G&K Services Employee Reviews

Pay is the only good thing
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2016
I worked for G&K for 3 years as an RSR then was promoted to Route Specialist. This job is very hard on the body and mind. Recently i informed my manager that i am suffering from chronic wrist and back pain. The following Monday i was fired without explanation. Turns out they let me go in fear that i would file a WCB claim. I'm currently in the process of applying for ei and dealing with the labour board for wrongful dismissal.

Would only recommend working here short term to save up cash. Long term employment will result in permanent damage to your body as well as stress/ depression.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
A great place to work for those that are not scared of putting time in
Regional Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON10 August 2015
G&K Services is a great employer.

They value their staff, drive the business forward and customer service with it's core values, and provide great rewards for great results.

Though they can be tough on failings, and expect lots of hours when needed, I recommend this company to most. It has the track record and security you rarely find in a company of this size.
Pros
Long term career opportunity
Cons
Kind of my first full time experience in Canada
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga Canada18 June 2015
Great Staff, Good management. At that point was 102 year old company. Learnt using SAP here. I was the Staff accountant responsible for 16 locations within western Canada. My job was to make sure the financials were reported accurately & on a timely basis.
Part of my role also included talking to each of the GM about their forecast & Budget requirements and doing a variance analysis act vs bud vs for
Barbecues , Birthday cakes, promos
RSR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton3 April 2015
A typical work day could be long and the expectations were unrealistic given the work load. Mentally and physically taxing, not for everyone. I learned to be professional when servicing the customer providing a product or service and service issues. As far as management was concerned they were knowledgeable but lacked empathy and did not always communicate to the customer or RSR. The hardest part of the job was dealing with shortages and finding out that the customer had called in to speak to management and not received a call back. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the same people week after week and knowing that some of them actually liked you.
Pros
Learning the garment rental business and applying some the things you earned to another job.
Cons
Long hours.
Fun and educational
Office clerk (Current Employee) –  Lakeside, NS13 February 2014
Interacting with the elderly taught me compassion, as well as a love for the elderly and the stories they have to tell. The most enjoyable part of the day would have to be doing something special for one of the residents, something as simple as , " an ear". The hardest part would be seeing them decline, and eventually pass away.

I had a very good relationship with the management, as an employee who worked there for 8 yrs in food service, then left to go to College, they gave me the opportuntity to do my work placement there at the Reception Desk, to practice my skills.
Pros
It is a great place to work.
Cons
There were no full time positions in my field, and the pay is low.
Hard Working Environment
Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 February 2014
Going door to door Cold Calling, building prospects and gaining new customers. Learn to accept rejections and to never allow it to bother me. I had a great relationships with the management group, they were very supportive. I have build great relationship with my co-workers with G&K, I'm the type of person that would say Hi to every one and I always thought that that made me easily approachable. The hardest part of the Job at the beginning was to accept rejection. The Most enjoyable part of my Job is knowing that I have met my Sales Objectives by continuoulsy working hard and keeping a positive attitude.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Warm and cold weather conditions
The people were fun to work with. Unfortunately, due to insufficient funds the pay wasn't fair.
National Accounts Centralized Billing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 November 2012
The hardest part was that my department was understaffed. After I left for mat leave 2 people were hired to do my job. On the other hand, I loved working with my co-workers. I also enjoyed that my job was a crucial one for the company. I dealt with the key accounts. I had to collect all of our subcontractor invoices, audit them, key them into our system and using Excel create a centralized bill and send it to our national accounts. This experience definitely helped me learn to prioritize my jobs and work well under pressure, while maximizing accuracy.
Pros
people
Sales and Customer Service
Route Manager, Team Leader, Route Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON11 November 2012
G&K Services has been committed to enhancing image and safety in the workplace for more than 100 years. G&K helps customers create a lasting impression in the workplace by enhancing their image and safety. More than rental work uniforms, G&K's technical expertise extends to food safety and flame resistant solutions as well. G&K customizes to your unique image, safety, and security needs.
Job satisfaction will be highly dependent on local management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario, Canada2 July 2015
Very hard to achieve sales quotas, even for top performers.
Little room for advancement unless willing to relocate.
Some branches are more successful than others.
Pros
Fair compensation
Office Clark
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON18 May 2015
Prepare reports for the driver to deliver.
Handle office supplies.
Work with Brinks for cash deposits.
Did backup for servers.
Payroll and account payable.
Print holiday schedule for plat and office.
Pros
Not Applicable
Cons
Not Applicable
Great working place.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  ON8 January 2013
I was working as a Payroll Administrator. I enjoyed doing payroll and administrative work because I was dealing with different locations doing their payroll. We had a very good work environment, worked with minimal supervision in a fast paced fast growth environment.
Pros
free donuts every friday
Cons
working hours were flexible.
ITS NICE WORKING HERE, I A WORKING HERE AS DESIGNER, VERY ENERGATIC TEAM,FUN AND LIBERTY.EQUAL OPPORTUNITY FOR EVERYONE.
Business Objects Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2013
ITS NICE WORKING HERE, ENERGY AND FUN.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY FOR EVERYONE AS AN EMPLOYEE.
LEARNED A LOT ABOUT CLIENT AND BUSINESS.
VERY GOOD TEAM ENVIRONMENT.
SOME TIME HARD TO WORK WEEKEND.
Physical
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  ottawa17 April 2015
This job is very hard on the body, mentally aswell. must be physically fit. Must be able to deal with irate customers daily. Co workers are the reason we show up every day.
Pros
Cons
very long hours
management
service mgr (Former Employee) –  windsor12 November 2012
extremely unprofessional organization to work for; "sweeps" conducted regularly to boost revenue without customer knowlege or consent. real life it is called stealing. unethical to the 10th degree.
Pros
great frontline people
Cons
lousy mgmt and philosophy
Great
Purchasing Director (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 February 2015
Such a good place to work and the management team is so nice and helpful. Definitly enjoyed working here and making great netoworks. Would reccoment this.
Very good work environment to work in.
Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  Mississauge21 February 2013
Everyone worked on they own. Working in a busy environment keeps you engaged in work .
Pros
friday free donuts
Cons
flexible hours of work
Waste company I ever worked for
General Labour (Former Employee) –  calgary19 March 2014
Bad management, no job security, bad company. No proper system following there. Not a professional way.
n/a
Route Sales Representative (RSR) (Former Employee) –  cambridge, ON28 March 2013
did not enjoy working at this company. would not recommend it for anyone to work here
Pros
almost to no lunch
good
(Calgary) - (Payables clerk) (Former Employee) –  calgary13 October 2013
great enviroment and people to with.

good team work

great understanding with management.
Pros
great
good work place
Route Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  sault ste. marie, ontario25 October 2014
good work place
management is good
most enjoyable time is summer

2.8