FriesenPress is a division of Friesens Corporation, an award-winning North American leader in the book industry. We have been recognized for our dedication to quality by the most demanding publishing clients. With 25 million books printed every year, including original editions of the popular Harry Potter series and the classic Oxford Dictionary, we have earned a reputation for excellence in our products, our customer service, and our management philosophy.
In business since 1907, we have received over the years more than 50 top international awards for the quality of our books and our management leadership. Recognized as one of Canada's Top 50 Best Managed Companies, our mission is to create raving fans out of our people and, by extension, our customers. We have always maintained that our company must have values that are part of a strong culture of service. Our shared culture, shared values and shared beliefs have been the foundation of our approach to customers, employees, and the community at large.
At FriesenPress, we are constantly looking for individuals who raise their personal bar and thrive to achieve outstanding results. We want to hire people who are eager to learn but also people we can learn from - people who can increase the overall effectiveness of the organization. If you feel that your personal and professional values align with ours, we invite you to join the FriesenPress family!
We are currently looking for Book Designers for our Downtown Victoria office. We offer an attractive package of benefits, including:
Excellent opportunities for career development and advancement in the field of book publishing
Full training suite including job shadowing, ongoing job training, and cross training
Extended medical and dental benefits
Group RRSP with matching contributions
The successful candidate will be responsible for performing digital prepress production work for our authors, including page composition, proofing, and preparation of book files for printing. This work includes the layout of black & white and color books, ebooks, book covers, and promotional materials.
Team Lead, Design
- Produce professionally designed books, including covers and interiors, in collaboration with our account managers and authors
- Collaborate with the account managers to ensure that the execution of the author’s vision meets or exceeds their expectations while adhering to professional standards of book design
- Create promotional materials that accompany book projects such as bookmarks, business cards, posters, banners and other print materials
- Consistently follow design guidelines to produce files ready for print and ebook output
- Perform pre-flighting of press-ready files, checking for quality and correctness of colors, fonts, and graphics
- Manipulate supplied files, including photo adjustments and enhancements, colorspace conversions and output of working files to .pdf format
- Maintain high standards while ensuring that production schedules and prepress service standards are strictly followed
- Ensure that customer requirements are clearly understood and implemented, providing outstanding service to both internal and external customers
- Review author materials for completeness and compliance with guidelines; resolve compliance issues in collaboration with the account managers
- Assess design complexities in author files and communicate the results of assessment to Account Managers
- Perform other job assignments as prescribed by the Team Lead, Design
- Ability to demonstrate advanced applied knowledge of Adobe's Creative Suite on a Mac with a focus on InDesign, as used for large documents is a plus
- Keen understanding of the application of character and paragraph styles as they apply to use in Word and InDesign documents is a must
- Excellent graphic design skills with portfolio of previous work
- A passion for type, books and printed materials
- Highly self-motivated with excellent problem-solving skills
- High level of initiative to achieve FriesenPress service level goals
- High degree of professionalism with strong interpersonal and communication skills. You are a natural coach, able to breakdown and explain design concepts to employees and clients that are not familiar with design, in a way that is understandable for them
- Ability to make sound business judgments to meet customer goals in the most cost-effective way for FriesenPress
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as required with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Keen attention to details that can make or break a project
- Minimum two years of professional experience
- Prior experience with CRM software would be an asset
- Prior book publishing experience would be an asset
- High School Diploma or higher - relevant schooling an asset
***Please note, we are not currently accepting applications for remote work arrangements. Nor are we accepting applications from those not living in the immediate vicinity of Victoria.
Compensation: $14 - $16 per hour
Please send your resume and cover letter.