Free The Children

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
work enviornment
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
young and full of energy but pay is so low. If you are recent grad, then it is not a bad choice to start.

Messy management and overflated titles.

People there is nice.
Productive and helpful
We Scare Hunger, Food Collector (Volunteer Work) (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON1 June 2016
I got to go house to house on evenings collecting food for the hunger. It has a very nice purpose and I enjoyed helping the community. I met very nice local people and so many people willing to donate food.
Positive and professional environment with a purpose
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2015
Administrative intern at Me2We trips
Trips office organized school trips to third world countries in Africa, Asia, and South America
Office administration work consisted of creating complete participant profiles (medical, travel insurance etc), keeping up communications with participants to prepare paperwork for trip, excel and access database work to record information
Assist in funding projects, creating Powerpoint presentations for potential donors, highlighting exceptional candidates and why they could use donations for trip
Assist in Free The Children events during the summer
Hardest part of the job is participants not having required documents or complications due to travel visas, or not enough funds for trip
Most enjoyable part of the job is helping coworkers and clients meet organizational needs and a job well done
Pros
Great people
Cons
Sometimes not enough work, or work comes to a standstill while waiting on documentation
Fun
We Day (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 May 2015
I was a volunteer, I enjoyed it very much. We helped set up merchandise booths and gift bags. It was a very positive environment with lots of positive people. This was a very great experience and was lots of fun.
Pros
Free lunches, meet new people, be apart of an empowering movement.
Cons
No cons it was beautiful
An inspiring organization to be in and it makes you really determend to make your ideas happen.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey B.C & Vancouver B.C10 March 2015
Free The Children is an international charity and educational partner. It's basically an organization where children are free to express their ideas and their fullest potential.
Good
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 September 2014
Great experience, nice people, good management, would do it again.
Free the Children: Volunteered with my school to sell calendars
Calendar Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 July 2013
This was simply volunteer work in which, I approached teachers and parents in order to sell calenders. When sold, the money would go the free the children organization. My co-workers were cooperative and we all designed the calendars with equal contribution. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing we were helping people and the hardest part was finding a place to print the calendars.
Productive and fun place to work at
Youth & Educational Resources Intern (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 June 2013
On any given work day one could see me doing chiefly 3 things: 1) coordinating the assembly & mailing of sourcing material to S. Asia, Europe & across N. America 2) Organizing & instructing volunteers on how to assemble sourcing material 3) Data entry and administrative work to support youth engagement. This was my first full-time administrative support role and the most important things that I learned were to maintain office supplies and equipment and to monitor inventory. The biggest challenge I faced in this role was coordinating and scheduling volunteers. These were usually large teams of up to 20 people and often children as young as 7 and adults above 40 years would be working in the same group. Instructing in a way that everybody could follow, was a big achievement. And I was able to get the job done by communicating clearly and precisely- often in writing. My co-workers were also of great help, since they would offer assistance whenever I asked of them. Having such great coworkers was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Free breakfasts, autonomy, great boss
Cons
Often physically challenging; eg: heavy boxes were required to be moved around
A lively environment and friendly co-workers
Me to We' dancer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2013
I was a dancer for Free the Children and Me to We. I learned a choreography, presented it to the audience, livened, and cheered the crowd . The dance was performed as a group but focus and practice was needed by each individual. Me to We had such a lively atmosphere and the co-workers were very enthusiastic and friendly.
Pros
The job itself is fun, and free lunches were provided