Future Shop Employee Reviews in Canada

Competitive and Engaging Environment
Cellular Expert/Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 3, 2016
At Future Shop I was given the opportunity to meet new faces every single day. There would be new challenges with each day as I worked to meet a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly quota in sales.

My management staff encouraged me to not only compete with the staff along side me but the staff from other locations across the country.

All of our co-workers would push each other to achieve higher targets and have smoother sales transactions with more efficient executions. However, even though we would push each other there was a certain morale integrity that wasn't taught but learned in the culture that Future Shop provided.

Future Shop was a great company to start my career in sales and customer service.

I would recommend anyone looking to get a start in sales to look to Best Buy Canada.
Pros
Opportunity to grow within the company, Accomodating management and scheduling
Cons
No warning to closure
Very good workplace environment
Product Expert/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2016
-A typical day at work would consist of Clean and Bright the department, selling appliances, TVs and Speakers, Providing great customer service
- I learned a lot about appliances and working with people, as well as negotiating
-Management was great, always there to help out and always have your back
- It was very easy to get along with co-workers but at the same time it was competitive working in the commission sales environment
-Hardest part of the job would be when customers bought big ticket items without warrantee and something would go wrong with it not too long down the road and we weren't able to do as much as we wished we could to help them out because of some of the policies.
- Most enjoyable part of working here was getting to know new people(customers and fellow employees)
sales organisation
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 16, 2015
while working at fureshop i learned lot about how to intract with the peoples because it was my first job in this country. day after day i start gaining confidence while working. it was a very fun place to work with goals and targets in mind. managment was very supportive. whenever need any help, they were always their to help. co- workers were like a family members because we spend most of the time in the store. the hardest part of the job was the long hours during christmas time every year with the focus to acheive target in mind. the most enjoyable part of the job was that everyday we get to see new customer with different culture and try to learn something new about their culture.
Pros
free lunches on vip sales
Cons
long shifts during christmas
My most enjoyable team in retail
Imaging & Entertainment Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONDecember 6, 2015
Had the lucky chance of working with a great team at my first retail position. Lots of fun with staff and customers alike. Great work environment, can get overwhelming with customers during the holidays though. Took all the shifts I could, wish there was more. Tried commission position, found it tricky.
Pros
Good benefits, nice events and promotions for employees
Cons
Only part time
Genuinely one of the best times of my life.
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJune 5, 2016
A typical day at work for me was getting to talk to people about computers, games and accessories for those things. It was one of my dream jobs.

I learned that there is such a thing as moving upwards. Something to look forward to. Knowing what I needed to know and making sure that if I didn't - I passed the customer along to someone that did.

My Co-workers were some of the best friends I'd ever met. We were able to talk to each other outside of work and have a good time when not around the workplace and functioned just as well within the workplace.

The hardest part of the job, was knowing whether or not the customer I'd deal with would have a question I could answer or couldn't answer. My biggest fear, was not knowing something.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was being surrounded by people that loved what they were doing and that helped me to love what I was doing in the process.
Fun, Friendly, happy enviroment
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABMay 16, 2016
I loved the hours I worked, it was Monday to Friday with Fridays being earlier work time and earlier getting off. I would unload trucks and make sure all the spots in the store were full. I would fill out the paper work and would give it to the truck drivers. I would do count in the morning and count items to make sure the numbers were right in the inventory. Fix isles to make them look great and do planograms to the correct way the store would want it. Change the daily price tags to correct sale price. On Tuesdays I would take out the new releases and set them up. I would do carry outs for customers, and make sure their needs were met. I would also be the person the other employees looked for if they needed some help. I learned how to use the computer software there and how to be a leader.
good money
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCMarch 16, 2016
pay was good,good environment,good people,i learnt a lot in the short period of time i was there. i wanna to stay but since this was seasonal position they gave this job to someone else with less experience & minimum wages
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours on boxing day, not allowed to take boxing week off
Great co-workers and fun atmosphere
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BCJuly 8, 2016
I worked at Future Shop for close to two years. I moved from entertainment to digital imagining then I moved to BC and they moved me to the Samsung store and then TVs eventually. I'd give the all around work experience a 7 but in terms of the people I'd give it a 9. Days weren't that long and they went by pretty quickly. I'm gonna be honest, with what Best Buy the company did to Future Shop and it's employees was underly horrible so its hard for me to say really much nice things about the company itself. But the store and people and atmosphere was top notch.
Pros
amazing crew, fooseball table in the break room, lots of help, great atmosphere
Cons
commission based, boring at times.
Thought I was selling computers...
Computer Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 14, 2016
I went into the job with the title "Computer Salesmen" however after training it really felt like "Warrenty Salesmen" cause that really all I was selling. This job was not one of my favorites for sure, I was disappointed to now be selling something I myself wouldn't buy but I tried to move past that and just be honest with my customers on the warranties and surprisingly that worked and three months later I was comfortably selling computers and letting customers choose if they were interested in Warranties which sounds good except as a salesmen I was supposed to make commision on sales however trouble with my manager getting stuck in another country had me left without this, so I was still making my training wage 3 months later while my co workers used there name to take my sales, eventually I was switched to Stock where they wanted me to Stay until 3am, and as a transit rider I have no way to do that, so I made the decision to end my employment with them.
Pros
Job wasn't to bad
Cons
Mangers
Access to the latest consumer technology
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 4, 2016
As a technician, having first hand, hands on experience with new consumer technology was like Christmas came early (on a regular basis). That was the experience at Future Shop, especially after CES.

