Position Available: Special Events Manager, We Day
Are you a self motivated and driven person who is organized and enthusiastic about supporting youth and educators in making a difference in the world?
Free The Children empowers youth to fulfill their potential to be agents of change. Through our organization's unique youth-driven approach, more than one million young people have been involved in our innovative programs in more than 45 countries. Founded by international child rights activist Craig Kielburger, Free The Children has an established track-record of success, with three nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize and partnerships with the United Nations, and Oprah's Angel Network. In 2011 Free The Children, was awarded Canada’s Top Employer for Young People for our amazing opportunities for young employees!
Free The Children seeks a We Day Special Events Manager who will manage the various external events accompanying the honoured guest experience at Free The Children’s signature event, We Day. We Day is more than just one day of celebration and inspiration. We Day is the movement of our time – a movement of young people leading local and global change. Harnessing the energy and passion of a young community of change makers, We Day brings youth together in an unparalleled setting to show them that they are not alone in their journey to make a difference
The We Day work environment appeals to self directed, flexible team players who enjoy multi- tasking and working in a fast paced environment. A passion for event planning and logistics combined with an interest in social justice is an asset.
The position is based out of Free The Children’s International office in Toronto (233 Carlton Street). A minimum two-year commitment is expected. Salary is to be negotiated. There is a six (6) month probationary period, upon reaching the three (3) month period, all staff members are offered a health plan including dental and Employee Assistant Program.
While resumes are important, we want to know what makes you a great fit for our team and culture. We will consider resumes on a rolling basis and would like the right person to join us as soon as possible.
- Report to and take direction from the Associate Director of We Day
- Support the planning, management and implementation of the entire We Day experience for all honoured guest stakeholder groups (i.e. donors, educational partners, sponsors, etc.)
- Support the honoured guest team in their daily tasks as needed
- Manage a team of two co-ordinators
- Lead the creation, development and implementation of the following for the honoured guest experience at We Days and all related events:
o Guest List
o Online registration system
o Invitations and all related communication materials
o Follow up
o Gifts for special guests
- Lead the planning, development and implementation of the following at all external events related to the honoured guest We Day experience:
o Special event rundowns
o Print materials
o Gift bags
o Venue relationship
o Technical requirements
o Seating arrangements
Skills and Qualifications:
- Possess a degree/qualification preferably in event planning, project management, hospitality or related field;
- Minimum of 2 years previous work experience, preferably in event planning (experience with VIPs an asset);
- Experience managing a team of full time employees;
- Strong inter-personal skills;
- Enjoys working in a demanding, fast paced work environment and flexible with work hours;
- Highly self – motivated and independent, a strategic thinker;
- Able to perform well and problem solve in high stress, dynamic and changing situations;
- Detail oriented with strong attention to effective task completion;
- Comfortable working with and delegating to senior management;
- Comfortable working with external stakeholders;
- Positive and professional attitude and able to work as a team player;
- Excellent time management, organization and multi-tasking skills;
- Sound understanding of and experience working with Microsoft Office Suites (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Experience using/developing online registration systems is an asset.
What makes Free The Children unique…
A Top Employer for Young People, Free The Children is filled with passionate, driven, hardworking, entrepreneurial, shameless idealists, this means we work late, set high goals and exceed them, and then push hard the following year to beat and exceed last year’s goals of empowering youth to change the world.
If you are looking for a predictable 9-5 work environment, this won’t be the right fit.
If you are inspired and excited by collaboration, making friendships with the most incredible people, unique additional responsibilities like working on our We Days and your personal values align with our core values, we would love to hear from you. Free The Children sincerely thanks all those who apply, however only those considered for an interview will be contacted.