G4S Employee Reviews in Canada

Its a job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 20, 2016
Working with this company is alright, I do think management needs some work. They're very unprofessional and also I think the guards aren't paid well enough for the type of hours they work (which are ridiculous by the way). The coworkers are usually the same, you either have the real serious ones or the laid back ones just trying to get through the day. I do love that you get to work kind of independently in a sense that you don't have management over your back; but you may or may not have a coworker to have your back in case of a situation. I think I learned to make the most of this job while I'm here because working overnight leaves you with a lot of dead time to figure out life or learn other things while on the job. I think majority of the reason people choose to work here is because it does provide you with the hours you might need. So overall i'd say working with this company is alright. Its a job at the end of the day and that is why the majority of guards are working here.
Pros
Benefits program
Cons
Slow with no achievements accomplished
Patient Watch Guard (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONFebruary 5, 2016
For this short term employment I did not enjoy. I felt that I was bullied where I was located with the company. For 12 hours I had to sit in a chair not able to move and watch patients that had been considered unstable and were placed on "forms." When a patient in the hospital is "formed" that means they have to be monitored all hours of the day and night till the form has expired or been removed.

The hardest part for me is the fact I was not able to move around and it being a very slow pace job. For the 12 hours we were only allowed to have one 30 minute break which was hard as well on the body.
Cons
Long hours with 1 short break, no stable hours, rude co-workers, no benefits, low wage
Not as good as they make it seem
security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
during my time here I've only seen guards come and go a lot don't stay due to the pay and treatment. some job require you to risk your safety and it goes unrecognized by G4s. they only promote WHO THEY LIKE not to the ones who deserve it. management treats employees bad with no cares for there personal life or family. they do not keep there word. and will remove you from a site for minimal reasons also THEY DON'T LIKE NATURAL LEADERS.
benefits
Cons
management
Great experience for furthering yourself in the security feild.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 16, 2016
I really enjoy my time with G4S because I enjoy the line of work and following the procedures day to day procedures. I learned lots about myself and the law enforcement and well as medical field. Our management is great as it is always willing to help and striving for us to become better guards through various training programs. The staff that we work with are all amazing people who have the same mindset and same goals. I would have to say the hardest part of the job and why I am now looking for other work in the amount we get paid. Being a subcontracted security company our wages really reflect the bidding process. The most enjoyable park of the job is being able to make a difference within the hospital and when you are appreciate for keeping staff out of harms way.
Pros
Exciting and fast work environment.
Cons
Wages being low
Good part-time job for college/university students
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2015
G4S has a bad reputation, there's no question about that. However, I enjoyed working with them for several years while I was in university. I had 24 hours a week at a permanent site and they frequently asked if I wanted more hours if I had the time. Working as a security guard is not physically strenuous and there is a lot of downtime to tackle readings/homework- as long as you still do your job, they're fine with that.

I do not recommend this job or company if you aspire to become a police officer or work in other areas of law enforcement.

Hours are there if you want them, and management in Hamilton was reasonable to deal with and work around other commitments. The only security guards that did not appreciate the job or respect management were those who want to make being a security guard with G4S their career.

The salary is generally minimum wage or just above. The wage does not often match the site duties. For example, someone sitting in an office with free access to the internet, a refrigerator, who has to conduct periodic foot patrols may earn the same wage as someone working in a low-income housing area who has to deal with drug addicts, intoxicated/high people, and difficult tenants.
Pros
Lots of downtime
Cons
Low wage
Challanging and rewarding
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 30, 2016
Security Manager,
A typical day at Garda would start with a meeting to see where everyone was at, what had happened the previous shift, and what to expect for the upcoming shift. Through the day I would delegate staff different responsibilities, meet with senior management, develope policy and proceedures, liase with outside agencies, assist staff, etc. The management was awesome, I felt very supported in my position and knew I had a great resourse in the senior management.
The most difficult part of this position was having to disciplin staff. I don't think anyone likes to be disciplined.
The best part of my duties was watching my employees succeed.
Pros
meeting new people, learning from some of the best, acheving goals
Cons
being on call, having to dismiss people from their positions.
Great teammates but poor management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2016
depending on which site you work, a typical day is either fun or boring - just make the environment conducive to your liking.

learned how not to operate in management, lacks vision, has little to no care or concern for guards or their well being/safety. more concerned with needs of clients rather than offer flexibility and support for staff.

great teammates - would not replace them at all!

hardest part of the job is being placed at a site with no form information concerning that specific work sites.

