G4S Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent training
Security Guard (Former Employee), Quinte, ONJune 26, 2015
Training programs were excellent and up-to-date. Emphasis was always on effective communications. Job entailed protecting and ensuring safety of premises, employees, patients and visitors. Regular patrols were completed.
Everyday is a productive day
National Business Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 22, 2015
Work environment is always go go go. G4S clients are all the Canadian banks and they don’t wait. The service provided is maintenance, replenishment and tech support to all their ATMs as well as reporting performance of all aspects of the business internally and to our clients on weekly and monthly basis. Keeping these contracts was contingent to the stability, accuracy and quality of our service, therefore, business continuity pacification was equal or greater importance to the quality of service. Great team building atmosphere and the continuous fast pace and workload prepare you to handle any obstacles you may encounter in your career.
Great place to work at that understood work life balance
Security Personnel (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 21, 2015
I was working here for 4 years in which time they always placed me in places I could be of most use. I was challenged intellectually and physically to ensure the safety of the location. They accommodated my needs to work daily wether it was in the daytime or night. I was given the proper training to learn all the key requirements of each location; security camera training, alarm system training etc. Great co-workers that also shared similar passion and journey in life as myself. The hardest part was maintaining a proper sleep schedule when I was working overnight. The best part was the locations I was at, very slow paced and calm.
No moving forward
Gordon Baker Rd (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 17, 2015
Pros: Lunch
Cons: Supervisors, Management, head office staff, pay rate
A typical day of work is very slow, the co-workers are the best part of it all, supervisors... Not so much.
I learned quite allot working here, manage two way radios, the typical run of the mill site work and mobile. Management also isn't the best,the people who work in the offices rarely pick up your calls and when they do they're usually in a meeting or their voicemails are always full so there is nothing you can do about it, the hardest part of the job is not wanting to quit on the spot, when your desperate for money and the job is the only thing keeping you going, its hard.
And to say the last part of it all... The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers, some I've made friends with, gone out of my way to see them in person and to hang out every now and again. So thats probably the best part of it all.
Good - But Advancement Opportunities Limited
Concierge (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
The Job at G4S was great. I have learnt various useful skills such as being vigilant, and identifying any theft, as well as steps we can take to massively prevent them, including cc cameras, on site vigilance, as well as communicating with fellow officers to maintain and ensure the safety of people and product.

My most enjoyable part of the job was in training others as I have trained over 20+ security officers and helped coach them be confident in their roles.

