Future Shop Employee Reviews in Canada

a lot about skin care
great
didnt have any
10 hour days
free stuff, and my relationship with my managers
Great atmosphere
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Future shop was a great place to work and had great people, they had a great environment and overall treated their employees well.
productive and busy for me as a tech
Senior Car Electronic Installer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCOctober 25, 2015
Nothing really to complain about, it was a positive overall experience. I enjoyed the management and structure I worked with.
Sales associate, very intense work environment
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 24, 2015
Even though its not supposed to be competitive, it turned out to be that way. Always a movement of employees in and out of the store. So, it was quite difficult to know who to talk to for product advice. At certain points, certain weekends/holidays, we was understaffed so the employees were frustrated, as were the customers for not having been assisted in an appropriate time. The managers were quite pushy about sales, but did not help with employee distribution.
Pros
shorter shifts and worked in a smaller section
Cons
employee distribution and sales tactics of other employees
bad work envirnoment
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 26, 2015
Terrible work environment with no benefits what so ever. there is no body to help you must of the time. customer service is terrible. people are not friendly.
Pros
breaks.
Cons
where to begin. Terrible hours, bad work environment, long daunting hours. so much more.
fun, friendly
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 26, 2015
stressful regarding return and exchange the product.
poor management., new challenges everyday , new things to be learned
Enjoyable Workplace
Product Process Associate, Entertainment Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 10, 2015
I was honored to be given the opportunity to work at Futureshop and enjoyed working with a team of hardworking and fun individuals. Management was very good and I had a blast getting to know them and establishing relationships. Customer satisfaction was the number one priority and responsibility. I learned many skills and some of these skills took time to get a hand of but were essential to the job and made our lives easier. Best part of the job was truck days when inventory came in and we worked as a team to put away product. Hardest part of the job was probably learning to send out write-offs but I got the hang of it but lucky the task was done as a duo.
Pros
Great People
Future shop is a fairly well run and fun to work at business
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BCMarch 17, 2015
A typical day as a merchandiser would include:
-Marking off the safety checklists on all work equipment
-Putting out new daily price tags
-Locking up all returned products from the previous night
-Unloading truck deliveries
-Making sure product is properly displayed in the store
-Up/Down-stocking products
Pros
Good benefits, great management
Cons
Not enough hours
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 12, 2015
It was a great company to work for; unlimited potential for earning but it was very competitive so you must be hungry for sales.
fun at work
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 30, 2015
- flexible hours
- met a diverse group of customers and learnt their lifestyles
- got to work with employees with different cultures
- garnered great product knowledge
- great incentives on good performance
- great benefits
Lots of Experience, Bad Work Culture
Customer Service Rep. / Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABOctober 14, 2014
A typical day at work is being treated poorly by co-workers and customers. I learned excellent customer service skills and how to save face in times of crisis. Management is disorganized. New managers are constantly being hired and, therefore, can't keep up the usual way things are run. This creates confusion and constant scheduling errors. Most enjoyable parts of the job are the paychecks and the satisfying feeling of helping out customers... even if some of them don't appreciate it.
Pros
salary + commission, experience
Cons
overtime, poor management, horrid customers
Future Shop is a great place to develop new social skills and confidence, but with flaws in managment execution .
Entertainment Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, KingswayAugust 23, 2013
Future Shop is known for it's great customer service and product knowledge experts. It has taught me the values on how to grow as an associate within the company and become a role model to fellow employees. It's also helped me develop my personality when interacting with customers and to fully understand there needs.

Although there have been many strong assets that go along with the job, I found that the management at my particular store would under value and alienate certain individuals in particular departments.This has helped me learned from challenge and change within the work place and make me stronger through diversity.
Pros
friendly environment, interact with people, fast paced, good benefits
Cons
inconsistant hours, managment neglecting employee's needs
Fast paced and challenging place to work. Numbers driven, fun and competitive.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 19, 2013
A typical day consisted of first a group meeting to discuss sales goals and targets. Then completing a checklist of chores to be done throughout the day. Selling home theatre products and services. I leaned some great tips on multi tasking in a faced paced environment. Management was however not in the best shape when I arrived. A lot of new managers that ended up being hired then fired by the store manager. Then the store manager himself was let go. The leadership was lacking. My co-workers were great people and I throughly enjoyed working with them. The hardest part about working there was the lack of direction and leadership. The best thing about the job was overall environment and co-workers.
Pros
free lunches ever once and a while and the employee discount.
Cons
inconsistant hours and dropping commission percentages.
Commission based
Digital Imaging Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 23, 2013
The store wanted more women as sales people, so they assigned me to sale Cameras, so i needed training. For 3 months it was an active training while selling products.

