Future Shop Employee Reviews in Canada

Great people made the job so awesome
Multi-Channel Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 8, 2016
The co-workers made the job so great as well as management. The hardest part of the job was resisting the urge to buy stuff every day. I learned plenty of things from my managers and fellow coworkers. I learned leadership skills, administrative skills, sales skills, and organizational skills. It was a great place to work. Customers were great, it was a fun environment.
Pros
Discounts on products, BBQ's, team building exercises, sports competitions, Christmas parties
Cons
Sales targets
Access to the latest consumer technology
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 4, 2016
As a technician, having first hand, hands on experience with new consumer technology was like Christmas came early (on a regular basis). That was the experience at Future Shop, especially after CES.

Future Shop sharpened my technical knowledge, diagnosing, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of computer systems and peripheral devices .We were faced with new and ever so weird issues all the time. Some not so technical while others were. The amalgamation of different people and personalities from the tech savvy to tech inept, from the rich to the poor, from the nice to the not so nice customers, helped to hone and strengthen my consumer service skills.
Pros
Play with new tech
High Pressure Sales
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 26, 2016
Future Shop was a commission only job and you were required to make your comission quota's. If you did not meet those standards it would be encouraged for you to leave or choose a different path. Some people were suspicious of other people stealing sales and or accusing people of stealing sales. Although, overall, the co-workers were pleasant and always willing to help when needed.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
high pressure
Fun, Friendly, happy enviroment
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABMay 16, 2016
I loved the hours I worked, it was Monday to Friday with Fridays being earlier work time and earlier getting off. I would unload trucks and make sure all the spots in the store were full. I would fill out the paper work and would give it to the truck drivers. I would do count in the morning and count items to make sure the numbers were right in the inventory. Fix isles to make them look great and do planograms to the correct way the store would want it. Change the daily price tags to correct sale price. On Tuesdays I would take out the new releases and set them up. I would do carry outs for customers, and make sure their needs were met. I would also be the person the other employees looked for if they needed some help. I learned how to use the computer software there and how to be a leader.
Fun place to work at with different people to interact with
Product Expert (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 11, 2016
Typical day at work would mainly be selling product and services to customers.

I have learned that each product and service is built for different people and for different uses. Some people might think they need product A but actually product B is a better fit. There is a need to educate customers and end-users on certain specifics.

Management was great at Futureshop, considering sales are the bottom of the food chain in the corporate ladder, management has be fair on requests and needs.

Hardest part of the job is to help customers differentiate hardware malfunction and physical damage on devices.

The most enjoyable part of the job is educating people what I've learned in product studies and developments.
Pros
Flexible break time
Cons
long hours during boxing day
Future Shop- Good Job
Sales Rep/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 15, 2016
- Greet Customers and help them
- Maintain the Store Throughout the day and return merchandise.
- It was a fast pace moving environment and we had to the meet quotas . Seasonal time it was busy like Christmas and "Back to School" so we had to prevent any theft from happening and provide good customer service to tons of customers. Unfortunately it was closed down Canada Wide.
Sales Associate/Gaming department (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 9, 2016
The typical day of at work stocking shelf's. I learned to do scan products into the computer. learned good time management skills. The co-workers were friendly. the hardest part of the job working with so many people. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning computer systems
Pros
Good lunch breaks.
Cons
Long hours.
Great place to learn about end user characterstics
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 30, 2016
Engaged with customers to build optimal product packages, services and solutions that suit their needs. Evaluated sales opportunities and provided application recommendations for the effective use of computer equipment
Pros
access to new tech
Cons
scheduling hours are done last minute
Very good workplace environment
Product Expert/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2016
-A typical day at work would consist of Clean and Bright the department, selling appliances, TVs and Speakers, Providing great customer service
- I learned a lot about appliances and working with people, as well as negotiating
-Management was great, always there to help out and always have your back
- It was very easy to get along with co-workers but at the same time it was competitive working in the commission sales environment
-Hardest part of the job would be when customers bought big ticket items without warrantee and something would go wrong with it not too long down the road and we weren't able to do as much as we wished we could to help them out because of some of the policies.
- Most enjoyable part of working here was getting to know new people(customers and fellow employees)
Setups and recoveries
Setup customers laptop (Former Employee) –  Young and EglintonJanuary 14, 2016
Working at Future Shop was a great opportunity because of how I am able to work with many different kinds of computers, helped customers setup their laptops by installing what programs they need. I also got to install screen shields for customers smartphones. I learned a lot about computer problems, and helped other Future Shop workers with their situations.
Pros
Working with laptops and smartphones
exciting to learn about new technology
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 13, 2016
During Future Shop operations the job was exciting and fast pace in the busy hours and especially boxing day. A cashier position was an entry job, it was easy and I had a chance to learn about sales and customer service.
Pros
Commission on small at the counter sales
Cons
Low hourly wage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 7, 2016
I loved working at future shop. The environment was great and you work with great people. You learn a lot more about the products featured at future shop. It was great because when there was long days of work such as boxing day they would even provide you with lunch to work through the day.
good money
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCMarch 16, 2016
pay was good,good environment,good people,i learnt a lot in the short period of time i was there. i wanna to stay but since this was seasonal position they gave this job to someone else with less experience & minimum wages
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours on boxing day, not allowed to take boxing week off
Competitive and Engaging Environment
Cellular Expert/Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 3, 2016
At Future Shop I was given the opportunity to meet new faces every single day. There would be new challenges with each day as I worked to meet a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly quota in sales.

