G4S

1.6K reviews

G4S Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
hard to balance personal life with work life and terrible employee relations
Security Officer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 1, 2013
When i was hired I was informed that I would be placed in a full time position guaranteed, for the first month i worked for no more than 2 days . My last location there I had requested a location somewhat close to home as i was promised in the interview and I was placed at a location outside of the city on the opposite side of Calgary from me, my commute in the morning was an hour on the best day but usually ended up being close to 2 and a half hours. I worked 12 hour days which i was expecting in a security company but ended up spending 16 hours on average a day working and getting there/back then the rest sleeping so i could work the next day i didnt get to see my family for more that 5 minutes a day and when i saw them they were asleep. when i requested a closer location to home i was pulled off the location I was on and left without any work for 5 months even though i kept contacting checking on progress for new locations and nothing came of it until i received a letter in the mail that read: our records show that you have not worked for 5 months with us and we will assume that if you do not contact us before said date we will be terminating your employment. upon reading this i immediately sent an email to inform hr that I have been trying to get a shift with the company and that i would like to continue working with them but never received any confirmation that the email was even received so i went into the office to discuss the matter face to face to hear that they had apparently responded 3 times to my email however i had never received anything and they informed me that – more... my employment had been terminated and that my final check would be in 2 weeks later when i went in to pick my check the employee behind the desk couldnt find it and proceeded to tell me that it had been lost. it took them close to another month to find my check. – less
Very Poor Management
Security Guard (Former Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: Socialize with the public, many people are grateful for your services.
Cons: No protective gear issued to me after 9 months.
A day at the Hospital can be very hectic and dangerous sometimes. My fellow guards and I would patrol hospital property, respond to alarms and distress calls, and manage entrances to the hospital lobby as well as the ER. My co workers were all good people. Our supervisors would often lay some of their responsibilities on us; for example, scheduling. We would often have to find people ourselves to cover days we would need off for other commitments. The hardest part of the job would be managing the ER desk, where many sick and disgruntled people would be difficult to deal with. But professionalism is key and you must treat all others equally. The most enjoyable part of the job was patrolling with my fellow guards and responding to calls. This provided some excitement/relaxation while on duty. I would always come home with an interesting story if I was on patrol that day. The main issue I have with G4S, is that after 9 months of working there, I still did not receive my protective vest to prevent a potential stab wound. This made me very uneasy as there were numerous instances where we stopped and searched a suspicious patron and found weapons and tools; or dealt with a larger individual trying to cause us physical harm.
Good part-time job for college/university students
Security Guard (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 18, 2015
Pros: Lots of downtime
Cons: Low wage
G4S has a bad reputation, there's no question about that. However, I enjoyed working with them for several years while I was in university. I had 24 hours a week at a permanent site and they frequently asked if I wanted more hours if I had the time. Working as a security guard is not physically strenuous and there is a lot of downtime to tackle readings/homework- as long as you still do your job, they're fine with that.

I do not recommend this job or company if you aspire to become a police officer or work in other areas of law enforcement.

Hours are there if you want them, and management in Hamilton was reasonable to deal with and work around other commitments. The only security guards that did not appreciate the job or respect management were those who want to make being a security guard with G4S their career.

The salary is generally minimum wage or just above. The wage does not often match the site duties. For example, someone sitting in an office with free access to the internet, a refrigerator, who has to conduct periodic foot patrols may earn the same wage as someone working in a low-income housing area who has to deal with drug addicts, intoxicated/high people, and difficult tenants.
Fast paced aviation security and customer service focused environment
SERVICE DELIVERY MANAGER (Current Employee), Richmond, BCMarch 11, 2013
Pros: people management, diversity in the workplace, daily challenges
Cons: limited growth within the company
Typically I manage 30 - 40 screening offers daily in a unionized environment in the Pre Board Screening checkpoints at Vancouver International Airport.
Within the 30 - 40 staff I manage, I have 13 direct reports.
I have learnt to be a strong manager but also fair and just. Through respect, teamwork and communication I am able to conduct a successful and productive screening process for the public who are using Civil Aviation for travel.
My most favourite part of this job is dealing with and meeting new people from a hugely diverse background - staff and customers alike. Each day is a challenge but challenges drive me to succeed. The most enjoyable part of the job is creating and maintaing a harmonious atmosphere which in itself lends to a safe and pleasurable pre flight scenario for the travelling public.
OVerall a good experience
Security Guard (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 27, 2014
Pros: 12 hour shifts allowed more time off
Cons: night shifts, dangerous work for inadequate pay, really useless union
Worked at Sick Kids Hospital. There was no "typical day" at work. Everyday/night something different happened, many things unimaginable. I learned how to better deal with children and adults alike, and how to value more life. Co-workers were fine, most of them very lazy which ended up pushing more work on others. Great people nonetheless.

The pay isn't horrible but honestly not even close to what should be earned in similar positions.

Hardest part of the job was to keep relatively calm and make sound decisions during a high energy emergency situation, while maintaining a professional demeanor and give the appearance that the situation was handled.