I learned all kinda of information about cameras, video cameras, and home phones.

The department manager was great, and really encouraging.
A new store manager was hired in when I was still in training, and I was the first of many he replaced with his own people from his old store.

My fellow co-workers in my department were really nice and encouraging, helpful when asked questions

The hardest part was the sales, I don't like pushing someone to buy an item. Sales were based on commissions the highest product made me the most money. My values couldn't co-exist with theirs, I didn't like convincing someone to buy a product
Pros
my department manager, department co-workers, educational
Cons
commission based salary, no job security
opportunity to grow and make day to day decisions in a company with culture
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  London, ONMay 15, 2015
meet new people each day and help them with any opportunities they may have and educate them on new products that we carried and introduce them to a whole new world on the WEB. Being empowered to make the decisions for customer service resolutions rather than having to always ask someone else. Working with a constant changing staff and finding ways to help each other to grow. Hardest part of the job, saying goodbye to seasonal employees and the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and finding ways to help them.
Pros
benefits and staff discounts
Excellent work environment.
Home Office Sales Expert (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 31, 2013
Selling computers to customers. Very extensive customer approach to find customers needs and provide excellent service to find what computer suits their needs. Recommend extra services to customers so when they get home everything is working how they like and also into the future.

Commission based sales can be very rewarding yet stressful. I learned how to self motivated. Gained a deeper understanding of people. Problem solving skills with finding the right need for customers.

Great team environment yet competitive. Management motivates and lets us work on our own.

Hardest part was constant rejection and to keep trying.

Most enjoyable is having fun with a customer during a sale and helping them find the right product and made things easier for them.
Pros
freedom, allowed breaks or coffee runs when ever, listen to own music, care free atmosphere, walking around.
Cons
slow at times means no customers and no money.
Comfortable place
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
This place helped me with my physical health. I never worked out in a gym before I started working for this spa. And that is because the owner there motivated me to always the best in everything. I think she was a wonderful owner.
Pros
Free gym, Free Sauna - Great hours.
Cons
It shut down.
Great Team
Sales Consultant/Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 1, 2015
Working at Future Shop helped me develop some great skills, not only in sales but also in communication, understanding business models, understanding what it takes to run a business and the value of a good team.
My typical day consisted out of achieving sales goal, training, merchandising and relationship building.
The best part of the job was being able to work so closely with everyone in the team, looking back the most valuable part of Future Shop was the well oiled team we had put together.
The hardest part of working at Future Shop was dealing with situations that required you to compromise when the other party was not willing to.
As I mentioned before my co-workers were likely the best part of my time at Future Shop
Pros
Great team, great athmosphere
Cons
No job security
Good company to work for but they're closed now
Counter intelligence level 1 (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ONApril 7, 2015
I enjoyed working every day for this company other than the typical high school drama from the rest of the team.

Management was great
Pros
great work environment, great employee discount on certain items
Cons
low hours, low salary for skillset, low amounts of in store repairs
Fast paced at times. Fellow staff were easy to work with
Senior Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSFebruary 15, 2014
The day always starts with a group meeting discussing the wins of the previous day and the daily targets. We would review the department, and address anything that was out of place. Including the cleanliness of the dept. to pricing changes. The management was very much interested in your thoughts and wanted you to succeed. Your coworkers were all easy to get along with, and a pleasure to work beside. The hardest part was the extra long hours required over the Christmas Holidays, as it left very little time for family. The best part was the freedom to create your own success.
Cons
very log hours over christmas holidays....12-15 hr shifts at times