Future Shop sharpened my technical knowledge, diagnosing, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of computer systems and peripheral devices .We were faced with new and ever so weird issues all the time. Some not so technical while others were. The amalgamation of different people and personalities from the tech savvy to tech inept, from the rich to the poor, from the nice to the not so nice customers, helped to hone and strengthen my consumer service skills.
Pros
Play with new tech
Fun place to work at with different people to interact with
Product Expert (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 11, 2016
Typical day at work would mainly be selling product and services to customers.

I have learned that each product and service is built for different people and for different uses. Some people might think they need product A but actually product B is a better fit. There is a need to educate customers and end-users on certain specifics.

Management was great at Futureshop, considering sales are the bottom of the food chain in the corporate ladder, management has be fair on requests and needs.

Hardest part of the job is to help customers differentiate hardware malfunction and physical damage on devices.

The most enjoyable part of the job is educating people what I've learned in product studies and developments.
Pros
Flexible break time
Cons
long hours during boxing day
fun place
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCDecember 19, 2015
Future Shop was a fun place to work the management lacks certain aspects of customer service skills and there were no benefits and the salary was minimum wage
Computer maintenance and repair
Geek Squad (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJune 17, 2016
When customers brought their computers to us I would take them in and take notes on what each computer and laptop need to have done to them to correct the computer issue at the time. I would then repair or do maintenance on each unit assigned to me whether it virus removal , computer tune up or hardware repair. I would then return the computer unit to the customer explaining what was done to their unit and then complete the process by completing the payment process and returning the computer to the customer.
Fun place to work
Product Expert/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 3, 2015
Good place to work. Got benefits as a part timer, understanding with schedule. Everyone treated well by management. Fast paced enviroment
Great people made the job so awesome
Multi-Channel Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 8, 2016
The co-workers made the job so great as well as management. The hardest part of the job was resisting the urge to buy stuff every day. I learned plenty of things from my managers and fellow coworkers. I learned leadership skills, administrative skills, sales skills, and organizational skills. It was a great place to work. Customers were great, it was a fun environment.
Pros
Discounts on products, BBQ's, team building exercises, sports competitions, Christmas parties
Cons
Sales targets
Best Place to work!
Customer Service Representative/Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 8, 2016
Working at Future Shop was the best. Everyone got along and worked great together! The management knew how to motivate you to do better everyday.
Pros
Cons
Closed down
Fun Place to work
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Multiple locationsOctober 10, 2015
Fun atmosphere ,great place to work when you have a strong and right management team in place ,If working in commission it has great incentives.
Pros
Great Employee discounts, fun place to work around Technology.
Cons
No Job Security
High Pressure Sales
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 26, 2016
Future Shop was a commission only job and you were required to make your comission quota's. If you did not meet those standards it would be encouraged for you to leave or choose a different path. Some people were suspicious of other people stealing sales and or accusing people of stealing sales. Although, overall, the co-workers were pleasant and always willing to help when needed.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
high pressure
Productive place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, OntarioAugust 17, 2015
Great experience, very nice place to work.

always have something to do and the team is reall dedicated to achive great result at the end of the day.

the management team is accurate.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
Company no longer in business
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJanuary 25, 2016
This company is no longer in business.

Although my time here was excellent and allowed me to really develop my skills in leadership and management.