FUTURESHOP Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to expand your skills and make new contacts.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONApril 28, 2014
Pros: great people, rewarding work
Cons: constant pressure, performance based scheduling meant that those who do well would have hard times having days off, even for school.
A typical day revolved around one thing; the customers. It is a Product Expert's job to dust, face, tag, and ensure every product was available and easily accessible for any customers who walked in. Being a commission salesperson also means you must be trained in a variety of products and be able to close sales.

I learned many things at Futureshop, namely, how to approach difficult situations and work them out to find a solution. I also learned the ins and outs of the accounting and marketing of the company.

The management is normally only top salespeople, and sometimes lack leadership qualities. Nevertheless, many of them are great at what they do.

The coworkers are an integral part of the company. It was a family atmosphere, and most people will do anything to help each other out.

The hardest part of the job for me personally was being the translator for most of the store. Out of a staff of 80+ people, there were only 3 of us who could speak French, and with Laurentian Univeristy and College Boréal in Sudbury, there were many customers who could only speak French. They would take me away from those I was helping, and ask me to translate for someone else.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people. I made many best friends there, and many of the customers I interacted with would leave you smiling.
An easy going work culture with a narrow room to rise
Product Expert (Information Product Group) (Former Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 6, 2015
Pros: easy work, flexible hours
Cons: Very low pay / commission, no rise in role, employees not given any benefit for professional development
have worked with this company for a while, but the pay and earnings are not regulated and relevant to the skills one implement in getting work done for this company. Now the company is closed though, but it is BestBuy now. Pay rates and commission structure is not that what could provide you a moral boost to grow inside company and or otherwise to stick with company for long. Just a timepass I would say. Your education and experience is not credited with time. You remain on the same role for years and still would find no chance to rise. Company is overwhelmingly giving attention and value to customer when it comes to issue of Customer Vs Employee. This makes a feel of moral going down for employee. Even the managers when get involve, they could treat you as culprit even for a pity $10 thing u sold to a totally liar customer !!! It sucks, and crash your day down !! ANyway, the same is with BestBuy u should assume
Relaxed and inviting work environment with many opportunities for challenging yourself
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: commission based.
Cons: begin at part time
- A typical day at work included Updating pricetags and making sure my designated department was presentable. Thereon, I assisted customers in finding the product that best suited them and educated them on how to get the most out of it.
- I learned how to react to different types of customers. I also learned a lot about the products i was selling. I learned that sometimes the product a customer comes in for is not always the one that best suits them. If you have an open mind there are endless things to learn on a daily basis.
- My coworkers at Futureshop were always friendly. They always kept a positive attitude and were very supportive.
- The Job was not hard at all. However, there were constant opportunities to challenge yourself.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was coming into work and seeing the satisfied customers leave with their product and knowing they look forward to seeing you again.
Happy part time student
Product Expert (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Management, flexibility, interacting with people, teamwork
After more than 1.5 years experience of working with futureshop, I can say:
1- My management team are flexible with my schedule.
2- I like this job because of people I'm working with compiling of different nationalities, personalities and natures.
3- I like this job because of my general manager as a person who always back his team.
4- My sales managers are with team on the floor since the moment you start a sale till the moment you finish and helping you with problems you may encounter during day with customers and previous sales.
5- I like helping people with my knowledge. I look for their all possible solutions and let them know.
6- There are days, we should be on the floor about 12 hours which is another challenging part of this job.
Productive and very self-empowering
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Nanaimo BCJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: the staff discount
Cons: pressure of comission
As a cell tech at Futureshop you tear your department as your own store. You meet and greet customers, find solutions to their "problems" and help identify the right products and services to them. As you gain experience in sales and with the company you are less micro-managed and gain the privileged to make your own decisions on the companies behalf. I have had very good experiences with co-workers as many have become good friends and almost every one is willing to give a helpful hand.
Overal Decent Company
Salesmen/In home technician (Former Employee), OrangevilleMarch 29, 2013
Pros: above average pay, most people, job perks
Cons: favortism, lack of traffic = lack of commission.
Pay structure is fairly good. Atmosphere is decent. Favoritism is present at almost ever location despite what they may say. At the location I was present almost all the staff were friendly and easy to get along with. Learned a lot about sales and people as well as product knowledge and installations. Management was hit and miss because they shuffle the managers around every year and you would have a new one. The environment was the most enjoyable part. The crew you worked with and the products you sold. Did not really find a really hard part of my job only that the department I was working you really had to hustle to make commission. It was a low commission department.
Productive and self motivating job
Product Expert (Current Employee), Markham, ONDecember 29, 2013
Pros: staff discount
As a product expert at Futureshop you tear your department as your own store. You meet and greet customers, find solutions to their "problems" and help identify the right products and services to them.
The most difficult part of this job is pleasing each and every customer. Giving topnotch service while increasing your commission can sometimes be challenging but can also be very rewarding at the same time.
Why Me !!
Senior Installer (Former Employee), RichmondHillApril 3, 2015
Pros: loved my job
Cons: very bad managment
G.S. district manager and Futureshop G.M. didn't like me. why ? because I did not play their game .
G.S. District manager came to my house and got his equipments for Satellite without paying me ,OK I didn't say anything , I tried to have a good relationship with him like others because his the boss !!
recently my mother passed away and I had to go back home . I didn't ask for any vacation or any money and after I came back they tried to fire me , I had to contact (HR.) but they didn't like it.
Later on District manager talked to me and he said you are amazing, your are one of the best geeksquad technicians.
until march 28 and you know the end of the story.
Good for entry level sales... that's about it!
Product Expert (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaFebruary 27, 2014
Great for entry level sales for a young adult, but if you're really looking to earn a good living, Futureshop is not the place.

