FriesenPress is made up of a dynamic group of people. We're writers, editors, philosophers, photographers, filmmakers, dancers, musicians, artists, athletes, actors and entrepreneurs. What do we all have in common? We love stories!
FriesenPress is a division of Friesens Corporation, an award-winning North American leader in the book printing industry. In business since 1907, Friesens provides book-manufacturing services in the United States and Canada, with 25 million books printed every year, including original editions of the popular Harry Potter series and the classic Oxford Dictionary. Recognized over the years with numerous prestigious international awards, including Canada's Top 50 Best Managed Companies, for book quality and management leadership.
As a Canadian Self-Publisher, FriesenPress helps authors realize their dream of publishing their book. Our suite of products include various publishing packages containing a wide range of services including editing, book layout and design, channel distribution and marketing expertise. We pride ourselves in making “A Better Book”. Our shared culture, values and beliefs have been the foundation of our approach to customers, employees and the community at large.
At FriesenPress, we are constantly looking for individuals who constantly raise their personal bar and thrive when achieving outstanding results. We want to hire people who are eager to learn, but also people we can learn from - people who can increase the overall effectiveness of the organization. If you feel that your personal and professional values align with ours, we invite you to join the FriesenPress family!
We are currently looking for a Design Team Lead, for our Downtown Victoria office. We offer an attractive package of benefits, including:
- Salary wage
- Full training suite including job shadowing, ongoing job training, and cross training
- Extended medical and dental benefits
- Group RRSP with matching contributions
- Excellent opportunities for career development
A senior creative lead and junior leadership role, the Design Team Lead reports into the Director of Operations. The Design Team Lead is a working instructional designer; therefore, they must have full knowledge and application of the Adobe's Creative Suite, namely InDesign. Responsibilities include: coordinating workflow activities of the in-house Design team and freelance pool, supporting a full suite of design services and products to our authors and providing leadership and creative inspiration to the Book Design team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide ongoing technical training and support with the intention of creating consistency in processes, maximum efficiency and a knowledgebase that staff can leverage to increase the expertise delivered to authors.
- Stay apprised of industry trends and developments in the traditional and self-publishing arenas. The Design Team Lead is expected to apply, leverage and share this intelligence to guide in developing new products and strategy.
- Manage escalated authors, partners/suppliers and internal staff inquiries, ensuring follow-through, while maintaining a positive brand image.
- Manage all aspects of the workflow for the Book Design team to ensure all service level agreements, both internal and author facing, are adhered to.
- Develop and implement an ongoing strategy for the department, identify opportunities for new product offerings, suggest promotional activities and ensure the team is proactively capitalizing on all opportunities presented in their daily interactions.
- Deploy and support the ongoing application of a customer service strategy, which supports the intention that a “world class customer service” experience is consistently delivered to all authors in all interactions with FriesenPress staff.
- Create a culture that recognizes, rewards and encourages personal growth through empowerment and innovation.
- Manage the Book Design team including recruiting, training, mentoring, development and staff scheduling.
- Conduct performance reviews for the Book Design team, as well as ensuring periodic ongoing and regular formal and informal coaching is completed, in conjunction with the Operations Director.
- Build the FriesenPress brand by engaging key stakeholders at all levels.
- Participate as a key member of the leadership team to develop the strategy for the company as well as the associated tasks to ensure all targets are met.
- Other duties as assigned by the Operations Director of FriesenPress.
- Ability to demonstrate advanced applied knowledge of Adobe's Creative Suite on a Mac with a focus on InDesign, as used for large documents.
- Ability to become a Book Design subject matter expert.
- Minimum three to five years of related experience in the Design Industry.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed professional.
- Strong relationship building skills with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent display of critical thinking, creativity and innovation; administrative, organizational and time-management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to offer world-class customer service standards in person, on phone and via email, a passion to go above and beyond customer expectations and an ability to inspire similar behavior within a team.
- Experience coaching a team for inspiring creativity and ongoing design development.
- Ability to defuse tense situations/deal respectfully and effectively with challenging authors.
- Prior leadership roles and/or management experience preferred.
- Advanced Computer literacy and prior use of CRM.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Prior book publishing knowledge would be an asset.
- Post Secondary Education in a related field.
If you meet the above criteria and would like to apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume. We look forward to hearing from you!