G4S Employee Reviews

patrolling the area. making sure environment is safe
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  sqaure one mall4 August 2016
good employers. enjoy working with this company.working with people. making sure environment is safe to work in. standing all day was on bad thing about this job
Pros
good hours
Cons
standing
Prejudice, illegal, low quality and under equipped company
Security guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 August 2016
The uniforms do not comply with SSIA guidelines.
Pay is usually 13.50 an hour if your not in camp.
Never expect overtime, G4S is very proud of their cheap tacky approach.
Most nonsense I have ever saw in one place, it is a regular daily thing for the supervisor to threaten to fire you on a regular basis and the human resources person does not care to intervene.
Out of 14 days there was twelve where either 6 people were in a five seat capacity vehicle or ten people in an 8 person capacity vehicle.
Safety is a joke, they rant forever and curse the entire way through without mentioning the camp your staying in has a contaminated kitchen, electrical problems.
Accommodations are okay, but the safety person makes it rough by making the halls and cafeteria a no shoe zone. Imagine putting on your shoes 15 times a day.
The supervisors don't take their job seriously. I made a complaint about workplace harassment and was removed from the job site and left with no job.
G4S is full of clowns, if you don't wear face paint your in the wrong place
Pros
lunch is free but you will get sick every time chicken is served.
Cons
Verbal abuse, prejudice, SSIA non-compliance, policy that prevents security guards from doing security.
not good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 August 2016
The job sites are the most enjoyable part of working for this
company.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them. Salary for the hours and duties you perform during a 12 hr. rotating shifts not worth it.
Pros
meet nice people on job sites
Avoid like crazy
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible. The job is dull and exhausting with short breaks. And they deduct a lot of money from pay and will release your pay late. There are lots of other security companies to work at, avoid this one.
Pros
Lived close to place assigned
Cons
Good company to start with
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON13 July 2016
I've been with G4S for almost 3 years now. They are a decent company to work for. Wages aren't good, though, and the benefits are okay. They only cover dental care, prescriptions and eye care. Any physical therapy, such as massages or chiropractic care, is not covered. Management is decent. They try to help you out as best they can. There aren't much incentives. For example; no raises, hard to get onto a better paying site. Overall, they're a decent company to work for if you are just starting out.
Pros
Good jobs, decent management
Cons
Wages are too low, sometimes you don't get enough hours
productive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2016
improved communication skills
stress management
developed interpersonnel skills
better customer service
the best part of the company is the its employes
No respect for employees
Security Guard and Relief Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON30 June 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for. After 8 years I get passed over for the supervisor position and then I'm told my 40 hour a week day job has been reduced to 2 12 hour day shifts on the weekend. Had also worked as relief supervisor and they give the job to a person that doesn't have a clue.
Pros
dealing with the general public on a daily basis
Cons
Poor management
productive and fun place to work
Control Room Administrator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC18 June 2016
excellent way to learn and value the meaning of customer service
constantly keeping busy and learning the value of managing time and providing efficient customer service effectively
Just a job.
Manager/Mobile Patrol Unit Hamilton/Niagara Region (Current Employee) –  Hamilton/Niagara Regions6 June 2016
Enjoy the work despite the poor support from upper management. Workplace culture thrives at a lower level with a lot of employee dissatisfaction.
Pros
My position allows me to schedule shifts including my own.
Cons
Low paying. Lots of stress due to low support levels from support services.
hard work depending on site
Security Guard at Art Gallery Of Hamilton (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2016
lot of work for not a lot of pay and no good benefits for full time workers, high turn over rate. could use more sites and better pay for staff
Pros
non
Cons
pay could be higher
Need to re-invent themselves
SERVICE DELIVERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 June 2016
Very little to no support for management team in Kelowna. Poor accounting process. Staff seldom if ever paid correctly, lead to bitter staff.
Pros
non
Cons
countless
Good people, recycled quickly
Senior Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2016
They were a good place to work, just not the best fit for a career. They train, treat most of the employees consistently and don't have many good placements. This was the only place in temporary staff security that had fair benefits and where employees received accredited training. Pitty, I was slotted out of my job. It didn't sit well with me how I was not included in that decision. I quit for an hour and wage reduction proposal. It was a substantial change that I couldn't handle and was forced upon me. The people are trying hard to be good, but it's rare to have anyone stay employed by them for long periods. The people who do, think as everyone else as filler for someone better. That was my impression of this organization in Calgary. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in security staffing organizations.
Pros
Free accedited training, has benifits (dental, health, etc.), temp work, continued to try to be better
Cons
Temp work, completely unqualified staff after contract, bad uniforms that you have to buy, uncontrolled and/or unplanned promises occurred often
Time at G4S
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2016
I was never properly trained and the management was not very understanding about my school. Had to leave my position because I could not manage work and school.
long
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON25 May 2016
i like the customer service aspect of the job, talking with clients makes the day go much quicker. I wish all locations were like this.
Pros
?
Good Employer
Site Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Working in G4S has been a great experience over all. The executive management is helpful and cooperative. The wages are competitive.
G4S Working Environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
G4S is one of the leading security company located in heart of North America (Toronto).

- Great working environment.
- Management team is excellent motivator.
- Hands on training, One of the best instructors and teacher is industry. Training such as CPR, handling situations in stress environment, leadership training, etc.
- Individual employees are valued in company from junior to senior level.
Pros
Amazing Character, integrity, moral building experience.
Cons
Long working hours, Which i love.
Great people, at the work site
Full- Time Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 May 2016
They don't need you anymore if you become pregnant. Very unhappy with their union reps too that take sides of the company and do not listen to yours
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Long and flexible hours
Currently a Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2016
would have to do 8 or more hours and night shifts are brutal, co workers are fun people to talk to and management are organized and professional
Pros
free food
Cons
I worked at Karmax Heavy stamping for 11 years ,12 hour shifts on weekends and filled in when someone would be absent. Karmax was great to wor
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 April 2016
My typical day consisted of regulations of workers and guests into a Car Parts Factory, Handling phone calls ,Log in and out Transport Trucks Patrol inside and out of Warehouse. a 12 hour shift. I learned Safety regulations and how to handle an Emergency situation and CPR. The management treated me with respect. I worked alone in my own security booth but there was another guard at another location which I communicated with throughout my shift. The hardest part of the job probably was the foot patrols as the warehouse was big. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning all the skills of becoming a Security Guard.
Pros
The salary, 12 hour shifts, there was always lots to keep me busy.
G4S has not been able to give me a full time position with in their organization or any advanement oppurtunitys.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON19 April 2016
As a security guard for the past 15 years I have had a lot of experience. The typical workday consists of foot patrols, log in and out transport trucks, regulations of workers and guests into Sobeys Warehouse , handling phone calls, My co workers are great to work with which is probably my most enjoyable part of the job. I have learned to about safety issues and how to handle emergency situations. The hardest part of the job I think is probably the foot patrols. Management has treated me with respect.
Pros
Working as a team with co workers.
Cons
Not enough job oppurtunity, not enough pay. no training for advancement, working with in my capacity.