G4S Employee Reviews

Productive and Motivated
Toronto Mobile Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2016
Everyday at work should be a productive day. In order to have such, I follow a pattern. I start my days with a To-Do List. Some are menial jobs, which can be performed by the end of the work day. Others are long term goals where I am required to put in the effort daily in order to achieve them. I push myself to stay patient through the emotional challenges that come with work. I schedule short and appropriate social time with co-workers in order to build good working rapport and keep myself refreshed.
Love working for them
Security Guard/Team Lead/Mobile (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB/CalgarySeptember 21, 2016
Helped out in Fort McMurray after the Wildfire worked with an amazing team starting from the top all the way to the lonely guards everybody was treated with respect. I miss it up there hope to go back soon. My camp job was paying 21 an hour my mobile pays a little less but I'm close to my family
Pros
Make friends see more of the province
Cons
Can be lobg hours away from home
Great for over-time
Cash Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 10, 2016
I typically worked graveyard shifts. Hard to maintain a personal life but the money was good, and the people were colourful. Always overtime so the pay cheque was always nice
Job Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2016
There is no such thing as job security at G4S.

working with the company was fun. However, when there are issues arising within a contract, the area managers tend to turn the other cheek and allow the problems to persist, just to save a big contract.

My biggest complaint about G4S is the company allowing someone with no security or supervisory experience to take over the Team Lead position for G4S. The contract is huge for G4S as it is a global contract. However, the individual creates a hazardous work environment, which has caused many people to leave and seek shifts elsewhere.

the biggest pro i have from the company: being able to learn and grow as a security officer. I have learned a lot working with a gentleman who has more than 25 years of security experience. I can say that I can do my job with confidence with all that he has taught me.
Pros
Office staff is the best
Cons
allowing someone with no security or management experience take on the title of supervisor, which is currently happening on one contract.
Security industry
Mobile Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2016
For some reason in the field of security, regardless of where in the country you work, everyone seems to lack any sort of common sense, courtesy, and dignity toward each other. The job itself doesn't require any skill or trade yet most people in this field think they're working in the swat team! These people desperately need a reality check. Also the entire mobile team in g4s including the supervisors all they do is steal gas while lying about other people stealing gas and blaming others. I've never met so many twisted and mentally sick people in my life while working here.
Avoid at all costs!!!!
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 6, 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them.Never expect overtime, G4S is very proud of their cheap tacky approach.
Most nonsense I have ever saw in one place, it is a regular daily thing for the supervisor to threaten to fire you on a regular basis and the human resources person does not care to intervene. The scheduling department was incredibly inconsistent and tough to reach. There were a few times where they would schedule you for a shift that didn't exist or was canceled. The Royal Ottawa is particularly the worse place to work!! The Supervisor is a Complete idiot who believes that he knows it all and is not willing to clearly hear your outcome(What ever this maybe). He should be removed from this Company! I believe that he is Complacent with his surroundings and clearly doesn't understand or care about how to manage staff at this site!!! Again if you see this Job posting please i urge All to Stay Away!!! Its a Complete waste of your time and resources.
Pros
None!!!!!
Cons
Supervisor changing the Schedule without informing staff!! Low Pay!! Duties are Minimal!!
Productive and fast paced environment
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 5, 2016
Its fun to work at G4S but the work load is manageable. We learned many things through the experience and skills. Its good to work with the co-worker and the work environment is really good.
Just ok
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2016
It is just a routine, monotonous, day to day job with very little to learn and grow. I am a creative person who would like to do work in my field which I specialize for.
There's nothing good in this job.
Former by-law compliance (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 26, 2016
Do not apply, this will be the worst mistake of your life. If I could rate this with 0 stars I would. I do not recommend anyone applying here. Poor management and poor staff. Do not ever ever apply here.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this job
Low Wages, Low Opportunities, High Turnover
CAHSO- Health Sciences North (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONAugust 24, 2016
Management was absolutely terrible. Had a few occasions where I had finished a set of shifts, (working full time) and on my days off was told I had to work at other sites for coverage as they had no staff. When I declined, management had threatened to let me go due to not working other sites when I was already scheduled full-time for a specific site. When investigated by the Union, it was ruled in my favor due to good evidence. Union process took ages unfortunately. Management kept no records of any call-ins to keep up seniority and it created a whole new can of worms for many employees.