The most enjoyable part of it was the enormous quantity of times you help people, being it directions to the right ward or assisting a mother with their child while they were experiencing a seizure.
Meeting people of different background on daily basis
Security Guard (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: bonus of $100 on christmas
Cons: sometime 12 hours long shifts
In g4s as security guard provided security to the employees of the company in downtown building of Dundee Life Plaza, Husky, Century Park Place,. Prohibit any illegal entry in the building or any illegal activities like drinking trespassing and so on. I learned to be patient against angry clients for the better of my safety and people around me. Management was really helpful and approachable on daily basis constant communication was required with building manager on daily basis related to problems within the building. Most of the site I was workig alone but did work with other guards on few occasions communication is important and they were very helpful and approachable. I think it will have to be working alone was the hardest part of the job. I enjoyed meeting people from different cultural background and differents statuses.
unprofessional management
g4s employee but willig to escape (Current Employee), EdmontonMarch 4, 2013
This company may have good reputation outside Edmonton and worldwide too but here in Edmonton its one of the worst security company I ever wored with I did not quiet or they lay me off but they just refuse and pretend there is no site for you specially when you refuse to do unsafe job during winter storms like shoveling outside a huge amount of snow or you refuse to give up your dignity and to be used as a tool not human being don't specially apply at shell Scott Ford there are bunch of gang group of senior workers they hate new hire if u don't blieve ask how many guard been there just for last six months I love this company first time I applied with but am disappointed with the office system here in Edmonton but I hope the head office will listen to many guards and care about us the same way they care about there contracts

June 18, 2013

I work for G4S Edmonton and they are a very good management and very professional. They treat you with respect,and schedule you with no problems. I don't know what this person is talking about because the office is always very professional and I never have problems with my schedule. I am always treated fairly and you are always given good shifts with days off when you need it. They help and listen if you have problems if you have them. You are part of a really good group hear and very good in the city of Edmonton.

June 18, 2013

I have worked at my site for over 5 years and have seen many management changes at this branch and they are all for the better!! The new management that has been there for the past year or so treat you with respect, fairly, help you with any questions, and want to place you at the best site that works with yoru schedule. you don't find that with many security companies (coming from BC) so I am very happy where I am. Alot of companies play favorites with thier guards but this branch doesn't. You are treated fairly and get to work at really good sites in downtown edmonton airport shell scotford or Td banks. many good good sites to choose from!

No moving forward
Gordon Baker Rd (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 17, 2015
Pros: Lunch
Cons: Supervisors, Management, head office staff, pay rate
A typical day of work is very slow, the co-workers are the best part of it all, supervisors... Not so much.
I learned quite allot working here, manage two way radios, the typical run of the mill site work and mobile. Management also isn't the best,the people who work in the offices rarely pick up your calls and when they do they're usually in a meeting or their voicemails are always full so there is nothing you can do about it, the hardest part of the job is not wanting to quit on the spot, when your desperate for money and the job is the only thing keeping you going, its hard.
And to say the last part of it all... The most enjoyable part of the job are the co-workers, some I've made friends with, gone out of my way to see them in person and to hang out every now and again. So thats probably the best part of it all.
Good - But Advancement Opportunities Limited
Concierge (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
The Job at G4S was great. I have learnt various useful skills such as being vigilant, and identifying any theft, as well as steps we can take to massively prevent them, including cc cameras, on site vigilance, as well as communicating with fellow officers to maintain and ensure the safety of people and product.

My most enjoyable part of the job was in training others as I have trained over 20+ security officers and helped coach them be confident in their roles.

