Future Shop Employee Reviews

Fun and productive enviorment
Geek Squad Agent/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC16 June 2015
Typical day included assisting various customers with technical issues. Providing customers with efficient ways of payment. Assisting clients with credit card applications.
Pros
Good management, Friendly coworkers
Cons
Low wage, No benefits, no advancement
Fun place to work
Product Expert/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 December 2015
Good place to work. Got benefits as a part timer, understanding with schedule. Everyone treated well by management. Fast paced enviroment
Fun Place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Multiple locations10 October 2015
Fun atmosphere ,great place to work when you have a strong and right management team in place ,If working in commission it has great incentives.
Pros
Great Employee discounts, fun place to work around Technology.
Cons
No Job Security
LEARN FROM CHANGE AND CHALLENGES
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey Central City3 April 2015
- Never seemed like a long day at work
- Always had fun at work with the people while working
- Quality of work was appreciated
- I learnt a lot at Future Shop:
* People development
* Training and Coaching
* Scheduling and Supervising 20 associates
* Hiring and Interview Process
* Loss Prevention
* Time Management
* People Skills, Customer Service Skills, Cash Control
- Change of Management and changes within the company of letting people go and continue with the new or less staff have really made me learn from those changes and challenges that i have as an employee faced.
Pros
fun and growth
Cons
no job security
Fast past, exciting, No 2 days were ever the same
Multi-Channel Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge Ontario10 April 2015
A typical day at work was showing customers the latest and greatest technology available. I learned the differences between things like laptops, tv's, appliances and home theater products. As well as how to sell the correct product to the right customer. The management team was always up beat and fun to work with. They always ran the store in a professional way. Co-workers were also always a pleasure to work with. Rarely was there any issues between employees. The hardest part of my job was trying to sell to customers who had it in their head that they already knew more than you. And would blatantly tell you that you didn't know what you were talking about. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to see first hand new and exciting products before the consumer and getting hands on experience with it. As well as seeing a customer leave the store happy with what they purchased.
Pros
amazing co-workers, staff discount, exciting place to work
Cons
Some long hours, stock refresh slow at times.
Comfort and Enjoyment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 April 2015
It was honestly the most fun working for a company that was just as much into technology as I am. I have made lasting friendships not only with my colleagues but also with customers that I have interacted with. Adjusting your manners and tactics in order to have a proper communication with customers is a must in this location.

I have learned how the commission sales side works and have become very indulged in this setting. I also learned to research product knowledge more efficiently during our downtime.

My management and colleagues have become amazingly close with me and will never forget each day that I interacted with such an amazing team.

The hardest part of the job has to be dealing with difficult customers. Sometimes its definitely hard to discuss a compromise with customers who just don't want to listen. And yet, I have learned to become more patient and understanding with their needs and wants rather than what is better for the business even though our business targets are more focused by our higher-ups.
Pros
Commission.
Cons
Job Security.
Future Shop is a great place to develop new social skills and confidence, but with flaws in managment execution .
Entertainment Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, Kingsway23 August 2013
Future Shop is known for it's great customer service and product knowledge experts. It has taught me the values on how to grow as an associate within the company and become a role model to fellow employees. It's also helped me develop my personality when interacting with customers and to fully understand there needs.

Although there have been many strong assets that go along with the job, I found that the management at my particular store would under value and alienate certain individuals in particular departments.This has helped me learned from challenge and change within the work place and make me stronger through diversity.
Pros
Friendly environment, interact with people, fast paced, good benefits
Cons
inconsistant hours, managment neglecting employee's needs
Fast paced and challenging place to work. Numbers driven, fun and competitive.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2013
A typical day consisted of first a group meeting to discuss sales goals and targets. Then completing a checklist of chores to be done throughout the day. Selling home theatre products and services. I leaned some great tips on multi tasking in a faced paced environment. Management was however not in the best shape when I arrived. A lot of new managers that ended up being hired then fired by the store manager. Then the store manager himself was let go. The leadership was lacking. My co-workers were great people and I throughly enjoyed working with them. The hardest part about working there was the lack of direction and leadership. The best thing about the job was overall environment and co-workers.
Pros
free lunches ever once and a while and the employee discount.
Cons
inconsistant hours and dropping commission percentages.
Commission based
Digital Imaging Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 April 2013
The store wanted more women as sales people, so they assigned me to sale Cameras, so i needed training. For 3 months it was an active training while selling products.

I learned all kinda of information about cameras, video cameras, and home phones.

The department manager was great, and really encouraging.
A new store manager was hired in when I was still in training, and I was the first of many he replaced with his own people from his old store.

