Future Shop Employee Reviews in Canada

positive hardworking environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 8, 2015
Enjoyable working environment, management was straight forward and organized. Unfortunately I only had a chance to be seasonal staff at their location.
Great place back in the day
Software Accessories Manager (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCSeptember 12, 2015
I worked for Future Shop for only a few months but when new management took over, my 38 hours a week turned into 16. I'm sure many turnovers since 2001 so this may be a useless review.
Pros
Great staff to work with and high moral
Cons
Lack of job security
Fast Paced Good environment
Directeur des opérations (Former Employee) –  BouchervilleAugust 8, 2014
Future Shop is a fast paced environment with plenty of positive aspects that helped me grow as a manager. Multiple oppertunities to coach employees, learn the retail market, and become a stronger individual. I have had the oppertunity to make decissions, take action, and bring the company to a higher level of success. The difficult part was not the company, but the economy which triggered a down on sales and profit. This will hopefully turn around in the coming months or year.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
slow market creating job losses and restructuring to save costs
Has its benefits, lacks the rush
Seasonal Entertainment Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 18, 2013
As a seasonal employee, my job would be to manage my section of the workplace which was the entertainment department. I would always talk to customers and assist them with whatever they wanted, I'd watch over the department to make sure it was clean, everything was in its proper place, and that no one tried to steal (which no one managed to do or try as I worked there). There were a lot of time where you are just standing around a lot though, waiting for customers or just looking over things; you're just not constantly busy enough. Benefits were amazing, discounts are formidable. Co-workers extremely friendly and supportive which is really good from all the help they provide. The hardest part of the job has to be to satisfy the customer's needs, especially if you're starting off working there and the most enjoyable must be the easy relations you build with co-workers.
Pros
great discounts, easy relationships with co-workers, not a lot of stress
Cons
lot of boring moments
Great atmosphere
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Future shop was a great place to work and had great people, they had a great environment and overall treated their employees well.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONSeptember 19, 2014
Great place to work but not secure. The staff were wonderful and the company has great values when it comes to associates who can show numbers. It is sad, really, as the managers and staff were truly fun to work with. As a company, they have great benefits and staff discount. I would work there again.
Pros
fun atmosphere, great managers, good benefits
Cons
job security, expects more work with less pay/staff, lack of long term loyalty to people
Product expert for Home Theatre section.
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2014
Consultation to customers about giving right product solution as per their life style and requirement. Developed loyal customer base by giving excellent after service to customers. Worked as team to achieve goal of the store. Help to the team to keep department presentable by arranging home theatre displays. I enjoyed healthy completion within the team to attract customer and close the sale.
Pros
healthy work environment and benefits
Cons
only commission based
Given promises that were never followed through
Appliance Expert (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONOctober 2, 2012
Working as a younger person for this company is really beneficial as the discount and benefits are great. However you have no rights as an individual and you have to be very political while working here. There is very evident favoritism and if you keep your mouth shut about things that are against labour laws not being followed or how staff behave improperly you will be fine.
Pros
employee benefits and discounts
Cons
vulger language, sexist conversations, and racist name calling is accepted in front of managers.
Comfortable place
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
This place helped me with my physical health. I never worked out in a gym before I started working for this spa. And that is because the owner there motivated me to always the best in everything. I think she was a wonderful owner.
Pros
Free gym, Free Sauna - Great hours.
Cons
It shut down.
High competition environment,
Product Expert (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2012
Product experts need to keep themselves up-to-date by learning new technology, new products in the market and also knowing the other competitors' products. Knoeledge is the success key that helps to close the deal. I have learned many information about hardware, software and technical issues as well. The hardest part of the job is to convince a customer to buy the extended warranty and the most enjoyable part is when you sell a product extended warranty.
Pros
good employment benefits, flexible hours
Cons
some conflicts between associates
Best Job I ever had
Installer, Computer Tech, Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 13, 2015
I would get to work to have an energizing morning meeting with the opening staff
Check my install schedule
Depending if I had jobs scheduled would decide my day in the store, I would do merchandising, help out in the computer tech room with repairs and setups, or help anywhere in the store.
if I had installs, I'd tidy up between jobs, help my supervisor if needed
end of day would consist of thoroughly cleaning the shop

I learned how to install car starters, helped maintain car dealership contracts and install car stereo's. I also learned that my dedication to quality was recognized enough to be offered a couple of shop manager positions in less than 2 years.

