Future Shop

Future Shop Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great co-workers , fun and productive place to work with many after work family gatherings ..
Shipper/Receiver and merchadiser (Current Employee), Courtenay, BCFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits, a good schedule, store get functions such as golf, volleyball and store bbq's
Cons: hours and job cuts due to our present economy .
Always kept busy which is important . Got along well with co-workers and the management team were easy to approach if there were any concerns about anything in general . Any input l may have had was greatly appreciated . It felt like a great accomplishment when we received a large shipment and we separated and merchandised it in record time . We always tried to improve our performance .
Lots of Experience, Bad Work Culture
Customer Service Rep. / Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 14, 2014
Pros: salary + commission, experience
Cons: overtime, poor management, horrid customers
A typical day at work is being treated poorly by co-workers and customers. I learned excellent customer service skills and how to save face in times of crisis. Management is disorganized. New managers are constantly being hired and, therefore, can't keep up the usual way things are run. This creates confusion and constant scheduling errors. Most enjoyable parts of the job are the paychecks and the satisfying feeling of helping out customers... even if some of them don't appreciate it.
Fast pasted business with new electronic trends
District Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 22, 2014
Pros: worked with cool new products and fun toys
Cons: advancement
1. Reviewed sales performance for Southern Alberta and Manitobia.
2. Worked through a district team of 5 to improve all areas of the business daily.
3. Involved with improving inventory control / systems for Western Canada.
4. Conducted PNL reviews with the district team and store managers.
5. Reviewed people development plans for all stores.
6. Overseen sales development plans for the professional sales consultants.
7. Reviewed sales forcasts and worked on marketing strategies to increase sales and profits.
A lot to offer and no two shifts are the same.
Salesman (Former Employee), Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: quality employee lounge, information about new releases and big sales
Cons: always inside, no windows, long hours
In the gaming department I was held responsible for keeping up to date on the latest video game releases by reading every new edition of the store flyer. Price drops from competing stores were important to follow, because shoppers can ask employees to match a competing store's prices. At the time, I considered this to be the hardest part of my job. During the holiday season I learned to rapidly switch between English and French and occasionally speak to groups of people.
Sales associate, very intense work environment
Product Expert (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 24, 2015
Pros: shorter shifts and worked in a smaller section
Cons: employee distribution and sales tactics of other employees
Even though its not supposed to be competitive, it turned out to be that way. Always a movement of employees in and out of the store. So, it was quite difficult to know who to talk to for product advice. At certain points, certain weekends/holidays, we was understaffed so the employees were frustrated, as were the customers for not having been assisted in an appropriate time. The managers were quite pushy about sales, but did not help with employee distribution.
Bonne expérience
Vendeur associé (dép. divertissement) (Former Employee), Brossard, QCMarch 27, 2013
Pros: nombreuses possibilités d'évolution, bonne assurance privée, outils de formation
Cons: salaire très différent selon les départements, pression à la vente
Focaliser sur les clients, le service est meilleur que dans des enseignes équivalentes!
Nécessite un bon entregent
Spécialiste des produits nécessite de se tenir constamment à jour sur l'actualité et sur la concurrence
Forte culture d'entreprise
Environnement jeune, quelque fois immature
Management un peu trop directif
Capacité à supporter la pression de la part de la clientèle et de la part de la direction
Loved the environment
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee), Scarborough, OntMay 15, 2014
Responsibilities
Cashier, handled customer service, inventory and consolidation
Accomplishments
I was promoted to MIT in 6 months but I had to leave for personal reasons.
Skills Used
Satisfied customers, counted the cash at the end of the day and reported to the manager. Accuracy was an
asset when dealing with $100,000 on certain days.
I learnt that customers are always right so the aim was to try and find out ways to make that customer leave
our store with a smile whenever possible.
Product verification and watched out for fraudulent purchases.
Get to see new products hands on
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Richmond, BCJuly 17, 2013
Pros: good place to begin your career
Cons: commission is not good anymore and the traffic is down due to online sales
A great place to learn about technology and sales. Good values and culture. Helped me to become a stronger person and handle pressure during busy times. Pressure is also there during slow time. The . only thing i find is their target settings which is very unrealistic and hard to archieve. Management can be very moody and treat people by numbers and experience. But at the end of the day it was lot of fun to see new technologies coming out and meeting new people,
Interesting place to work
Expert des produits (Former Employee), Lasalle, QcApril 1, 2014
Pros: staff pricing
Cons: no job security
There isn't something called a typical day at work since it changes everyday. I've learned many things at Future shop, such as giving great customer service can reward someone nicely in the long run. I enjoyed working there very much, the most enjoyable part must have been the satisfaction on a customers face once they have been received help. The store I worked at was basically a huge family, and I fit it very well. The hardest part of the job must have been to prevent theft while helping clients, but it's something we overcame very quickly.
