FUTURESHOP

FUTURESHOP Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Retail
SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee), Kanata, ONMay 1, 2014
Great company to work for where you are allowed to do what you love!
Great place to expand your skills and make new contacts.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONApril 28, 2014
Pros: great people, rewarding work
Cons: constant pressure, performance based scheduling meant that those who do well would have hard times having days off, even for school.
A typical day revolved around one thing; the customers. It is a Product Expert's job to dust, face, tag, and ensure every product was available and easily accessible for any customers who walked in. Being a commission salesperson also means you must be trained in a variety of products and be able to close sales.

I learned many things at Futureshop, – more... namely, how to approach difficult situations and work them out to find a solution. I also learned the ins and outs of the accounting and marketing of the company.

The management is normally only top salespeople, and sometimes lack leadership qualities. Nevertheless, many of them are great at what they do.

The coworkers are an integral part of the company. It was a family atmosphere, and most people will do anything to help each other out.

The hardest part of the job for me personally was being the translator for most of the store. Out of a staff of 80+ people, there were only 3 of us who could speak French, and with Laurentian Univeristy and College Boréal in Sudbury, there were many customers who could only speak French. They would take me away from those I was helping, and ask me to translate for someone else.

The most enjoyable part of the job were the people. I made many best friends there, and many of the customers I interacted with would leave you smiling. – less
productive and informative job place
Technical Product Expert (Former Employee), Brandon, MBMarch 10, 2014
Pros: have chance to know about new technology
Cons: no growth
i like to deal with new and new electronics.it was really nice place to work specially
Have fun, great staff purchase and access to new product.
Product Expert in Appliance (Former Employee), Markham, ONMarch 1, 2014
Pros: good environment where everyone are friendly, helping each other out and have fun.
Cons: schedule is not very flexible and very stressful.
Good place to get training on sales skills. Offer great staff purchase program and Circle of Excellence is a bonus to worker who love to win free trip.
Good for entry level sales... that's about it!
Product Expert (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaFebruary 27, 2014
Great for entry level sales for a young adult, but if you're really looking to earn a good living, Futureshop is not the place.

Competing with the new market for electronics, such as amazon.ca and other web retailers, prices became more and more competitive, thus commissions would be less and less on an annual basis. Typically you would like a job – more... where you had the potential to earn more money year after year, but in order to stay relevant, Futureshop employees are actually taking a pay cut every year. – less
Relaxed and inviting work environment with many opportunities for challenging yourself
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: commission based.
Cons: begin at part time
- A typical day at work included Updating pricetags and making sure my designated department was presentable. Thereon, I assisted customers in finding the product that best suited them and educated them on how to get the most out of it.
- I learned how to react to different types of customers. I also learned a lot about the products i was selling. I – more... learned that sometimes the product a customer comes in for is not always the one that best suits them. If you have an open mind there are endless things to learn on a daily basis.
- My coworkers at Futureshop were always friendly. They always kept a positive attitude and were very supportive.
- The Job was not hard at all. However, there were constant opportunities to challenge yourself.
- The most enjoyable part of the job was coming into work and seeing the satisfied customers leave with their product and knowing they look forward to seeing you again. – less
Passable Employer
Computer Repair Technician (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: good coworkers, adequate managment
Cons: techs are overworked compared to the rest of the store, and paid considerably less
Not great by any means, but not a horrible job either. This is a nice middle of the road job until you find something better. The high turn over is a good indicator
Productive and very self-empowering
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Nanaimo BCJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: the staff discount
Cons: pressure of comission
As a cell tech at Futureshop you tear your department as your own store. You meet and greet customers, find solutions to their "problems" and help identify the right products and services to them. As you gain experience in sales and with the company you are less micro-managed and gain the privileged to make your own decisions on the companies behalf. – more... I have had very good experiences with co-workers as many have become good friends and almost every one is willing to give a helpful hand.
The most difficult part of this job is pleasing each and every customer. Giving topnotch service while increasing your commission can sometimes be challenging but can also be very rewarding at the same time – less
Productive and self motivating job
Product Expert (Current Employee), Markham, ONDecember 29, 2013
Pros: staff discount
As a product expert at Futureshop you tear your department as your own store. You meet and greet customers, find solutions to their "problems" and help identify the right products and services to them.
I – more... have had very good experiences with co-workers as many have become good friends and almost every one is willing to give a helpful hand.
The most difficult part of this job is pleasing each and every customer. Giving topnotch service while increasing your commission can sometimes be challenging but can also be very rewarding at the same time. – less
Review of Futureshop
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONDecember 28, 2013
Pros: skills attained by working
Cons: management
Working at futureshop as a part time sales associate was an amazing experience. Already having passion for technology and consumer electronics makes it easier however i quickly found out that knowledge is not the only aspect that will help you in a sales environment. Learning the correct approaches to sales and developing better communication skills – more... are all benefits attained by working. Shifts were unmanageable at times, however very flexible with the correct management. Hardest part of the job was by far dealing with management and the most enjoyable would be selling consumer electronics. – less
fun at work place
Sales Manager (Current Employee), within GTADecember 3, 2013
Pros: great benefit...
Cons: n/a
It's always busy and fun. Every moments things happen till close. for me it's exciting experience. Forsure you learned every time.Being a part of the leadership teamI can tell if you someone work with Futureshop, he or she is ready to take any challenge from any retail and customer service industry.
good learning school
MERCHANDISING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), st-dorothee, qcNovember 18, 2013
very fast pace, learned a lot from my supervisor, lead a team to win the banner for customer for life.
Good for starting
Sr. Computer Services Expert (Former Employee), SaskachtwenNovember 13, 2013
Good for starting or work part tme, Not much scope in Technical side, but if you are goo sales person then there is good potential
Fun working environment
Sales associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 24, 2013
Worked as a sales associate in the entertainment department. Dealing with customers, answering questions, locating items, processing purchases
Good job for student
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Brampton, ONOctober 7, 2013
Pros: discounts
Cons: early mornings, management
This is a good job a student. It gives great discounts which most students will take advantage of, but pays just a bit more than minimum wage. You are expected to always keep busy even though there is no important work left to do. Management is the biggest problem as they are always trying to get you to work harder by hinting at your risk of job security.
awesome place with awesome people
full time technician (Former Employee), Prince George, BCJune 27, 2013
Pros: accomplishments, enjoyable coworkers
Cons: cranky, drunk customers
of all the jobs I've had, I enjoyed this place a lot, but it really depends on who you work with and what store you're at. When you get the chance to earn best of Canada and best tech room in the district and feel like you've accomplished something, it's a great feeling.
The workplace is mediocre
Sales Person (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 26, 2013
I did Co-op there so I wouldn't know the salaries and benefits. Because I was a co-op student the employees would have us to the labor work while they would help customers, the employees would mainly fool around during work hours.
Enjoyable work experience and a lot of things to do.
Merchandiser (Former Employee), New Minas, NSMay 18, 2013
Pros: good discounts
Cons: lack of hours
Come in and check my task list and start my job. Truck days I unload the truck and put stock away. I learned team work, leadership and communication skills. Hardest part of my job was to lift heavy items such as fridges and other appliances.
Staffs are excellent
Customer service (Former Employee), Laird Branch, TorintoMay 12, 2013
Good place to work. Excellent staffs. Free parking. Benifits and perks..
Great fun place to earn commissions.
Product Expert, Sales and Services (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 11, 2013
Pros: passion and drive the company strives in injecting its employees with.
Cons: sometimes customers are very interesting.
I always called it a money making playground. Great freedom empowered by the management.