G4S Employee Reviews in Canada

All about the number$. You are an employee number.
Installations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2015
Enjoyed working along side my colleagues. Received exposure to new Technologies often. Enormous potential for growth, but management does not provide the necessary support to grow.
Pros
Fun place to work when everything goes well.
Cons
Don't expect any support from Management.
Friendly Staff and Management
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Excellent place to work. The colleagues and staff were very supportive. Starting pay was higher then most security jobs in the area
No support from Main Office, Good work is not appreciated
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, OntarioOctober 6, 2015
Workers at root level are neglected and no efforts from management towards cordial relations. No job satisfactiodue to non appreciation.
Greeting new faces to the buiding
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2015
Management and Supervisor are very supportive and helpful when making hard decisions. The most enjoyable thing about my job was being able to learn new skills and work ethnics from my colleagues.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
fun places and inrtactions with clients and customers
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 1, 2015
A typical day starts with signing on and be ,alert on the job, and getting briefed by the fellow guards and be on the monitors or patrols as the nature of the site.The hardest n part would be around 2'0 clock if its a night shift and than is the time to have a little
polite chat.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
hard wage raises
Hectic and challenging place to work
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 26, 2015
A typical day on the job entails dealing with individual and responding to their questions and concerns. Report writing and mental processing of information accurately are the key to a successful day.
Pros
Paid breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Managing staff to meet peoples needs in daily basis is always challenging work to impose especially when 90% is customer service. What makes this job great is everyday people you meet inspiring new ideas what to expect next and ways to improve yourself in a growing industry of customer service especially in a multicultural city and company that one works for.
A job that actually has what it stands for: security.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 12, 2015
As long as you have a permanent site, you will have guaranteed job security. Many different sites to work from and there are hours you can pick up on.
Stuctured work environment that allows the worker to set their other private and personal schedule easier.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 2, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was the opportunity that was given to the workers to work in various work place in various time frame with different team members and working environments.
Pros
Easy to work
Cons
May face the unseen risk and challanges
Average security company with horrible impatient people working the phone
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto,OnSeptember 2, 2015
The job placements were okay and decently flexible but whenever there was a mess up or inconvenience the people working the phones for clock-in/clock-out were extremely rude.
Wouldnt recomend it
security guard (Former Employee) –  northern ontarioAugust 20, 2015
low pay...bad administration and you have no chance of advancement.They don't care about Northern Ontario. there will never be raises.
company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2015
Working as a floater. Build a schedule to my needs. Able to work different sites and experience different things.

Co workers are friendly and fine.
Honest Review of G4S Secure Solutions Inc.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ONJuly 23, 2015
I can understand this being a frustrating career for those who have responsibilities in life such as rent, bills, children, etc. but could be great for students in school or those who live at home with family. While I was fortunate enough to have a permanent full-time post upon hire I can see it being a problem for those who aren't given that opportunity. A lot of people start part-time and as a casual on-call person until an opportunity for full-time comes up. I guess I was in the right place at the right time. Seniority seems to be respected at the post position you are given but you could be replaced by someone who held the position before you and had remained within the company.

There can be dry periods at times at the Sudbury location in terms of extra hours but should you prove yourself a reliable go-to-person when there is opportunities to grab extra shifts you can make decent money. Although, you will sacrifice having days off for sometimes up-to 2 weeks straight. You can expect short changes from going to days to nights (or vice versa) within 6-12 hours in-between for sleep. Even double shifts that can go up to 12-15 hours should you chose to accept them. The best practice is not to say "no" often when these chances come up or you could lose work ethic respect from management. Your work locations can be all over town and sometimes even out of town should a contract come up for that (with rental/company vehicle, gas, lodge and travel expenses paid).

There isn't much opportunity for advancement unless you have good qualifications that they are looking for. Ideally
  more... with police foundations or actual police experience, management experience, all company training, and so forth.The more you learn and have under your belt in relation to this field the better. All other guards can expect opportunities for overtime or a variety of different work sites to work in.

