Fulton Hogan Employee Reviews

Good equipment, reasonable hours
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Wellington, ParaparaumuApril 4, 2016
Vehicle check before leaving the yard
Got the gear needed for the job
Communication was the key to the job & working together as a team

Management was mostly punctual & on time unless was called out to an emergency like an accident ect.

Co workers were good but you have up's & down's now & then.

Hardest part of the job was to think on your feet in a dire situation & explaining it through to your team so everybody knows exactly where to be & what their roll is. There's also heavy lifting involved, set up & break down of site's. Knowing the measurements of road length & signs. Safety of your team, clients & the public.

Enjoyable part of the job is that your outside & at a different site everyday to change of scenery. Also when everyone knows what the plan is & what they are doing it's easy going.
Pros
Lunch breaks were given when needed & the crew were well to work with.
Good, experienced people
Site Engineer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Nouvelle ZĂ©landeDecember 3, 2015
It's been good working for Fulton Hogan, they make you feel part of the FH family and invest in you with lots of training and the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects.
Pros
People, work ethics
Cons
Salary
Fun work
Construction worker (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, CanterburyMay 26, 2016
- Every morning you'd have to be highly motivated.
- You learn how new things every now and then
- managing to finishing a task you set can be difficult sometimes when you have unexpected barrier in the road
- working alongside a bunch of good co-workers is always the best.
- The hardest part of the job, I'd say is trying to complete a set goal.
- But the most enjoyable part of the job, I'd say is heads down work completing a job in the time given.
Pros
When our project manager shouts lunch
Productive and Great Place to Work
National Learning and Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VICNovember 30, 2015
Great place to work, with supportive management at all levels and family values culture.

Wonderful learning and development opportunities and working alongside a great bunch of people who are striving for the same goal.
Pros
flexibility, interstate travel
ok
Machine Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  New ZealandJune 26, 2016
It was work, but a better opportunity arose for me to relocate to perth so I took it.
Fulton Hogan is a great company unfortunately NZ's economy is not
Pros
income
Cons
workhard and long hours for an average wage
Always be prepared for changes in the day
assist the Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dry CreekSeptember 20, 2015
Both fortunate and unfortunate of not having a job title when I started. This allowed me to work over a large cross section of the company. I was able to use the skills I had developed over the years to assist the Project Manager in getting the job completed. From organising safety documentation to on site management. I was able to be a tradesman repairing plant in the morning, roller operator in the afternoon and finish line marking at the end.

A job not suited for everyone as you do work alone a lot and you don't have a constant Manager or supervisor so your work can go unnoticed or unappreciated. Also it is hard to explain to people what your job title is as you don't have one.
Pros
A great sense of personal achievement at the end of the day
Cons
Not knowing when you are going home
It is a great place for the interim, and to help them out while they needed another staff member
Cafe Assistant (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, HornbyOctober 16, 2015
The day would start at 6.30 and I would have particular sandwiches, rolls and sweet buns to make up, general food assistance.
I learnt a lot about speed and accuracy in my job, and the Management was lovely and very supportive. My Co-workers fantastic and helpful, the hardest part was trying not to eat the tasty food, and the most enjoyable was seeing people resting and relaxing in the cafe and the organised way of doing things there was well structured.
Pros
Free meal on break
Cons
The job was only Casual
amazing work place
traffic control / subcontractor (Former Employee) –  Nelson, SOctober 30, 2015
i loved working with fulton hogan it was great enviroment great team mates and a fantastic boss (mike gibney of nelson) i had amazing support and they under stood that i have children, all my needs were meet to high standards and the crew members were so amazing always happy,positive and supportive.. got sent on jobs with ashphalt and sealing crews and they were amazing to work with.. loved travelling with them to different places each day for work and even went away for a week and they supplied accomodation foood a overnight allowances each night we were all away. i dont have a bad word about fulton hogan i love the company and the values they support
Pros
free snacks on trainning coarses
Cons
i didnt have any
Safety driven,hard working culture,family orientated,with good work values
Foreman\supervisor (Former Employee) –  Albany North shore,AucklandJuly 11, 2012
i would start my day 6am in the yard organise the days job and what is required, have a daily tailgate with my crew and head to site. most of the guys were pretty good and others needed a bit more attention to get the job done safely and productively which at times was a good challenge for me.The hardest part of the job was to encourage the crew to work safely at all times sub contractors included and work together productively.The most enjoyable part of my day was to teach and up skill individuals for there self achievements.
Pros
company benefits and health insurance
If you're injured look for another job!
Apprentice carpenter (Former Employee) –  Southland InvercargillNovember 7, 2015
I worked for Fulton Hogan for approximately 3 years as a apprentice carpenter in the Civil Building Division located in Southland. At first the job was really great and I made a lot of really close friends. Things changed when I was injured on site which resulted in a severe back injury which required surgery. The management tried to cover up my injury stating that it did not happen at work. When I thought things couldn't get worse a FH manager took on himself visiting me uninvited at my house and accusing me of lying about my injury. After my back surgery I found out that the Regional Manager attempted to use character assassination which isolated me from my work friends. FH management didn't take the time to support me and my family when I was injured instead they just attacked my credibility as a person. I would not recommend working for the Southland Branch. I have talked to many senior management at FH which stated that the Southland branch is is known as the wild wild West with making up their own rules. My advice is not to be injured on the job if you are do not get FH to manage your ACC entitlements. Instead just say you injured yourself at home and have ACC manage your Injury.
Pros
Good workmates
Cons
Bad management practices
FULTON HOGAN
Traffic Controller, Road Works (Former Employee) –  Penrose, AucklandSeptember 17, 2015
I really enjoyed working for this company, The people are great to be among, general workers right through to the BIG bosses.
Overall Satisfaction 8/10
Pros
Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, christmas parties, transport, team building exercises, work functions such a corporate warriors box games etc.
Cons
Long hours, Must be dedicated & have very good communication.
good place to work
Excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  Mandurah WAMarch 2, 2016
everyone was good to work with and boss/s where easy going

