Position Available: Writer and Editor
Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a strong and talented Writer and Editor to work in our Creative and Communications Department. This position will involve writing copy for a range of media, including web and print. The ideal candidate will have exceptional communication skills, the ability to meet tight deadlines and a strong commitment to social justice. Potential projects will target a variety of audiences and may include web content, marketing materials (including pamphlets, brochures, posters, etc), educator and youth resource guides, books, newspaper and magazine articles and more.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). A minimum two-year commitment is expected. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Write/and or edit clear, persuasive, original copy for web/digital, print ads, online marketing, brochures, leaflets, radio or television scripts, posters, press
- Develop and edit resources for educators and students
- Edit and/or create resources on international development and youth empowerment topics
- Conduct research, compile and interpret statistics on social issues and policy research
- Work in a close-knit creative partnership with other writers, communications coordinators, graphic designers and other departments to generate workable concepts and ideas
- Amend, revise or redevelop campaigns and other existing materials in response to feedback from stakeholders
- Work on several projects at once, under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Proofread copy to check spelling and grammar
- Oversee campaigns through the production stage to completion
- Keep up to date with popular culture and trends
- Assist Creative and Communications department members with tasks as required
Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous experience with writing and copy editing, samples required
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or equivalent experience with a background in one or more areas of Political Science, Marketing, Publishing, International Development/Relations, etc.
- Sound understanding of social justice issues at local, national and international levels
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with excellent command of the English language
- Be able to multi-task in a demanding and fast work environment
- Excellent organizational, administrative, communication and inter-personal skills
- Willing to work long hours and be a dedicated member of the Me to We team
- A positive flexible attitude with a strong initiative and excellent organizational skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Creative flair
- Accuracy and an eye for detail
- Organization and communication
- Ability to write concise and engaging copy for different markets, ranging from corporate to elementary school audiences
- Good research skills
- Able to juggle multiple projects while meeting demanding deadlines, producing high quality work and projecting a positive attitude
- Able to work both independently and in a small team with minimal supervision
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.