G4S

• Salary/Benefits
I FEEL SAFE AND I AM VERY HAPPY WITH G4S
Security Guard (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 21, 2013
MY OVER ALL REVIEW EXCELLENCE IN THIS FIELD
G4S IS AN EXCELLENT PLACE TO WORK THEY GIVE YOU A CHOICE ON WHERE YOU CAN WORK AND COWORKERS ARE AWSOME NEVER STAB YOU IN THE BACK ALWAYS HAVE YOUR BACK IN TIME OF NEED.
Industrial Security
Security Guard (Current Employee), London, OntarioDecember 7, 2013
Once you get on a big site your in a good spot and the job is great
good coworkers, just not secure..wages fluctuate
Security Officer / Mobile Security (Current Employee), albertaNovember 10, 2013
Pros: first job, late years job or close tp retirement is good
Cons: low pay, no job security
Security, is a good place for new job market, but job security is minimal, advancement is not an option.
No Thank you
Security Life Safety Officer (Former Employee), EtobicokeNovember 9, 2013
Very demanding, and not rewarding. No job security or room for improvement
Not a good place
Security Guard (Current Employee), Timmins, ONSeptember 20, 2013
Not a good place to work poor management and always make mistakes on pays
Always something new
Security Guard (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 16, 2013
Patrolled every a hour
hade to perform medical attention when needed
Terrible hours
Security Guard (Former Employee), Harmony LogisiticsSeptember 11, 2013
Pros: steady work
Cons: no support from management
I checked incoming and outgoing loads while working in the guard house.
It's a start to enter security
Security Guard (Current Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 8, 2013
Working in the hospital is really busy at times.
Supervisors are fun to work with and learn from.
Co-workers are great
Working 12 hour shifts is hard.
Learning and working with my team is enjoyable.
quit and safe
Security Guard (Former Employee), Regina, SKSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: they trusted me and gave me a huge responsibility
Cons: it was hort i should back to school to finish my education.
I learned how should i be responsible in my job. i worked 8 hours a day and 3 days in week.
hard to balance personal life with work life and terrible employee relations
Security Officer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 1, 2013
When i was hired I was informed that I would be placed in a full time position guaranteed, for the first month i worked for no more than 2 days . My last location there I had requested a location somewhat close to home as i was promised in the interview and I was placed at a location outside of the city on the opposite side of Calgary from me, my commute – more... in the morning was an hour on the best day but usually ended up being close to 2 and a half hours. I worked 12 hour days which i was expecting in a security company but ended up spending 16 hours on average a day working and getting there/back then the rest sleeping so i could work the next day i didnt get to see my family for more that 5 minutes a day and when i saw them they were asleep. when i requested a closer location to home i was pulled off the location I was on and left without any work for 5 months even though i kept contacting checking on progress for new locations and nothing came of it until i received a letter in the mail that read: our records show that you have not worked for 5 months with us and we will assume that if you do not contact us before said date we will be terminating your employment. upon reading this i immediately sent an email to inform hr that I have been trying to get a shift with the company and that i would like to continue working with them but never received any confirmation that the email was even received so i went into the office to discuss the matter face to face to hear that they had apparently responded 3 times to my email however i had never received anything and they informed me that my employment had been terminated and that my final check would be in 2 weeks later when i went in to pick my check the employee behind the desk couldnt find it and proceeded to tell me that it had been lost. it took them close to another month to find my check. – less
Various postings
Security Guard (Former Employee), Sudbury ON.August 23, 2013
Very unsatisfied with this company i worked for about two months, every paycheck was wrong or late my first paycheck was a week late i would not work for this company again.
My workplace is very team oriented and great to work with
Security Guard (Current Employee), Timmins, ONJuly 4, 2013
Pros: our security supervisor for our site is very understandable and flexible when time off is needed.
Cons: the days can be long working 12 hour shifts but its not too bad.
Im contracted out to a Mine and work 12 hour nightshifts. It's fairly quiet on the site now since the 2010 shut down and hundreds of workers were laid off. When the site was booming is was constantly busy. Everyday we learn new things as time changes things get upgraded but its great to learn new things.I work with a great team, we all work together – more... to get tasks done. i enjoy the people that I work with, after being with a company for a few years they become family. – less
Condo Guard
Security Officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2013
Pros: easy and stress free
Cons: not always time to eat.
Working as a condo guard is detailed but stress free job. It is a typical routine and has many opportunities to work with a wide range of people.
Great Company
Security Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 18, 2013
Pros: diverse experiences
Cons: night shift was difficult. no sleep
As supervisor, no two days were ever the same. I had to drive to 3 different campuses and also 3 offices to check on guards and make sure all was safe at each site.
My co workers were great and loved me since I was the one distributing coffee!
good work environment
Experienced and worked as a team lead (Current Employee), TORONTO, ONJune 13, 2013
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK WOULD BE LIKE. STARTING SHIFT PROVINDING ACCESS INTRACTING WITH PEOPLE AND LEARN ABOUT THE WORKERS AND THE ENVIROMENT DAY BY DAY.
Fun place to work, Never a dull moment
Field Security Supervisor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 22, 2013
Supervise guards, review site orders and inspecting sites.
Great
Security Guard (Current Employee), Thunder Bay, ONApril 18, 2013
Over all G4S is a great company to work for, great benefits and they respect there employees.
G4S employee
Security Guard (Current Employee), London, ONApril 12, 2013
Pros: free online courses through the union, some good people
Cons: 12 hour shifts, no breaks, must pack a lunch, working nights/weekends/holidays, poor quality uniforms, poor management, poor job security, outdated benefit plan for fulltimers
I can only speak for unarmored guards.
This company will hire anyone off the streets with a security license, so be prepared to work with a circus of clowns, including management. There are some good people, but the insane number of clowns give the company a bad reputation. Management is sneaky and two-faced, you never know what to expect from them. – more... Luckily, the guards are unionized (under the CAW) because you will need to go up against management for almost everything.

