G4S Employee Reviews

Avoid like crazy
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible. The job is dull and exhausting with short breaks. And they deduct a lot of money from pay and will release your pay late. There are lots of other security companies to work at, avoid this one.
Pros
Lived close to place assigned
No respect for employees
Security Guard and Relief Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON30 June 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for. After 8 years I get passed over for the supervisor position and then I'm told my 40 hour a week day job has been reduced to 2 12 hour day shifts on the weekend. Had also worked as relief supervisor and they give the job to a person that doesn't have a clue.
Pros
dealing with the general public on a daily basis
Cons
Poor management
There's nothing good in this job.
Former by-law compliance (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 August 2016
Do not apply, this will be the worst mistake of your life. If I could rate this with 0 stars I would. I do not recommend anyone applying here. Poor management and poor staff. Do not ever ever apply here.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this job
Long and flexible hours
Currently a Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2016
would have to do 8 or more hours and night shifts are brutal, co workers are fun people to talk to and management are organized and professional
Pros
free food
G4S Working Environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
G4S is one of the leading security company located in heart of North America (Toronto).

- Great working environment.
- Management team is excellent motivator.
- Hands on training, One of the best instructors and teacher is industry. Training such as CPR, handling situations in stress environment, leadership training, etc.
- Individual employees are valued in company from junior to senior level.
Pros
Amazing Character, integrity, moral building experience.
Cons
Long working hours, Which i love.
Productive and Motivated
Toronto Mobile Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
Everyday at work should be a productive day. In order to have such, I follow a pattern. I start my days with a To-Do List. Some are menial jobs, which can be performed by the end of the work day. Others are long term goals where I am required to put in the effort daily in order to achieve them. I push myself to stay patient through the emotional challenges that come with work. I schedule short and appropriate social time with co-workers in order to build good working rapport and keep myself refreshed.
okay training but the work environments were fun to work in
Security Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North York, ON5 October 2016
G4s helped me out a lot with being able to accommodate my working hours and the sites they sent me to were really great places to work in. My only issue with G4s was the scheduling department, it seemed like they only wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible instead of helping out when someone needed it.
Great experience for furthering yourself in the security feild.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON16 February 2016
I really enjoy my time with G4S because I enjoy the line of work and following the procedures day to day procedures. I learned lots about myself and the law enforcement and well as medical field. Our management is great as it is always willing to help and striving for us to become better guards through various training programs. The staff that we work with are all amazing people who have the same mindset and same goals. I would have to say the hardest part of the job and why I am now looking for other work in the amount we get paid. Being a subcontracted security company our wages really reflect the bidding process. The most enjoyable park of the job is being able to make a difference within the hospital and when you are appreciate for keeping staff out of harms way.
Pros
Exciting and fast work environment.
Cons
Wages being low
Not as good as they make it seem
security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 December 2015
during my time here I've only seen guards come and go a lot don't stay due to the pay and treatment. some job require you to risk your safety and it goes unrecognized by G4s. they only promote WHO THEY LIKE not to the ones who deserve it. management treats employees bad with no cares for there personal life or family. they do not keep there word. and will remove you from a site for minimal reasons also THEY DON'T LIKE NATURAL LEADERS.
benefits
Cons
management
Love working for them
Security Guard/Team Lead/Mobile (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB/Calgary21 September 2016
Helped out in Fort McMurray after the Wildfire worked with an amazing team starting from the top all the way to the lonely guards everybody was treated with respect. I miss it up there hope to go back soon. My camp job was paying 21 an hour my mobile pays a little less but I'm close to my family
Pros
Make friends see more of the province
Cons
Can be lobg hours away from home
Challanging and rewarding
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2016
Security Manager,
A typical day at Garda would start with a meeting to see where everyone was at, what had happened the previous shift, and what to expect for the upcoming shift. Through the day I would delegate staff different responsibilities, meet with senior management, develope policy and proceedures, liase with outside agencies, assist staff, etc. The management was awesome, I felt very supported in my position and knew I had a great resourse in the senior management.
The most difficult part of this position was having to disciplin staff. I don't think anyone likes to be disciplined.
The best part of my duties was watching my employees succeed.
Pros
meeting new people, learning from some of the best, acheving goals
Cons
being on call, having to dismiss people from their positions.
productive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 July 2016
improved communication skills
stress management
developed interpersonnel skills
better customer service
the best part of the company is the its employes
Great teammates but poor management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 February 2016
depending on which site you work, a typical day is either fun or boring - just make the environment conducive to your liking.