the most enjoyable part is having customers, residents or even clients showing more concern and or care, respect and appreciation for your time and work.
Pros
Nothing!
Not a comfortable environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  CanadaMarch 16, 2016
I worked here for a little bit and it was actually not bad at all until I met my night shift supervisor. I'm a sensitive person. Let's just say my first shift working with him, he belittled me and bullied me as an employee. Told me i shouldn't do it, I can't do it because I had a fear of ghosts. It got to the point where we had a fire alarm go off and he left me alone in the office. This was my first time training in the office and alone. I had people calling me every five minutes about it and when I tried to get to him he never answered. At the end I called my other supervisor to ask for help. When my night shift supervisor found out, he gave me trouble, not only in front of other employers but clients. I couldn't take being yelled at for asking for help after him belittling me all night and I snapped. Now I know, I was in the wrong because a client saw me snap but they didn't even give me a chance to explain myself. Instead they let me go. If a company is more concerned with performance than their employers then that company, to me, will fail. If you want steady hours and decent pay this is good, but be careful who you work with.
Pros
Benefits and steady hours
Cons
Bullies for employers
Clean environment
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2016
I have been working with this security company which i dedicate myself by working hard and by proving myself to others how i work so hard. I solve so many situation even when manager were around which they were so proud on me because how handle my job. The most part of my job i enjoy was dealing with drug addicted people who were smoking in the stairwells in business building which i manage to handle it and make the building clean and clear by dealing with the individual because of my communication skills.
Pros
free gifts
Cons
I worked at Karmax Heavy stamping for 11 years ,12 hour shifts on weekends and filled in when someone would be absent. Karmax was great to wor
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Milton, ONApril 19, 2016
My typical day consisted of regulations of workers and guests into a Car Parts Factory, Handling phone calls ,Log in and out Transport Trucks Patrol inside and out of Warehouse. a 12 hour shift. I learned Safety regulations and how to handle an Emergency situation and CPR. The management treated me with respect. I worked alone in my own security booth but there was another guard at another location which I communicated with throughout my shift. The hardest part of the job probably was the foot patrols as the warehouse was big. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning all the skills of becoming a Security Guard.
Pros
The salary, 12 hour shifts, there was always lots to keep me busy.
G4S has not been able to give me a full time position with in their organization or any advanement oppurtunitys.
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Milton, ONApril 19, 2016
As a security guard for the past 15 years I have had a lot of experience. The typical workday consists of foot patrols, log in and out transport trucks, regulations of workers and guests into Sobeys Warehouse , handling phone calls, My co workers are great to work with which is probably my most enjoyable part of the job. I have learned to about safety issues and how to handle emergency situations. The hardest part of the job I think is probably the foot patrols. Management has treated me with respect.
Pros
Working as a team with co workers.
Cons
Not enough job oppurtunity, not enough pay. no training for advancement, working with in my capacity.
Good people, recycled quickly
Senior Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 31, 2016
They were a good place to work, just not the best fit for a career. They train, treat most of the employees consistently and don't have many good placements. This was the only place in temporary staff security that had fair benefits and where employees received accredited training. Pitty, I was slotted out of my job. It didn't sit well with me how I was not included in that decision. I quit for an hour and wage reduction proposal. It was a substantial change that I couldn't handle and was forced upon me. The people are trying hard to be good, but it's rare to have anyone stay employed by them for long periods. The people who do, think as everyone else as filler for someone better. That was my impression of this organization in Calgary. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in security staffing organizations.
Pros
Free accedited training, has benifits (dental, health, etc.), temp work, continued to try to be better
Cons
Temp work, completely unqualified staff after contract, bad uniforms that you have to buy, uncontrolled and/or unplanned promises occurred often
Good company to start with
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ONJuly 13, 2016
I've been with G4S for almost 3 years now. They are a decent company to work for. Wages aren't good, though, and the benefits are okay. They only cover dental care, prescriptions and eye care. Any physical therapy, such as massages or chiropractic care, is not covered. Management is decent. They try to help you out as best they can. There aren't much incentives. For example; no raises, hard to get onto a better paying site. Overall, they're a decent company to work for if you are just starting out.
Pros
Good jobs, decent management
Cons
Wages are too low, sometimes you don't get enough hours
Very Enjoyable leaving me feeling productive.
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, ABMarch 29, 2016
There was always something to do and if I was done my work then I would usually ask for more. The day would start off at 6 a.m for 12 hour days and night shift was the same. A typical day was busy needing to organize and process over 100 temporary employees for their orientation. After that it was programming the person employee access cards and vehicle passes for the chip gates and doors. I was always in a two person team for the entire shift but also was alone near the end of the contract. I got along well with everyone. I very much enjoyed that job.
great people to work with and good hours to work
High Risk Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 25, 2016
i learned a lot working at G4S
Management could have been a lot better
had great co-workers
hardest part of my job was dealing with all the suicide attempts
the most enjoyable part is the interaction with the people
Pros
lots of hours to work
Cons
little pay and management is poor
lots of hours to work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 2, 2016
its okay place to work lots to learn and hours to work not the best pay and poor benefits. company does not really care about you but if your willing to work theres lots to do
G4S Working Environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
G4S is one of the leading security company located in heart of North America (Toronto).

- Great working environment.
- Management team is excellent motivator.
- Hands on training, One of the best instructors and teacher is industry. Training such as CPR, handling situations in stress environment, leadership training, etc.
- Individual employees are valued in company from junior to senior level.
Pros
Amazing Character, integrity, moral building experience.
Cons
Long working hours, Which i love.
ll
Technical Project Lead Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2016
Typical day starts at 8- 5. There are reviews from the previous day

G4S has remarkable people that works there . team players

The hardest part f the job is trying to get things done on the Budget that is available
Pros
Pleasant location
Cons
Salary very low
fun places and inrtactions with clients and customers
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 1, 2015
A typical day starts with signing on and be ,alert on the job, and getting briefed by the fellow guards and be on the monitors or patrols as the nature of the site.The hardest n part would be around 2'0 clock if its a night shift and than is the time to have a little
polite chat.
Pros
medical benefits
Cons
hard wage raises
Worked for G 4 S since Nov ; 24 / 09
Patrol Guard & Parking Enforcement (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Patrols of 2 condominiums common areas from all floors & garage levels . Also , parking enforcement visitor parking lots .
And by permission from the owners parking spot to ticket unauthorized vehicles .
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Work long hours week ends 12 hour shifts