have proven to fit well within GE's standards.
Good company
Materials Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL5 May 2016
Good work life balance. Great family based company that takes care of their employees.Was a pleasure working at this company.
it was good while it lasted
Welder (Former Employee) –  Erie, PA1 September 2016
i gave my job everything i had, and I was still laid off. Not much else to say. this company only cares about its CEOs and forgets about the employees that made it what it is today
shipping/receiving
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PA10 July 2016
the staff was great to work with, the employees were very helpful in teaching
I learned a lot about locomotives
manager was wonderful, very knowledgeable

most enjoyable was the people I worked with
Fast paced, metric driven atmosphere
Supplier Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Erie, PA22 November 2015
This is a large company but individuals have high visibility and ownership. Work life balance is pretty good but can depend on the manager. It's important to be able to be able to sell your opinion because every organization is very metric driven and they do not always line up with each other. There is a lot of potential for moving around the company and work in various teams. If yo do well at your job you will be rewarded and move up through the ranks.
Not a boring minute
LEAD SVCP ENGINEERING (Former Employee) –  Erie, PA8 August 2012
Typical day of an SVCP Engineer is to conduct cost cutting projects in all major assembly buildings. The best part of the job is interacting with the professional assemblers in all sections. These are dedicated to their job and know their stuff well. Managers are smart people that recognize good work and praise accordingly. I didn't notice the scheming and corporate cut-throat maneuvering that I have witnessed at other sites. The technical openness is definitively GETS key to the innovation that occurs at Erie, as well as the scope and depth of the expertise that is cultivated there.
Pros
respectful work athmosphere
Cons
lake effect snow
cool job
Electro Mechanical Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX14 June 2016
challenging function to be a part of but you will learn a lot. managers set a fast pace and expect stretch goals to be met on time