Although I love the job and am giving it my all, I would like to switch to a Financial Representative role for the better pay, and more importantly for the opportunity to advance further, and the opportunity to utilize my certifications and degree in Finance and Investment.
Exciting yet lonely for family
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Ft. McMurray, AlbertaMay 20, 2014
Pros: the job was new to me. camp life is great. i didn't have to cook or clean. just work.
Cons: being away from the family, my job was very boring, nothing to do except wash the floors and dust.
This was a trial job of working in a fly-in/fly-out camp.
The job was just ok with the potential to be a great job. The company was not set up properly to have 4 administrators working there at that point in time.
One part of the job I really enjoyed was working with the native people. This was a new and exciting challenge for me. If I were to go north again, I would definitely like to pursue this part of the job again.
For 2 administrators, the job was fulfilling and very busy. For the other 2 it was not. However, in time, I'm sure that all four positions would be very much needed.
productive, efficient
Security Officer (Site Supervisor) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2012
Pros: lots of free time
Cons: long hours
A typical work day is that you are either dealing with a fire alarm, leak problem, ambulance emergency, or a trespass. I learnt how to be proactive and to react fast in all sort of emergencies situations. The management is nice, they listen to your concerns and keep that in their record. I found that easy to deal with co-workers. The secret is to find out what type of person they are and to be friend with them accordingly. The hardest part of the job is that you are called in the middle of the night sometimes to cover a shift for a late or absent guard. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you have lots of free time. You can use this time to actually improve your skills and to be an excellent employee.
A very nice and friendly place to work.
Security Guard (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 27, 2012
Pros: i was given a site i was familar with, the people that i was working for were very friendly, i learned different ways on how to better my experiences of a security guard.
I am happy that I got to work here because it was a very friendly company that I worked with when I first got to Winnipeg, Manitoba. I am glad that I got the chance to work here and wish that I was still working here. Some of the things that I liked well I was working here was I learned different ways on how to do my patrols, I was given a site that I was familar with when I was working Security in Edmonton, AB, learned how to do better report writing and the caretakers were very friendly and cleaned up things right away when I called them.
horrible company
security guard (Current Employee), toronto, ontarioDecember 29, 2012
Pros: absolutely none
Cons: pay rates, no raises, not given proper breaks. the list goes on
absolutely noneoronto office and all this company does is take advantage of the guards. Been working with g4s toronto branch for 4 yrs and over the 4 yrs i have gotten 1 raise of 50 cents. They just don't care about any of the guards .I work at a TD bank and have absolutely no means of protection. No vest no baton no cuffs no nothing. I'm not even getting proper breaks. Sorry to say but i would not advise anyone to work for them. Payroll messes up often, scheduling omg i don't want to get into how often they mess up. If any management is reading this start treating us guards with the respect we deserve. Stop taking advantage of us.
Great place to work at that understood work life balance
Security Personnel (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 21, 2015
I was working here for 4 years in which time they always placed me in places I could be of most use. I was challenged intellectually and physically to ensure the safety of the location. They accommodated my needs to work daily wether it was in the daytime or night. I was given the proper training to learn all the key requirements of each location; security camera training, alarm system training etc. Great co-workers that also shared similar passion and journey in life as myself. The hardest part was maintaining a proper sleep schedule when I was working overnight. The best part was the locations I was at, very slow paced and calm.
Dynamic work environment that involved attention to detail
Security Guard/ Systems Monitor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 1, 2014
Pros: easy, comfortable
Cons: can be boring at times
Working for this company for the past five years, I've encountered and witnessed many things that I never thought I would have seen on the job. Working for this company has also given me the oppertunity to proive my work ethic in an unsupervised environment where I am left alone in an entire downtown building for six hours of the night.

The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am trusted with many responsibilities throughout my shift, and at the end of each night, it is gratifying to know that I have kept the building and its contents safe and secure at all times.
G4S Security-over all good
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2015
Pros: continental shifts
Cons: longs days, poor wage, lack of equipment
The days are 12 hour days. Duties include: report writing, physical restraints on mental health patients, scheduling for security team, supervising seven other people, key/access control, high risk guard on mental health floor and delegation.

I learned how to properly manage a big team and how to work together with nursing staff on site. My co-workers are the favorite part of my job. they are dependable and I have assisted in molding them to what they are today.

the hardest part of my job in the lack of proper equipment that is supplied to us. Also, for the job we do, we do not make adequate wages.
My workplace is very team oriented and great to work with
Security Guard (Current Employee), Timmins, ONJuly 4, 2013
Pros: our security supervisor for our site is very understandable and flexible when time off is needed.
Cons: the days can be long working 12 hour shifts but its not too bad.
Im contracted out to a Mine and work 12 hour nightshifts. It's fairly quiet on the site now since the 2010 shut down and hundreds of workers were laid off. When the site was booming is was constantly busy. Everyday we learn new things as time changes things get upgraded but its great to learn new things.I work with a great team, we all work together to get tasks done. i enjoy the people that I work with, after being with a company for a few years they become family.
Gross mismanagement and incompetence at upper management level, totally disconnected from reality of worksite.
Acting Area Manager /HSE Officer (Former Employee), KOSPDecember 21, 2013
Pros: networking
Cons: completely incompetent upper management, deliberate mismanagement of contract by calgary/edmonton offices.
Enjoyed working with professionals like Fluor and IOL, but head office in Calgary/Edmonton were completely and utterly incapable of managing a contract of this nature. Deliberate and belligerent mismanagement resulted in excessive turnover, low morale, improper hiring and training practices, and rampant breach of contract.
flight center at kearl
Screener and Security Officer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2015
It is a very good employer .I learned to be more professional with G4S.The management encourage us all the time to show professionalism with clients. My co-workers are brothers and sisters to me. The hardest part of the job is when we go outside under the weather of -40 to go scan vehicles. when I am by myself in the bird house to wait for the vehicles to come before I scan them and let them go by pressing the botton .
WORKING AT G4S WAS FUN AND ENJOYABLE
Financial Controller (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 16, 2012
Pros: we are very free to work with miniumum supervision from the management
Cons: not much to report
I was attached to the Finance Department at G4S Secure Solutions (Canada) Ltd as the Corporate Controller.

My daily routine is looking after the company books, treasury reporting, banking details and looking after a staff of between 8 to 10 persons on a daily basis and solving problems and issues.
Headquarters