Position Available: We 365, Writer and Researcher
Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a strong and talented Writer and Researcher to join our We365 Team. The We365 Writer and Researcher serves to support the team in any writing and research development required for the launch of a new website and app that will engage youth with a desire to create change. The We365 Writer Researcher will report to their department manager. A minimum two-year commitment is required.
A minimum two-year commitment is required and there are two streams of compensation for our entry level coordinator roles:
The Housing option compensation offers a base salary
- Year 1: $20,000 plus shared accommodation included
- Year 2: $22,000 plus shared accommodation included
The Non-Housing option compensation offers a base salary
- Year 1: $27, 500
- Year 2: $29, 500
There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program. The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). This role is perfect for a new graduate who is looking to grow and work hard for two years. You love big goals and surpassing expectations.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Write and/or edit clear, persuasive, original copy for social media platform/digital space, and a range of online marketing campaigns, print and press
- Develop and edit resources for target markets
- Edit and/or create resources on international development and youth empowerment topics
- Conduct research, compile and interpret statistics on social issues and policy research
- Work in a close-knit creative partnership with project coordinators, graphic designers, and other departments to generate workable concepts and ideas
- Amend, revise or redevelop campaigns and other existing materials in response to feedback from stakeholders
- Work on several projects at once, under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Proofread copy to check spelling and grammar
- Oversee campaigns through the production stage to completion
- Keep up to date with popular culture and trends, particularly in the digital space
Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous experience with writing and copy editing, samples required. Must have experience writing for youth
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or equivalent experience
- Experience writing for the digital space is considered an asset
- Understanding of how to properly cite sources and conduct research via web (and beyond)
- Sound understanding of social justice issues at local, national and international levels
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with excellent command of the English language
- Be able to multi-task in a demanding and fast work environment
- Excellent organizational, administrative, communication and inter-personal skills
- Willing to work long hours and be a dedicated member of the We365 team
- A positive flexible attitude with a strong initiative and excellent organizational skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills, particularly in advertorial copy
- Creative flair
- Social Media savvy
- Accuracy and an eye for detail
- Organization and communication
- Ability to write concise and engaging copy for different markets, ranging from corporate to elementary school audiences
- Good research skills
- Able to juggle multiple projects while meeting demanding deadlines, producing high quality work and projecting a positive attitude
- Able to work both independently and in a small team with minimal supervision
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.