My fellow co-workers in my department were really nice and encouraging, helpful when asked questions

The hardest part was the sales, I don't like pushing someone to buy an item. Sales were based on commissions the highest product made me the most money. My values couldn't co-exist with theirs, I didn't like convincing someone to buy a product
Pros
my department manager, department co-workers, educational
Cons
commission based salary, no job security
Business shut down
Home Office Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON13 May 2016
Due to lack of inbound customers traffic Company was shut down and hundreds of employees were sent home. Due to increased competition the company could not survive
Pros
A good learning of electronics
Cons
less than 24 hours a week for part timers
Excellent work environment.
Home Office Sales Expert (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 October 2013
Selling computers to customers. Very extensive customer approach to find customers needs and provide excellent service to find what computer suits their needs. Recommend extra services to customers so when they get home everything is working how they like and also into the future.

Commission based sales can be very rewarding yet stressful. I learned how to self motivated. Gained a deeper understanding of people. Problem solving skills with finding the right need for customers.

Great team environment yet competitive. Management motivates and lets us work on our own.

Hardest part was constant rejection and to keep trying.

Most enjoyable is having fun with a customer during a sale and helping them find the right product and made things easier for them.
Pros
Freedom, allowed breaks or coffee runs when ever, listen to own music, care free atmosphere, walking around.
Cons
Slow at times means no customers and no money.
Company no longer in business
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 January 2016
This company is no longer in business.

Although my time here was excellent and allowed me to really develop my skills in leadership and management.
Fast paced at times. Fellow staff were easy to work with
Senior Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 February 2014
The day always starts with a group meeting discussing the wins of the previous day and the daily targets. We would review the department, and address anything that was out of place. Including the cleanliness of the dept. to pricing changes. The management was very much interested in your thoughts and wanted you to succeed. Your coworkers were all easy to get along with, and a pleasure to work beside. The hardest part was the extra long hours required over the Christmas Holidays, as it left very little time for family. The best part was the freedom to create your own success.
Cons
very log hours over Christmas Holidays....12-15 hr shifts at times
Decent student job
Entertainment Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire15 September 2015
Support from management, decent hours but poor salary unless you can sell a large volume of items and service plans. Some frustration when it comes to having demo electronics that don't work and can't be used to show clients the products.
Pros
Bonuses on sales
Cons
Monotone work
Good Money
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON2 February 2016
I worked at future shop and made excellent money. I found it easy to sell consumer electronics. Loved my job. Awards and recognition were great. Compensation was there when you worked hard. Selling was easy
Pros
Money, Discounts, Awards
Cons
Cut throat
Fast Pace, always completing something different
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2014
- A typical day at work? In the world of retail you hardly have a structured day. Tasks consistence are, assisting customer with purchases, sending customer units our for repairs, looking up Product Service information, process returns and exchanges and process products order from smartphones.

- What you learned? Everyday is different and at all times you have to maintain professionalism. This will build customer confidence and will assist them making a decision returning to your store, knowing that we are able to make their visit an enjoyable one.
Pros
Amazing culture around team work
Cons
Job Security
Lots of Experience, Bad Work Culture
Customer Service Rep. / Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 October 2014
A typical day at work is being treated poorly by co-workers and customers. I learned excellent customer service skills and how to save face in times of crisis. Management is disorganized. New managers are constantly being hired and, therefore, can't keep up the usual way things are run. This creates confusion and constant scheduling errors. Most enjoyable parts of the job are the paychecks and the satisfying feeling of helping out customers... even if some of them don't appreciate it.
Pros
Salary + commission, experience
Cons
Overtime, poor management, horrid customers
Hit or Miss
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 November 2013
Don't expect any type of job security. This company makes VERY poor decisions on the corporate level. Don't expect a good wage if you are a merchandiser or csr. Don't expect management to be competent.

In other words, don't have very high expectations for anything.
Pros
Good benefits, if you're full time. Co-workers can be fun
Cons
Almost anything. Corporate fails, management fails.
Great place back in the day
Software Accessories Manager (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC12 September 2015
I worked for Future Shop for only a few months but when new management took over, my 38 hours a week turned into 16. I'm sure many turnovers since 2001 so this may be a useless review.
Pros
Great staff to work with and high moral
Cons
Lack of job security
belle expérience de travail
Représentante aux ventes (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 May 2016
J'ai acquis beaucoup d'expérience au niveau du service à la clientèle et de la vente. Mes tâches principales étaient de répondre au besoin de la clientèle et d'arriver aux objectifs du département.