G4S Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast paced quick changing environment
Director of Security Operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 23, 2015
Being in the service industry, there are no "typical" days at the office. Having been promoted 3 times in 9 years, I had the benefit of learning quite a bit about cost control, labour relations and saturated markets.
Not Bad
Armed Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 18, 2015
Gardaworld was good while it lasted until they wanted to cut benefits and pension. Not very good to employees. Just a number.
Pros
Good job
Cons
overnights
good company but not enough work
Front Desk, Control Room, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  imperial oilJune 2, 2015
good company but not enough work
good people that really consider the needs of the quards as well as of course the clients.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not enough work
Dynamic work environment that involved attention to detail
Security Guard/ Systems Monitor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 1, 2014
Working for this company for the past five years, I've encountered and witnessed many things that I never thought I would have seen on the job. Working for this company has also given me the oppertunity to proive my work ethic in an unsupervised environment where I am left alone in an entire downtown building for six hours of the night.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am trusted with many responsibilities throughout my shift, and at the end of each night, it is gratifying to know that I have kept the building and its contents safe and secure at all times.
Pros
easy, comfortable
Cons
can be boring at times
productive
Assistant Manager, A17 PACAF Transportation (Former Employee) –  diego garcia british indian teritoryNovember 29, 2014
my review working for 12 yrs in the company is not so good.
im may typical day at work its fine,most of the time we have a rush jobs.
about the management theres a lot jobs but we have shortage in manpower, my co workers are very good team mates.
the hardest part of may job is that we awork so hard for every job they gave to us but we this the salary is not enough.
my twelve years working in my previous company i enjoy my job bacause i learn alot and i gain more friends
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hrs
Hard work, sometimes goes unrecognized
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 25, 2014
Solid company, decent reputation, sadly heavily focuses on client concerns, which quite often, creates various issues within the Management structure. Sadly lacks a team atmosphere amongst the management team and not enough focus on correcting these issues.

Needs to act upon management concerns and develop a plan to improve a positive team atmosphere.
Pros
flexible hours, freedom to travel and not confined in the office
Cons
long hours, on call 24/7
Customers/Clients are great
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 13, 2015
It's OK overall. The clients/customers are mostly good to work with/for. Customer Service skills are a must at G4S if you plan to succeed. Some situations can be challenging but if you're well rounded overall, it can be a really cool place to work!
Pros
plenty of shifts available
Cons
pays low + almost never ovetime (calculated swing shifts)
Good experience
Financial Consultant (contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 14, 2015
New experience in the security industry, met new people, who I enjoyed working with. However, the contract was too short and the pay rate very low.
Pros
close to home
Cons
Good way to get your foot in the door through specific experience
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 27, 2015
A typical day at G4S security is dependent on the site you've been assigned. Much of my work with G4S has been at a hospital doing patient watch, where I am responsible for the safety of the patient and the public surrounding that patient. Much of the time I am considered to be a babysitter, but there are times where I am called upon to deescalate a certain situation by using strong communication skills, or calling in more security personnel.
As of late I have been working at UOIT/Duhram college where I am responsible for campus patrol, and access to specific classrooms and offices. I have also worked on the main security desk where my responsibilities include managing access control, receiving incoming radio calls, and managing alarms. Co-workers are great, and it is a fun environment to work in, however this is not a spot for someone looking for something bigger. It is a great spot to gain needed experience in a law enforcement field.
Pros
Many sites offering different experiences
Cons
Long hours, but not always guarenteed them when needed.
Fun with a professional environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJanuary 4, 2015
A friendly environment on the workplace is really motivate and energized me. This job build up a very important job skill that is how to be a detail oriented. The management, co-workers are helpful but the only drawback is less career advancement opportunities even management, clients would love your job.
Productive Workplace
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ONMarch 6, 2015
Good experience for security work. A typical day would be to inspect shipments and make sure the paperwork matches what the shipment is. Also ensure that nothing leaves the site that isn't supposed to. Ensuring safety at the site is very important.
The Company is not Honest
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  MississuagaMarch 12, 2015
Was not happy with the wage of 11.00 an hour and I wanted to build more complex skills and learn more. Not professional very unorganized and confusing. Not good communication with supervisors and scheduler.
Pros
work responsibility
Cons
wage
GOOD
Security site supervisor EMP# 107135 (Former Employee) –  TORONTOMay 27, 2015
IF YOU ARE STUDENT THIS JOB WILL BE FIT FOR YOU BECAUSE THEY HAVE VARITY OF SCHDULE WHICH MAY LET TO FOCUS ON YOU STUDY AND ENHANCE YOUR CARREER
The Job is great but the pay and managment can use some work
Regional Trainer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2014
Work days can be long
the uppermanagment needs a lot of work and need to see whats going on when it come to the front line workers
my co -workers are great
The hardest part of the job is I am the only trainer in eastern Ontario and also responsible for the training in four other branches.
i enjoy interacting with the students and clients
Pros
overtime
Cons
unorganized
Site was decent, people were friendly.
Security Guard, Concierge (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 3, 2015
No flexibility for employees. My CSM was terrible at replying to emails. Couldn't work weekends after 3 month probationary period, was basically given an ultimatum to quit or continue working the swing shift.
Great places to work!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONApril 23, 2015
I loved being a guard, was one for 5 years and I would go back in a heart beat it if I was able to get a full time gig somewhere. working as a team was great! and working solo was even better!
good placements but hours and worker satisfaction
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONMarch 19, 2015
inconsistant hours. shift can be sporadic placements can and will change. new workers are treated unfairly in comparison to long tenured staff.
Pros
good placement
Cons
poor scheduling
Just ordinary environment
Security supervisor (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJanuary 7, 2015
offer incentives for security education . Management is partially cooperative at senior levels. Co-workers mostly undereducated and novice . Hardest part is to deal with change of schedules. The most enjoyable is the day off.
Pros
pay fee etc for certification
Cons
usual hour work
Worst Company I Have Ever Worked For
Parking Authority Complaince Officer (Former Employee) –  WinnipegAugust 12, 2014
A large portion of the management at this company acted far below any reasonable expectation. I feel like they treated us as if we were sub human; far beneath them.

I was constantly missing pay, and it took many months, and the labour board getting involved to finally resolve. Shameful.

The work, my coworkers, or direct managers I cannot complain about.
Pros
the work can be enjoyable
Cons
company treats you like an animal
Professional
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 12, 2014
I was only working as a casual because I was on the waiting list to be sent to the oil fields by G4S, so I wasn't getting that many hours for that reason. I also had to leave once I was admitted to School. But I must say that Management were very friendly, caring, understanding and easy to deal with.
G4S are very professional and provide their employees every information they need for the job type.