Future Shop Employee Reviews

Good, but sad they are gone.
Entertainment and Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK1 February 2017
I worked for Future Shop for just under 7 years. I went through several different management changes throughout my time. Although I did enjoy my time there and the people I met, the salary was much to be desired. I miss the company.
Futureshop
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS23 January 2017
Fun place to work, great benefits available. Quality work amongst co-workers was a struggle and made other associates lives very difficult. Often products were sold out prior to a sale.
Fun place
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2016
- great co-workers
- amazing management
- management took care of the employees ( flexible with hours)
- rewarded with company shares
- could move from department to department
- promotions within the company
Pros
Flexible and benefits
Fun, competitive job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 November 2016
At the start of the shift the sales manager would have a meeting with the staff on that shift to go over sales numbers, strategies, and goals. It would also get opened up to talk about any issues or concerns from staff. Next it would be out to the sales floor to first help customers, then work on stock, tags, and if need be, planograms. During the shift if there was any downtime or slower business we would clean, dust, and tidy the section we were responsible for.

I learned about working in retail. How to do planograms, set up displays and demos, and how to handle stock. I also learned the process of inventory counts and loss prevention.

Management was always helpful if there were any issues, concerns or questions.

Co workers were always very competitive which made it enjoyable and motivating, but at the same time light and fun.

Hardest part of the job was when someone called in sick on a busy day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the competitiveness.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
Very little room for advancement
Future shop a real Canadian company
Entertainment Expertity (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2017
I work for best canada for about four years 2 of the years for future shop and as a extra year as a Coop Student.
When i first started there my man tasks were minor repair to hardware issues in Customer units.
later as i was trained i learned how to mange confidential inform with managing data backup and data entry for customers as well as the company its self.
In the year i moved over to selling Computer and other tech related accessories. learn how to fully operate a sales system , as well as manage sale numbers.
after about 4 months i switch to gaming as i was entering my later years in high school where it needed more attention.
the following spring the company became one with best buy and the department i was in was being removed , so i was offered a position of PPA( Product Process ) after one year in the job i went o a full time position were i manged truck numbers as well as inventory levels. furthering my knowledge in data entry
Pros
Family mentality Canadian
Cons
Productive and fun work place with tons of perks
Elite Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2016
Great Company to work for with great value and benefits, amazing training program for growth and development.
Pros
Commsion
Cons
too much politic
Good Place to Work, While it lasted.
Home Theater Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 March 2017
Future Shop had an excellent work culture. From up-to-date courses on the newest technologies we learned about the newest products specific to our departments. The commissions were fair, but hard to attain. In order to draw commission, each employee had to upsell customers with warranties, services, and accessories. It was a shame that when Best Buy bought out Future Shop the changes that were made ended up with Future Shop closing it's doors forever.
Pros
excellent team building and employee satisfaction focus
Cons
commissions were hard to attain.
Great atmosphere with tons of room to grow and find your place.
Department Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2016
days were sometimes long and the work life balance wasent always great at times.

they demanded alot of you but you also grew with every challenge.

sales was a challenging atmosphere that gave you alot of oppurtunity to make alot of money.

