GE Transportation

GE Transportation Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Part of my appprentice experience working at GE
Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee), Erie, PAFebruary 7, 2014
Well as of February 15, 2013 I was let go from GE. for no rhyme nor reason. When I did work at GE and on my resume it does explain my past history and all the improvements, and any coast savings that were done, some improvements to the production line, my resume will show all that was done and my experience with GE.
-Every day that I did worked my wheels in my head would be turning saying what can I do to help improve productivity and coast savings, then I would come up with an idea, take my idea and go forward with it, with the help of others.
-Learned, try to take good advices when it is given to you.
-Co-workers, I was in the apprentice program, because of my age and being the oldest I felt like a lot of my co-works didn't want to be associated with me a lot of times, with this happing it did make me sad inside but I moved on and became a stronger person, So eventually I moved on and just worked with a lot of upper management and hourly workers, I did learn a lot from them and that did work out.
-The hardest part of the job, was when you felt your own boss wouldn't support you, knowing that I was going to be outside looking in he knew about it didn't make an effort to help me with a permanent position at GE, I felt if you weren't in his apprentice click then you were a nobody, tell this day I am still try to figure it out and wonder what the heck did I do wrong why was I let go from GE.
-Enjoyable part of the job, working with a team to design and improve a product for GE and after conducting numerous test, when the product was heading for the finish line your heart starts – more... pounding knowing in your heart that the finished product will be heading out the door and on the road successfully. I felt that after all the hard work, the team did accomplish a goal. – less
Stuck in the past
Lead Test Engineer (Current Employee), Erie, PAMay 15, 2013
Pros: large company, room to move around
Cons: healthcare is poor, people unwilling to change
My experience with GE Transportation has been less than pleasant. I was hired because of my past experiences with other companies that build/test engines, an agent of change if you will. I quickly learned that there is NO desire by the vast majority of employees in Erie to change. Departments / groups are very segregated (in silos if you will) with very little if any cross function with anyone on the "outside" unless there is "something in it for me". GE even has "inclusiveness" training for their employees where they teach you how to "persuade" your fellow workers to work with you (treat them like they are your kids, make it look like it is their idea, make it look like you are the fool so that they look like they are showing you how to do your job etc.).
Management wants change, yet they pass on the "low hanging fruit" for one reason or another. Overly reactive to the market, changes focus too frequently. Projects NEVER has room for slip (Have to hit a home run EVERY SINGLE TIME).
funplace
Java architect (Current Employee), PAAugust 21, 2015
GE Transportation Evolution Series Tier 4 Engine to meets the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) stringent Tier 4 emission standards without the use of any type of after treatment, Tier 4 Locomotive will be the first mainline locomotive on the market to meet the standards.
To manage the incidents occurred in tier 4 locos on different time frame with different rates, have implemented the application with CAMEL/Fuse technology to process the high volume data that is captured in different mode. The incidents directly download from the locos when it reaches the shop for the regular maintenance and other mechanism is, receive the incidents thru online using installed modem. Online incidents are different rates as per the type of the incidents, and direct downloads are different volumes. All these incidents will reaches to GE network in the form of messages, to handle these kind of bulk message data processing used camel/Fuse and Active MQ as the technology stack and implemented the solution. As a final step all these processed details shall be used by the EOA system to show case as faults and corresponding Rx for those incidents.
The safety of the work place
Mechanic Technician (Former Employee), Riverside missouriNovember 18, 2013
Pros: the pay was great, the workers were really enjoyable.
Cons: the mass lay offs
I will say the job was always safty first every morning I would go into work every morning and we would have our morning warm up streechs then we would be told of the daily tasks that needed to be done. I would go to my work station get the gear case's underway. I learned alot about the inner working of the big locmotives that I was working on. Management,I would say they would do a decent job, some of them did not how to do half of the jobs that they were trying to teach some of the workers about. I like all of my coworkers I never really had any problem with anyone within the factory.
The hardest part of the job, there were times I was working a job that requires atleast two to three personal, at the same time by myself.
The best part has to be waking up early working hard and going home with new knowledge of the job and knowing that I worked really hard the job.
The worst management on the planet
Project Management (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLApril 14, 2014
Pros: it looks good on your resume
Cons: it will make you want to stab your eyes
First of all the management is TERRIBLE. Their managers don't support their employees, instead it's all about impressing the person above them. The people have poor work ethic. There's no work-life balance and the company seems to hates women. It's almost all men and the few women get comments questioning why they are there instead of raising their children. I'll tell you why: I'm a single mom and had no choice but to work there. They never have enough people to get the job done. At GE, less is more. You aren't a person you're a 9 digit number.
Not a boring minute
LEAD SVCP ENGINEERING (Former Employee), Erie, PAAugust 8, 2012
Pros: respectful work athmosphere
Cons: lake effect snow
Typical day of an SVCP Engineer is to conduct cost cutting projects in all major assembly buildings. The best part of the job is interacting with the professional assemblers in all sections. These are dedicated to their job and know their stuff well. Managers are smart people that recognize good work and praise accordingly. I didn't notice the scheming and corporate cut-throat maneuvering that I have witnessed at other sites. The technical openness is definitively GETS key to the innovation that occurs at Erie, as well as the scope and depth of the expertise that is cultivated there.
Fast paced environment with high visibility opportunities
Program Leader (Current Employee), Erie, PAJune 30, 2015
Pros: Supportive affinity networks, high visibility projects
Cons: Outdated processes; change management
Work with a cross-functional team from commercial, engineering and manufacturing to ensure the supply chain is in place to meet both our customer and internal commitments. Working in matrix organization I've learned that focused communication is key to being effective and influential. Management typically uses a hands off approach giving employees formulate strategies to meet business goals. One of the biggest challenges is navigating thru legacy processes that aren't conducive to operating such a fast pace environment.
