G4S Employee Reviews

find a good site!
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
I worked for G4s for about 4 years. I was an entry level security guard but I loved my site. The problem came, when I was expecting my pay raise, it never came. I was paid at entry level rate right up until I left to further my career.

Second issue is I felt there was no way to advance as a security guard in the company unless you had friends in upper management.
Pros
find a good site
Cons
long hours, very little job security, no pay raise.
great place to work if you are studying
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 February 2017
Great place to work if you are studying, good work culture, great management, great training and experience. Do not expect a raise because the company doesn't give one.
Pros
Get to learn alot about security
Good company to start with
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Leamington, ON13 July 2016
I've been with G4S for almost 3 years now. They are a decent company to work for. Wages aren't good, though, and the benefits are okay. They only cover dental care, prescriptions and eye care. Any physical therapy, such as massages or chiropractic care, is not covered. Management is decent. They try to help you out as best they can. There aren't much incentives. For example; no raises, hard to get onto a better paying site. Overall, they're a decent company to work for if you are just starting out.
Pros
Good jobs, decent management
Cons
Wages are too low, sometimes you don't get enough hours
fun and flexible workplace , no advancement opportunities
SECURITY GUARD (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 January 2017
needs improvement when it comes to benefits and getting the guard's their coverage.

no chances for career advancement.
Pros
job flexibility.
Cons
boring, far, low salary.
Good people, recycled quickly
Senior Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2016
They were a good place to work, just not the best fit for a career. They train, treat most of the employees consistently and don't have many good placements. This was the only place in temporary staff security that had fair benefits and where employees received accredited training. Pitty, I was slotted out of my job. It didn't sit well with me how I was not included in that decision. I quit for an hour and wage reduction proposal. It was a substantial change that I couldn't handle and was forced upon me. The people are trying hard to be good, but it's rare to have anyone stay employed by them for long periods. The people who do, think as everyone else as filler for someone better. That was my impression of this organization in Calgary. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in security staffing organizations.
Pros
Free accedited training, has benifits (dental, health, etc.), temp work, continued to try to be better
Cons
Temp work, completely unqualified staff after contract, bad uniforms that you have to buy, uncontrolled and/or unplanned promises occurred often
I worked at Karmax Heavy stamping for 11 years ,12 hour shifts on weekends and filled in when someone would be absent. Karmax was great to wor
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON19 April 2016
My typical day consisted of regulations of workers and guests into a Car Parts Factory, Handling phone calls ,Log in and out Transport Trucks Patrol inside and out of Warehouse. a 12 hour shift. I learned Safety regulations and how to handle an Emergency situation and CPR. The management treated me with respect. I worked alone in my own security booth but there was another guard at another location which I communicated with throughout my shift. The hardest part of the job probably was the foot patrols as the warehouse was big. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning all the skills of becoming a Security Guard.
Pros
The salary, 12 hour shifts, there was always lots to keep me busy.
not good
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON4 August 2016
The job sites are the most enjoyable part of working for this
company.Management treat you as though you are not worthy
of being employed with them. Salary for the hours and duties you perform during a 12 hr. rotating shifts not worth it.
Pros
meet nice people on job sites
Its a job
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 February 2016
Working with this company is alright, I do think management needs some work. They're very unprofessional and also I think the guards aren't paid well enough for the type of hours they work (which are ridiculous by the way). The coworkers are usually the same, you either have the real serious ones or the laid back ones just trying to get through the day. I do love that you get to work kind of independently in a sense that you don't have management over your back; but you may or may not have a coworker to have your back in case of a situation. I think I learned to make the most of this job while I'm here because working overnight leaves you with a lot of dead time to figure out life or learn other things while on the job. I think majority of the reason people choose to work here is because it does provide you with the hours you might need. So overall i'd say working with this company is alright. Its a job at the end of the day and that is why the majority of guards are working here.
Pros
Benefits program
Job Security
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2016
There is no such thing as job security at G4S.

working with the company was fun. However, when there are issues arising within a contract, the area managers tend to turn the other cheek and allow the problems to persist, just to save a big contract.