learned how not to operate in management, lacks vision, has little to no care or concern for guards or their well being/safety. more concerned with needs of clients rather than offer flexibility and support for staff.

great teammates - would not replace them at all!

hardest part of the job is being placed at a site with no form information concerning that specific work sites.

the most enjoyable part is having customers, residents or even clients showing more concern and or care, respect and appreciation for your time and work.
Pros
Nothing!
Good part-time job for college/university students
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 October 2015
G4S has a bad reputation, there's no question about that. However, I enjoyed working with them for several years while I was in university. I had 24 hours a week at a permanent site and they frequently asked if I wanted more hours if I had the time. Working as a security guard is not physically strenuous and there is a lot of downtime to tackle readings/homework- as long as you still do your job, they're fine with that.

I do not recommend this job or company if you aspire to become a police officer or work in other areas of law enforcement.

Hours are there if you want them, and management in Hamilton was reasonable to deal with and work around other commitments. The only security guards that did not appreciate the job or respect management were those who want to make being a security guard with G4S their career.

The salary is generally minimum wage or just above. The wage does not often match the site duties. For example, someone sitting in an office with free access to the internet, a refrigerator, who has to conduct periodic foot patrols may earn the same wage as someone working in a low-income housing area who has to deal with drug addicts, intoxicated/high people, and difficult tenants.
Pros
Lots of downtime
Cons
Low wage
Not a comfortable environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Canada16 March 2016
I worked here for a little bit and it was actually not bad at all until I met my night shift supervisor. I'm a sensitive person. Let's just say my first shift working with him, he belittled me and bullied me as an employee. Told me i shouldn't do it, I can't do it because I had a fear of ghosts. It got to the point where we had a fire alarm go off and he left me alone in the office. This was my first time training in the office and alone. I had people calling me every five minutes about it and when I tried to get to him he never answered. At the end I called my other supervisor to ask for help. When my night shift supervisor found out, he gave me trouble, not only in front of other employers but clients. I couldn't take being yelled at for asking for help after him belittling me all night and I snapped. Now I know, I was in the wrong because a client saw me snap but they didn't even give me a chance to explain myself. Instead they let me go. If a company is more concerned with performance than their employers then that company, to me, will fail. If you want steady hours and decent pay this is good, but be careful who you work with.
Pros
Benefits and steady hours
Cons
Bullies for employers
Need to re-invent themselves
SERVICE DELIVERY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC2 June 2016
Very little to no support for management team in Kelowna. Poor accounting process. Staff seldom if ever paid correctly, lead to bitter staff.
Pros
non
Cons
countless
Prejudice, illegal, low quality and under equipped company
Security guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 August 2016
The uniforms do not comply with SSIA guidelines.
Pay is usually 13.50 an hour if your not in camp.
Never expect overtime, G4S is very proud of their cheap tacky approach.
Most nonsense I have ever saw in one place, it is a regular daily thing for the supervisor to threaten to fire you on a regular basis and the human resources person does not care to intervene.
Out of 14 days there was twelve where either 6 people were in a five seat capacity vehicle or ten people in an 8 person capacity vehicle.
Safety is a joke, they rant forever and curse the entire way through without mentioning the camp your staying in has a contaminated kitchen, electrical problems.
Accommodations are okay, but the safety person makes it rough by making the halls and cafeteria a no shoe zone. Imagine putting on your shoes 15 times a day.
The supervisors don't take their job seriously. I made a complaint about workplace harassment and was removed from the job site and left with no job.
G4S is full of clowns, if you don't wear face paint your in the wrong place
Pros
lunch is free but you will get sick every time chicken is served.
Cons
Verbal abuse, prejudice, SSIA non-compliance, policy that prevents security guards from doing security.
hard work depending on site
Security Guard at Art Gallery Of Hamilton (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2016
lot of work for not a lot of pay and no good benefits for full time workers, high turn over rate. could use more sites and better pay for staff
Pros
non
Cons
pay could be higher
Clean environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2016
I have been working with this security company which i dedicate myself by working hard and by proving myself to others how i work so hard. I solve so many situation even when manager were around which they were so proud on me because how handle my job. The most part of my job i enjoy was dealing with drug addicted people who were smoking in the stairwells in business building which i manage to handle it and make the building clean and clear by dealing with the individual because of my communication skills.
Pros
free gifts
Cons
great learning curves and has benfits/union
Loss Prevention Officer{trainer} (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 September 2016
busy, hard work, great amount of paper work/ reports, hardest part of the job is working with individuals who may not work as hard as you or care as much, but if you are able to focus just on yourself, all will be ok.