Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our
organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a strong and talented Writer & Editor who will be reporting directly to the Associate Director, Show Programming & Producer, We Day Production team. The Writer & Editor serves to support the Show Programming & Production team in writing all show scripts for the We Day tour, and editing related materials for We Day. The position includes a wide range of journalistic elements, including researching, interviewing and writing for a live event. The ideal candidate will have strong writing abilities, experience writing for youth, impeccable research and interview skills and a firm understanding of video production and live-show practices.
The We Day work environment appeals to self directed, flexible team players who enjoy multi- tasking and working in a fast paced environment. A passion for event planning and logistics combined with an interest in social justice is an asset.
A minimum two-year commitment is required and there are two streams of compensation for our entry level coordinator roles:
The Housing option
- Year 1: $20,000 plus shared accommodation included
- Year 2: $22,000 plus shared accommodation included
- Year 1: $27, 500
- Year 2: $29, 500
There is a three (3) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). This role is perfect for a new graduate who is looking to grow and work hard for two years. You love big goals and surpassing expectations.
Please apply online at http://www.freethechildren.com/about-us/careers/
Please include writing samples. Résumés without samples will not be reviewed.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Write and/or edit clear, persuasive, original copy for all We Day live events appealing to our youth audience
- Conduct research, compile and distribute talent speaking notes as needed
- Attend all production meetings and take accurate, detailed, clear and concise notes of required revisions
- Ability to adapt to Free The Children and We Day’s voice and style
- Communicate effectively in writing to meet the needs of the broadcast and live-event audience
- Work on several show scripts simultaneously , under pressure and tight deadlines
- Copy-editing for all scripts, proposals and written materials
- Edit show and sponsor scripts as directed and needed
- Keep up to date with popular culture and trends, particularly amongst youth in Canada, USA the UK.
- Work closely with We Day Show Programming & Production team to brainstorm ideas for show content and review content
- Monitor news media on regular basis to be informed of current affairs and development issues.
- Working on other writing materials required for the We Day team such as proposals, invitations, informational packages, etc as needed.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Previous experience with writing and copy-editing, samples required. Must have experience writing for youth
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism or equivalent experience
- Experience in creative writing is an asset
- Sound understanding of social justice issues at local, national and international levels
- Superior written and oral communication skills, with excellent command of the English language
- Excellent organizational, administrative, communication and inter-personal skills
- Willing to work long hours and different time zones and be a dedicated member of the We Day Show Programming & Production Team
- A positive flexible attitude with a strong initiative and excellent organizational skill
- Excellent writing and editing skills, particularly in advertorial copy
- Creative flair and detail oriented
- Excellent research, organization and communication skills.
- Ability to write concise and engaging copy for different stakeholders , ranging from corporate to elementary and high school audiences
- Able to multi-task and manage many projects while meeting demanding deadlines, producing
- high quality work and projecting a positive attitude
- Able to work both independently and within team setting with minimal supervision
- Experience working with a teleprompter is an asset
- Must be willing to travel for extended periods of time
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people,
unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you.
Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.