My management staff encouraged me to not only compete with the staff along side me but the staff from other locations across the country.

All of our co-workers would push each other to achieve higher targets and have smoother sales transactions with more efficient executions. However, even though we would push each other there was a certain morale integrity that wasn't taught but learned in the culture that Future Shop provided.

Future Shop was a great company to start my career in sales and customer service.

I would recommend anyone looking to get a start in sales to look to Best Buy Canada.
Pros
Opportunity to grow within the company, Accomodating management and scheduling
Cons
No warning to closure
sales organisation
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONDecember 16, 2015
while working at fureshop i learned lot about how to intract with the peoples because it was my first job in this country. day after day i start gaining confidence while working. it was a very fun place to work with goals and targets in mind. managment was very supportive. whenever need any help, they were always their to help. co- workers were like a family members because we spend most of the time in the store. the hardest part of the job was the long hours during christmas time every year with the focus to acheive target in mind. the most enjoyable part of the job was that everyday we get to see new customer with different culture and try to learn something new about their culture.
Pros
free lunches on vip sales
Cons
long shifts during christmas
fun and fast paced retail environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 1, 2016
although i was there for a short period of time, i really enjoyed working at future shop ( except for black friday. WOW!) I learned a lot and worked with great people.
Pros
occational free lunches and employee games days
Cons
stressful, and mean customers
Business shut down
Home Office Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 13, 2016
Due to lack of inbound customers traffic Company was shut down and hundreds of employees were sent home. Due to increased competition the company could not survive
Pros
A good learning of electronics
Cons
less than 24 hours a week for part timers
My most enjoyable team in retail
Imaging & Entertainment Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONDecember 6, 2015
Had the lucky chance of working with a great team at my first retail position. Lots of fun with staff and customers alike. Great work environment, can get overwhelming with customers during the holidays though. Took all the shifts I could, wish there was more. Tried commission position, found it tricky.
Pros
Good benefits, nice events and promotions for employees
Cons
Only part time
Productive sales oriented atmosphere and just one big family
Sales Consultant - Customer Sales Service Support (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 26, 2015
Always happy to go to work and spend time while learning and teaching and meeting new people with my second family/My work family!!! It was retail, and in retail you spend more time with staff than you do with family.
Pros
Long days that we called "Iron Man Days" and we were compensated with whatever free lunch we wanted, but with a $ cap
Cons
Holidays and special occasions always get interrupted but it was part of the job, but loved my Retail Family as well!
Fun and Competitive Sales Environment
Entertainment Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONNovember 18, 2015
Future Shop Waterloo was a good work environment for developing and honing my sales work ethic and techniques. Management and co-workers were all very respectively and accommodating to a variety of circumstances ranging from requiring days off to filling in when the floor got busy. Sad to see the company go.
Pros
Incentives for performing better
Cons
Lots of standing