Future Shop Employee Reviews

Fun, competitive job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 November 2016
At the start of the shift the sales manager would have a meeting with the staff on that shift to go over sales numbers, strategies, and goals. It would also get opened up to talk about any issues or concerns from staff. Next it would be out to the sales floor to first help customers, then work on stock, tags, and if need be, planograms. During the shift if there was any downtime or slower business we would clean, dust, and tidy the section we were responsible for.

I learned about working in retail. How to do planograms, set up displays and demos, and how to handle stock. I also learned the process of inventory counts and loss prevention.

Management was always helpful if there were any issues, concerns or questions.

Co workers were always very competitive which made it enjoyable and motivating, but at the same time light and fun.

Hardest part of the job was when someone called in sick on a busy day.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the competitiveness.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
Very little room for advancement
Fun place
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 September 2016
- great co-workers
- amazing management
- management took care of the employees ( flexible with hours)
- rewarded with company shares
- could move from department to department
- promotions within the company
Pros
Flexible and benefits
Competitive and Engaging Environment
Cellular Expert/Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC3 April 2016
At Future Shop I was given the opportunity to meet new faces every single day. There would be new challenges with each day as I worked to meet a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly quota in sales.

My management staff encouraged me to not only compete with the staff along side me but the staff from other locations across the country.

All of our co-workers would push each other to achieve higher targets and have smoother sales transactions with more efficient executions. However, even though we would push each other there was a certain morale integrity that wasn't taught but learned in the culture that Future Shop provided.

Future Shop was a great company to start my career in sales and customer service.

I would recommend anyone looking to get a start in sales to look to Best Buy Canada.
Pros
Opportunity to grow within the company, Accomodating management and scheduling
Cons
No warning to closure
Amazing place to work at.
MANAGER ON DUTY (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 September 2016
Learned a lot about retail culture and operations. Was exposed to different styles of management over my 7 year tenure, Co-worker were amazing, wonderful people to work with. The hardest part of the job was trying to deal with extremely difficult customers. Loved working there and will definitely miss it.
Pros
Fun environment, always get to work with new tech
Cons
Too much pressure at times
Fun place to work at with different people to interact with
Product Expert (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC11 April 2016
Typical day at work would mainly be selling product and services to customers.

I have learned that each product and service is built for different people and for different uses. Some people might think they need product A but actually product B is a better fit. There is a need to educate customers and end-users on certain specifics.

Management was great at Futureshop, considering sales are the bottom of the food chain in the corporate ladder, management has be fair on requests and needs.

Hardest part of the job is to help customers differentiate hardware malfunction and physical damage on devices.

The most enjoyable part of the job is educating people what I've learned in product studies and developments.
Pros
Flexible break time
Cons
long hours during boxing day
Great atmosphere with tons of room to grow and find your place.
Department Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 December 2016
days were sometimes long and the work life balance wasent always great at times.

they demanded alot of you but you also grew with every challenge.

sales was a challenging atmosphere that gave you alot of oppurtunity to make alot of money.