Job security was always uncertain. First you had to apply for the company, then apply for a specific site, then if you got a specific site started working but then could be removed at any moment and sent to another site without any explanation at all and lack of proper training.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Interesting Tasks, Unpredictable
Cons
Management, Unethical Practices
positive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 9, 2016
positive work finder easy access website positive in areas of location for work finding location and trades specialty work searching and general good website layout
Lenel Support (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 6, 2016
The work culture is friendly and welcoming. People bond to each other as a team. one team one goal, safety first. The best management team i have seen so far in the company.
good company to work
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 6, 2016
AT start of shift take a patrol of site . Make sure every entry and exit are secure. Take note of any special requirement from customer.
patrolling the area. making sure environment is safe
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  sqaure one mallAugust 4, 2016
good employers. enjoy working with this company.working with people. making sure environment is safe to work in. standing all day was on bad thing about this job
Pros
good hours
Cons
standing
Prejudice, illegal, low quality and under equipped company
Security guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 4, 2016
The uniforms do not comply with SSIA guidelines.
Pay is usually 13.50 an hour if your not in camp.
Never expect overtime, G4S is very proud of their cheap tacky approach.
Out of 14 days there was twelve where either 6 people were in a five seat capacity vehicle or ten people in an 8 person capacity vehicle.
Safety is a joke, they rant forever and curse the entire way through without mentioning the camp your staying in has a contaminated kitchen, electrical problems.
Accommodations are okay, but the safety person makes it rough by making the halls and cafeteria a no shoe zone. Imagine putting on your shoes 15 times a day.
The supervisors don't take their job seriously. I made a complaint about workplace harassment and was removed from the job site and left with no job.
G4S is full of clowns, if you don't wear face paint your in the wrong place
Pros
lunch is free but you will get sick every time chicken is served.
Cons
Verbal abuse, prejudice, SSIA non-compliance, policy that prevents security guards from doing security.
not good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 4, 2016
The job sites are the most enjoyable part of working for this
company.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them. Salary for the hours and duties you perform during a 12 hr. rotating shifts not worth it.
Pros
meet nice people on job sites
Avoid like crazy
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 29, 2016
Worst company I have ever worked for. Management is terrible. The job is dull and exhausting with short breaks. And they deduct a lot of money from pay and will release your pay late. There are lots of other security companies to work at, avoid this one.
Pros
Lived close to place assigned
Cons
Good company to start with
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONJuly 13, 2016
I've been with G4S for almost 3 years now. They are a decent company to work for. Wages aren't good, though, and the benefits are okay. They only cover dental care, prescriptions and eye care. Any physical therapy, such as massages or chiropractic care, is not covered. Management is decent. They try to help you out as best they can. There aren't much incentives. For example; no raises, hard to get onto a better paying site. Overall, they're a decent company to work for if you are just starting out.
Pros
Good jobs, decent management
Cons
Wages are too low, sometimes you don't get enough hours
productive
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 7, 2016
improved communication skills
stress management
developed interpersonnel skills
better customer service
the best part of the company is the its employes
No respect for employees
Security Guard and Relief Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONJune 30, 2016
The worst company I have ever worked for. After 8 years I get passed over for the supervisor position and then I'm told my 40 hour a week day job has been reduced to 2 12 hour day shifts on the weekend. Had also worked as relief supervisor and they give the job to a person that doesn't have a clue.
Pros
dealing with the general public on a daily basis
Cons
Poor management