Future Shop Employee Reviews in Canada

Great opportunity to discover many different sales techniques and to apply them
seasonal sales associate (Former Employee) –  montrealSeptember 21, 2015
Great opportunity to discover many different sales techniques and to apply them. As a sales associate I learned from day one through 2 full days of training great sales basics and had many trainings through my 3 years. Lots of fun getting to know your client face to face and selling them a full package while maintaining a great margin.
Pros
commission flexible schedule lots of free knowledge
Cons
base salary
Amazing Team Culture - with a twist
Entertainment Associate/Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCApril 16, 2015
Future Shop offered an amazing team culture that was built on solidarity, but its Commission-based model made it difficult to get along with certain people at times. There were often opportunities for growth in terms of personal development, but typically never enough room to actually move up the ranks. Regardless, the work environment was generally very agreeable, as the staff always got along so well on a personal basis - as did the management team. Expectations were always high, but fair. This kept everybody in strong spirits even through difficult times. There were often difficulties meeting certain objectives, but tasking was always manageable and kept the actual customer service requirements equally manageable.
Pros
Well-balanced work load, Excellent team culture
Cons
Certain objectives were very difficult to obtain
Annual picnis were fun
Product expert (Former Employee) –  Trinity common BramptonOctober 22, 2015
It was a great place to work until they closed down on the 26th of
March 2015.
We had full benefits, staff discounts. Training every month. Perks for the best employee.
It was fun to work with all our team. We all worked as a one family
Pros
Staff discounts
Cons
Company had to close down
Fun and productive environment
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  325 Yonge Street, M5B 1R7, Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2015
Being one of the busiest retail stores in the downtown core, we are constantly bombarded with customers who have specific needs and requirements, the purpose of our jobs was to ensure that the customer left the store happy. A typical day at work starts with inventory in the morning, making sure all the stations and tills are spotless, and making sure to print out daily prices to make sure the customer got the best deal. There is a very specific culture that is unique to FS, with so many different personalities it may be at times be cumbersome to navigate; but the the crew always works as one unit, pushing each other to ensure that we were all productive all the time.
Pros
big screen tv in lounge, dental benefits for part-time associates, flexible work environment
Cons
no job security
positive hardworking environment
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 8, 2015
Enjoyable working environment, management was straight forward and organized. Unfortunately I only had a chance to be seasonal staff at their location.
Future Shop- Good Job
Sales Rep/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 15, 2016
- Greet Customers and help them
- Maintain the Store Throughout the day and return merchandise.
- It was a fast pace moving environment and we had to the meet quotas . Seasonal time it was busy like Christmas and "Back to School" so we had to prevent any theft from happening and provide good customer service to tons of customers. Unfortunately it was closed down Canada Wide.
Sales Associate/Gaming department (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 9, 2016
The typical day of at work stocking shelf's. I learned to do scan products into the computer. learned good time management skills. The co-workers were friendly. the hardest part of the job working with so many people. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning computer systems
Pros
Good lunch breaks.
Cons
Long hours.
Was a fun place to work
Customer Service Specialist & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ONOctober 27, 2015
I enjoyed working there while the store was open. The management was supportive as well as my fellow co-workers. I got to do something different and constructive everyday.
Comfort and Enjoyment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 20, 2015
It was honestly the most fun working for a company that was just as much into technology as I am. I have made lasting friendships not only with my colleagues but also with customers that I have interacted with. Adjusting your manners and tactics in order to have a proper communication with customers is a must in this location.

I have learned how the commission sales side works and have become very indulged in this setting. I also learned to research product knowledge more efficiently during our downtime.

My management and colleagues have become amazingly close with me and will never forget each day that I interacted with such an amazing team.