there was a family like atmosphere and stores as well as managers worked together very well.
Pros
atmosphere, oppurtunity
Cons
long hours, poor work-life balance
Sales Associate/Gaming department (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 May 2016
The typical day of at work stocking shelf's. I learned to do scan products into the computer. learned good time management skills. The co-workers were friendly. the hardest part of the job working with so many people. the most enjoyable part of the job was learning computer systems
Pros
Good lunch breaks.
Cons
Long hours.
Very good workplace environment
Product Expert/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 February 2016
-A typical day at work would consist of Clean and Bright the department, selling appliances, TVs and Speakers, Providing great customer service
- I learned a lot about appliances and working with people, as well as negotiating
-Management was great, always there to help out and always have your back
- It was very easy to get along with co-workers but at the same time it was competitive working in the commission sales environment
-Hardest part of the job would be when customers bought big ticket items without warrantee and something would go wrong with it not too long down the road and we weren't able to do as much as we wished we could to help them out because of some of the policies.
- Most enjoyable part of working here was getting to know new people(customers and fellow employees)
Excellent hours
Sales Associate/Gaming department (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON30 August 2016
The work is very productive with excellent job opportunities for younger generations. Learned how to add electors to polls. Learned excellent time management skills. the hardest part of the day was learning to deal with certain customers with long names. The most enjoyable part of the job was the learning experience.
Pros
free hours
Cons
long working experience.
Great Workplace with Great people
Product Process Associate (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC28 September 2016
a typical day at work can be stressful. the learned information varies from price checks to equipment checks to ethical customer service,
Great management and coworkers. hardest part of the job would be memorizing all the chronological tasks. Most enjoyable part was customer service.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Home Theater Installer
Home Theatre Installation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 November 2016
The work itself was great. Installing relatively high end home theater systems and doing custom wiring for customers. The management was good for the most part but there were unfortunately multiple labor law violations. I learnt a lot at Future Shop, but they are no longer around.
Friendly staff and friendly management.
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB6 October 2016
I would generally just ring through customer orders, help out with bigger items, and help sales associates with their customers. Here I have learned how to work and close a till. My co-workers felt more like a big family of friends, and our manager were responsible but still very cool people. The hardest part of the job was pretty much anything to do with the cellshop, such as PSP exchanges, the order in which you had to follow steps was very complicated, and I tended to struggle with this the most out of anything. The most enjoyable part of my job was being in an atmosphere of people I could talk to about our similar technological interests, this is what I enjoy in a work place.
Pros
Friendly people, unstressful managers
Cons
standing in one area for too long
Overall a good place to work
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 October 2016
This was a good job for a high school student. Getting to work in a consumer electronics store with the latest gadgets was fun. There is commission based pay structure so it somewhat of a competitive atmosphere. Good place to develop sales techniques.
Great people made the job so awesome
Multi-Channel Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 May 2016
The co-workers made the job so great as well as management. The hardest part of the job was resisting the urge to buy stuff every day. I learned plenty of things from my managers and fellow coworkers. I learned leadership skills, administrative skills, sales skills, and organizational skills. It was a great place to work. Customers were great, it was a fun environment.
Pros
Discounts on products, BBQ's, team building exercises, sports competitions, Christmas parties
Cons
Sales targets
Commision sales
Car Audio Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 December 2016
commisioned sales, forced to sell warranty even if you dont beleive it is worth it. taught to be pushy with customers over warrenty options. brutally bad management
Pros
Co workers are nice
Cons
management on all levels
sales organisation
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 December 2015
while working at fureshop i learned lot about how to intract with the peoples because it was my first job in this country. day after day i start gaining confidence while working. it was a very fun place to work with goals and targets in mind. managment was very supportive. whenever need any help, they were always their to help. co- workers were like a family members because we spend most of the time in the store. the hardest part of the job was the long hours during christmas time every year with the focus to acheive target in mind. the most enjoyable part of the job was that everyday we get to see new customer with different culture and try to learn something new about their culture.
Pros
free lunches on vip sales
Cons
long shifts during christmas
Productive and fun work place with tons of perks
Elite Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 July 2016
Great Company to work for with great value and benefits, amazing training program for growth and development.
Pros
Commsion
Cons
too much politic
Fun Place To Work
ConnectPro Lead AutoTech (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2016
Learn new things everyday, get to see and use new tech. Strong sence of responsibility but work long hours sometimes open to close everyday.
Great co-workers and fun atmosphere
Product Expert (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC8 July 2016
I worked at Future Shop for close to two years. I moved from entertainment to digital imagining then I moved to BC and they moved me to the Samsung store and then TVs eventually. I'd give the all around work experience a 7 but in terms of the people I'd give it a 9. Days weren't that long and they went by pretty quickly. I'm gonna be honest, with what Best Buy the company did to Future Shop and it's employees was underly horrible so its hard for me to say really much nice things about the company itself. But the store and people and atmosphere was top notch.
Pros
amazing crew, fooseball table in the break room, lots of help, great atmosphere
Cons
commission based, boring at times.
Thought I was selling computers...
Computer Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 July 2016
I went into the job with the title "Computer Salesmen" however after training it really felt like "Warrenty Salesmen" cause that really all I was selling. This job was not one of my favorites for sure, I was disappointed to now be selling something I myself wouldn't buy but I tried to move past that and just be honest with my customers on the warranties and surprisingly that worked and three months later I was comfortably selling computers and letting customers choose if they were interested in Warranties which sounds good except as a salesmen I was supposed to make commision on sales however trouble with my manager getting stuck in another country had me left without this, so I was still making my training wage 3 months later while my co workers used there name to take my sales, eventually I was switched to Stock where they wanted me to Stay until 3am, and as a transit rider I have no way to do that, so I made the decision to end my employment with them.
Pros
Job wasn't to bad
Cons
Mangers