G4S Employee Reviews in Canada

Professional work environment
Control Room Administrator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCMay 31, 2015
The work environment is definitely positive and welcoming. The staff is very understanding and helpful. I do not think there is anything difficult with this job as it is pretty straight forward. However it is extremely repetitive which really causes you to become robotic to the job. I understand there is routine related tasks in every and any job however most of the jobs I have worked it has always been a dynamic environment. My co-workers are very understanding, helpful, and mature. Management I think needs a little bit of work, there's always room for improvement but I think they are headed in the right direction.
Good people that work hard but need focus
Regional Recruiter - GTA West (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioFebruary 19, 2015
G4S has been a pleasure to work for the past 5 years. I have been granted several opportunities to be promoted from a Mobile Supervisor, to Scheduler, to Scheduling Supervisor all the way up to a Regional Recruiter.

I enjoy coming to work everyday and working with such great people. From the Executive level all the way down to the front line staff, the majority of people really are trying to do their best.

The hardest part of working for G4S is the lack of focus and direction that a large organization needs to keep the machine rolling. It feels like we are just stampeding through one challenge or another without really taking the time or making the effort to understand why we don't have better control or infrastructure to handle these situations. G4S also seems to be very reactionary to the challenges of the market, whether its technology, employee culture or competition It seems like we are always playing catch up with our competitors and the needs of the security industry.

Overall, its a good company to work for. It just seems like it really needs to knuckle down and get to the heart of what makes a good company great!
Pros
flexibility, good people, employee growth
Cons
lack of vision, bureaucracy, reactionary
Productive with fun
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 19, 2015
A typical Day starts and ends easily. Learnt team work, Data entry, Customer Service. Management was good but less attentive. Co-workers were great, good team. Night shift was the only hard thing. Some nights you do nothing and just enjoy.
Pros
Preferred Hours
Cons
Less Benefits
Not a great company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary,AbFebruary 25, 2015
Very poor compensation overall. Bad management. Does not pay overtime.Location was in Calgary, Alberta. Overall not a good company to work for. Unsteady work.
Cons
poor health benefits, no raises, no room for advancement
A job that actually has what it stands for: security.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 12, 2015
As long as you have a permanent site, you will have guaranteed job security. Many different sites to work from and there are hours you can pick up on.
High Turnover
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 18, 2015
Extremely high turnover for mid-level management jobs, which leads to a low experience base.

Upper-level managers appear to be unaware of what is actually happening on the floor with the staff members and performance issues. Many double standards regarding enforcing safety procedures when they are not being followed.
Pros
some benefits
Cons
mediocre management
Good way to get your foot in the door through specific experience
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 27, 2015
A typical day at G4S security is dependent on the site you've been assigned. Much of my work with G4S has been at a hospital doing patient watch, where I am responsible for the safety of the patient and the public surrounding that patient. Much of the time I am considered to be a babysitter, but there are times where I am called upon to deescalate a certain situation by using strong communication skills, or calling in more security personnel.
As of late I have been working at UOIT/Duhram college where I am responsible for campus patrol, and access to specific classrooms and offices. I have also worked on the main security desk where my responsibilities include managing access control, receiving incoming radio calls, and managing alarms. Co-workers are great, and it is a fun environment to work in, however this is not a spot for someone looking for something bigger. It is a great spot to gain needed experience in a law enforcement field.
Pros
Many sites offering different experiences
Cons
Long hours, but not always guarenteed them when needed.
Reliable Co-workers to count on
Operation Supervisor (Toronto Community Housing) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2015
With G4s Secure Solution i was the Operation Supervisor for Toronto Community Housing Corp. My Tasks were to provide any guidance to my team of 60 guards. Creating their schedules and over looking the contract for the Manger regarding everything, guards complaints, client needs to taking book off and vacation approvals.
productive
Assistant Manager, A17 PACAF Transportation (Former Employee) –  diego garcia british indian teritoryNovember 29, 2014
my review working for 12 yrs in the company is not so good.
im may typical day at work its fine,most of the time we have a rush jobs.
about the management theres a lot jobs but we have shortage in manpower, my co workers are very good team mates.
the hardest part of may job is that we awork so hard for every job they gave to us but we this the salary is not enough.
my twelve years working in my previous company i enjoy my job bacause i learn alot and i gain more friends
Pros
free meals
Cons
long hrs
Meh.
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  HamiltonMay 24, 2015
The job itself is the same as any other security company, except now your paid $11.50 with a union and other benefits (foot care).
very satisfactory job
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2014
* Guarding the security of offices, construction sites etc.