Good salary poor benefits poor management
Lead Engineering Planner Management (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLApril 7, 2015
Pros: good work with the poor
Cons: poor management
it's all about the stockholders, their image to the public
poor to little training
some managers are really trying hard some are all about a power trip
others won't speak up and say anything to protect their employees
complaints in H.R. filed, nothing done in 10 years, all about protecting their managers, they don't care and don't want to hear about it. Move onto the next churn and burn employee. Some managers are good and the employees stay. Can't speak for those though. Didn't have one of those, unfortunately! Lot's of turn over in the planning area though.
Workplace with fascinating projects
Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee), Lynn, MAOctober 26, 2014
Pros: aviation company
Cons: only a contract position
The main project of this contract position was to upgrade the main fuel pump and after-burner system of the J85 Turbo Engine.
Typical day was re-design and testing different prototypes. Some calculations verified strength and stress of the new parts still could meet the specifications or meet higher specifications.
I learned from applying, installing the actual systems, making changes and advancing the system. All these actions were informative to me.
Management was friendly and professional.
The same with co-workers.
The job culture was professional.
Fast paced, metric driven atmosphere
Supplier Quality Engineer (Current Employee), Erie, PANovember 22, 2015
This is a large company but individuals have high visibility and ownership. Work life balance is pretty good but can depend on the manager. It's important to be able to be able to sell your opinion because every organization is very metric driven and they do not always line up with each other. There is a lot of potential for moving around the company and work in various teams. If yo do well at your job you will be rewarded and move up through the ranks.
A fast paced position that allows you to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met and visit locomotive repair facilities.
Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 17, 2014
Pros: work with locomotives, smart and professional people, no micromanagement
Cons: there are times of high stress and we routinely work long hours
The position I have is a challenging position. One in which you get to be involved in every aspect of the business from the operations side to the finance side. Working with the operations teams and the multiple repair facilities that we have is the best part of the job. The team is great and everyone is very good at their jobs and extremely intelligent.
GE Transportion is a fun place to work for
Transportation Technician (Current Employee), Tiffany Springs, MOApril 21, 2014
A typical day at work is a good day for me a work.I learned how to be safe at work because I work around a lot of danger equipment like over head crane that we use to move train motors I think that my co worker are the bomb they are very good co worker.The hardest part of my job is getting bye the morning hours sometime been at work 2 in the morning is kinda rough at times the most enjoyable part of the job is getting of hitting the clock and going home tried
very relaxed work place, very nice people
tech III (Former Employee), Warrensburg, MOSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: lots of cook outs
Cons: none that come to mind right now
read prints understand the whole rack to every component level, my manager was the best, i really wish there was one of him at every job. Co workers were good except always in everyones business, hardest part of job was learning relay logic but had it down by the second day, most enjoyable part was new projects
Very hated
Traction Motor Remanufacturing Technician (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 28, 2015
Pros: interesting work
Cons: worst management ever experienced
Many employees hated this place, it was a fun job, very interesting and very different. However employee treatment was extremely poor from management, night shift management didn't do anything for anyone until they were talked to from day shift management. Lack of care. A contracted/temporary position, all were promised to be hired on until they brought on a new upper management personnel and ended up leading all temps into false hope.
Great pay and work enviroment with great benefits
Fitter/Welder (Current Employee), Erie, PADecember 9, 2013
Pros: clean working enviroment
Cons: communication between management and workers could improve.
Great place to work! I`ve been there for a little over 2 years and love it. Lack of work is the reason why I`m loosing my job. I work 2nd shift and loved it. The guys I worked with were awesome and fun to work with. They made the nights go by fast. we could lesson to music while we worked and made it fun.
Driving Tankers
CDL Truck Driver of tankers (Current Employee), Reno, NVJuly 23, 2013
Pros: freedom on the road.
Cons: no benefits.
Check all your equipment making sure it's safe.Then driving mostly in nevada to different mines with cement. And I learned how to use a pneumatic system while never driving tankers before. Dispatch supervisor is good. Never worked with co-workers. Hardest part was no schedule. Best part learning new things.
It is a good job that is very stressful and challenging.
Technical Director (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 12, 2015
I work a 12 hr shift that usually 13 or more on a 4 day work week. I receive maintenance passdowns from the outgoing shift and conduct at least 2 meetings with Union Pacific Supervisors and trade personnel about the repair at hand in the facility. I work at the trades level applying technical direction as required.
Poor Morale and Declining Incentives
Manager (Current Employee), PennsylvaniaOctober 28, 2012
Pros: no pros
Cons: too many to list
Benefits get reduced each year, no incentive compensation, poor work-life balance, limited career growth and zero recognition for performance. Most new hires quit within 1-2 years, finding far better work environments, productive cultures and better total compensation elsewhere. Long-term staff stay for convenience but tend to be disengaged.
Good people to work with
Signal Engineering Coop/Intern (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLOctober 23, 2014
Pros: great work/life balance, stable job
Cons: must change companies to get a significant raise
The group of people were excellent and promoted a family atmosphere. They were quick to approve time off when necessary. The job could get a bit tedious and monotonous, but every so often a change would come through that would present a new challenge.
Very professional workplace, great way to get your foot in the door
Pricing Intern (Current Employee), Erie, PAMay 29, 2014
Pros: great experience, networking, good money
Cons: very little time for vacation before going back to school
Working with GE is a great opportunity. It allows for interaction with professionals. The team I work with now is very helpful and I have learned a lot about the pricing and business side of GE Transportation.
Revenue