Position Available: Youth Programming Intern (Vancouver, BC)
Are you a person who enjoys challenges and making a difference in the world?
Free The Children is the world’s largest network of children helping children through education. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with four nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations and Oprah's Angel Network.
Free The Children seeks a Youth Programming Intern to join our Western Canada office in Vancouver, BC. This administrative position resides within the Youth Programming Department, which develops and implements programming that engages youth and educators in learning and action (raising funds and awareness) in support of Free The Children’s community development work overseas and other local issues.
An eight month commitment is required. The Intern will be provided with a stipend of $1000/month. The position is based out of Free The Children’s office in Vancouver, British Columbia (228 East Georgia Street).
Please quote “Youth Programming Intern” in the subject line. We want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. This position is available as soon as possible.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Engage new schools and youth in the Washington portfolio through phone calls and email
- Book outreach for the Youth Programming Coordinators and Outreach Speakers in this portfolio to support growth and engagement, and the use of Free The Children programming
- Initiate contact with new schools to sign-up and attend We Day Seattle, support with pre and post We Day responsibilities, including phone call and email follow up
General and Administrative:
- Actively support the Youth Programming Coordinators in the Washington portfolio and Youth Programming Manager
- Prepare and provide regular reports on the status of the portfolio and activities (e.g. sign-ups for speeches)
- Follow-up on communication with schools with clerical duties which might include updating existing databases with the changes and the status of each contact and preparing packages
- Keeping contact information up-to-date for the Youth Programming Coordinators and Outreach Speakers to maintain meaningful relationships
- Provide other administrative support within the department as required
Reporting and Relationships:
- The Youth Programming Intern will report directly to the Youth Programming Manager and will support the Youth Programming Manager and Director of Operations. They will also support Youth Programming Coordinators to ensure collaborative efforts drive desired results.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Post-Secondary education preferred, or in progress
- Sound understanding of Excel (conditional formatting, filters, creating charts, sorting lists, counting and summing formulas)
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work well both independently and within a team setting
- Experience working with databases and/or relationship management tools
- Willingness to carry out a range of administrative tasks with high attention to detail
- Commitment to maintaining accurate and detailed files, databases and work logs
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to time-manage and multi-task in a demanding and fast-paced work environment
- Positive and professional attitude, drive and enthusiasm to carry out projects to conclusion
- Demonstrated flexibility and initiative, particularly when faced with challenges
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then
push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people,
unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days, and your personal values align with our
core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview
will be contacted.