Future Shop Employee Reviews

Fun and productive enviorment
Geek Squad Agent/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC16 June 2015
Typical day included assisting various customers with technical issues. Providing customers with efficient ways of payment. Assisting clients with credit card applications.
Pros
Good management, Friendly coworkers
Cons
Low wage, No benefits, no advancement
Future Shop review: Great learning step.
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 February 2014
My typical day at work at Future Shop consists of helping customers find what they need, give them no pressure for returns on products or warranties, and balancing my til at the end of the night or in the morning.

The people there make it worth while to make it through your day. Everyone is willing to help others and have a good laugh when needed. For the most part, everyone is smiling and cheerful but everyone has their bad days.

I've learned a lot about myself while being employed at Future Shop. With the help of my supervisor, I've learned that I can't take criticism to hard and too personal. I must leave work at my work and home at my home. My patience has been tested but I've managed to work on my ability to over react and calm myself and others around me.
Pros
The people
Cons
Salary
Lots of Experience, Bad Work Culture
Customer Service Rep. / Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2014
A typical day at work is being treated poorly by co-workers and customers. I learned excellent customer service skills and how to save face in times of crisis. Management is disorganized. New managers are constantly being hired and, therefore, can't keep up the usual way things are run. This creates confusion and constant scheduling errors. Most enjoyable parts of the job are the paychecks and the satisfying feeling of helping out customers... even if some of them don't appreciate it.
Pros
Salary + commission, experience
Cons
Overtime, poor management, horrid customers
Fun workplace.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2016
Mcdonalds was a fun work place the crew got along well. Some nights are so busy you have to stay and work longer without rebuttal.
audio installation
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON25 July 2016
-installed stereo systems
-helped install remote starters
-helped customers choose the best products for their budget
Great co-workers , fun and productive place to work with many after work family gatherings ..
Shipper/Receiver and merchadiser (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC26 February 2014
Always kept busy which is important . Got along well with co-workers and the management team were easy to approach if there were any concerns about anything in general . Any input l may have had was greatly appreciated . It felt like a great accomplishment when we received a large shipment and we separated and merchandised it in record time . We always tried to improve our performance .
Pros
Good pay and benefits, a good schedule, store get functions such as golf, volleyball and store BBQ's
Cons
Hours and job cuts due to our present economy .
WEB SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON17 February 2015
I have been with Future Shop for a very long time. There is always room there for advancement and also just movement if you need a change of scenery. At my specific location in Sarnia, the staff is pretty much like family. We help each other out when necessary and we all spend time together outside of work as well. The salary and benefits are competitive and sufficient. All in all, a great place to work!!
Has its benefits, lacks the rush
Seasonal Entertainment Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC18 March 2013
As a seasonal employee, my job would be to manage my section of the workplace which was the entertainment department. I would always talk to customers and assist them with whatever they wanted, I'd watch over the department to make sure it was clean, everything was in its proper place, and that no one tried to steal (which no one managed to do or try as I worked there). There were a lot of time where you are just standing around a lot though, waiting for customers or just looking over things; you're just not constantly busy enough. Benefits were amazing, discounts are formidable. Co-workers extremely friendly and supportive which is really good from all the help they provide. The hardest part of the job has to be to satisfy the customer's needs, especially if you're starting off working there and the most enjoyable must be the easy relations you build with co-workers.
Pros
great discounts, easy relationships with co-workers, not a lot of stress
Cons
lot of boring moments
Future shop is a fairly well run and fun to work at business
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Duncan, BC17 March 2015
A typical day as a merchandiser would include:
-Marking off the safety checklists on all work equipment
-Putting out new daily price tags
-Locking up all returned products from the previous night
-Unloading truck deliveries
-Making sure product is properly displayed in the store
-Up/Down-stocking products
Pros
Good benefits, great management
Cons
Not enough hours
Business shut down
Home Office Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 May 2016
Due to lack of inbound customers traffic Company was shut down and hundreds of employees were sent home. Due to increased competition the company could not survive
Pros
A good learning of electronics
Cons
less than 24 hours a week for part timers
Fast Paced Good environment
Directeur des opérations (Former Employee) –  Boucherville8 August 2014
Future Shop is a fast paced environment with plenty of positive aspects that helped me grow as a manager. Multiple oppertunities to coach employees, learn the retail market, and become a stronger individual. I have had the oppertunity to make decissions, take action, and bring the company to a higher level of success. The difficult part was not the company, but the economy which triggered a down on sales and profit. This will hopefully turn around in the coming months or year.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Slow market creating job losses and restructuring to save costs
Given promises that were never followed through
Appliance Expert (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON2 October 2012
Working as a younger person for this company is really beneficial as the discount and benefits are great. However you have no rights as an individual and you have to be very political while working here. There is very evident favoritism and if you keep your mouth shut about things that are against labour laws not being followed or how staff behave improperly you will be fine.
Pros
employee benefits and discounts
Cons
vulger language, sexist conversations, and racist name calling is accepted in front of managers.
Good company to work for but they're closed now
Counter intelligence level 1 (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON7 April 2015
I enjoyed working every day for this company other than the typical high school drama from the rest of the team.

