G4S Employee Reviews

Challanging and rewarding
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2016
Security Manager,
A typical day at Garda would start with a meeting to see where everyone was at, what had happened the previous shift, and what to expect for the upcoming shift. Through the day I would delegate staff different responsibilities, meet with senior management, develope policy and proceedures, liase with outside agencies, assist staff, etc. The management was awesome, I felt very supported in my position and knew I had a great resourse in the senior management.
The most difficult part of this position was having to disciplin staff. I don't think anyone likes to be disciplined.
The best part of my duties was watching my employees succeed.
Pros
meeting new people, learning from some of the best, acheving goals
Cons
being on call, having to dismiss people from their positions.
Not a comfortable environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Canada16 March 2016
I worked here for a little bit and it was actually not bad at all until I met my night shift supervisor. I'm a sensitive person. Let's just say my first shift working with him, he belittled me and bullied me as an employee. Told me i shouldn't do it, I can't do it because I had a fear of ghosts. It got to the point where we had a fire alarm go off and he left me alone in the office. This was my first time training in the office and alone. I had people calling me every five minutes about it and when I tried to get to him he never answered. At the end I called my other supervisor to ask for help. When my night shift supervisor found out, he gave me trouble, not only in front of other employers but clients. I couldn't take being yelled at for asking for help after him belittling me all night and I snapped. Now I know, I was in the wrong because a client saw me snap but they didn't even give me a chance to explain myself. Instead they let me go. If a company is more concerned with performance than their employers then that company, to me, will fail. If you want steady hours and decent pay this is good, but be careful who you work with.
Pros
Benefits and steady hours
Cons
Bullies for employers
Need to re-invent themselves
SERVICE DELIVERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 June 2016
Very little to no support for management team in Kelowna. Poor accounting process. Staff seldom if ever paid correctly, lead to bitter staff.
Pros
non
Cons
countless
hard work depending on site
Security Guard at Art Gallery Of Hamilton (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2016
lot of work for not a lot of pay and no good benefits for full time workers, high turn over rate. could use more sites and better pay for staff
Pros
non
Cons
pay could be higher
Great for over-time
Cash Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 September 2016
I typically worked graveyard shifts. Hard to maintain a personal life but the money was good, and the people were colourful. Always overtime so the pay cheque was always nice
Good job for students
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2016
Good job for students, great for building customer service and teamwork skills as well as leadership and prblem solving skills.
Clean environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2016
I have been working with this security company which i dedicate myself by working hard and by proving myself to others how i work so hard. I solve so many situation even when manager were around which they were so proud on me because how handle my job. The most part of my job i enjoy was dealing with drug addicted people who were smoking in the stairwells in business building which i manage to handle it and make the building clean and clear by dealing with the individual because of my communication skills.
Pros
free gifts
horrible company
security guard (Current Employee) –  toronto, ontario29 December 2012
absolutely noneoronto office and all this company does is take advantage of the guards. Been working with g4s toronto branch for 4 yrs and over the 4 yrs i have gotten 1 raise of 50 cents. They just don't care about any of the guards .I work at a TD bank and have absolutely no means of protection. No vest no baton no cuffs no nothing. I'm not even getting proper breaks. Sorry to say but i would not advise anyone to work for them. Payroll messes up often, scheduling omg i don't want to get into how often they mess up. If any management is reading this start treating us guards with the respect we deserve. Stop taking advantage of us.
Pros
absolutely none
Cons
pay rates, no raises, not given proper breaks. the list goes on
Time at G4S
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
I was never properly trained and the management was not very understanding about my school. Had to leave my position because I could not manage work and school.
Productive and fast paced environment
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 September 2016
Its fun to work at G4S but the work load is manageable. We learned many things through the experience and skills. Its good to work with the co-worker and the work environment is really good.
Just ok
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2016
It is just a routine, monotonous, day to day job with very little to learn and grow. I am a creative person who would like to do work in my field which I specialize for.
productive workplace wit comitted staff who help build your future
Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON6 March 2015
working for G4S Security Solutions has provided me with many skills and training for my future. The management team is very supportive and are always available to listen to the staff. the hardest part of my job is dealing with traumatic situations. I am able to professionally respond to situations but sometimes situations are emotionally effective towards the team. I enjoy working with this company because of the development it has on my future and goals
benefits
long
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON25 May 2016
i like the customer service aspect of the job, talking with clients makes the day go much quicker. I wish all locations were like this.
Pros
?
Cons
patrolling the area. making sure environment is safe
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  sqaure one mall4 August 2016
good employers. enjoy working with this company.working with people. making sure environment is safe to work in. standing all day was on bad thing about this job
Pros
good hours
Cons
standing
positive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 August 2016
positive work finder easy access website positive in areas of location for work finding location and trades specialty work searching and general good website layout
Very Enjoyable leaving me feeling productive.
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB29 March 2016
There was always something to do and if I was done my work then I would usually ask for more. The day would start off at 6 a.m for 12 hour days and night shift was the same. A typical day was busy needing to organize and process over 100 temporary employees for their orientation. After that it was programming the person employee access cards and vehicle passes for the chip gates and doors. I was always in a two person team for the entire shift but also was alone near the end of the contract. I got along well with everyone. I very much enjoyed that job.
good company to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 August 2016
AT start of shift take a patrol of site . Make sure every entry and exit are secure. Take note of any special requirement from customer.
lots of hours to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 April 2016
its okay place to work lots to learn and hours to work not the best pay and poor benefits. company does not really care about you but if your willing to work theres lots to do
fun places and inrtactions with clients and customers
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 October 2015
A typical day starts with signing on and be ,alert on the job, and getting briefed by the fellow guards and be on the monitors or patrols as the nature of the site.The hardest n part would be around 2'0 clock if its a night shift and than is the time to have a little
polite chat.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
hard wage raises
productive, efficient
Security Officer (Site Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2012
A typical work day is that you are either dealing with a fire alarm, leak problem, ambulance emergency, or a trespass. I learnt how to be proactive and to react fast in all sort of emergencies situations. The management is nice, they listen to your concerns and keep that in their record. I found that easy to deal with co-workers. The secret is to find out what type of person they are and to be friend with them accordingly. The hardest part of the job is that you are called in the middle of the night sometimes to cover a shift for a late or absent guard. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have lots of free time. You can use this time to actually improve your skills and to be an excellent employee.
Pros
lots of free time