Future Shop Employee Reviews in Canada

High Pressure Sales
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 26, 2016
Future Shop was a commission only job and you were required to make your comission quota's. If you did not meet those standards it would be encouraged for you to leave or choose a different path. Some people were suspicious of other people stealing sales and or accusing people of stealing sales. Although, overall, the co-workers were pleasant and always willing to help when needed.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
high pressure
Fun, Friendly, happy enviroment
Product Process Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, ABMay 16, 2016
I loved the hours I worked, it was Monday to Friday with Fridays being earlier work time and earlier getting off. I would unload trucks and make sure all the spots in the store were full. I would fill out the paper work and would give it to the truck drivers. I would do count in the morning and count items to make sure the numbers were right in the inventory. Fix isles to make them look great and do planograms to the correct way the store would want it. Change the daily price tags to correct sale price. On Tuesdays I would take out the new releases and set them up. I would do carry outs for customers, and make sure their needs were met. I would also be the person the other employees looked for if they needed some help. I learned how to use the computer software there and how to be a leader.
Business shut down
Home Office Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 13, 2016
Due to lack of inbound customers traffic Company was shut down and hundreds of employees were sent home. Due to increased competition the company could not survive
Pros
A good learning of electronics
Cons
less than 24 hours a week for part timers
Respect
Operations Manager/ASM (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 11, 2016
You really only have one dream job and for me this was it. It will be difficult to find a replacement. I believe though it is what you make of it.
fast paced work environment
Tech Lead (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 9, 2016
Great for multitaskers, often was diagnosing computers at the test bench, offering phone support, and repairing/installing PCs inside the tech room.
Sales Associate/Gaming department (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 9, 2016
The typical day of at work stocking shelf's. I learned to do scan products into the computer. learned good time management skills. The co-workers were friendly. the hardest part of the job working with so many people. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning computer systems
Pros
Good lunch breaks.
Cons
Long hours.
Great people made the job so awesome
Multi-Channel Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 8, 2016
The co-workers made the job so great as well as management. The hardest part of the job was resisting the urge to buy stuff every day. I learned plenty of things from my managers and fellow coworkers. I learned leadership skills, administrative skills, sales skills, and organizational skills. It was a great place to work. Customers were great, it was a fun environment.
Pros
Discounts on products, BBQ's, team building exercises, sports competitions, Christmas parties
Cons
Sales targets
Access to the latest consumer technology
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 4, 2016
As a technician, having first hand, hands on experience with new consumer technology was like Christmas came early (on a regular basis). That was the experience at Future Shop, especially after CES.

Future Shop sharpened my technical knowledge, diagnosing, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of computer systems and peripheral devices .We were faced with new and ever so weird issues all the time. Some not so technical while others were. The amalgamation of different people and personalities from the tech savvy to tech inept, from the rich to the poor, from the nice to the not so nice customers, helped to hone and strengthen my consumer service skills.
Pros
Play with new tech
Tiresome
Commis à l'entrepôt (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 1, 2016
It was hard job
it was very tiresome
i had to move the product in the backstore, the warehouse. Heavy products.
I ahd to be there very ealry like 6AM
exciting to learn about new technology
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 13, 2016
During Future Shop operations the job was exciting and fast pace in the busy hours and especially boxing day. A cashier position was an entry job, it was easy and I had a chance to learn about sales and customer service.
Pros
Commission on small at the counter sales
Cons
Low hourly wage
Fun place to work at with different people to interact with
Product Expert (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCApril 11, 2016
Typical day at work would mainly be selling product and services to customers.

I have learned that each product and service is built for different people and for different uses. Some people might think they need product A but actually product B is a better fit. There is a need to educate customers and end-users on certain specifics.

Management was great at Futureshop, considering sales are the bottom of the food chain in the corporate ladder, management has be fair on requests and needs.

Hardest part of the job is to help customers differentiate hardware malfunction and physical damage on devices.

The most enjoyable part of the job is educating people what I've learned in product studies and developments.
Pros
Flexible break time
Cons
long hours during boxing day
Summer job
Merchandising and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 11, 2016
Being a Merchandiser/Sales person at Future shop was a great experience. Having new challenges and goal to meet with great customer skills.
Pros
sales
Cons
summer job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 7, 2016
I loved working at future shop. The environment was great and you work with great people. You learn a lot more about the products featured at future shop. It was great because when there was long days of work such as boxing day they would even provide you with lunch to work through the day.
Sales Associate/Customer service (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 6, 2016
The company was based on commission it was very competettive. It was a fast paced environment that dealt with electronics.
Competitive and Engaging Environment
Cellular Expert/Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 3, 2016
At Future Shop I was given the opportunity to meet new faces every single day. There would be new challenges with each day as I worked to meet a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly quota in sales.

My management staff encouraged me to not only compete with the staff along side me but the staff from other locations across the country.

All of our co-workers would push each other to achieve higher targets and have smoother sales transactions with more efficient executions. However, even though we would push each other there was a certain morale integrity that wasn't taught but learned in the culture that Future Shop provided.

Future Shop was a great company to start my career in sales and customer service.

I would recommend anyone looking to get a start in sales to look to Best Buy Canada.
Pros
Opportunity to grow within the company, Accomodating management and scheduling
Cons
No warning to closure
Great place to learn about end user characterstics
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONMarch 30, 2016
Engaged with customers to build optimal product packages, services and solutions that suit their needs. Evaluated sales opportunities and provided application recommendations for the effective use of computer equipment
Pros
access to new tech
Cons
scheduling hours are done last minute
future shop
Sales Consultant (connected solution department) (Former Employee) –  Pembina Hwy, Winnipeg, MBMarch 30, 2016
Thanks for the opportunity that was my first formal job, learnt and gained great experience with interpersonal skills and tech. knowledge there.
productive
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSMarch 20, 2016
good work enviroment.
alway training and learning
always moving
great meeting different people
always a different challenges
Pros
extras
Cons
not enough hours
good money
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BCMarch 16, 2016
pay was good,good environment,good people,i learnt a lot in the short period of time i was there. i wanna to stay but since this was seasonal position they gave this job to someone else with less experience & minimum wages
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours on boxing day, not allowed to take boxing week off
an okay job for temporary work
Stock worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 16, 2016
this job was often dull and quiet. I was not able to communicate with customers and I rarely got too speak with other employees.