FRONTIER SCHOOL DIVISION Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
The hours i worked were awesome
Student Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Portage, MB6 September 2017
I worked with adult students ranging in age from 18-25, some were parents and the life issues they faced were different from regular high school. The rewards of this job was seeing these young adults successfully complete the provincial standard high school diploma
Teach the students, plan outdoor activities.
Secretary, Substitute teacher (Former Employee) –  Berens River, Manitoba7 July 2017
I have enjoyed working there with the students and all the staff at the Berens River School. There are a lot of nice people that work there. It a 7 hour shift working with the students.
Not a very good job
Substitute Teacher/Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norway House, MB16 June 2017
As a sub teacher/EA you are thrown into the fray without any formal training, where you have to work with special needs children and also your teaching a whole early years class.
School
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  South Indian Lake, MB30 July 2013
I enjoyed working with Oscar Blackburn School, there were great staff and students. I've gained almost three years experience working with great students, and the most enjoyable part I believe was building friendships with your students.
High paced work place
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Borchet Manitoba11 December 2012
Enjoyed working with the students and it gave me full satisfaction making a difference in the school.
Pros
making a difference for teh students and helping the staff.
Cons
only a term position.
Frontier Collegiate Institute
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Portage, MB25 August 2012
A unique school environment with many, many challenges for incoming teachers. Most students live at the school in crude dorms, a situation which is, in my opinion, the source of many of the problems teachers face at the school. Administration is bolstered by the fact that the division HQ is on the campus, but there is only so much a small group of people can do. Residence staff are inadequately trained (again -- my opinion).

School culture is one of extremely low expectations, so new and ambitious teachers are welcomed but then quickly drained.

One of the biggest problems I faced in my time at FCI was the lack of socialization between teachers. It was a long and lonely year. There didn't seem to even be much professional collaboration, even amongst teachers of the same subject. As a new teacher, I needed help and received virutally none, despite having a complete staff of highly-paid, subject-specific "consultants" in the Division offices.

The subsidized housing in a nice perk, but the houses themselves are basic and completely unfurnished.
Pros
subsidized housing, no utilities payments, live on campus, decent salary.
Cons
student population almost universally indifferent to being at school, very little effective discipline and almost zero accountability for student misconduct.