FRONTIER SCHOOL DIVISION Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
High paced work place
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Borchet ManitobaDecember 11, 2012
Enjoyed working with the students and it gave me full satisfaction making a difference in the school.
Pros
making a difference for teh students and helping the staff.
Cons
only a term position.
Frontier Collegiate Institute
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cranberry Portage, MBAugust 25, 2012
A unique school environment with many, many challenges for incoming teachers. Most students live at the school in crude dorms, a situation which is, in my opinion, the source of many of the problems teachers face at the school. Administration is bolstered by the fact that the division HQ is on the campus, but there is only so much a small group of people can do. Residence staff are inadequately trained (again -- my opinion).

School culture is one of extremely low expectations, so new and ambitious teachers are welcomed but then quickly drained.

One of the biggest problems I faced in my time at FCI was the lack of socialization between teachers. It was a long and lonely year. There didn't seem to even be much professional collaboration, even amongst teachers of the same subject. As a new teacher, I needed help and received virutally none, despite having a complete staff of highly-paid, subject-specific "consultants" in the Division offices.

The subsidized housing in a nice perk, but the houses themselves are basic and completely unfurnished.
Pros
subsidized housing, no utilities payments, live on campus, decent salary.
Cons
student population almost universally indifferent to being at school, very little effective discipline and almost zero accountability for student misconduct.

2.7