My biggest complaint about G4S is the company allowing someone with no security or supervisory experience to take over the Team Lead position for G4S. The contract is huge for G4S as it is a global contract. However, the individual creates a hazardous work environment, which has caused many people to leave and seek shifts elsewhere.

the biggest pro i have from the company: being able to learn and grow as a security officer. I have learned a lot working with a gentleman who has more than 25 years of security experience. I can say that I can do my job with confidence with all that he has taught me.
Pros
Office staff is the best
Cons
allowing someone with no security or management experience take on the title of supervisor, which is currently happening on one contract.
Poorly managed
Security Guard/Concierge (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 December 2016
No work life balance your just a number my way or the highway kind of company. Uniforms are terrible someone else has worn it and you have to pay for it ,lousy shifts .Like every other low paying job they expect the best but aren't willing to be flexible on anything.
Pros
Xmas bonus
Cons
Low pay long shifts
Low Wages, Low Opportunities, High Turnover
CAHSO- Health Sciences North (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 August 2016
Management was absolutely terrible. Had a few occasions where I had finished a set of shifts, (working full time) and on my days off was told I had to work at other sites for coverage as they had no staff. When I declined, management had threatened to let me go due to not working other sites when I was already scheduled full-time for a specific site. When investigated by the Union, it was ruled in my favor due to good evidence. Union process took ages unfortunately. Management kept no records of any call-ins to keep up seniority and it created a whole new can of worms for many employees.

Job security was always uncertain. First you had to apply for the company, then apply for a specific site, then if you got a specific site started working but then could be removed at any moment and sent to another site without any explanation at all and lack of proper training.
Pros
Great Co-Workers, Interesting Tasks, Unpredictable
Cons
Management, Unethical Practices
Slow with no achievements accomplished
Patient Watch Guard (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 February 2016
For this short term employment I did not enjoy. I felt that I was bullied where I was located with the company. For 12 hours I had to sit in a chair not able to move and watch patients that had been considered unstable and were placed on "forms." When a patient in the hospital is "formed" that means they have to be monitored all hours of the day and night till the form has expired or been removed.

The hardest part for me is the fact I was not able to move around and it being a very slow pace job. For the 12 hours we were only allowed to have one 30 minute break which was hard as well on the body.
Cons
Long hours with 1 short break, no stable hours, rude co-workers, no benefits, low wage
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2016
Daily work is somewhat repetitive
Good job to do
Not much room for advancement
Majority of employees start as part time
Full time is one of the only few advancements
Being pulled up to a supervisor position is rare
Good co-workers
Good work environment
Most of management is great to deal with
Pros
Paid Lunch Breaks
Cons
Workload can vary at times, somewhat stressfull
Productive and cooperative
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 December 2016
-Continued training and improvement professional setting.

-Life and work balance policies.

-Supportive environment
Pros
Responsive management
Cons
Do not listen to guards requests
Retail Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 December 2016
Typical days at work are slow depending on the site and time of year, mall locations are obviously busier in summer months and around holidays. Learned nothing. Management is nearly impossible to get in contact with if there is an issue. When there is an opening for a site closer to home they wont give it to you. If you commute by public transportation do NOT work for this company.
Pros
Decent Co-workers
Cons
Bad Managment
Not a comfortable environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Canada16 March 2016
I worked here for a little bit and it was actually not bad at all until I met my night shift supervisor. I'm a sensitive person. Let's just say my first shift working with him, he belittled me and bullied me as an employee. Told me i shouldn't do it, I can't do it because I had a fear of ghosts. It got to the point where we had a fire alarm go off and he left me alone in the office. This was my first time training in the office and alone. I had people calling me every five minutes about it and when I tried to get to him he never answered. At the end I called my other supervisor to ask for help. When my night shift supervisor found out, he gave me trouble, not only in front of other employers but clients. I couldn't take being yelled at for asking for help after him belittling me all night and I snapped. Now I know, I was in the wrong because a client saw me snap but they didn't even give me a chance to explain myself. Instead they let me go. If a company is more concerned with performance than their employers then that company, to me, will fail. If you want steady hours and decent pay this is good, but be careful who you work with.
Pros
Benefits and steady hours
Cons
Bullies for employers
hard work depending on site
Security Guard at Art Gallery Of Hamilton (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 June 2016
lot of work for not a lot of pay and no good benefits for full time workers, high turn over rate. could use more sites and better pay for staff
Pros
non
Cons
pay could be higher
Great company to gain experience
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 January 2017
G4S is the world's largest security company and as such has a wide range of operations. If you are interested in law enforcement, being a security guard gives you a good opportunity in dealing with many people and handling conflict situations.
Pros
You gain experience in dealing with high volumes of people
Cons
Low pay, no advancement opportunities
G4s
Security Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 January 2017
a typical day at work is always the same.
i learned that i do not want to work in the oil industry due to the fact i wasn't able to practices my skills. the management was alright but they never really encouraged us to do better.
my coworkers were all lazy.
sitting in the the vehicle all night with nothing to do.
being able to see wildlife.
Pros
wildlife
Cons
no motivation
Not all that great
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 December 2016
Hours are not good or stable and they give you a hard time taking time off even when you have legitimate emergency reasons. Pay rate is awful, barely livable wages. Definitely would not recommend people to come here.
Cons
do not pay well and not many hours available