We are part of Habitat for Humanity Canada - a national, non-profit, faith-based organization working for a world where everyone has a safe and decent place to live. Our mission is to mobilize volunteers and community partners in building affordable housing and promoting homeownership as a means to breaking the cycle of poverty. We work in partnership with people to improve the conditions in which they live. Habitat challenges individuals and communities to provide the initial capital, through gifts of in-kind materials and services and also of their time and skills, to build or renovate simple, decent homes in partnership with those who are inadequately sheltered. Houses are sold, with interest-free mortgages repaid over an extended amortization to selected families in need. The house payments are recycled to build more homes through a local Fund for Humanity.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) serves as the leader of Habitat for Humanity Greater Kingston & Frontenac, reporting to the Board of directors via the Executive Committee. Through leadership and direction the CEO works in partnership with the Board to ensure that this not for profit organization fulfills its mission, continuously strives towards its vision and that it creates strategies to ensure its future success.
The following represents some of the duties that the successful candidate would be responsible for:
- Represents the organization, or delegates representatives, to act on behalf of the organization in negotiations or other official functions.
- Oversees design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of the organization’s programs, products and services.
- Supports operations and administration of Board by advising and informing Board members; and interfaces between Board and staff.
- Collaborates with the Board to define and articulate the organization’s vision and strategic direction. Drafts a strategic plan for Board approval that ensures long-term viability of the organization.
- Successfully oversees the implementation of the annual operating plans, capital plans, policies and programs.
- Develops future leadership within the organization and provides the Board of Directors with annual succession plans for the organization.
- Assures the organization’s mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in a strong and positive image to relevant stakeholders.
- Recruits and manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations.
- Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including: identifying resources, research funding sources, strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating records and documentation.
- Promotes a culture that reflects the organization’s values; encourages good performance; rewards productivity; and ensures safety in all operations with both paid staff and volunteers.
- Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages organization's resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations.
- Identifies the principal risks of the business and mitigates. Ensures the implementation of systems to manage risks.
- Oversees operations and manages its compliance according to legal and regulatory requirements.
- Creates and maintains procedures for implementing plans approved by the Board of Directors.
- Evaluates the organization and staff performance on a regular basis based on pre-determined targets.
- Builds individual development plans with each direct report to continue to grow the talent level of the organization.
- Ensures that the Board of Directors is informed of all material alterations in organizational design.
- Ensures that staff and Board have up-to-date information on environmental factors affecting the organization’s governance and operations.
- 3 years experience in senior leadership roles.
- 5 - 10 years experience in supervisory role in Not-For-Profit sector.
- Preferred experience in Construction and/or Retail sectors.
- Post-Secondary diploma or degree in business-related and/or social arts program.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Effective at preparing and delivering presentations.
- Effective listening to the needs of all stakeholders.
- Comfortable with asking for support from external stakeholders.
- Can prepare, read, and interpret financial statements and reports.
- Proficiency with MicroSoft Office programs - Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
- Able to learn computer application software.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in making a real difference in the lives of deserving families and supporting our community, we'd love to hear from you!
Please submit your resume to:
Dana Walton, Recruiting Specialist
Future Focus Inc – High Performance Leadership
dwalton @ future-focus .ca
Deadline for submission is July 8th, 2013. We thank all applicants and advise that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We deliver practical business value to our clients through a range of professional SHRM consulting solutions and services and also through...