The hardest part of the job has to be dealing with difficult customers. Sometimes its definitely hard to discuss a compromise with customers who just don't want to listen. And yet, I have learned to become more patient and understanding with their needs and wants rather than what is better for the business even though our business targets are more focused by our higher-ups.
Pros
Commission.
Cons
Job Security.
Great place to learn about end user characterstics
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 30, 2016
Engaged with customers to build optimal product packages, services and solutions that suit their needs. Evaluated sales opportunities and provided application recommendations for the effective use of computer equipment
Pros
access to new tech
Cons
scheduling hours are done last minute
Setups and recoveries
Setup customers laptop (Former Employee) –  Young and EglintonJanuary 14, 2016
Working at Future Shop was a great opportunity because of how I am able to work with many different kinds of computers, helped customers setup their laptops by installing what programs they need. I also got to install screen shields for customers smartphones. I learned a lot about computer problems, and helped other Future Shop workers with their situations.
Pros
Working with laptops and smartphones
Fast past, exciting, No 2 days were ever the same
Multi-Channel Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge OntarioApril 10, 2015
A typical day at work was showing customers the latest and greatest technology available. I learned the differences between things like laptops, tv's, appliances and home theater products. As well as how to sell the correct product to the right customer. The management team was always up beat and fun to work with. They always ran the store in a professional way. Co-workers were also always a pleasure to work with. Rarely was there any issues between employees. The hardest part of my job was trying to sell to customers who had it in their head that they already knew more than you. And would blatantly tell you that you didn't know what you were talking about. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to see first hand new and exciting products before the consumer and getting hands on experience with it. As well as seeing a customer leave the store happy with what they purchased.
Pros
amazing co-workers, staff discount, exciting place to work
Cons
Some long hours, stock refresh slow at times.
future shop
Sales Consultant (connected solution department) (Former Employee) –  Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MBMarch 30, 2016
Thanks for the opportunity that was my first formal job, learnt and gained great experience with interpersonal skills and tech. knowledge there.
LEARN FROM CHANGE AND CHALLENGES
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey Central CityApril 3, 2015
- Never seemed like a long day at work
- Always had fun at work with the people while working
- Quality of work was appreciated
- I learnt a lot at Future Shop:
* People development
* Training and Coaching
* Scheduling and Supervising 20 associates
* Hiring and Interview Process
* Loss Prevention
* Time Management
* People Skills, Customer Service Skills, Cash Control
- Change of Management and changes within the company of letting people go and continue with the new or less staff have really made me learn from those changes and challenges that i have as an employee faced.
Pros
fun and growth
Cons
no job security
Productive sales oriented atmosphere and just one big family
Sales Consultant - Customer Sales Service Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 26, 2015
Always happy to go to work and spend time while learning and teaching and meeting new people with my second family/My work family!!! It was retail, and in retail you spend more time with staff than you do with family.
Pros
Long days that we called "Iron Man Days" and we were compensated with whatever free lunch we wanted, but with a $ cap
Cons
Holidays and special occasions always get interrupted but it was part of the job, but loved my Retail Family as well!
exciting to learn about new technology
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 13, 2016
During Future Shop operations the job was exciting and fast pace in the busy hours and especially boxing day. A cashier position was an entry job, it was easy and I had a chance to learn about sales and customer service.
Pros
Commission on small at the counter sales
Cons
Low hourly wage
Best Job I ever had
Installer, Computer Tech, Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 13, 2015
I would get to work to have an energizing morning meeting with the opening staff
Check my install schedule
Depending if I had jobs scheduled would decide my day in the store, I would do merchandising, help out in the computer tech room with repairs and setups, or help anywhere in the store.
if I had installs, I'd tidy up between jobs, help my supervisor if needed
end of day would consist of thoroughly cleaning the shop

I learned how to install car starters, helped maintain car dealership contracts and install car stereo's. I also learned that my dedication to quality was recognized enough to be offered a couple of shop manager positions in less than 2 years.

Management was awesome, treated everyone like family

co-workers were always friendly an inviting.

the job was never really hard, everyone was willing to help make things easily understandable

every day was enjoyable at future shop
Pros
Outstanding work enviroment
Cons
Stores country wide Closed......
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 7, 2016
I loved working at future shop. The environment was great and you work with great people. You learn a lot more about the products featured at future shop. It was great because when there was long days of work such as boxing day they would even provide you with lunch to work through the day.
fun and fast paced retail environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 1, 2016
although i was there for a short period of time, i really enjoyed working at future shop ( except for black friday. WOW!) I learned a lot and worked with great people.
Pros
occational free lunches and employee games days
Cons
stressful, and mean customers
Business shut down
Home Office Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 13, 2016
Due to lack of inbound customers traffic Company was shut down and hundreds of employees were sent home. Due to increased competition the company could not survive
Pros
A good learning of electronics
Cons
less than 24 hours a week for part timers