G4S

1.5K reviews

G4S Employee Reviews

Good management
Agent service à la clientèle (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 26, 2015
People r always helping you to learn new things every day very help ful management learning new things everyday was thé best part of this company
Pros
Good friendly atmosphere
Working at G4S, is a Company where you learn, that you can always take Pride in your Job!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 14, 2015
G4S, is one of the Best Security Companies I have ever worked for, and would like the opportunity to work with them again.
Not recommended
security guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
It really depends on the site you get but if you are not lucky. You will not have a fun time working.
Nothing fun ..... ........ .......... .............. .................
Pros
you are employed
Cons
poor treatment of emloyees
flight center at kearl
Screener and Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2015
It is a very good employer .I learned to be more professional with G4S.The management encourage us all the time to show professionalism with clients. My co-workers are brothers and sisters to me. The hardest part of the job is when we go outside under the weather of -40 to go scan vehicles. when I am by myself in the bird house to wait for the vehicles to come before I scan them and let them go by pressing the botton .
Worst company to work for!
Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 27, 2015
The management does not care about staff, and will do anything to make themselves look good. very unorganized and demeaning.
Reliable Co-workers to count on
Operation Supervisor (Toronto Community Housing) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 22, 2015
With G4s Secure Solution i was the Operation Supervisor for Toronto Community Housing Corp. My Tasks were to provide any guidance to my team of 60 guards. Creating their schedules and over looking the contract for the Manger regarding everything, guards complaints, client needs to taking book off and vacation approvals.
Good part-time job for college/university students
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2015
G4S has a bad reputation, there's no question about that. However, I enjoyed working with them for several years while I was in university. I had 24 hours a week at a permanent site and they frequently asked if I wanted more hours if I had the time. Working as a security guard is not physically strenuous and there is a lot of downtime to tackle readings/homework- as long as you still do your job, they're fine with that.

I do not recommend this job or company if you aspire to become a police officer or work in other areas of law enforcement.

Hours are there if you want them, and management in Hamilton was reasonable to deal with and work around other commitments. The only security guards that did not appreciate the job or respect management were those who want to make being a security guard with G4S their career.

The salary is generally minimum wage or just above. The wage does not often match the site duties. For example, someone sitting in an office with free access to the internet, a refrigerator, who has to conduct periodic foot patrols may earn the same wage as someone working in a low-income housing area who has to deal with drug addicts, intoxicated/high people, and difficult tenants.
Pros
Lots of downtime
Cons
Low wage
Greeting new faces to the buiding
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2015
Management and Supervisor are very supportive and helpful when making hard decisions. The most enjoyable thing about my job was being able to learn new skills and work ethnics from my colleagues.
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Average security company with horrible impatient people working the phone
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto,OnSeptember 2, 2015
The job placements were okay and decently flexible but whenever there was a mess up or inconvenience the people working the phones for clock-in/clock-out were extremely rude.
Wouldnt recomend it
security guard (Former Employee) –  northern ontarioAugust 20, 2015
low pay...bad administration and you have no chance of advancement.They don't care about Northern Ontario. there will never be raises.

Want to know more about G4S?

Ask a question
company
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 27, 2015
Working as a floater. Build a schedule to my needs. Able to work different sites and experience different things.

Co workers are friendly and fine.
Very Poor Management
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJuly 8, 2015
A day at the Hospital can be very hectic and dangerous sometimes. My fellow guards and I would patrol hospital property, respond to alarms and distress calls, and manage entrances to the hospital lobby as well as the ER. My co workers were all good people. Our supervisors would often lay some of their responsibilities on us; for example, scheduling. We would often have to find people ourselves to cover days we would need off for other commitments. The hardest part of the job would be managing the ER desk, where many sick and disgruntled people would be difficult to deal with. But professionalism is key and you must treat all others equally. The most enjoyable part of the job was patrolling with my fellow guards and responding to calls. This provided some excitement/relaxation while on duty. I would always come home with an interesting story if I was on patrol that day. The main issue I have with G4S, is that after 9 months of working there, I still did not receive my protective vest to prevent a potential stab wound. This made me very uneasy as there were numerous instances where we stopped and searched a suspicious patron and found weapons and tools; or dealt with a larger individual trying to cause us physical harm.
Pros
Socialize with the public, many people are grateful for your services.
Cons
No protective gear issued to me after 9 months.
Very challenging mentally & physically
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 7, 2015
Totally different than my business career. A refreshing change after 7 years of retirement.
G4S is a very good company and has treated me fairly.
Upward mobility in the Peterborough area is my goal...personnel management and development of Security contracts is my next goal.
Pros
Four days on four days off.
Cons
The upward mobility seems to be their biggest challenge for the Peterborough area.
Excellent Company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Christina Lake, ABJuly 5, 2015
Enjoyed the time in camp as a security guard. The atmosphere was comfortable and the quarters were nice. With a gym and good food and a 2 week on 2 week off schedule, it was great. Strong support from management made my senior guard position a good one.
Amazing experience, horrendous pay & benefits for job expectation
Hospital Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 2, 2015
G4S provides great experience for people seeking to further their careers in the security / law enforcement industry. Unfortunately the pay and job security is so poor that it makes it extremely difficult to balance work and life.
Pros
Great knowledge and experience
Cons
Poor Pay
Great place to work at that understood work life balance
Security Personnel (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 21, 2015
I was working here for 4 years in which time they always placed me in places I could be of most use. I was challenged intellectually and physically to ensure the safety of the location. They accommodated my needs to work daily wether it was in the daytime or night. I was given the proper training to learn all the key requirements of each location; security camera training, alarm system training etc. Great co-workers that also shared similar passion and journey in life as myself. The hardest part was maintaining a proper sleep schedule when I was working overnight. The best part was the locations I was at, very slow paced and calm.
No moving forward
Gordon Baker Rd (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 17, 2015
A typical day of work is very slow, the co-workers are the best part of it all, supervisors... Not so much.
I learned quite allot working here, manage two way radios, the typical run of the mill site work and mobile. Management also isn't the best,the people who work in the offices rarely pick up your calls and when they do they're usually in a meeting or their voicemails are always full so there is nothing you can do about it, the hardest part of the job is not wanting to quit on the spot, when your desperate for money and the job is the only thing keeping you going, its hard.
And to say the last part of it all... The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers, some I've made friends with, gone out of my way to see them in person and to hang out every now and again. So thats probably the best part of it all.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Supervisors, Management, head office staff, pay rate
Good - But Advancement Opportunities Limited
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
The Job at G4S was great. I have learnt various useful skills such as being vigilant, and identifying any theft, as well as steps we can take to massively prevent them, including cc cameras, on site vigilance, as well as communicating with fellow officers to maintain and ensure the safety of people and product.

My most enjoyable part of the job was in training others as I have trained over 20+ security officers and helped coach them be confident in their roles.

Although I love the job and am giving it my all, I would like to switch to a Financial Representative role for the better pay, and more importantly for the opportunity to advance further, and the opportunity to utilize my certifications and degree in Finance and Investment.
Already reviewed
Access Control Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 10, 2015
I have already reviewed this company it is the same as G4S Secure Solutions. It was an okay place to work. You were moved around a lot if you did something that the client didn't like. a lot of which were things that security guards are not required to do. Like delivering final bills to hotel gets and giving each room a newspaper.
Pros
can get good pay
Cons
boring
good company but not enough work
Front Desk, Control Room, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  imperial oilJune 2, 2015
good company but not enough work
good people that really consider the needs of the quards as well as of course the clients.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not enough work