Although I love the job and am giving it my all, I would like to switch to a Financial Representative role for the better pay, and more importantly for the opportunity to advance further, and the opportunity to utilize my certifications and degree in Finance and Investment.
Already reviewed
Access Control Security Guard (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 10, 2015
Pros: can get good pay
Cons: boring
I have already reviewed this company it is the same as G4S Secure Solutions. It was an okay place to work. You were moved around a lot if you did something that the client didn't like. a lot of which were things that security guards are not required to do. Like delivering final bills to hotel gets and giving each room a newspaper.
good company but not enough work
Front Desk, Control Room, Supervisor (Current Employee), imperial oilJune 2, 2015
Pros: great staff
Cons: not enough work
good company but not enough work
good people that really consider the needs of the quards as well as of course the clients.
Professional work environment
Control Room Administrator (Current Employee), Richmond, BCMay 31, 2015
The work environment is definitely positive and welcoming. The staff is very understanding and helpful. I do not think there is anything difficult with this job as it is pretty straight forward. However it is extremely repetitive which really causes you to become robotic to the job. I understand there is routine related tasks in every and any job however most of the jobs I have worked it has always been a dynamic environment. My co-workers are very understanding, helpful, and mature. Management I think needs a little bit of work, there's always room for improvement but I think they are headed in the right direction.
GOOD
Security site supervisor EMP# 107135 (Former Employee), TORONTOMay 27, 2015
IF YOU ARE STUDENT THIS JOB WILL BE FIT FOR YOU BECAUSE THEY HAVE VARITY OF SCHDULE WHICH MAY LET TO FOCUS ON YOU STUDY AND ENHANCE YOUR CARREER
Good way to get your foot in the door through specific experience
Security Guard (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 27, 2015
Pros: Many sites offering different experiences
Cons: Long hours, but not always guarenteed them when needed.
A typical day at G4S security is dependent on the site you've been assigned. Much of my work with G4S has been at a hospital doing patient watch, where I am responsible for the safety of the patient and the public surrounding that patient. Much of the time I am considered to be a babysitter, but there are times where I am called upon to deescalate a certain situation by using strong communication skills, or calling in more security personnel.
As of late I have been working at UOIT/Duhram college where I am responsible for campus patrol, and access to specific classrooms and offices. I have also worked on the main security desk where my responsibilities include managing access control, receiving incoming radio calls, and managing alarms. Co-workers are great, and it is a fun environment to work in, however this is not a spot for someone looking for something bigger. It is a great spot to gain needed experience in a law enforcement field.
The work schedule was perfect and the management were always ready to listen to you
Security Guard (Former Employee), Fort McMurrayMay 25, 2015
Fun place to work, met a lot of people from different places the management was good you could always talk to them about any issues concerning your job at any time. I liked the 14 and 14 rotation because it gave you time to spend with your family
Meh.
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee), HamiltonMay 24, 2015
Cons: Long hours
The job itself is the same as any other security company, except now your paid $11.50 with a union and other benefits (foot care).
No respectful treatment
Security Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 23, 2015
Pros: Vacation Pay 6% for 5 to 10 Years of Service & 8% for more than 10 Years of service
Cons: Continental Shifts
some managers treat guards with no respect, intimidation tactics, in the disguise of client's requirement- force employees to different schedules effecting their personal life very adversely and reducing man power, No great pay-Minimum wages. No rise for years and years, indirect pressure and asking employees to sign for averaging hours to avoid paying overtime.
Good experience
Financial Consultant (contract) (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 14, 2015
Pros: close to home
Cons: long hours
New experience in the security industry, met new people, who I enjoyed working with. However, the contract was too short and the pay rate very low.
G4S Security-over all good
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
Pros: continental shifts
Cons: longs days, poor wage, lack of equipment
The days are 12 hour days. Duties include: report writing, physical restraints on mental health patients, scheduling for security team, supervising seven other people, key/access control, high risk guard on mental health floor and delegation.

I learned how to properly manage a big team and how to work together with nursing staff on site. My co-workers are the favorite part of my job. they are dependable and I have assisted in molding them to what they are today.

the hardest part of my job in the lack of proper equipment that is supplied to us. Also, for the job we do, we do not make adequate wages.
Enforced, Coordinated, Team Player
Security/Screening Officer (Current Employee), Richmond, BCApril 24, 2015
Worked with the general public and analyzed and evaluated situations, and exercised judgment and discretion to make decisions
• Obtained information in an investigative setting and pressure situation
 Checked departing passengers and their luggage with
X-ray machines
Walk-through metal detectors
Hand-held metal detectors
And personal searches
 Provided passengers with following services
* Guided passengers to security procedure
* Directed them to gates, arrival/departure area, taxi and public bus, washrooms, lost and found booth and other related designations * Answered their questions/inquiries and other information
Fast paced quick changing environment
Director of Security Operations (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2015
Being in the service industry, there are no "typical" days at the office. Having been promoted 3 times in 9 years, I had the benefit of learning quite a bit about cost control, labour relations and saturated markets.
Great places to work!
Security Guard (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 23, 2015
I loved being a guard, was one for 5 years and I would go back in a heart beat it if I was able to get a full time gig somewhere. working as a team was great! and working solo was even better!
Worse Company I've Ever Worked For
Security Guard (Former Employee), Timmins, ONApril 21, 2015
Pros: N/A
Cons: long hours, low pay, minimal benafits
I have never worked for a more unorganized, non caring lazy company since I've been in security. I was Laid off for no reason of my own lied to on many occasions, and was told by office staff that if site supervisors allow work place harassment then the office will allow it as well.
Productive with fun
Security Officer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 19, 2015
Pros: Preferred Hours
Cons: Less Benefits
A typical Day starts and ends easily. Learnt team work, Data entry, Customer Service. Management was good but less attentive. Co-workers were great, good team. Night shift was the only hard thing. Some nights you do nothing and just enjoy.
Headquarters