Future Shop Employee Reviews

if you love tech
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 30, 2015
great place to work, fast pace environment. Exposed to lots of cool technology. However you must be available to working weekends and compensation is high.
Fast Paced Good environment
Directeur des opérations (Former Employee) –  BouchervilleAugust 8, 2014
Future Shop is a fast paced environment with plenty of positive aspects that helped me grow as a manager. Multiple oppertunities to coach employees, learn the retail market, and become a stronger individual. I have had the oppertunity to make decissions, take action, and bring the company to a higher level of success. The difficult part was not the company, but the economy which triggered a down on sales and profit. This will hopefully turn around in the coming months or year.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
slow market creating job losses and restructuring to save costs
Setups and recoveries
Setup customers laptop (Former Employee) –  Young and EglintonJanuary 14, 2016
Working at Future Shop was a great opportunity because of how I am able to work with many different kinds of computers, helped customers setup their laptops by installing what programs they need. I also got to install screen shields for customers smartphones. I learned a lot about computer problems, and helped other Future Shop workers with their situations.
Pros
Working with laptops and smartphones
Sales Associate/Customer service (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 6, 2016
The company was based on commission it was very competettive. It was a fast paced environment that dealt with electronics.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONSeptember 19, 2014
Great place to work but not secure. The staff were wonderful and the company has great values when it comes to associates who can show numbers. It is sad, really, as the managers and staff were truly fun to work with. As a company, they have great benefits and staff discount. I would work there again.
Pros
fun atmosphere, great managers, good benefits
Cons
job security, expects more work with less pay/staff, lack of long term loyalty to people
Decent sales training
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 4, 2016
Decent sales training. Flexible hours. sjdfajs asjdiasjdij ajdojasod ajsdojasod aosjdoaj ajksodjaos eoqj odejqonqw ijdiqowjd owjojqwn wjdiqw qowjoqw oqjwoj wqiqw knqwkn wqkjjqw
Given promises that were never followed through
Appliance Expert (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONOctober 2, 2012
Working as a younger person for this company is really beneficial as the discount and benefits are great. However you have no rights as an individual and you have to be very political while working here. There is very evident favoritism and if you keep your mouth shut about things that are against labour laws not being followed or how staff behave improperly you will be fine.
Pros
employee benefits and discounts
Cons
vulger language, sexist conversations, and racist name calling is accepted in front of managers.
High competition environment,
Product Expert (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 19, 2012
Product experts need to keep themselves up-to-date by learning new technology, new products in the market and also knowing the other competitors' products. Knoeledge is the success key that helps to close the deal. I have learned many information about hardware, software and technical issues as well. The hardest part of the job is to convince a customer to buy the extended warranty and the most enjoyable part is when you sell a product extended warranty.
Pros
good employment benefits, flexible hours
Cons
some conflicts between associates
productive
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSMarch 20, 2016
good work enviroment.
alway training and learning
always moving
great meeting different people
always a different challenges
Pros
extras
Cons
not enough hours
Fun and Competitive Sales Environment
Entertainment Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2015
Future Shop Waterloo was a good work environment for developing and honing my sales work ethic and techniques. Management and co-workers were all very respectively and accommodating to a variety of circumstances ranging from requiring days off to filling in when the floor got busy. Sad to see the company go.
Pros
Incentives for performing better
Cons
Lots of standing
Product expert for Home Theatre section.
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2014
Consultation to customers about giving right product solution as per their life style and requirement. Developed loyal customer base by giving excellent after service to customers. Worked as team to achieve goal of the store. Help to the team to keep department presentable by arranging home theatre displays. I enjoyed healthy completion within the team to attract customer and close the sale.
Pros
healthy work environment and benefits
Cons
only commission based
Challenging and an amazing work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 29, 2013
A typical day at work is to cash out customers and interact with many different people and helping them to find products they are looking for. The skills I learnt the most are cash handling skills, communication skills and time management skills. The management was fair and approachable. Nobody ever gave me a difficult time regarding the tasks I was assigned and I did not give them a chance to criticize my performance. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful and I have built many strong networks during my stay there. The hardest part of my job was to let a customer leave the store unpleased with our services. Even though it did not happen every often but sometimes I had to let people down because what they want sometimes goes against the store's policy. However, I can proudly say that I tried my best to deal with such situations by respecting the company's policies and at the same time delivering excellent customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfaction I get from assisting customers by meeting their needs and seeing how content they are with my service.
Pros
fair compensation
Cons
not enough hours according to budget
Productive sales oriented atmosphere and just one big family
Sales Consultant - Customer Sales Service Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 26, 2015
Always happy to go to work and spend time while learning and teaching and meeting new people with my second family/My work family!!! It was retail, and in retail you spend more time with staff than you do with family.
Pros
Long days that we called "Iron Man Days" and we were compensated with whatever free lunch we wanted, but with a $ cap
Cons
Holidays and special occasions always get interrupted but it was part of the job, but loved my Retail Family as well!
an okay job for temporary work
Stock worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 16, 2016
this job was often dull and quiet. I was not able to communicate with customers and I rarely got too speak with other employees.
Close knit group
Mobile Sales Associate I (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 17, 2016
Everybody was treated like family will provided the incentive to work as hard a possible. Everybody knew each other which made it easier to handle tough situations.
amazing work place
Sales and Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Vaughan Ontario CanadaMay 27, 2014
I believe this was the only place I got to work at besides comic-con or fanexpo where I could fully be myself and get praised for it. The look on customers faces when they came into a store expecting to talk to someone who had no idea of what they were looking for and then talking to me and I introduce them into new things surrounding what product they were looking for. Priceless feeling.
Wonderful Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCFebruary 25, 2016
Before the final close of doors at future shop i really enjoyed my time there. the people i worked with made it a friendly and fun environment with a can do attitude.
Great place to work, with good pay, benfits and co-workers.
Terra Losa, as a commissioned salesman (Former Employee) –  Edmonton West Tera LosaFebruary 24, 2014
Future-shop was great place to work, with good pay, benfits and co-workers.

The managers took time and great pains to accommodate their employees, with concerns to scheduling health and work environment.

The was some on the job training in regards to working with a WAVE (a device similar to a cherry picker for accessing items on high shelves), and first aid training options.
Pros
good benefits and sick leave options.
Cons
commisioned sales pressure.
Hit or Miss
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONNovember 18, 2013
Don't expect any type of job security. This company makes VERY poor decisions on the corporate level. Don't expect a good wage if you are a merchandiser or csr. Don't expect management to be competent.

In other words, don't have very high expectations for anything.
Pros
good benefits, if you're full time. co-workers can be fun
Cons
almost anything. corporate fails, management fails.
Company with hard working associates
Home Theatre Senior Install Manager (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMay 6, 2013
Going to work and selling the products in your specific department. Doing monthly training to keep up with the ever changing world of electronics. Cleaning your department regularly and selling the additional coverages and services they offer.

They associated that work there really do care and if you talk to them like human being they will go above and beyond for you. they management varies from store to store.Some managers will go above and beyond for there customer other will only do what they think will help there numbers look good.

The hardest part of my job there was going into a customers house after they have been told things by a sales person and trying to fulfil all the expectations the sales person told them without breaking any company policies, and without my customer getting upset and thinking poorly of Futureshop.

The best part about working there was most of the other employees. Other then a select few the store is very welcoming and the other associates are helpful, caring, and friendly. The benefits offered are above and beyond and the other perks they offer are nice aswell
Pros
discounts, friendly people, good benefits, new and changing product
Cons
low recognition, employee retention, and low chance for advancement