there was a family like atmosphere and stores as well as managers worked together very well.
Pros
atmosphere, oppurtunity
Cons
long hours, poor work-life balance
loved it and miss it
sales-cashier-customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 June 2016
Aamazing! Great managers and staff and team members. Benefits were good. Good deals amazing Christmas parties that were held and great fun activities.
I did this review already.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON17 February 2017
Great place to work but it closed down. Great managers, co workers, easy to make a lot of money and get great manager training in the programs. Great place if you work hard.
Friendly staff and friendly management.
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 October 2016
I would generally just ring through customer orders, help out with bigger items, and help sales associates with their customers. Here I have learned how to work and close a till. My co-workers felt more like a big family of friends, and our manager were responsible but still very cool people. The hardest part of the job was pretty much anything to do with the cellshop, such as PSP exchanges, the order in which you had to follow steps was very complicated, and I tended to struggle with this the most out of anything. The most enjoyable part of my job was being in an atmosphere of people I could talk to about our similar technological interests, this is what I enjoy in a work place.
Pros
Friendly people, unstressful managers
Cons
standing in one area for too long
My thoughts on my job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Customer Service Representative17 January 2017
I have been working for Future Shop/Bestbuy for almost 5 years now, the work is very good. Sometimes it can be busy and has it's slow day's.
The work is great and the people I work with are like family at times. Sometimes when it becomes busy I can't help at the desk because of being at the till area, I do wish at times we had more staff. I do enjoy helping customers and co-workers.
Pros
I enjoy my job with working with customers.
Cons
Wish I had more hours.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 February 2017
People respond to negative performance reviews the same way death row inmates respond when questioned about their culpability; everybody insists they’re innocent and the wrong man got the rap. Sure, you may be more likely to reject a verdict if it will end your life, not just your job, but whenever we get publicly chastised for bad behavior our instinct is to defend ourselves and our decisions.
Pros
Decent
Cons
decent
Great Company
Entertaniment Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 January 2017
I really loved my job at Future Shop it made me grow in so many ways as a person, Employee and a manager. Work culture was great. The hardest part of the job was to keep performing and profiting while having resources are constantly being cut. the most enjoyable part was the people and the friendship made...
Pros
People
Cons
Shiting down'
Amazing place to work at.
MANAGER ON DUTY (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2016
Learned a lot about retail culture and operations. Was exposed to different styles of management over my 7 year tenure, Co-worker were amazing, wonderful people to work with. The hardest part of the job was trying to deal with extremely difficult customers. Loved working there and will definitely miss it.
Pros
Fun environment, always get to work with new tech
Cons
Too much pressure at times
Home Theater Installer
Home Theatre Installation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 November 2016
The work itself was great. Installing relatively high end home theater systems and doing custom wiring for customers. The management was good for the most part but there were unfortunately multiple labor law violations. I learnt a lot at Future Shop, but they are no longer around.
Competitive and Engaging Environment
Cellular Expert/Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 April 2016
At Future Shop I was given the opportunity to meet new faces every single day. There would be new challenges with each day as I worked to meet a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly quota in sales.

My management staff encouraged me to not only compete with the staff along side me but the staff from other locations across the country.

All of our co-workers would push each other to achieve higher targets and have smoother sales transactions with more efficient executions. However, even though we would push each other there was a certain morale integrity that wasn't taught but learned in the culture that Future Shop provided.

Future Shop was a great company to start my career in sales and customer service.

I would recommend anyone looking to get a start in sales to look to Best Buy Canada.
Pros
Opportunity to grow within the company, Accomodating management and scheduling
Cons
No warning to closure
Fun workplace
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON12 March 2017
My manager and coworkers were easy going and entertaining at times. It was a fun environment for what it is. During night shift hours we could listen to our own music and during day shifts we were appreciated by our sales team with assisting them in closing sales by going above and beyond to provide the product the customer requested.
Great working environment, amazing co-workers who were really friendly and helpful. Awesome managers who treated everyone with respect and fairness.
Customer Service specialist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 January 2017
A usual working day would start with a brief presentation given by manager to discuss the goals of the day, and going over the flyer to get an idea about the products on sale. Store would open at 9:00 am, and I would greet customers with smile and interact with them to inform them about the upcoming sales and different products, as well as assist them with their car installation appointments and scheduled deliveries. If there was any complicated procedure that I would encounter as a trainee then my experienced co-workers were always ready to help me through the process. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with people and assisting them in finding the desirable product, and just keep them engaged during their visit, and it would give me great satisfaction in seeing a smile on their faces afterwards. I learnt that great communication skills helped me a lot in building long term relationships with my customers.
Pros
Never felt tired during work, got decent lunch hours and lunch room had a tv, a fridge, lockers and a play station as well as foosball table.
Cons
Just the normal work place gossip, other than that it was great.
Fun place to work at with different people to interact with
Product Expert (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 April 2016
Typical day at work would mainly be selling product and services to customers.

I have learned that each product and service is built for different people and for different uses. Some people might think they need product A but actually product B is a better fit. There is a need to educate customers and end-users on certain specifics.

Management was great at Futureshop, considering sales are the bottom of the food chain in the corporate ladder, management has be fair on requests and needs.

Hardest part of the job is to help customers differentiate hardware malfunction and physical damage on devices.

The most enjoyable part of the job is educating people what I've learned in product studies and developments.
Pros
Flexible break time
Cons
long hours during boxing day