G4S Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun with a professional environment
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJanuary 4, 2015
A friendly environment on the workplace is really motivate and energized me. This job build up a very important job skill that is how to be a detail oriented. The management, co-workers are helpful but the only drawback is less career advancement opportunities even management, clients would love your job.
Excellent Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Christina Lake, ABJuly 5, 2015
Enjoyed the time in camp as a security guard. The atmosphere was comfortable and the quarters were nice. With a gym and good food and a 2 week on 2 week off schedule, it was great. Strong support from management made my senior guard position a good one.
Was fired for refusing unsafe work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 15, 2014
The first thing they tell you in training is that if you ever feel unsafe in your workplace then tell your supervisor and refuse the work. I did just that and got let go, replaced by a new Canadian that wouldn't speak up and doesn't know the labour laws protecting him. This company is untrustworthy and the training is bare-minimum enough to cover their insurance and their bottoms in court.
Pros
nice pay in the oilfields
Cons
long hours, little time at home, treated like dirt by the management
Good - But Advancement Opportunities Limited
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
The Job at G4S was great. I have learnt various useful skills such as being vigilant, and identifying any theft, as well as steps we can take to massively prevent them, including cc cameras, on site vigilance, as well as communicating with fellow officers to maintain and ensure the safety of people and product.

My most enjoyable part of the job was in training others as I have trained over 20+ security officers and helped coach them be confident in their roles.

Although I love the job and am giving it my all, I would like to switch to a Financial Representative role for the better pay, and more importantly for the opportunity to advance further, and the opportunity to utilize my certifications and degree in Finance and Investment.
Global security company, what can you expect?
Security Guard/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJanuary 5, 2015
G4S is just another global security company. They treat thier staff like any other. It was a decent workplace, that offered reasonable benefits. It's a stepping stone or retirement job, so don't expect to use it as a career.
Team work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioOctober 29, 2014
I learn to deal with different cultures
My co-workers were great
Lots of over time
Pros
flexable schedules
Cons
lack of pay raises
Great place to work at that understood work life balance
Security Personnel (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 21, 2015
I was working here for 4 years in which time they always placed me in places I could be of most use. I was challenged intellectually and physically to ensure the safety of the location. They accommodated my needs to work daily wether it was in the daytime or night. I was given the proper training to learn all the key requirements of each location; security camera training, alarm system training etc. Great co-workers that also shared similar passion and journey in life as myself. The hardest part was maintaining a proper sleep schedule when I was working overnight. The best part was the locations I was at, very slow paced and calm.
Stuctured work environment that allows the worker to set their other private and personal schedule easier.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity that was given to the workers to work in various work place in various time frame with different team members and working environments.
Pros
Easy to work
Cons
May face the unseen risk and challanges
Every shift is different
regular guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2015
G4S was a good place to work. Sometimes they have the wrong person in Management, and this causes problems with the staff and Clients.
Not Bad
Armed Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 18, 2015
Gardaworld was good while it lasted until they wanted to cut benefits and pension. Not very good to employees. Just a number.
Pros
Good job
Cons
overnights
The work schedule was perfect and the management were always ready to listen to you
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayMay 25, 2015
Fun place to work, met a lot of people from different places the management was good you could always talk to them about any issues concerning your job at any time. I liked the 14 and 14 rotation because it gave you time to spend with your family
Friendly Staff and Management
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Excellent place to work. The colleagues and staff were very supportive. Starting pay was higher then most security jobs in the area
Worse Company I've Ever Worked For
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ONApril 21, 2015
I have never worked for a more unorganized, non caring lazy company since I've been in security. I was Laid off for no reason of my own lied to on many occasions, and was told by office staff that if site supervisors allow work place harassment then the office will allow it as well.
Pros
N/A
Cons
long hours, low pay, minimal benafits
G4S Malawi
Managing Director (Former Employee) –  BlantyreJune 12, 2013
The third largest business unit of G4S in Africa after Nigeria and Kenya. Also one of three of the oldest business units within Africa. This company was 42 years old when I arrived. For years it was the only international security company in the country. The people of Malawi is hunger to be lead by strong leadership and development of the individual. I had the honor to send two of my senior managers on development courses in SA. At the end they both received their degrees through UNISA. The culture in Malawi is very conservative yet Malawians are a very pleasant and outgoing nation. The country has been going through some changes (internationally) and the public was suffering due to fuel and forex shortages. This also impacted negatively onto the business and new products could not be imported to assist the market growth as aggressively as was planned. The unions in Malawi is weak in general yet the union that dealt with the company had very good relations with a union in the United States. Through the union in the USA they targeted G4S in Malawi. The management team in Malawi eventually managed to settle the matter amicably. The most enjoyable part of Malawi is definitely Lake Malawi.
Pros
free housing, free security, free domestic worker
Average security company with horrible impatient people working the phone
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto,OnSeptember 2, 2015
The job placements were okay and decently flexible but whenever there was a mess up or inconvenience the people working the phones for clock-in/clock-out were extremely rude.
Good experience
Financial Consultant (contract) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 14, 2015
New experience in the security industry, met new people, who I enjoyed working with. However, the contract was too short and the pay rate very low.
Pros
close to home
G4S Security-over all good
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
The days are 12 hour days. Duties include: report writing, physical restraints on mental health patients, scheduling for security team, supervising seven other people, key/access control, high risk guard on mental health floor and delegation.

I learned how to properly manage a big team and how to work together with nursing staff on site. My co-workers are the favorite part of my job. they are dependable and I have assisted in molding them to what they are today.

the hardest part of my job in the lack of proper equipment that is supplied to us. Also, for the job we do, we do not make adequate wages.
Pros
continental shifts
Cons
longs days, poor wage, lack of equipment
Enforced, Coordinated, Team Player
Security/Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 24, 2015
Worked with the general public and analyzed and evaluated situations, and exercised judgment and discretion to make decisions
• Obtained information in an investigative setting and pressure situation
 Checked departing passengers and their luggage with
X-ray machines
Walk-through metal detectors
Hand-held metal detectors
And personal searches
 Provided passengers with following services
* Guided passengers to security procedure
* Directed them to gates, arrival/departure area, taxi and public bus, washrooms, lost and found booth and other related designations * Answered their questions/inquiries and other information
Absolutley the worst company to work for
employee (Former Employee) –  vancouverMay 21, 2014
Poor wages .... actually horrible wages for the scope and responsibility that is put on staff.

I recommend that if you want to work with substandard equipment, archaic business process, be available 24 hours a day, work with emotionally volatile senior managers
and join the wine- o'clock club to secure an advancement.... then apply!

There is a reason the London Olympics was a complete disaster. G4S treats employees as if they are sweatshop workers. Wage skimming, contract fraud and a complete financial disaster of a company. Highly recommend that you NOT apply to work with these guys.
Productive and intersting workplace
Bilingual IRC Operator (Former Employee) –  mississauga, onNovember 13, 2013
My shifts were rotational and were either 11pm to 11am or 11am to 11pm
The position entailed me and my team to answer calls, respond to alarms, and take reports of any and all occurrences/incidents with TD's ATM machines and bank branches across Canada. These reports were then, to be transmitted, via email to suitable departments, and TD bank officials.
I learned to multitask, meet tight deadlines, utilize different software's, work well under pressure, take complaints, and enhanced my customer service skills.
My favorite part of the day were my night shifts as the most interesting calls came in during the night.
The most enjoyable part of my job, was the enviroment and my co workers.
Pros
continuous training, place for advancement, selection of my shifts
Cons
the length of the shifts, and punctuality issues of relieving operators