G4S Employee Reviews

The company is okay, not the branch
Various Roles (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON21 November 2017
I was a specialized guard within a hospital setting; so we made more then the average guard. While I can't speak too heavily on the company it self, I can say with confidence that we suffered from a serious lack of support from our managers at our branch office. Basically everyone in the branch was friends with each other and we were unable to really have a proper chain of command. While at work we had fun with our team and it made the experience more enjoyable.
Pros
Working with Public Solid Team Members New experience everyday
Cons
Sometimes stood down / Static Posts Lack of Company Support Lack of Manager Support
Pretty decent company
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 November 2017
I worked for this company for nearly 2 years. Currently a college student.

Pros:
- Very flexible company. I was a floater (someone who picks up random shifts) my entire time with the company. There was a period where I didn't work for 4 months (no contact with the company either). I called them one day for a shift and it was as if nothing happened. I guess it's because they're so big that they don't recognize you. They (almost) always have shifts that need to be filled.
- Never messed up my paycheque. The process for being paid is very simple, unlike other security companies, who often do mess up your pay.
- Supervisors almost never came around. This made the job much more enjoyable. I can count on one finger the amount of times they came by. And all of those sites were high profile sites. Anything not high profile they almost certainly won't come around.

Cons:
- The most well known sites aren't very good. At those sites you either have to stand the entire time or literally just sit there. The company does have good sites but you have to ask around. This is why I recommend making friends with a scheduler. Trust me, they'll help you out if you're willing to help them.
- The pay is not good. Unless you're a full time employee, the pay is almost minimum wage or a little above it.
- Schedulers can be very hard to reach. Some of them will flat out ignore your calls if they don't like you. My favourite scheduler also trained new employees, so sometimes he wasn't in the office that day, and I either had to call the next day or deal with the other schedulers.

If you're
  more... looking for causal work, then I would recommend this company. If you're looking for a career in security, this might be a start but the chances of advancement are slim.  less
a review
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 November 2017
The place was ok, many opportunities for advancement. 12 hr shifts were a bit draining over time especially if they needed you for overtime. Vacation time was rare and sick days not really available due to high turnover rate
Pros
quiet enviroment
Cons
staffing shortages
Great work environment
Lost prevention guard (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON14 November 2017
I enjoy the staff and management of this company. excellent work environment. I enjoy coming into work everyday and helping out the community. I would love to grow with the company.
Pros
always reachable
Average company
Security Guard (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
Don't be deceived by the advertisement, go to their website to see yourself that they are after giving courses and training for money, they don't care where you came from or where you're going to work, no advancement or a full time job, very high turn over, no communication between the management and employees, you will receive no credit for doing an extra effort, you're just a number, don't waste your time.
Pros
Free uniform.
Cons
No full time job, no advancement.
Responsible in health and safety
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  G4S Office9 November 2017
Traineer and the officers are well behaved and tolerate in their communication, they even help pay some employee with their transportation and lunch when they are being trained.
Pros
Free lunch
Fun place
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 November 2017
Over all working in security has its down time and up times but I always found it a fun job as well. The G4S team in Fort McMurray were amazing. Sorry I had to relocate.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Fun work site, high turn over of management.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB8 November 2017
Work place was excellent, however lack of communication with office. No performance reviews, of they want you removed from a work site, you are gone with no explanation and no recourse.
Pros
Part time available
Cons
Lack of communication office to staff
Ok Company
Concierge/Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2017
Worked with G4S for 5 years at first had was good to work for got along with staff and CSM's but closer to the five year mark things started to slip with this company and had to leave.
productive
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 November 2017
good company
sometimes scheduling team forget to send you tell last min
flexible understanding human resources
work is ok
clients is ok
usual work theme
Pros
good company
Cons
schedule sometimes mess up
A good place to work.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 November 2017
I do say a good company to work form. I did enjoyed working here. You can grow with the company and you can learn new skills as there are plenty of opportunities in the company.
Poorly Managed Company
Security Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2017
The HR people have no clue as to where locations are before they send you there. They tell you one wage and when you start the low ball you and make you fight to get agreed upon salary.
Pros
if you like to have to fight and argue this job is for you?!
Cons
A day care is easier to work in, at least you know the mental age and attitudes of the children
shortage of hour
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2017
they are always hiring but they don't have sites to deploy security guards on full time.when they hire they commit salary of $ 12.00 per hour after confirmation it will go to $ 13.00 but they never give any raise.
Not too bad but can be better
Screening Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 October 2017
Its not a bad place to work for but there is plenty room for improving. Management staff are most often professional. Not too much room for advancing in my situation but for others it might be different. The communication needs improving down the pyramid lines to the employees. Also there can be improvement in caring for the well-being of the employees such as lunch room and the stocking up of these lunchrooms, timely breaks. No extra benefits such as coffee or simple things that other companies offer for free so its very basic in that department but again maybe it depends on the job description or position. The best advantage is the flexibility of schedule can work more or less as there is a very active shift trading.
Pros
Flexibility of schedule
Cons
Breaks, no coffee or such
N/a
Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 October 2017
 Scheduled patrols – Interior & Exterior
 Patient Watch for mentally ill patients: Involves documenting patient activity and behaviour at an interval of 15 minutes.
 Constant vigilance to ensure patient and employee safety. Warning offenders regarding rule infractions
 Using reasonable force in order to prevent violent activity. Using restraints as per supervisor instructions & providing assistance to teammates
 Providing assistance to Hospital employees & responsible for patient protection
was not a bad company to work for.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  London, ON30 September 2017
I lost my job when g4s lost the contract at one of the sites I worked at. I had worked for g4s for 5 years at the same site in St Thomas but that company closed in 2016
Security
Market Tower Security Guard (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 September 2017
If your looking for a decent paying security job with great upper management, seek G4S as your next job. It is a great company to work for and they offer a wide variety of sites.
Professional work place.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2017
Professional work place at G4S Security company as a full time Security Guard (Concierge).
I deal with Guest , provide parking spots & made sure guests parked properly.
Sometimes dealt with fire and police officers when the fire alarm went on.
Very disorganized.
Who knows. Didn't get that far. (Former Employee) –  Halifax Internation Airport14 September 2017
Hired but not hired then processing of application terminated with no explanation despite many requests. So disorganized and everything is so casual. I didn't know if I had a job or not. Turns out is was NOT.
Pros
No pros.
Cons
No job after waiting almost two months.
Productive and enjoyable friendly staff
Regional Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC9 September 2017
this position requires a high degree of diligence and dedication and a strong sense of team work to complete task at hand. training is ongoing and self directed.
Start early stay late, with a hard working dedicated staff.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Long hours, always on call.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at G4S. Our community is ready to answer.