Most jobs are 12 hour shifts, with no breaks, and straight nights (or at least rotating shifts) and make minimum wage. Some sites also force you to use your own car as a patrol vehicle, and the gas/mileage allowance for these positions is very cheap.

The hardest part of the job is usually sitting in a chair for 12 hours straight without falling asleep.

The job security is awful. I have already been out of a job twice in the past two years with this company, because they are losing security contracts with companies faster than they are getting them. If this happens to you, don't expect the company to lay you off, they will cut your hours down to 6 hour/week so you are ineligible for EI benefits. If you are lucky enough to have less hours than that, you will have to beg them for your ROE to make an unemployment claim.

They will then call you with a less-than 2 hour notice and give you the worst shifts they have, and will not take "No" as an answer.

Kiss up to management and do not get on their bad side, or they will make your life a living nightmare and you should be fine.

P.s. Your uniform will take months to come in when you first start. Once you have it, it will not likely take long for it to fall apart/rip, and will take a lot of begging, pleading, and phone calls to get a replacement. There are employees working without a sweater or jacket in the middle of winter.

P.P.S. Always check your pay stubs, they will often be incorrect and missing hours. When they are, be prepared to jump through hoops of fire to get your earnings. (6-12 month battle of constant phone calls and emails to and from 10 different people on the other side of the province) – less
Very good supervisors
security guard (Current Employee), Mississauga/BramptonMarch 20, 2013
Pros: comfortable working hours 6am to 12 pm
Cons: long standing hours
Have worked in TD Canada Trust branches. It has been very enjoyable as the staff of bank have been very cooperative and nice to talk. customers also have been very gentle.
Security Company
Loss Prevention Officer - L.C.B.O. Contract (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 16, 2013
G4S is a diverse security company with many services offered. There is constant room for advancement, multiple and varying contracts to work on, and new and different experiences are always popping up.

About G4S

G4S is the world’s leading international security solutions group, which specialises in secure outsourcing in countries – Read more