G4S Employee Reviews

Good company to start with
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON13 July 2016
I've been with G4S for almost 3 years now. They are a decent company to work for. Wages aren't good, though, and the benefits are okay. They only cover dental care, prescriptions and eye care. Any physical therapy, such as massages or chiropractic care, is not covered. Management is decent. They try to help you out as best they can. There aren't much incentives. For example; no raises, hard to get onto a better paying site. Overall, they're a decent company to work for if you are just starting out.
Pros
Good jobs, decent management
Cons
Wages are too low, sometimes you don't get enough hours
Job Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2016
There is no such thing as job security at G4S.

working with the company was fun. However, when there are issues arising within a contract, the area managers tend to turn the other cheek and allow the problems to persist, just to save a big contract.

My biggest complaint about G4S is the company allowing someone with no security or supervisory experience to take over the Team Lead position for G4S. The contract is huge for G4S as it is a global contract. However, the individual creates a hazardous work environment, which has caused many people to leave and seek shifts elsewhere.

the biggest pro i have from the company: being able to learn and grow as a security officer. I have learned a lot working with a gentleman who has more than 25 years of security experience. I can say that I can do my job with confidence with all that he has taught me.
Pros
Office staff is the best
Cons
allowing someone with no security or management experience take on the title of supervisor, which is currently happening on one contract.
Low Wages, Low Opportunities, High Turnover
CAHSO- Health Sciences North (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 August 2016
Management was absolutely terrible. Had a few occasions where I had finished a set of shifts, (working full time) and on my days off was told I had to work at other sites for coverage as they had no staff. When I declined, management had threatened to let me go due to not working other sites when I was already scheduled full-time for a specific site. When investigated by the Union, it was ruled in my favor due to good evidence. Union process took ages unfortunately. Management kept no records of any call-ins to keep up seniority and it created a whole new can of worms for many employees.

