G4S Employee Reviews in Canada

Good experience
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Aurora/NewmarketApril 5, 2015
I had a great time working for G4S. A typical day would include arriving on site, getting assigned a location to patrol or watch and insuring the safety of employees and others on site.
good placements but hours and worker satisfaction
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONMarch 19, 2015
inconsistant hours. shift can be sporadic placements can and will change. new workers are treated unfairly in comparison to long tenured staff.
Pros
good placement
Cons
poor scheduling
High Turnover
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 18, 2015
Extremely high turnover for mid-level management jobs, which leads to a low experience base.

Upper-level managers appear to be unaware of what is actually happening on the floor with the staff members and performance issues. Many double standards regarding enforcing safety procedures when they are not being followed.
Pros
some benefits
Cons
mediocre management
good
security guard (Former Employee) –  multiple locationsMarch 16, 2015
good company had to leave for personal reasons. Worked with the company for 4 months. not very good in managing. good co-workers
The Company is not Honest
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  MississuagaMarch 12, 2015
Was not happy with the wage of 11.00 an hour and I wanted to build more complex skills and learn more. Not professional very unorganized and confusing. Not good communication with supervisors and scheduler.
Pros
work responsibility
Cons
wage
Productive Workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ONMarch 6, 2015
Good experience for security work. A typical day would be to inspect shipments and make sure the paperwork matches what the shipment is. Also ensure that nothing leaves the site that isn't supposed to. Ensuring safety at the site is very important.
productive workplace wit comitted staff who help build your future
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONMarch 6, 2015
working for G4S Security Solutions has provided me with many skills and training for my future. The management team is very supportive and are always available to listen to the staff. the hardest part of my job is dealing with traumatic situations. I am able to professionally respond to situations but sometimes situations are emotionally effective towards the team. I enjoy working with this company because of the development it has on my future and goals
benefits
Long travel
Assistant Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort MacMarch 4, 2015
long travel to and from site, worked tired quiet often. area managers not always willing to listen to their staff. Over taxed their employees, without any consideration of their feelings
Site was decent, people were friendly.
Security Guard, Concierge (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 3, 2015
No flexibility for employees. My CSM was terrible at replying to emails. Couldn't work weekends after 3 month probationary period, was basically given an ultimatum to quit or continue working the swing shift.
Great company
Security guard (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONFebruary 26, 2015
The company makes every effort to accommodate the individual guard's requests for time off or shift. The site I working has a good group of people.
Not a great company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary,AbFebruary 25, 2015
Very poor compensation overall. Bad management. Does not pay overtime.Location was in Calgary, Alberta. Overall not a good company to work for. Unsteady work.
Cons
poor health benefits, no raises, no room for advancement
horrorible place nver recommend
Concierge (Former Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 20, 2015
very baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
never ever give a good word horrible working conditions never safe anywhere your posted very very bad yuck phewy
Pros
not good
Cons
very bad
Good people that work hard but need focus
Regional Recruiter - GTA West (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioFebruary 19, 2015
G4S has been a pleasure to work for the past 5 years. I have been granted several opportunities to be promoted from a Mobile Supervisor, to Scheduler, to Scheduling Supervisor all the way up to a Regional Recruiter.

I enjoy coming to work everyday and working with such great people. From the Executive level all the way down to the front line staff, the majority of people really are trying to do their best.

The hardest part of working for G4S is the lack of focus and direction that a large organization needs to keep the machine rolling. It feels like we are just stampeding through one challenge or another without really taking the time or making the effort to understand why we don't have better control or infrastructure to handle these situations. G4S also seems to be very reactionary to the challenges of the market, whether its technology, employee culture or competition It seems like we are always playing catch up with our competitors and the needs of the security industry.

Overall, its a good company to work for. It just seems like it really needs to knuckle down and get to the heart of what makes a good company great!
Pros
flexibility, good people, employee growth
Cons
lack of vision, bureaucracy, reactionary
relaxed environment
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ONFebruary 9, 2015
doesn't pay very well and is too relaxed. the drive is approximately 80 km to the job site on a dirt road. the hours are about 14-15 per day because of the travel.
Customers/Clients are great
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2015
It's OK overall. The clients/customers are mostly good to work with/for. Customer Service skills are a must at G4S if you plan to succeed. Some situations can be challenging but if you're well rounded overall, it can be a really cool place to work!
Pros
plenty of shifts available
Cons
pays low + almost never ovetime (calculated swing shifts)
Just ordinary environment
Security supervisor (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJanuary 7, 2015
offer incentives for security education . Management is partially cooperative at senior levels. Co-workers mostly undereducated and novice . Hardest part is to deal with change of schedules. The most enjoyable is the day off.
Pros
pay fee etc for certification
Cons
usual hour work
Global security company, what can you expect?
Security Guard/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJanuary 5, 2015
G4S is just another global security company. They treat thier staff like any other. It was a decent workplace, that offered reasonable benefits. It's a stepping stone or retirement job, so don't expect to use it as a career.
Fun with a professional environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJanuary 4, 2015
A friendly environment on the workplace is really motivate and energized me. This job build up a very important job skill that is how to be a detail oriented. The management, co-workers are helpful but the only drawback is less career advancement opportunities even management, clients would love your job.
Dynamic work environment that involved attention to detail
Security Guard/ Systems Monitor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 1, 2014
Working for this company for the past five years, I've encountered and witnessed many things that I never thought I would have seen on the job. Working for this company has also given me the oppertunity to proive my work ethic in an unsupervised environment where I am left alone in an entire downtown building for six hours of the night.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am trusted with many responsibilities throughout my shift, and at the end of each night, it is gratifying to know that I have kept the building and its contents safe and secure at all times.
Pros
easy, comfortable
Cons
can be boring at times
productive
Assistant Manager, A17 PACAF Transportation (Former Employee) –  diego garcia british indian teritoryNovember 29, 2014
my review working for 12 yrs in the company is not so good.
im may typical day at work its fine,most of the time we have a rush jobs.
about the management theres a lot jobs but we have shortage in manpower, my co workers are very good team mates.
the hardest part of may job is that we awork so hard for every job they gave to us but we this the salary is not enough.
my twelve years working in my previous company i enjoy my job bacause i learn alot and i gain more friends
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hrs