* Learned how to deal with different types of people.

* Management is very much reasonable to all the employees.

* Very cooperative and considerate co-workers.

* To work when there is harsh weather.

* To make sure the security of the workplace and get work satisfaction through that.
benefits
productive, efficient
Security Officer (Site Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2012
A typical work day is that you are either dealing with a fire alarm, leak problem, ambulance emergency, or a trespass. I learnt how to be proactive and to react fast in all sort of emergencies situations. The management is nice, they listen to your concerns and keep that in their record. I found that easy to deal with co-workers. The secret is to find out what type of person they are and to be friend with them accordingly. The hardest part of the job is that you are called in the middle of the night sometimes to cover a shift for a late or absent guard. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have lots of free time. You can use this time to actually improve your skills and to be an excellent employee.
Pros
lots of free time
Flexible but unpredictale
Client Service/Mobile Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 4, 2013
While starting my shift, every night is a different night. I do not know what tasks I have to do until I am briefed by the previous supervisor. Sometimes the shifts are slow and sometimes they are packed. Throughout my shift, I am constantly driving around the city which sometimes exhausts body and mind. My co-workers are very dependable and outgoing. The hardest part of my job is getting adjusted to the hours and not being able to spend time with my family. Some of the most enjoyable parts of my job is being able to meet new people and being able to converse while taking in their points of views. Management is fairly good but at times can be unorganized.
Pros
flexible time to take lunch whenever i please, being able to drive to various parts of the city that i have not been to before.
Cons
long hours (sometimes exceeding 12), working every weekend, low pay for the large amount of work being done
Hard work, sometimes goes unrecognized
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 25, 2014
Solid company, decent reputation, sadly heavily focuses on client concerns, which quite often, creates various issues within the Management structure. Sadly lacks a team atmosphere amongst the management team and not enough focus on correcting these issues.

Needs to act upon management concerns and develop a plan to improve a positive team atmosphere.
Pros
flexible hours, freedom to travel and not confined in the office
Cons
long hours, on call 24/7
Amazing experience, horrendous pay & benefits for job expectation
Hospital Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 2, 2015
G4S provides great experience for people seeking to further their careers in the security / law enforcement industry. Unfortunately the pay and job security is so poor that it makes it extremely difficult to balance work and life.
Pros
Great knowledge and experience
Cons
Poor Pay
Great Job
Security Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 23, 2015
This was a 2 month contract out at Shell Scotford. Had I been able to, I would have loved to continue doing it. I enjoyed the tasks and duties the job required. I loved being in the office environment.
Productive and fun workplace
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2015
Managing staff to meet peoples needs in daily basis is always challenging work to impose especially when 90% is customer service. What makes this job great is everyday people you meet inspiring new ideas what to expect next and ways to improve yourself in a growing industry of customer service especially in a multicultural city and company that one works for.
Not recommended
security guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
It really depends on the site you get but if you are not lucky. You will not have a fun time working.
Nothing fun ..... ........ .......... .............. .................
Pros
you are employed
Cons
poor treatment of emloyees
Productive and fun workplace.
Field Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2015
• Provide all new guards with site training
• Conduct site visits, patrols and evaluate all assigned sites as assigned by management
• Ensure all guards on all sites are in full and proper uniform with a valid Ontario Security License
• Ensure all guards comply with policies and procedures of sites as instructed by both the client and G4S Management

Most enjoyable part of my job is learning new thing about the job company and co-workers.
Pros
Good Learning Experience
Cons
Not having Dependable Worker and the distance from work to home.
Co workers are fun to work with and easy going. They are understanding and fully cooperate without hesitation.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 22, 2013
At the beginning of each shift, the security guard checks the shift notes from the previous guard on duty. This alerts the guard to anything to look out for during duty time. I have learned how to deal with a different cultures as well as providing a good customer service and maintain a good relation with the management and clients. The hardest part of this security job that when you multi task and work under pressure and maintain a good and positive attitude.