Fast pased enviornment with great benifits
Product Expert (Former Employee), Barrie, ONAugust 9, 2012
Pros: 50% off
Cons: short hours
At Future Shop I worked as a Product Expert in the Car Audio Department. It was my responsibility to provide timely and educational service about products and services offered while producing high sales numbers. I used my strong Interpersonal skills, and outgoing nature to bring customers back time and again. The management was fair, though it always seemed like they had too many people working at once. Though it was tough spending hours with a customer to have them leave and not buy anything, those that did more than made up for it.
Fast Paced Good environment
Directeur des opérations (Former Employee), BouchervilleAugust 8, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: slow market creating job losses and restructuring to save costs
Future Shop is a fast paced environment with plenty of positive aspects that helped me grow as a manager. Multiple oppertunities to coach employees, learn the retail market, and become a stronger individual. I have had the oppertunity to make decissions, take action, and bring the company to a higher level of success. The difficult part was not the company, but the economy which triggered a down on sales and profit. This will hopefully turn around in the coming months or year.
Chain company that treats everyone like they are 15.
Home Theater Sales (Current Employee), Cowichan, BCOctober 28, 2012
Pros: commission sales can mean good pay opportunities.
Cons: experience and knowledge means little, sales level dictates everything including what you can get away with.
I have been promised chances to advance and nothing ever happens. I have seen salesmen come in on days off and sell which with a commission system means they are stealing from others. As long as the employee sucks up to the boss, it is allowed. Everytime I refer to my bad experiences with the company they assure me it will be different with the new management but it never changes.
Great opportunity to interact with people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMay 22, 2013
Future Shop was a fun environment where I was able to interact with a number of people from co-workers to customers. I learned how to handle situations when it gets of hand or when I happen to run into problems with my system. My co-workers were always a pleasure working with, they were all hard working and willing to help whenever it was needed. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet all day but other than that, I definitely enjoyed meeting different types of people and making sure the customers were happy on their way out.
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), whitby, ontarioNovember 27, 2014
In a typical day at work I would process sales and returns. Send out items for repair or process an exchange over the counter. I would greet customers and build rapport to ensure they were customers for life. I learned a great deal about working in a fast-paced environment and how to work as a leader within a team. My co-workers were great people to work with. The best part of the job was the satisfaction I received when I provided exceptional customer service. The hardest part of the job was that there were certain times during the year when business was slow.
Setup and Recovery (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2013
Pros: enjoyed going there everyday
Cons: required a long travel time
I worked at future shop for a CO-OP position for school. I enjoy working with electronics and working at Future Shop allowed me to learn many new things about them. The management there was really good as all the employees stayed on task at all times but at the same time made it fun for others. The hardest part of my job was to dealing with certain computer issues however with the help of my co-workers I was able to solve them. In all I enjoyed many factors in future shop as they have a well constructed,safe and fun society.
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Lethbridge, ABJune 30, 2014
Pros: great staff and management
Cons: head office decisions
My days are always busy which I love because time just flying at work instead of dragging on by slowly. I actually really like working for Future Shop, the co-workers are usually fantastic and close knit. My bosses are also quite good for having jobs where they have to make tough decisions, they at least explain their decisions which it much appreciated. It has it awesome days and its awful days just like all jobs. The bad days ranging from a angry customer experience or head office making a radical change to the company.
High competition environment,
Product Expert (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 19, 2012
Pros: good employment benefits, flexible hours
Cons: some conflicts between associates
Product experts need to keep themselves up-to-date by learning new technology, new products in the market and also knowing the other competitors' products. Knoeledge is the success key that helps to close the deal. I have learned many information about hardware, software and technical issues as well. The hardest part of the job is to convince a customer to buy the extended warranty and the most enjoyable part is when you sell a product extended warranty.
Great group of people to work with/for.
Merchandising Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 22, 2015
Pros: Fun events scheduled with not only our store, but between all of the future shops in Calgary.
Cons: 13 hour split shifts on boxing day.
The environment was more like a family rather then employees. It was enjoyable to go to work everyday knowing it would be a busy and productive day with people you like seeing.
The work had its challenges, especially during the holiday season. I kept my warehouse labeled, detailed and everything had a home to make sure everything was easy to find. There were checklists for everyday duties.
Awesome company, great values, excellent support
Product Expert (Former Employee), St. John's, NLSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: amazing incentives, treats employees very well.
Cons: retail hours, no downtime, declining payouts based on current marketing landscape
Strong corporate culture, opportunity for advancement, attainable bonuses and exceptional incentives given for top sales performers. Employee discount is awesome, and ongoing training is second to none. Commission or wage subsidy, and with changing market and more sales moving towards online, commissions and pay is dropping substantially accross multiple departments.
Competetive and honest sales.
All Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 13, 2014
Pros: competetive, fun, alot of socializing.
Cons: irritated customers.
Working for Futureshop has instilled the importance of communication, integrity, and organization into me. We are required to maintain a padfolio with all inventory levels, plays, focus sku's, sales, and connect pro sku's in it. We use these as well as T-Bar's and planners to ensure that our customers get exactly what they need and the best deal for it, all while being able to leave with a smile on their face, and with me knowing they will return to me for their next purchase.