G4S Employee Reviews

great place to work if you are studying
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Great place to work if you are studying, good work culture, great management, great training and experience. Do not expect a raise because the company doesn't give one.
Pros
Get to learn alot about security
Good company to start with
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON13 July 2016
I've been with G4S for almost 3 years now. They are a decent company to work for. Wages aren't good, though, and the benefits are okay. They only cover dental care, prescriptions and eye care. Any physical therapy, such as massages or chiropractic care, is not covered. Management is decent. They try to help you out as best they can. There aren't much incentives. For example; no raises, hard to get onto a better paying site. Overall, they're a decent company to work for if you are just starting out.
Pros
Good jobs, decent management
Cons
Wages are too low, sometimes you don't get enough hours
Job Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2016
There is no such thing as job security at G4S.

working with the company was fun. However, when there are issues arising within a contract, the area managers tend to turn the other cheek and allow the problems to persist, just to save a big contract.

My biggest complaint about G4S is the company allowing someone with no security or supervisory experience to take over the Team Lead position for G4S. The contract is huge for G4S as it is a global contract. However, the individual creates a hazardous work environment, which has caused many people to leave and seek shifts elsewhere.

the biggest pro i have from the company: being able to learn and grow as a security officer. I have learned a lot working with a gentleman who has more than 25 years of security experience. I can say that I can do my job with confidence with all that he has taught me.
Pros
Office staff is the best
Cons
allowing someone with no security or management experience take on the title of supervisor, which is currently happening on one contract.
Low Wages, Low Opportunities, High Turnover
CAHSO- Health Sciences North (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 August 2016
Management was absolutely terrible. Had a few occasions where I had finished a set of shifts, (working full time) and on my days off was told I had to work at other sites for coverage as they had no staff. When I declined, management had threatened to let me go due to not working other sites when I was already scheduled full-time for a specific site. When investigated by the Union, it was ruled in my favor due to good evidence. Union process took ages unfortunately. Management kept no records of any call-ins to keep up seniority and it created a whole new can of worms for many employees.

Job security was always uncertain. First you had to apply for the company, then apply for a specific site, then if you got a specific site started working but then could be removed at any moment and sent to another site without any explanation at all and lack of proper training.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Interesting Tasks, Unpredictable
Cons
Management, Unethical Practices
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2016
Daily work is somewhat repetitive
Good job to do
Not much room for advancement
Majority of employees start as part time
Full time is one of the only few advancements
Being pulled up to a supervisor position is rare
Good co-workers
Good work environment
Most of management is great to deal with
Pros
Paid Lunch Breaks
Cons
Workload can vary at times, somewhat stressfull
fun and flexible workplace , no advancement opportunities
SECURITY GUARD (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 January 2017
needs improvement when it comes to benefits and getting the guard's their coverage.

no chances for career advancement.
Pros
job flexibility.
Cons
boring, far, low salary.
Productive and cooperative
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 December 2016
-Continued training and improvement professional setting.

-Life and work balance policies.