Management was awesome, treated everyone like family

co-workers were always friendly an inviting.

the job was never really hard, everyone was willing to help make things easily understandable

every day was enjoyable at future shop
Pros
Outstanding work enviroment
Cons
Stores country wide Closed......
Fast past, exciting, No 2 days were ever the same
Multi-Channel Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge OntarioApril 10, 2015
A typical day at work was showing customers the latest and greatest technology available. I learned the differences between things like laptops, tv's, appliances and home theater products. As well as how to sell the correct product to the right customer. The management team was always up beat and fun to work with. They always ran the store in a professional way. Co-workers were also always a pleasure to work with. Rarely was there any issues between employees. The hardest part of my job was trying to sell to customers who had it in their head that they already knew more than you. And would blatantly tell you that you didn't know what you were talking about. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to see first hand new and exciting products before the consumer and getting hands on experience with it. As well as seeing a customer leave the store happy with what they purchased.
Pros
amazing co-workers, staff discount, exciting place to work
Cons
Some long hours, stock refresh slow at times.
Challenging and an amazing work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 29, 2013
A typical day at work is to cash out customers and interact with many different people and helping them to find products they are looking for. The skills I learnt the most are cash handling skills, communication skills and time management skills. The management was fair and approachable. Nobody ever gave me a difficult time regarding the tasks I was assigned and I did not give them a chance to criticize my performance. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful and I have built many strong networks during my stay there. The hardest part of my job was to let a customer leave the store unpleased with our services. Even though it did not happen every often but sometimes I had to let people down because what they want sometimes goes against the store's policy. However, I can proudly say that I tried my best to deal with such situations by respecting the company's policies and at the same time delivering excellent customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfaction I get from assisting customers by meeting their needs and seeing how content they are with my service.
Pros
fair compensation
Cons
not enough hours according to budget
Was a fun place to work
Customer Service Specialist & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONOctober 27, 2015
I enjoyed working there while the store was open. The management was supportive as well as my fellow co-workers. I got to do something different and constructive everyday.
amazing work place
Sales and Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Vaughan Ontario CanadaMay 27, 2014
I believe this was the only place I got to work at besides comic-con or fanexpo where I could fully be myself and get praised for it. The look on customers faces when they came into a store expecting to talk to someone who had no idea of what they were looking for and then talking to me and I introduce them into new things surrounding what product they were looking for. Priceless feeling.
Great place to work, with good pay, benfits and co-workers.
Terra Losa, as a commissioned salesman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton West Tera LosaFebruary 24, 2014
Future-shop was great place to work, with good pay, benfits and co-workers.

The managers took time and great pains to accommodate their employees, with concerns to scheduling health and work environment.

The was some on the job training in regards to working with a WAVE (a device similar to a cherry picker for accessing items on high shelves), and first aid training options.
Pros
good benefits and sick leave options.
Cons
commisioned sales pressure.
Hit or Miss
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 18, 2013
Don't expect any type of job security. This company makes VERY poor decisions on the corporate level. Don't expect a good wage if you are a merchandiser or csr. Don't expect management to be competent.

In other words, don't have very high expectations for anything.
Pros
good benefits, if you're full time. co-workers can be fun
Cons
almost anything. corporate fails, management fails.
Company with hard working associates
Home Theatre Senior Install Manager (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMay 6, 2013
Going to work and selling the products in your specific department. Doing monthly training to keep up with the ever changing world of electronics. Cleaning your department regularly and selling the additional coverages and services they offer.

They associated that work there really do care and if you talk to them like human being they will go above and beyond for you. they management varies from store to store.Some managers will go above and beyond for there customer other will only do what they think will help there numbers look good.

The hardest part of my job there was going into a customers house after they have been told things by a sales person and trying to fulfil all the expectations the sales person told them without breaking any company policies, and without my customer getting upset and thinking poorly of Futureshop.

The best part about working there was most of the other employees. Other then a select few the store is very welcoming and the other associates are helpful, caring, and friendly. The benefits offered are above and beyond and the other perks they offer are nice aswell
Pros
discounts, friendly people, good benefits, new and changing product
Cons
low recognition, employee retention, and low chance for advancement
Comfort and Enjoyment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 20, 2015
It was honestly the most fun working for a company that was just as much into technology as I am. I have made lasting friendships not only with my colleagues but also with customers that I have interacted with. Adjusting your manners and tactics in order to have a proper communication with customers is a must in this location.

I have learned how the commission sales side works and have become very indulged in this setting. I also learned to research product knowledge more efficiently during our downtime.

My management and colleagues have become amazingly close with me and will never forget each day that I interacted with such an amazing team.

The hardest part of the job has to be dealing with difficult customers. Sometimes its definitely hard to discuss a compromise with customers who just don't want to listen. And yet, I have learned to become more patient and understanding with their needs and wants rather than what is better for the business even though our business targets are more focused by our higher-ups.
Pros
Commission.
Cons
Job Security.
good job bad salary, no recognition, equivalent to a janitor
Merchandiser,Doorman,Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 26, 2015
heavy duty job for the salary is not worth it, coworkers in your department are cool, the others will hate you
Pros
discounts
Cons
bad community, too much work load