Competing with the new market for electronics, such as amazon.ca and other web retailers, prices became more and more competitive, thus commissions would be less and less on an annual basis. Typically you would like a job where you had the potential to earn more money year after year, but in order to stay relevant, Futureshop employees are actually taking a pay cut every year.
Review of Futureshop
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 28, 2013
Pros: skills attained by working
Cons: management
Working at futureshop as a part time sales associate was an amazing experience. Already having passion for technology and consumer electronics makes it easier however i quickly found out that knowledge is not the only aspect that will help you in a sales environment. Learning the correct approaches to sales and developing better communication skills are all benefits attained by working. Shifts were unmanageable at times, however very flexible with the correct management. Hardest part of the job was by far dealing with management and the most enjoyable would be selling consumer electronics.
Productive and fun workplace with friendly coworkers
Product Processor (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Atmosphere and coworker cooperation
Cons: Business depended on the day of the week and time of year.
• Days were systematic in that each day had its list of things required to complete
• Learned the behind the scenes action within the company
• Management always encouraged improvement and continuation of good work and opportunities to move up in the company
• Almost all coworkers could be considered friends with everyone else
• Holidays became the busiest
• Helping others achieve their electronic shopping needs
A day passes as fast as 1 hour
marchandiseur (Former Employee), Saint-jean-sur-richelieu, QCJune 14, 2012
A day of work at Futureshop is great, the team is fun and you alway have something to do so your never bored. I work as part of a team , so you need to communicate with other to make sure that you go in same direction as a team. The managing team has the responsibilty to give us objectives as well as supporting us during the process. One thing that i have learn is to never hesitate when you have questions about anything, there will always be someone to give some advices.
A good place to work, fun and exciting.
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCJune 6, 2014
Pros: great discounts
Cons: long hours
Working at Future Shop was always exciting, with a awesome staff that I also called my friends. Everyday was something new and sometimes challenging but you learn something everyday. My management were always letting me try new things with all their support and ambition. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that every customer I help they will leave extremely satisfy and will come again.
Money to be made, but tough to keep up with
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Medicine HatMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great discounts
Cons: management is unpredictable, extremely competitive work environment
Futureshop is a very beneficial company to work for part time. If you are motivated and are not shy at all you can definitely make alot of money. However it can be cutthroat and competitive and is not for the weak of will. You must always be on top of your up sell game or you will fall behind. Management pushes very hard.
Good store to work for, poor company to work for.
Multi Channel Sales Associate (Current Employee), Nanaimo, BCFebruary 15, 2015
Futureshop fosters a great team environment to work for. The team I worked with was my favourite part of the job. Managers were really great, fun place to work for.

However, Futureshop is a ship cut adrift in a rapidly changing retail environment and they are suffering. Store staffing cuts and poor decisions regarding how the company is adapting will probably lead to more restructuring and staff cuts in the near future.
Good job for student
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 7, 2013
Pros: discounts
Cons: early mornings, management
This is a good job a student. It gives great discounts which most students will take advantage of, but pays just a bit more than minimum wage. You are expected to always keep busy even though there is no important work left to do. Management is the biggest problem as they are always trying to get you to work harder by hinting at your risk of job security.
Enjoyable workplace with great atmosphere and an effective team.
Customer Service Representative/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 7, 2015
Working for Futureshop helped me hone my skills as a leader and as a seller. I was guided by a management team who gave the best advice and knew how to professionally lead a team while also being great role models. My coworkers became family to me as we became a team. The only cons about working for Futureshop were the long hours of standing.
awesome place with awesome people
full time technician (Former Employee), Prince George, BCJune 27, 2013
Pros: accomplishments, enjoyable coworkers
Cons: cranky, drunk customers
of all the jobs I've had, I enjoyed this place a lot, but it really depends on who you work with and what store you're at. When you get the chance to earn best of Canada and best tech room in the district and feel like you've accomplished something, it's a great feeling.
Fantastic employer, strongly recommend
Product Expert - Home Office (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2013
Pros: good pay structure, encouraging management
Cons: job stability
Compared to other electronics retailers, Future Shop is a great place to work. Management is competent, sales goals are realistic, and the pay structure guarantees you make as much as the effort you put into it. Any salesman should seriously consider this company as a potential employer, they will not regret it.
Cell shop team player
Sales Associate (Former Employee), orangeville ontApril 16, 2015
I loved my job and the oppourtunity to work in the team atmosphere i had at futureshop.
being in the cellphone department i strived to achieve goals i had set for myself and what my general managers had set for me as well.
i was aiming to be in top ten within the company for our department within two months i dropped from 185 in the companys cellshop department roster to number 36.