G4S Employee Reviews

long
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON25 May 2016
i like the customer service aspect of the job, talking with clients makes the day go much quicker. I wish all locations were like this.
Pros
?
High Turnover
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC18 March 2015
Extremely high turnover for mid-level management jobs, which leads to a low experience base.

Upper-level managers appear to be unaware of what is actually happening on the floor with the staff members and performance issues. Many double standards regarding enforcing safety procedures when they are not being followed.
Pros
Some benefits
Cons
Mediocre management
Very Enjoyable leaving me feeling productive.
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB29 March 2016
There was always something to do and if I was done my work then I would usually ask for more. The day would start off at 6 a.m for 12 hour days and night shift was the same. A typical day was busy needing to organize and process over 100 temporary employees for their orientation. After that it was programming the person employee access cards and vehicle passes for the chip gates and doors. I was always in a two person team for the entire shift but also was alone near the end of the contract. I got along well with everyone. I very much enjoyed that job.
Need to re-invent themselves
SERVICE DELIVERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 June 2016
Very little to no support for management team in Kelowna. Poor accounting process. Staff seldom if ever paid correctly, lead to bitter staff.
Pros
non
Cons
countless
Time at G4S
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
I was never properly trained and the management was not very understanding about my school. Had to leave my position because I could not manage work and school.
Wouldnt recomend it
security guard (Former Employee) –  northern ontario20 August 2015
low pay...bad administration and you have no chance of advancement.They don't care about Northern Ontario. there will never be raises.
Productive with fun
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2015
A typical Day starts and ends easily. Learnt team work, Data entry, Customer Service. Management was good but less attentive. Co-workers were great, good team. Night shift was the only hard thing. Some nights you do nothing and just enjoy.
Pros
Preferred Hours
Cons
Less Benefits
productive and fun place to work
Control Room Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 June 2016
excellent way to learn and value the meaning of customer service
constantly keeping busy and learning the value of managing time and providing efficient customer service effectively
Not a great company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary,Ab25 February 2015
Very poor compensation overall. Bad management. Does not pay overtime.Location was in Calgary, Alberta. Overall not a good company to work for. Unsteady work.
Cons
Poor health benefits, no raises, no room for advancement
Global security company, what can you expect?
Security Guard/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 January 2015
G4S is just another global security company. They treat thier staff like any other. It was a decent workplace, that offered reasonable benefits. It's a stepping stone or retirement job, so don't expect to use it as a career.
Meh.
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Hamilton24 May 2015
The job itself is the same as any other security company, except now your paid $11.50 with a union and other benefits (foot care).
Cons
Fun people to work with exciting environments, low paying, no career building opportunities.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed the places I would work and the people I would work with and encounter. The pay was very low and didn't not increase for lengthy periods of time. I did enjoy working with the company for most reasons other than financial.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Low Pay Rate
Not Bad
Armed Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 July 2015
Gardaworld was good while it lasted until they wanted to cut benefits and pension. Not very good to employees. Just a number.
Pros
Good job
Cons
overnights
Its a Jobs
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 February 2014
Scheduling is messed up, they schedule people with out telling them, Benefits aren't the best,
I work nights, I check the bags for items that are package in the warehouse and I keep the logs up to date, I patrol the building 1 to 2 times a night, I work by myself at the front desk and watch cameras.
Pros
Easy, Layback
Team work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario29 October 2014
I learn to deal with different cultures
My co-workers were great
Lots of over time
Pros
flexable schedules
Cons
lack of pay raises
An active workplace, with a lot of operations to keep occupied
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2016
-I learned how to be the best professional security guard I can possibly be, no matter what conflict of interest there is portrayed onto me personally, and never to let it interfere with work performance

-The coworkers are nice people, if you know how to communicate and adapt to differential norms and put it to your advantage ( in a good way)

- The most enjoyable part of a day at work, would be the interactions with people from all around the world and working with law enforcement from various backgrounds
Pros
Cons
Anything
Worked for G 4 S since Nov ; 24 / 09
Patrol Guard & Parking Enforcement (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON3 February 2016
Patrols of 2 condominiums common areas from all floors & garage levels . Also , parking enforcement visitor parking lots .
And by permission from the owners parking spot to ticket unauthorized vehicles .
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Work long hours week ends 12 hour shifts
Great people, at the work site
Full- Time Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 May 2016
They don't need you anymore if you become pregnant. Very unhappy with their union reps too that take sides of the company and do not listen to yours
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Timmins, ON20 March 2016
the job is great to work for, you are always learning new things depending on where you are, some of the co-workers are ok depending on where you are, the hardest part of the job would be when the people that are working with you don't work together as a team, the most enjoyable part of the job is when you work together as a team.
Honest Review of G4S Secure Solutions Inc.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON23 July 2015
I can understand this being a frustrating career for those who have responsibilities in life such as rent, bills, children, etc. but could be great for students in school or those who live at home with family. While I was fortunate enough to have a permanent full-time post upon hire I can see it being a problem for those who aren't given that opportunity. A lot of people start part-time and as a casual on-call person until an opportunity for full-time comes up. I guess I was in the right place at the right time. Seniority seems to be respected at the post position you are given but you could be replaced by someone who held the position before you and had remained within the company.

There can be dry periods at times at the Sudbury location in terms of extra hours but should you prove yourself a reliable go-to-person when there is opportunities to grab extra shifts you can make decent money. Although, you will sacrifice having days off for sometimes up-to 2 weeks straight. You can expect short changes from going to days to nights (or vice versa) within 6-12 hours in-between for sleep. Even double shifts that can go up to 12-15 hours should you chose to accept them. The best practice is not to say "no" often when these chances come up or you could lose work ethic respect from management. Your work locations can be all over town and sometimes even out of town should a contract come up for that (with rental/company vehicle, gas, lodge and travel expenses paid).

There isn't much opportunity for advancement unless you have good qualifications that they are looking for. Ideally
  more... with police foundations or actual police experience, management experience, all company training, and so forth.The more you learn and have under your belt in relation to this field the better. All other guards can expect opportunities for overtime or a variety of different work sites to work in.

Management can be at times disorganized but it does look like they are doing what they can for a team of 3 at the branch office. There is definitely room for improvement here. However, my experience with site supervisors was more positive and I've never had issues with any of them as of this writing. Very approachable and seemed to be trained well.

I was not on salary and was paid by the hour. Regular guards can expect to earn between $11-12/hr for fixed permanent locations. You can earn more doing the various contracts that come up which could last sometimes for days, weeks or months. Each one pays differently where you can get earn anywhere from $13-$18 or even close to $30 depending on your qualifications. There is benefits for this job after 3 months of employment.

It helps to own a vehicle with this job and have your full licence. Although, it's not necessarily required if you don't have these or are working towards them.

Overall, I can't actually decide whether to recommend this job or not to anyone that's interested. I can tell you that for smaller towns there is less competition in terms of multiple people aiming towards the same positions within the company. Bigger cities have bigger work forces. This can be a frustrating career for those with life responsibilities but a great experience for those interested in this field or looking to get into the police force.
Pros
Co-workers, overtime, full-time opportunities
Cons
Overtime can affect sleep patterns and time off days, branch organization, little room for advancement without qualifications