G4S Employee Reviews

Productive and Motivated
Toronto Mobile Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
Everyday at work should be a productive day. In order to have such, I follow a pattern. I start my days with a To-Do List. Some are menial jobs, which can be performed by the end of the work day. Others are long term goals where I am required to put in the effort daily in order to achieve them. I push myself to stay patient through the emotional challenges that come with work. I schedule short and appropriate social time with co-workers in order to build good working rapport and keep myself refreshed.
Security industry
Mobile Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
For some reason in the field of security, regardless of where in the country you work, everyone seems to lack any sort of common sense, courtesy, and dignity toward each other. The job itself doesn't require any skill or trade yet most people in this field think they're working in the swat team! These people desperately need a reality check. Also the entire mobile team in g4s including the supervisors all they do is steal gas while lying about other people stealing gas and blaming others. I've never met so many twisted and mentally sick people in my life while working here.
Love working for them
Security Guard/Team Lead/Mobile (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB/Calgary21 September 2016
Helped out in Fort McMurray after the Wildfire worked with an amazing team starting from the top all the way to the lonely guards everybody was treated with respect. I miss it up there hope to go back soon. My camp job was paying 21 an hour my mobile pays a little less but I'm close to my family
Pros
Make friends see more of the province
Cons
Can be lobg hours away from home
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2016
Daily work is somewhat repetitive
Good job to do
Not much room for advancement
Majority of employees start as part time
Full time is one of the only few advancements
Being pulled up to a supervisor position is rare
Good co-workers
Good work environment
Most of management is great to deal with
Pros
Paid Lunch Breaks
Cons
Workload can vary at times, somewhat stressfull
okay training but the work environments were fun to work in
Security Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North York, ON5 October 2016
G4s helped me out a lot with being able to accommodate my working hours and the sites they sent me to were really great places to work in. My only issue with G4s was the scheduling department, it seemed like they only wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible instead of helping out when someone needed it.
Good company to start with
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON13 July 2016
I've been with G4S for almost 3 years now. They are a decent company to work for. Wages aren't good, though, and the benefits are okay. They only cover dental care, prescriptions and eye care. Any physical therapy, such as massages or chiropractic care, is not covered. Management is decent. They try to help you out as best they can. There aren't much incentives. For example; no raises, hard to get onto a better paying site. Overall, they're a decent company to work for if you are just starting out.
Pros
Good jobs, decent management
Cons
Wages are too low, sometimes you don't get enough hours
No respect for employees
Security Guard and Relief Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON30 June 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for. After 8 years I get passed over for the supervisor position and then I'm told my 40 hour a week day job has been reduced to 2 12 hour day shifts on the weekend. Had also worked as relief supervisor and they give the job to a person that doesn't have a clue.
Pros
dealing with the general public on a daily basis
Cons
Poor management
great learning curves and has benfits/union
Loss Prevention Officer{trainer} (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON27 September 2016
busy, hard work, great amount of paper work/ reports, hardest part of the job is working with individuals who may not work as hard as you or care as much, but if you are able to focus just on yourself, all will be ok.
very fast pace enviorment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON11 November 2016
lots of walking, people with different problems, hardest part was 12hr shifts & being a by-law officer, enjoyable part was good co-workers, management needs better communications skills
Pros
switch shifts
Cons
low pay, unappreciated, long hrs
team envirioment
coordinator of security services (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON26 November 2016
Enjoyed my time as a guard at the hospital with G4S a lot training, met a lot of people,matured as person.
Moved up the corperate fairly quickly. Overall great company.
Pros
on going training, room for advancement
Cons
not a great pay
Avoid like crazy
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible. The job is dull and exhausting with short breaks. And they deduct a lot of money from pay and will release your pay late. There are lots of other security companies to work at, avoid this one.
Pros
Lived close to place assigned
Cons
There's nothing good in this job.
Former by-law compliance (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 August 2016
Do not apply, this will be the worst mistake of your life. If I could rate this with 0 stars I would. I do not recommend anyone applying here. Poor management and poor staff. Do not ever ever apply here.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this job
Best Job i ever had!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 October 2016
great sites that allowed a great balance between life and work. Well trained and prepared for every site......I would recommend them to anyone looking to gain experience in the law enforcement feild!
Pros
Great Sites
Cons
Cant think of any
Low Wages, Low Opportunities, High Turnover
CAHSO- Health Sciences North (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 August 2016
Management was absolutely terrible. Had a few occasions where I had finished a set of shifts, (working full time) and on my days off was told I had to work at other sites for coverage as they had no staff. When I declined, management had threatened to let me go due to not working other sites when I was already scheduled full-time for a specific site. When investigated by the Union, it was ruled in my favor due to good evidence. Union process took ages unfortunately. Management kept no records of any call-ins to keep up seniority and it created a whole new can of worms for many employees.

Job security was always uncertain. First you had to apply for the company, then apply for a specific site, then if you got a specific site started working but then could be removed at any moment and sent to another site without any explanation at all and lack of proper training.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Interesting Tasks, Unpredictable
Cons
Management, Unethical Practices
Job Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2016
There is no such thing as job security at G4S.

working with the company was fun. However, when there are issues arising within a contract, the area managers tend to turn the other cheek and allow the problems to persist, just to save a big contract.

My biggest complaint about G4S is the company allowing someone with no security or supervisory experience to take over the Team Lead position for G4S. The contract is huge for G4S as it is a global contract. However, the individual creates a hazardous work environment, which has caused many people to leave and seek shifts elsewhere.

the biggest pro i have from the company: being able to learn and grow as a security officer. I have learned a lot working with a gentleman who has more than 25 years of security experience. I can say that I can do my job with confidence with all that he has taught me.
Pros
Office staff is the best
Cons
allowing someone with no security or management experience take on the title of supervisor, which is currently happening on one contract.
G4S Working Environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
G4S is one of the leading security company located in heart of North America (Toronto).

- Great working environment.
- Management team is excellent motivator.
- Hands on training, One of the best instructors and teacher is industry. Training such as CPR, handling situations in stress environment, leadership training, etc.
- Individual employees are valued in company from junior to senior level.
Pros
Amazing Character, integrity, moral building experience.
Cons
Long working hours, Which i love.
not good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 August 2016
The job sites are the most enjoyable part of working for this
company.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them. Salary for the hours and duties you perform during a 12 hr. rotating shifts not worth it.
Pros
meet nice people on job sites
supportive and friendly work place
Concierge, Patrol (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
management offer positive support and help to develop employees , friendly work place and helpful team members
easy flow of information to help employee provide best service to client .
Great company to work for!
Operations Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC1 November 2016
G4S employs the best people, develops their competence, provide opportunity and inspires them to apply company values.
Pros
Teamwork and collaboration
Cons
24/7 operation - irregular shifts
Just a job.
Manager/Mobile Patrol Unit Hamilton/Niagara Region (Current Employee) –  Hamilton/Niagara Regions6 June 2016
Enjoy the work despite the poor support from upper management. Workplace culture thrives at a lower level with a lot of employee dissatisfaction.
Pros
My position allows me to schedule shifts including my own.
Cons
Low paying. Lots of stress due to low support levels from support services.