day at work was doing the NBN as in pit and pipe/trenching on excavator.
wornderful learning enviroment
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Suva, FijiSeptember 17, 2015
A days work is never bored as we work on different types of machines and vehicle doing different jobs, at the same time learning new things and gaining new skills not only from work colleagues but also from management. Also we learn to operate new machines and attend training for particular programs regarding work.
Pros
Tea things provided during our Tea breaks and the occassional BBQ
Cons
sometimes work can be really slack
Awesome ground crew
Ground crew (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, WellingtonNovember 9, 2015
Can be good Company to work for, but old gear tho in Wellington . Can be sum long days. The ground crews are good to work with.
Pros
Good ground crews
Cons
Management not the best, company very top heavy
good place and top guys to work with
Concrete Labourer (Former Employee) –  bendigo precast yardAugust 23, 2015
hard work very productive in my almost 3 years working with fulton Hogan ive learnt a lot met a lot of people worked along side good blokes for abit shared and used ideas to help each other so stay within the time frames givin...
Pros
bunnings vouchers for good work and ideas
Cons
worked for this company for number of years
Driver (Current Employee) –  invercargillAugust 21, 2012
I found the workers to be good mates but management not good at all low wages long hours no recognition for the work we do low staff morale and this is a new zealand company no wonder they have a high staff turnover management needs to wake up otherwise there will be no one left including me this place used to be a good place to work but in the last few years under the curent management its been about the almighty dollar it used to be about the staff and family i hope they see this and make some changes but i doubt it
Pros
going home
Cons
long hours had to take extra work to pay the bills
great company with he resources to train there employees
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Albany, WAOctober 8, 2015
worked in a team of 12 in the heavy maintenance division that was responsible for stabalising road failures with in our network.
Pros
Training and everything provided
Great place to work.
Traffic Control (Former Employee) –  Mount Wellington, NMay 3, 2015
Working at Fulton Hogan has definitely changed the way I look at MTC's and just TC's in general. Great place to work and great people to work with.
Pros
Lunch breaks, great hours, good people, plenty work.
Cons
Long hours and weather conditions.
good enviroment with zero harm culture
operator specialist (Former Employee) –  taranaki new zealandFebruary 28, 2013
good enviroment with zero harm culture, co workers are hard working.Management were good.Hardest part of the job was working in the heat.Got to see the country side.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Good group of people, positive atmosphere
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland, NJune 29, 2015
AS a practical engineer, this allowed me to develop solutions to complete each stage of the project. My close relationship with the ground crew helped to maximise productivity and quality. This has a flow on effect ensuring the project schedule is advanced.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
The public

4.2