G4S Employee Reviews

Great teammates but poor management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2016
depending on which site you work, a typical day is either fun or boring - just make the environment conducive to your liking.

learned how not to operate in management, lacks vision, has little to no care or concern for guards or their well being/safety. more concerned with needs of clients rather than offer flexibility and support for staff.

great teammates - would not replace them at all!

hardest part of the job is being placed at a site with no form information concerning that specific work sites.

the most enjoyable part is having customers, residents or even clients showing more concern and or care, respect and appreciation for your time and work.
Pros
Nothing!
Great for over-time
Cash Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 10, 2016
I typically worked graveyard shifts. Hard to maintain a personal life but the money was good, and the people were colourful. Always overtime so the pay cheque was always nice
Slow with no achievements accomplished
Patient Watch Guard (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 5, 2016
For this short term employment I did not enjoy. I felt that I was bullied where I was located with the company. For 12 hours I had to sit in a chair not able to move and watch patients that had been considered unstable and were placed on "forms." When a patient in the hospital is "formed" that means they have to be monitored all hours of the day and night till the form has expired or been removed.

The hardest part for me is the fact I was not able to move around and it being a very slow pace job. For the 12 hours we were only allowed to have one 30 minute break which was hard as well on the body.
Cons
Long hours with 1 short break, no stable hours, rude co-workers, no benefits, low wage
An active workplace, with a lot of operations to keep occupied
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 3, 2016
-I learned how to be the best professional security guard I can possibly be, no matter what conflict of interest there is portrayed onto me personally, and never to let it interfere with work performance

-The coworkers are nice people, if you know how to communicate and adapt to differential norms and put it to your advantage ( in a good way)

- The most enjoyable part of a day at work, would be the interactions with people from all around the world and working with law enforcement from various backgrounds
Pros
Cons
Anything
hard work depending on site
Security Guard at Art Gallery Of Hamilton (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2016
lot of work for not a lot of pay and no good benefits for full time workers, high turn over rate. could use more sites and better pay for staff
Pros
non
Cons
pay could be higher
Lenel Support (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 6, 2016
The work culture is friendly and welcoming. People bond to each other as a team. one team one goal, safety first. The best management team i have seen so far in the company.
positive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 9, 2016
positive work finder easy access website positive in areas of location for work finding location and trades specialty work searching and general good website layout
Challanging and rewarding
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 30, 2016
Security Manager,
A typical day at Garda would start with a meeting to see where everyone was at, what had happened the previous shift, and what to expect for the upcoming shift. Through the day I would delegate staff different responsibilities, meet with senior management, develope policy and proceedures, liase with outside agencies, assist staff, etc. The management was awesome, I felt very supported in my position and knew I had a great resourse in the senior management.
The most difficult part of this position was having to disciplin staff. I don't think anyone likes to be disciplined.
The best part of my duties was watching my employees succeed.
Pros
meeting new people, learning from some of the best, acheving goals
Cons
being on call, having to dismiss people from their positions.
Great experience for furthering yourself in the security feild.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 16, 2016
I really enjoy my time with G4S because I enjoy the line of work and following the procedures day to day procedures. I learned lots about myself and the law enforcement and well as medical field. Our management is great as it is always willing to help and striving for us to become better guards through various training programs. The staff that we work with are all amazing people who have the same mindset and same goals. I would have to say the hardest part of the job and why I am now looking for other work in the amount we get paid. Being a subcontracted security company our wages really reflect the bidding process. The most enjoyable park of the job is being able to make a difference within the hospital and when you are appreciate for keeping staff out of harms way.
Pros
Exciting and fast work environment.
Cons
Wages being low
Good people, recycled quickly
Senior Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 31, 2016
They were a good place to work, just not the best fit for a career. They train, treat most of the employees consistently and don't have many good placements. This was the only place in temporary staff security that had fair benefits and where employees received accredited training. Pitty, I was slotted out of my job. It didn't sit well with me how I was not included in that decision. I quit for an hour and wage reduction proposal. It was a substantial change that I couldn't handle and was forced upon me. The people are trying hard to be good, but it's rare to have anyone stay employed by them for long periods. The people who do, think as everyone else as filler for someone better. That was my impression of this organization in Calgary. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in security staffing organizations.
Pros
Free accedited training, has benifits (dental, health, etc.), temp work, continued to try to be better
Cons
Temp work, completely unqualified staff after contract, bad uniforms that you have to buy, uncontrolled and/or unplanned promises occurred often
Just ok
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2016
It is just a routine, monotonous, day to day job with very little to learn and grow. I am a creative person who would like to do work in my field which I specialize for.
Need to re-invent themselves
SERVICE DELIVERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCJune 2, 2016
Very little to no support for management team in Kelowna. Poor accounting process. Staff seldom if ever paid correctly, lead to bitter staff.
Pros
non
Cons
countless
productive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 7, 2016
improved communication skills
stress management
developed interpersonnel skills
better customer service
the best part of the company is the its employes
The working environment was bit harsh because of the weather but other than that the salary was not bad.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Security, COJanuary 6, 2016
Personable individual that enjoys interacting with customers; a sincere desire to establish lasting and ongoing customer relations to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction and sales. Solution oriented with an understanding and empathetic approach to meeting customer needs.
Pros
we had little time to enjoy
Cons
cant say anything negative
Great people, at the work site
Full- Time Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 7, 2016
They don't need you anymore if you become pregnant. Very unhappy with their union reps too that take sides of the company and do not listen to yours
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
good company to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 6, 2016
AT start of shift take a patrol of site . Make sure every entry and exit are secure. Take note of any special requirement from customer.
Avoid at all costs!!!!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 6, 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them.Never expect overtime, G4S is very proud of their cheap tacky approach.
Most nonsense I have ever saw in one place, it is a regular daily thing for the supervisor to threaten to fire you on a regular basis and the human resources person does not care to intervene. The scheduling department was incredibly inconsistent and tough to reach. There were a few times where they would schedule you for a shift that didn't exist or was canceled. The Royal Ottawa is particularly the worse place to work!! The Supervisor is a Complete idiot who believes that he knows it all and is not willing to clearly hear your outcome(What ever this maybe). He should be removed from this Company! I believe that he is Complacent with his surroundings and clearly doesn't understand or care about how to manage staff at this site!!! Again if you see this Job posting please i urge All to Stay Away!!! Its a Complete waste of your time and resources.
Pros
None!!!!!
Cons
Supervisor changing the Schedule without informing staff!! Low Pay!! Duties are Minimal!!
Not as good as they make it seem
security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
during my time here I've only seen guards come and go a lot don't stay due to the pay and treatment. some job require you to risk your safety and it goes unrecognized by G4s. they only promote WHO THEY LIKE not to the ones who deserve it. management treats employees bad with no cares for there personal life or family. they do not keep there word. and will remove you from a site for minimal reasons also THEY DON'T LIKE NATURAL LEADERS.
benefits
Cons
management
Time at G4S
SECURITY GUARD (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2016
I was never properly trained and the management was not very understanding about my school. Had to leave my position because I could not manage work and school.
Worked for G 4 S since Nov ; 24 / 09
Patrol Guard & Parking Enforcement (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Patrols of 2 condominiums common areas from all floors & garage levels . Also , parking enforcement visitor parking lots .
And by permission from the owners parking spot to ticket unauthorized vehicles .
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Work long hours week ends 12 hour shifts