Management can be at times disorganized but it does look like they are doing what they can for a team of 3 at the branch office. There is definitely room for improvement here. However, my experience with site supervisors was more positive and I've never had issues with any of them as of this writing. Very approachable and seemed to be trained well.

I was not on salary and was paid by the hour. Regular guards can expect to earn between $11-12/hr for fixed permanent locations. You can earn more doing the various contracts that come up which could last sometimes for days, weeks or months. Each one pays differently where you can get earn anywhere from $13-$18 or even close to $30 depending on your qualifications. There is benefits for this job after 3 months of employment.

It helps to own a vehicle with this job and have your full licence. Although, it's not necessarily required if you don't have these or are working towards them.

Overall, I can't actually decide whether to recommend this job or not to anyone that's interested. I can tell you that for smaller towns there is less competition in terms of multiple people aiming towards the same positions within the company. Bigger cities have bigger work forces. This can be a frustrating career for those with life responsibilities but a great experience for those interested in this field or looking to get into the police force.
Pros
Co-workers, overtime, full-time opportunities
Cons
Overtime can affect sleep patterns and time off days, branch organization, little room for advancement without qualifications
Every shift is different
regular guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2015
G4S was a good place to work. Sometimes they have the wrong person in Management, and this causes problems with the staff and Clients.
Not Bad
Armed Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 18, 2015
Gardaworld was good while it lasted until they wanted to cut benefits and pension. Not very good to employees. Just a number.
Pros
Good job
Cons
overnights
G4S Secure Solutions
Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 11, 2015
I have worked at G4S Secure Solutions for over 13 years. I have worked in both the residential and corporate sectors. I work 40 hours per week and I have been Site Supervisor for 10 of those 13 years. My associates and my clients are the most enjoyable part of my job
Very Poor Management
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 8, 2015
A day at the Hospital can be very hectic and dangerous sometimes. My fellow guards and I would patrol hospital property, respond to alarms and distress calls, and manage entrances to the hospital lobby as well as the ER. My co workers were all good people. Our supervisors would often lay some of their responsibilities on us; for example, scheduling. We would often have to find people ourselves to cover days we would need off for other commitments. The hardest part of the job would be managing the ER desk, where many sick and disgruntled people would be difficult to deal with. But professionalism is key and you must treat all others equally. The most enjoyable part of the job was patrolling with my fellow guards and responding to calls. This provided some excitement/relaxation while on duty. I would always come home with an interesting story if I was on patrol that day. The main issue I have with G4S, is that after 9 months of working there, I still did not receive my protective vest to prevent a potential stab wound. This made me very uneasy as there were numerous instances where we stopped and searched a suspicious patron and found weapons and tools; or dealt with a larger individual trying to cause us physical harm.
Pros
Socialize with the public, many people are grateful for your services.
Cons
No protective gear issued to me after 9 months.
Very challenging mentally & physically
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 7, 2015
Totally different than my business career. A refreshing change after 7 years of retirement.
G4S is a very good company and has treated me fairly.
Upward mobility in the Peterborough area is my goal...personnel management and development of Security contracts is my next goal.
Pros
Four days on four days off.
Cons
The upward mobility seems to be their biggest challenge for the Peterborough area.
Excellent Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Christina Lake, ABJuly 5, 2015
Enjoyed the time in camp as a security guard. The atmosphere was comfortable and the quarters were nice. With a gym and good food and a 2 week on 2 week off schedule, it was great. Strong support from management made my senior guard position a good one.
Amazing experience, horrendous pay & benefits for job expectation
Hospital Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 2, 2015
G4S provides great experience for people seeking to further their careers in the security / law enforcement industry. Unfortunately the pay and job security is so poor that it makes it extremely difficult to balance work and life.
Pros
Great knowledge and experience
Cons
Poor Pay