Management was great
Pros
great work environment, great employee discount on certain items
Cons
low hours, low salary for skillset, low amounts of in store repairs
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON19 September 2014
Great place to work but not secure. The staff were wonderful and the company has great values when it comes to associates who can show numbers. It is sad, really, as the managers and staff were truly fun to work with. As a company, they have great benefits and staff discount. I would work there again.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, great managers, good benefits
Cons
Job security, expects more work with less pay/staff, lack of long term loyalty to people
High competition environment,
Product Expert (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2012
Product experts need to keep themselves up-to-date by learning new technology, new products in the market and also knowing the other competitors' products. Knoeledge is the success key that helps to close the deal. I have learned many information about hardware, software and technical issues as well. The hardest part of the job is to convince a customer to buy the extended warranty and the most enjoyable part is when you sell a product extended warranty.
Pros
good employment benefits, flexible hours
Cons
some conflicts between associates
exciting to learn about new technology
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC13 April 2016
During Future Shop operations the job was exciting and fast pace in the busy hours and especially boxing day. A cashier position was an entry job, it was easy and I had a chance to learn about sales and customer service.
Pros
Commission on small at the counter sales
Cons
Low hourly wage
Challenging and an amazing work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 April 2013
A typical day at work is to cash out customers and interact with many different people and helping them to find products they are looking for. The skills I learnt the most are cash handling skills, communication skills and time management skills. The management was fair and approachable. Nobody ever gave me a difficult time regarding the tasks I was assigned and I did not give them a chance to criticize my performance. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful and I have built many strong networks during my stay there. The hardest part of my job was to let a customer leave the store unpleased with our services. Even though it did not happen every often but sometimes I had to let people down because what they want sometimes goes against the store's policy. However, I can proudly say that I tried my best to deal with such situations by respecting the company's policies and at the same time delivering excellent customer service. The most enjoyable part of my job was the satisfaction I get from assisting customers by meeting their needs and seeing how content they are with my service.
Pros
Fair compensation
Cons
Not enough hours according to budget
Respect
Operations Manager/ASM (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2016
You really only have one dream job and for me this was it. It will be difficult to find a replacement. I believe though it is what you make of it.
Future Shop- Good Job
Sales Rep/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON15 March 2016
- Greet Customers and help them
- Maintain the Store Throughout the day and return merchandise.
- It was a fast pace moving environment and we had to the meet quotas . Seasonal time it was busy like Christmas and "Back to School" so we had to prevent any theft from happening and provide good customer service to tons of customers. Unfortunately it was closed down Canada Wide.
Great place to learn about end user characterstics
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 March 2016
Engaged with customers to build optimal product packages, services and solutions that suit their needs. Evaluated sales opportunities and provided application recommendations for the effective use of computer equipment
Pros
access to new tech
Cons
scheduling hours are done last minute