-Supportive environment
Pros
Responsive management
Cons
Do not listen to guards requests
Retail Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 December 2016
Typical days at work are slow depending on the site and time of year, mall locations are obviously busier in summer months and around holidays. Learned nothing. Management is nearly impossible to get in contact with if there is an issue. When there is an opening for a site closer to home they wont give it to you. If you commute by public transportation do NOT work for this company.
Pros
Decent Co-workers
Cons
Bad Managment
Good people, recycled quickly
Senior Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2016
They were a good place to work, just not the best fit for a career. They train, treat most of the employees consistently and don't have many good placements. This was the only place in temporary staff security that had fair benefits and where employees received accredited training. Pitty, I was slotted out of my job. It didn't sit well with me how I was not included in that decision. I quit for an hour and wage reduction proposal. It was a substantial change that I couldn't handle and was forced upon me. The people are trying hard to be good, but it's rare to have anyone stay employed by them for long periods. The people who do, think as everyone else as filler for someone better. That was my impression of this organization in Calgary. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in security staffing organizations.
Pros
Free accedited training, has benifits (dental, health, etc.), temp work, continued to try to be better
Cons
Temp work, completely unqualified staff after contract, bad uniforms that you have to buy, uncontrolled and/or unplanned promises occurred often
Poorly managed
Security Guard/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
No work life balance your just a number my way or the highway kind of company. Uniforms are terrible someone else has worn it and you have to pay for it ,lousy shifts .Like every other low paying job they expect the best but aren't willing to be flexible on anything.
Pros
Xmas bonus
Cons
Low pay long shifts
Great company to gain experience
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 January 2017
G4S is the world's largest security company and as such has a wide range of operations. If you are interested in law enforcement, being a security guard gives you a good opportunity in dealing with many people and handling conflict situations.
Pros
You gain experience in dealing with high volumes of people
Cons
Low pay, no advancement opportunities
I worked at Karmax Heavy stamping for 11 years ,12 hour shifts on weekends and filled in when someone would be absent. Karmax was great to wor
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 April 2016
My typical day consisted of regulations of workers and guests into a Car Parts Factory, Handling phone calls ,Log in and out Transport Trucks Patrol inside and out of Warehouse. a 12 hour shift. I learned Safety regulations and how to handle an Emergency situation and CPR. The management treated me with respect. I worked alone in my own security booth but there was another guard at another location which I communicated with throughout my shift. The hardest part of the job probably was the foot patrols as the warehouse was big. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning all the skills of becoming a Security Guard.
Pros
The salary, 12 hour shifts, there was always lots to keep me busy.
Its a job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2016
Working with this company is alright, I do think management needs some work. They're very unprofessional and also I think the guards aren't paid well enough for the type of hours they work (which are ridiculous by the way). The coworkers are usually the same, you either have the real serious ones or the laid back ones just trying to get through the day. I do love that you get to work kind of independently in a sense that you don't have management over your back; but you may or may not have a coworker to have your back in case of a situation. I think I learned to make the most of this job while I'm here because working overnight leaves you with a lot of dead time to figure out life or learn other things while on the job. I think majority of the reason people choose to work here is because it does provide you with the hours you might need. So overall i'd say working with this company is alright. Its a job at the end of the day and that is why the majority of guards are working here.
Pros
Benefits program
Cons
G4S has not been able to give me a full time position with in their organization or any advanement oppurtunitys.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON19 April 2016
As a security guard for the past 15 years I have had a lot of experience. The typical workday consists of foot patrols, log in and out transport trucks, regulations of workers and guests into Sobeys Warehouse , handling phone calls, My co workers are great to work with which is probably my most enjoyable part of the job. I have learned to about safety issues and how to handle emergency situations. The hardest part of the job I think is probably the foot patrols. Management has treated me with respect.
Pros
Working as a team with co workers.
Cons
Not enough job oppurtunity, not enough pay. no training for advancement, working with in my capacity.
G4s
Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2017
a typical day at work is always the same.
i learned that i do not want to work in the oil industry due to the fact i wasn't able to practices my skills. the management was alright but they never really encouraged us to do better.
my coworkers were all lazy.
sitting in the the vehicle all night with nothing to do.
being able to see wildlife.
Pros
wildlife
Cons
no motivation
not good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 August 2016
The job sites are the most enjoyable part of working for this
company.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them. Salary for the hours and duties you perform during a 12 hr. rotating shifts not worth it.
Pros
meet nice people on job sites
Avoid at all costs!!!!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 September 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them.Never expect overtime, G4S is very proud of their cheap tacky approach.
Most nonsense I have ever saw in one place, it is a regular daily thing for the supervisor to threaten to fire you on a regular basis and the human resources person does not care to intervene. The scheduling department was incredibly inconsistent and tough to reach. There were a few times where they would schedule you for a shift that didn't exist or was canceled. The Royal Ottawa is particularly the worse place to work!! The Supervisor is a Complete idiot who believes that he knows it all and is not willing to clearly hear your outcome(What ever this maybe). He should be removed from this Company! I believe that he is Complacent with his surroundings and clearly doesn't understand or care about how to manage staff at this site!!! Again if you see this Job posting please i urge All to Stay Away!!! Its a Complete waste of your time and resources.
Pros
None!!!!!
Cons
Supervisor changing the Schedule without informing staff!! Low Pay!! Duties are Minimal!!
Ok company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2017
Not a bad job, bad management but lots of room for growth. Good oppurtunities and great place to begin security, not to end it.
Lenel Support (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 August 2016
The work culture is friendly and welcoming. People bond to each other as a team. one team one goal, safety first. The best management team i have seen so far in the company.
Awful place to work!!!!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2016
This is probably the worst security company to work for, they have real pride treating their employees like slaves, and management has no clue what they are doing. Do not work for this company they will leave you in pain.