G4S Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Challanging and rewarding
Security Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 30, 2016
Pros: meeting new people, learning from some of the best, acheving goals
Cons: being on call, having to dismiss people from their positions.
Security Manager,
A typical day at Garda would start with a meeting to see where everyone was at, what had happened the previous shift, and what to expect for the upcoming shift. Through the day I would delegate staff different responsibilities, meet with senior management, develope policy and proceedures, liase with outside agencies, assist staff, etc. The management was awesome, I felt very supported in my position and knew I had a great resourse in the senior management.
The most difficult part of this position was having to disciplin staff. I don't think anyone likes to be disciplined.
The best part of my duties was watching my employees succeed.
Terrible scheduling department
Security Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
The scheduling department was incredibly inconsistent and tough to reach. There were a few times where they would schedule you for a shift that didn't exist or was canceled.
great people to work with and good hours to work
High Risk Security Officer (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Pros: lots of hours to work
Cons: little pay and management is poor
i learned a lot working at G4S
Management could have been a lot better
had great co-workers
hardest part of my job was dealing with all the suicide attempts
the most enjoyable part is the interaction with the people
Decent company to get your start in the Security industry
Security Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 14, 2016
G4S is large company with many positions and therefore opportunities for horizontal and vertical movement. They offer solid employee training and a very diverse make-up of sites to work at depending on your experience/interests.
The working environment was bit harsh because of the weather but other than that the salary was not bad.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Security, COJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: we had little time to enjoy
Cons: cant say anything negative
Personable individual that enjoys interacting with customers; a sincere desire to establish lasting and ongoing customer relations to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction and sales. Solution oriented with an understanding and empathetic approach to meeting customer needs.
Not as good as they make it seem
security (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
during my time here I've only seen guards come and go a lot don't stay due to the pay and treatment. some job require you to risk your safety and it goes unrecognized by G4s. they only promote WHO THEY LIKE not to the ones who deserve it. management treats employees bad with no cares for there personal life or family. they do not keep there word. and will remove you from a site for minimal reasons also THEY DON'T LIKE NATURAL LEADERS.
Good management
Agent service à la clientèle (Current Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 26, 2015
Pros: Good friendly atmosphere
People r always helping you to learn new things every day very help ful management learning new things everyday was thé best part of this company
Working at G4S, is a Company where you learn, that you can always take Pride in your Job!
Security Guard (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 14, 2015
G4S, is one of the Best Security Companies I have ever worked for, and would like the opportunity to work with them again.
Patrol Guard & Parking Enforcement Officer
Patrol Guard & Parking Enforcement Officer (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONDecember 10, 2015
Pros: Work independently & good knowledge of the site
Cons: Weekend shifts are 12 hour shifts
Patrols of 2 condominiums & 4 parking levels
Pre / Post inspections of elevator & party room bookings .
Parking enforcement officer . Ticket vehicles during hours of violation & unauthorized vehicles in owners parking spots .
Not recommended
security guard (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
Pros: you are employed
Cons: poor treatment of emloyees
It really depends on the site you get but if you are not lucky. You will not have a fun time working.
Nothing fun ..... ........ .......... .............. .................
flight center at kearl
Screener and Security Officer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2015
It is a very good employer .I learned to be more professional with G4S.The management encourage us all the time to show professionalism with clients. My co-workers are brothers and sisters to me. The hardest part of the job is when we go outside under the weather of -40 to go scan vehicles. when I am by myself in the bird house to wait for the vehicles to come before I scan them and let them go by pressing the botton .
Productive and a good place to work
Vault Administrator/Armoured Guard/Custodian (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 24, 2015
Pros: Paid Lunches, Overtime, Enjoyable Work Environment
Cons: Everything is Timed. You can get behind schedule very easily if not alert and prioritized.
Its a good place to work, lots of proof reading is involved. It is hectic at times but pretty steady. Management is pretty cooperative.
Great Job
Security Admin (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABNovember 23, 2015
This was a 2 month contract out at Shell Scotford. Had I been able to, I would have loved to continue doing it. I enjoyed the tasks and duties the job required. I loved being in the office environment.
Security Guard (Former Employee), London, ONNovember 18, 2015
Pros: quiet sites
Cons: long hours
long hours rough times balancing home life medical life and work. Mostly you work in hazardous areas alone. Had to use your own transportation on some sites at your own expensence
Worst company to work for!
Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 27, 2015
The management does not care about staff, and will do anything to make themselves look good. very unorganized and demeaning.
great managers but low pay, realistic hours
Security Guard (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 26, 2015
Pros: free items and equipment
Cons: long hours during over night shift work
i had a good employment with G4S the managers were friendly and understanding the pay was not great but you can count on being taken care of during work hours.
Reliable Co-workers to count on
Operation Supervisor (Toronto Community Housing) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2015
With G4s Secure Solution i was the Operation Supervisor for Toronto Community Housing Corp. My Tasks were to provide any guidance to my team of 60 guards. Creating their schedules and over looking the contract for the Manger regarding everything, guards complaints, client needs to taking book off and vacation approvals.
Good part-time job for college/university students
Security Guard (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Lots of downtime
Cons: Low wage
G4S has a bad reputation, there's no question about that. However, I enjoyed working with them for several years while I was in university. I had 24 hours a week at a permanent site and they frequently asked if I wanted more hours if I had the time. Working as a security guard is not physically strenuous and there is a lot of downtime to tackle readings/homework- as long as you still do your job, they're fine with that.

I do not recommend this job or company if you aspire to become a police officer or work in other areas of law enforcement.

Hours are there if you want them, and management in Hamilton was reasonable to deal with and work around other commitments. The only security guards that did not appreciate the job or respect management were those who want to make being a security guard with G4S their career.

The salary is generally minimum wage or just above. The wage does not often match the site duties. For example, someone sitting in an office with free access to the internet, a refrigerator, who has to conduct periodic foot patrols may earn the same wage as someone working in a low-income housing area who has to deal with drug addicts, intoxicated/high people, and difficult tenants.
All about the number$. You are an employee number.
Installations Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 16, 2015
Pros: Fun place to work when everything goes well.
Cons: Don't expect any support from Management.
Enjoyed working along side my colleagues. Received exposure to new Technologies often. Enormous potential for growth, but management does not provide the necessary support to grow.
Friendly Staff and Management
Security Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 13, 2015
Excellent place to work. The colleagues and staff were very supportive. Starting pay was higher then most security jobs in the area
Headquarters