Position Available: Youth Programming Manager, Western Canada
Are you a person who enjoys challenges and making a difference in the world?
Free The Children is the world’s largest network of children helping children through education. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with four nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations and Oprah's Angel Network.
Free The Children seeks a dynamic Youth Programming Manager who will manage the Vancouver based Western Canada Youth Programming teams. The Youth Programming Manager will become an integral member of the planning and execution for We Day Vancouver and We Day Alberta, organize and administer campaigns, and serve as an ambassador and speaker for the organization. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to manage team members, work flow and projects, and have previous experience in a leadership/management capacity.
Our work environment appeals to self-directed, flexible team players who have great interpersonal skills, learn quickly, and relish the opportunity to develop and execute retention strategies to promote long-term youth engagement.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s office in Vancouver, British Columbia and is a full-time salaried position requiring a minimum two-year commitment. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
Please e-mail your resume, a cover letter, and two short writing samples. While resumes are important, we also want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
Team and Stakeholder Management
- Report directly to the Western Canada Director of Operations
- Support, train, and manage a team of Youth Programming Coordinators and Outreach Speakers who work within British Columbia and Alberta
- Coordinate and manage youth outreach and engagement; oversee the establishment of the We Act Program and We Act groups across schools in Western Canada
- Ensure high conversion rate and retention of involved stakeholders
- Represent Free The Children at meetings, conferences, and school presentations
- Deliver speeches and presentations to both youth and adults (audiences of all sizes)
- Offer advice, guidance, and support to Free The Children youth members, youth coordinators and speakers as necessary
- Co-develop strategies for British Columbia and Alberta expansion
- Co-develop strategies for We Day Vancouver and We Day Alberta registration
- Develop and administer innovative youth engagement strategies and campaigns
- Create leadership opportunities and projects to foster the growth and development of team members
- Use of internal database and Salesforce to run reports, support the youth team, and pull pertinent information as needed for the Director or Operations
- Setting and managing multiple team priorities
- Liaise with our headquarters in Toronto ensuring open communication and in-line organizational priorities
Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree preferably in Political Science, Economics, Business, International Development/Relations, etc and/or provide evidence of equivalent practical field/work experience
- Sound understanding of human and children rights issues at local, national and international level
- Experience leading and managing a small to medium sized team
- Ability to set and manage multiple team priorities
- Positive attitude and ability to work as a team player
- Experience working with and/or mentoring children and young people
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational, administrative and inter-personal skills
- Be able to multi-task and make decisions under pressure in a demanding and fast work environment
- Flexible and adaptable when dealing with competing priorities and on tight deadlines
- Strong knowledge of the BC/Alberta education system
- Experience working with basic word processing and financial software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel) and knowledge of databases
- Valid driver’s license
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then
push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people,
unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days, and your personal values align with our
core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview
will be contacted.