Job security was always uncertain. First you had to apply for the company, then apply for a specific site, then if you got a specific site started working but then could be removed at any moment and sent to another site without any explanation at all and lack of proper training.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Interesting Tasks, Unpredictable
Cons
Management, Unethical Practices
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2016
Daily work is somewhat repetitive
Good job to do
Not much room for advancement
Majority of employees start as part time
Full time is one of the only few advancements
Being pulled up to a supervisor position is rare
Good co-workers
Good work environment
Most of management is great to deal with
Pros
Paid Lunch Breaks
Cons
Workload can vary at times, somewhat stressfull
Good people, recycled quickly
Senior Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2016
They were a good place to work, just not the best fit for a career. They train, treat most of the employees consistently and don't have many good placements. This was the only place in temporary staff security that had fair benefits and where employees received accredited training. Pitty, I was slotted out of my job. It didn't sit well with me how I was not included in that decision. I quit for an hour and wage reduction proposal. It was a substantial change that I couldn't handle and was forced upon me. The people are trying hard to be good, but it's rare to have anyone stay employed by them for long periods. The people who do, think as everyone else as filler for someone better. That was my impression of this organization in Calgary. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in security staffing organizations.
Pros
Free accedited training, has benifits (dental, health, etc.), temp work, continued to try to be better
Cons
Temp work, completely unqualified staff after contract, bad uniforms that you have to buy, uncontrolled and/or unplanned promises occurred often
I worked at Karmax Heavy stamping for 11 years ,12 hour shifts on weekends and filled in when someone would be absent. Karmax was great to wor
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 April 2016
My typical day consisted of regulations of workers and guests into a Car Parts Factory, Handling phone calls ,Log in and out Transport Trucks Patrol inside and out of Warehouse. a 12 hour shift. I learned Safety regulations and how to handle an Emergency situation and CPR. The management treated me with respect. I worked alone in my own security booth but there was another guard at another location which I communicated with throughout my shift. The hardest part of the job probably was the foot patrols as the warehouse was big. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning all the skills of becoming a Security Guard.
Pros
The salary, 12 hour shifts, there was always lots to keep me busy.
Its a job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2016
Working with this company is alright, I do think management needs some work. They're very unprofessional and also I think the guards aren't paid well enough for the type of hours they work (which are ridiculous by the way). The coworkers are usually the same, you either have the real serious ones or the laid back ones just trying to get through the day. I do love that you get to work kind of independently in a sense that you don't have management over your back; but you may or may not have a coworker to have your back in case of a situation. I think I learned to make the most of this job while I'm here because working overnight leaves you with a lot of dead time to figure out life or learn other things while on the job. I think majority of the reason people choose to work here is because it does provide you with the hours you might need. So overall i'd say working with this company is alright. Its a job at the end of the day and that is why the majority of guards are working here.
Pros
Benefits program
Cons
G4S has not been able to give me a full time position with in their organization or any advanement oppurtunitys.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON19 April 2016
As a security guard for the past 15 years I have had a lot of experience. The typical workday consists of foot patrols, log in and out transport trucks, regulations of workers and guests into Sobeys Warehouse , handling phone calls, My co workers are great to work with which is probably my most enjoyable part of the job. I have learned to about safety issues and how to handle emergency situations. The hardest part of the job I think is probably the foot patrols. Management has treated me with respect.
Pros
Working as a team with co workers.
Cons
Not enough job oppurtunity, not enough pay. no training for advancement, working with in my capacity.
not good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 August 2016
The job sites are the most enjoyable part of working for this
company.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them. Salary for the hours and duties you perform during a 12 hr. rotating shifts not worth it.
Pros
meet nice people on job sites
Avoid at all costs!!!!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 September 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them.Never expect overtime, G4S is very proud of their cheap tacky approach.
Most nonsense I have ever saw in one place, it is a regular daily thing for the supervisor to threaten to fire you on a regular basis and the human resources person does not care to intervene. The scheduling department was incredibly inconsistent and tough to reach. There were a few times where they would schedule you for a shift that didn't exist or was canceled. The Royal Ottawa is particularly the worse place to work!! The Supervisor is a Complete idiot who believes that he knows it all and is not willing to clearly hear your outcome(What ever this maybe). He should be removed from this Company! I believe that he is Complacent with his surroundings and clearly doesn't understand or care about how to manage staff at this site!!! Again if you see this Job posting please i urge All to Stay Away!!! Its a Complete waste of your time and resources.
Pros
None!!!!!
Cons
Supervisor changing the Schedule without informing staff!! Low Pay!! Duties are Minimal!!
Lenel Support (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 August 2016
The work culture is friendly and welcoming. People bond to each other as a team. one team one goal, safety first. The best management team i have seen so far in the company.
Just a job.
Manager/Mobile Patrol Unit Hamilton/Niagara Region (Current Employee) –  Hamilton/Niagara Regions6 June 2016
Enjoy the work despite the poor support from upper management. Workplace culture thrives at a lower level with a lot of employee dissatisfaction.
Pros
My position allows me to schedule shifts including my own.
Cons
Low paying. Lots of stress due to low support levels from support services.
Slow with no achievements accomplished
Patient Watch Guard (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 February 2016
For this short term employment I did not enjoy. I felt that I was bullied where I was located with the company. For 12 hours I had to sit in a chair not able to move and watch patients that had been considered unstable and were placed on "forms." When a patient in the hospital is "formed" that means they have to be monitored all hours of the day and night till the form has expired or been removed.

The hardest part for me is the fact I was not able to move around and it being a very slow pace job. For the 12 hours we were only allowed to have one 30 minute break which was hard as well on the body.
Cons
Long hours with 1 short break, no stable hours, rude co-workers, no benefits, low wage
very fast pace enviorment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON11 November 2016
lots of walking, people with different problems, hardest part was 12hr shifts & being a by-law officer, enjoyable part was good co-workers, management needs better communications skills
Pros
switch shifts
Cons
low pay, unappreciated, long hrs
team envirioment
coordinator of security services (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 November 2016
Enjoyed my time as a guard at the hospital with G4S a lot training, met a lot of people,matured as person.
Moved up the corperate fairly quickly. Overall great company.
Pros
on going training, room for advancement
Cons
not a great pay
Decent company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON1 November 2016
Hours and shifts are all over the place. Human resource manager is great and most employees are easy to get along with. No future in this company doing security as there is really no advancement.
Avoid like crazy
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible. The job is dull and exhausting with short breaks. And they deduct a lot of money from pay and will release your pay late. There are lots of other security companies to work at, avoid this one.
Pros
Lived close to place assigned
Good Employer
Site Security Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
Working in G4S has been a great experience over all. The executive management is helpful and cooperative. The wages are competitive.
No respect for employees
Security Guard and Relief Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON30 June 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for. After 8 years I get passed over for the supervisor position and then I'm told my 40 hour a week day job has been reduced to 2 12 hour day shifts on the weekend. Had also worked as relief supervisor and they give the job to a person that doesn't have a clue.
Pros
dealing with the general public on a daily basis
Cons
Poor management
supportive and friendly work place
Concierge, Patrol (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
management offer positive support and help to develop employees , friendly work place and helpful team members
easy flow of information to help employee provide best service to client .